The Science of Real Super Powers

Bloodstone

This thread is intended to be a collection of links about:

- real world advances in drugs, prosthetic, cybernetics, gene manipulation, etc that can produce "super powers". The technology doesn't have to be available right now, so long as it's reasonably "near future".

- people with extraordinary abilities, though preferably not ones that just any old person could learn through practice (I'd prefer not to have a bajillion video's on parkour and such. Plenty of other threads for that.)

- technological advances in weapons, armor or gadgets that might be useful for your average costumed crime fighter (though hopefully this won't turn into just another gun or Apple vs the World thread).

I'll start off with this little gem:

Photographic Memory Pill

Re: The Science of Real Super Powers

I've seen a couple of articles for providing some sort of "sight" for the blind using a camera connected to a tactile "display" interface, one that turns the camera field into an array of touch pixels, as it were. The latest trend seems to be to have the "display" be in the user's mouth on the surface of the tongue. There's a brief announcement of one of these here, but I've seen a more sophisticated version (more "pixels", smaller format) in a hard-copy magazine.

Though the impetus for these involves replacing sight in the visual region, I can't think of any reason you couldn't do this in any waveband where you can make a functional camera and adequately fast image processing software. So you want vision in the UV, or soft X-rays? Or a version in visible light with greatly enhanced color discrimination? Here's your non-invasive interface. With the ability to choose between different cameras and/or filter sets, you should be able to swap vision capacity at will. The limits seem to be the tactile resolution of the skin surface (which I think is one reason why the "display" is on the tongue; that's a very sensitive surface with very good spatial resolution that is more or less available full time, unlike the hands, which is blind person has other uses for).

This does seem like a possibility for getting "?-ray" vision, where "?" is whatever you want.

Some new robots are being tested by the military.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35342[/ATTACH]

I saw a video where this machine was walking successfully on rough terrain and compensating for slipping on ice. Current thought s on military application is for carrying equipment in rough terrain and to help medevac wounded. I can't help but draw a comparison to the airplanes of pre/early WW I who's initial use was very limited as a support/recon platform but later when bombs and guns added the machine ended up revolutionizing warfare.

Joseph Greenstein, the Mighty Atom, legendary performing strongman, martial artist, and widely believed to be the inspiration for the Golden Age comic-book hero the Atom (Al Pratt). Only 5'5" tall and 140 lbs., Greenstein continued performing into his 80s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Greenstein

http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/strongmen/the_mighty_atom.html

http://www.beezone.com/MightyAtom/the_mighty_atom.html

While we are talking robots, I always really liked this video, and believe something like this is well within the realm of possibility:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snfc_wNWqSU&feature=PlayList&p=E64A509455147F18&index=6

Someday these robots will defend our streets, seek out and kill Sara Connor, and enslave us under their cruel, robotic fists!

Invisibility cloak created in 3-D (link)

Also, I read a recent article on artificial limbs which had me thinking in gaming/supers terms, (link). It's from the March 4th edition of The Economist, titled "A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION".

His goal is to

augment people's limbs with what he calls a "mobility platform", akin

to a pair of magic trousers, that allows people to move quickly with

minimal effort--like riding a bicycle, but without the bicycle.

As well as enhancing the lives of disabled people, Dr Herr's work on

exoskeletons--the precursors of his planned mobility platforms--could

make life easier for able-bodied people, too. By contrast with the

bulky, cumbersome exoskeletons featured in science-fiction movies like

"Aliens" and "Avatar", or those being developed for military use, Dr

Herr's devices are smaller and lighter, and will require much less

power. This will, he hopes, allow people to walk and run greater

distances, or carry heavier loads, than they would otherwise be able to.

Dr Herr's work also includes 'powered' artificial limbs...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...