So....the Universe....Discuss!

RexMundi

In the name of SCIENCE! Hell's where's Nyrath when you need him.......

Regardless......THIS, little article here i thought had some potential Game Impacting stuff, that if expanded by the real science brains here, could be interesting.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2010/04/does-our-universe-live-inside-a-.html

Discuss....Possible, Probable, No Way In Hell, Or OMG we're going down the Drain!

~Rex

Re: So....the Universe....Discuss!

I'm going to assume my tried-and-true "wait and see" stance on this idea; if there actually is something to this theory, I'd expect it to convince at least some other experts and eventually catch on to the point where I hear about it again. I'm nowhere near good enough at higher math and theoretical physics to even try to check it for possible errors myself, I fear. :o

(From a mostly-layman's perspective, mind, I agree with the comments on that site that state that this model just shifts the question from "where does our universe come from?" to "okay, so where did that other universe come from?". Even if shown to be plausible, it's not the Final Answer to the Great Question of the Ultimate Start Of All Things.)

Not sure how I'd use this in a game just yet, either. The concept is a bit too, well, big for most conceivable groups of player characters to really interact with in a meaningful fashion.

Well, the idea that our universe might be the one which is responsible for causality violations and chronoentropic disintegration of other "nearby" universes is interesting. Sounds like a great possibility for a trans-cosmic plot arc: yes, there is a league of supers from other dimensions ... multiple ones ... trying to destroy our entire Universe. But, when confronted, it turns out that they are doing it to save a number ... perhaps an infinite number ... of other universes. Time for a great good-versus-good conundrum, I suppose.

The initial concept, and whole trend of discussion on this thread -- "cosmic crapper," "Lovecraftian horrors" -- actually reminds me of the official Hero Universe. The structure of its Multiverse is partly inspired by Kabbalism, including the concept of the Qliphoth. In the HU the Qliphoth is a "dark mirror" of the reality we know, made up of universes created before our own, so ancient and decayed that they're antithetical to matter, energy, and life as we know it. Many horrors dwell in or originate from the Qliphothic worlds, and some of godlike power have invaded our universe in the primordial past. The Qliphothic universes, and eventually all of reality, are indeed "draining" toward ultimate annihilation. The "drainhole," a type of multiversal black hole, could fairly be described as "God's sphincter": Quemetiel, or "Crowd of Gods," is an immeasurably huge and powerful, but insensate and mindless ring-shaped lifeform (or anti-lifeform) made up of the remnants of gods from destroyed worlds. It's constantly sucking existence through itself and into Unbeing.

(From a mostly-layman's perspective' date=' mind, I agree with the comments on that site that state that this model just shifts the question from "where does our universe come from?" to "okay, so where did that [i']other[/i] universe come from?". Even if shown to be plausible, it's not the Final Answer to the Great Question of the Ultimate Start Of All Things.)

Sure, but that's not the goal. As much as pop culture likes to think of the Big Bang as an iconic Beginning Of Everything, it's really just an event to be investigated.

The initial concept' date=' and whole trend of discussion on this thread -- "cosmic crapper," "Lovecraftian horrors" -- actually reminds me of the official Hero Universe. The structure of its Multiverse is partly inspired by Kabbalism, including the concept of the [b']Qliphoth[/b]. In the HU the Qliphoth is a "dark mirror" of the reality we know, made up of universes created before our own, so ancient and decayed that they're antithetical to matter, energy, and life as we know it. Many horrors dwell in or originate from the Qliphothic worlds, and some of godlike power have invaded our universe in the primordial past. The Qliphothic universes, and eventually all of reality, are indeed "draining" toward ultimate annihilation. The "drainhole," a type of multiversal black hole, could fairly be described as "God's sphincter": Quemetiel, or "Crowd of Gods," is an immeasurably huge and powerful, but insensate and mindless ring-shaped lifeform (or anti-lifeform) made up of the remnants of gods from destroyed worlds. It's constantly sucking existence through itself and into Unbeing.

Then presumably at the other end, Creation is a perpetual (not to mention Eternal) ongoing process by which new universes come into being, fall from "Grace" (i.e. manifest in entropic Time) and are inexorably drawn towards their ultimate dissolution and oblivion? Yeah, I've seen this idea before (over twenty years ago in fact.)

But it's an awful lot to read into a very vague and brief piece of popular science journalism.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks Lovecraft references are only called for if the scientists claim the wormholes contain actual WORMS...

Then presumably at the other end, Creation is a perpetual (not to mention Eternal) ongoing process by which new universes come into being, fall from "Grace" (i.e. manifest in entropic Time) and are inexorably drawn towards their ultimate dissolution and oblivion? Yeah, I've seen this idea before (over twenty years ago in fact.)

But it's an awful lot to read into a very vague and brief piece of popular science journalism.

I once read a remark by Roger Zelazny to the effect that the inspiration for his entire "Amber" series came from a line in one of Philip Jose Farmer's "World of Tiers" novels. You never know what a writer's fevered imagination will take flight from. And we're gamers, so we're even more fevered. :D