Beating Dr. Destroyer...how do (or did) you do it?

megaplayboy

Re: Beating Dr. Destroyer...how do (or did) you do it?

If the method of beating Dr. Destroyer involves a VPP and a power with more than +2 in advantages, it's probably not a kosher approach. ;)

At the very least, as a GM, I'd have two requirements--explain the sfx of the power in a way that makes sense and justifies the particular advantages, and then justify it in terms of the sfx of the character's powers and in terms of things they've already done with their powers. If it takes more than a couple minutes to work up an explanation, it's out.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC, Doc's defences are all hardened. But only once.

IMCU Primus has a tool for dealing with rogue heros. It's a high velocity, rapid-fire rail gun that fires 1mm tungstun steel darts.

In game terms it's a 1/2D6 Penetrating Autofire X10 RKA, OAF Rail Gun.

For anyone with more than 6 PD it is impossible for this attack to do Stun. But each hit will do exactly one Body to anyone without Resistant and Hardened PD.

For Doc you could upgrade it to Penitrating X2

IIRC, Doc's defences are all hardened. But only once.

IMCU Primus has a tool for dealing with rogue heros. It's a high velocity, rapid-fire rail gun that fires 1mm tungstun steel darts.

In game terms it's a 1/2D6 Penetrating Autofire X10 RKA, OAF Rail Gun.

For anyone with more than 6 PD it is impossible for this attack to do Stun. But each hit will do exactly one Body to anyone without Resistant and Hardened PD.

For Doc you could upgrade it to Penitrating X2

I would recommend that your Rail Gun be a 1d6RKA Penetrating Autofire x5 (that way you will do 1 body on an average roll, the half die only does a body on a roll of 6). Also against a foe who has a DCV base of 10 and 8 levels that apply in combat doubling the autofire to x10 is just a waste of points and Charges. YOu will be completely lucky to hit with 2 of those penetrating shots. Also all of Dr D's defenses are hardened. so you would have to go to double penetrating. To body him out would take so long that it wouldn't be worth it (he has 30 body). BTW don't forget that you take 1 Stun with every 1 Body taken :D

On top of that, does it really fit the genre to be looking to Kill the mastervillain?

I think that the full power version in Book of the Destroyer can fend off fairly power heroes. With an average of CV 14 he's pretty hard to hit and when you do his 40rDef Hardened will take the brunt out of any attacks DC 12 or less. The heroes will need at least dc 16 attacks to actually start to do stun to him (DC 14 is actually the minimum, but with his 30 REC, DC16 is better). He also has every special def (ie Power Def, Mental Def etc) at a high level and also hardened.

Thank goodness that BotD has lower powered versions plus the historical (Lower powered) versions of his armor. That way you can tailor him to better fit your campaign (also there are writeups of him for all of the other major Genres)

I think that high powered heroes with lots of teamwork and some luck to take him down in a stand up fight.

Also all of Dr D's defenses are hardened. so you would have to go to double penetrating.

They may be Hardened, but are they also Impenetrable? Under 6E, these are two different Advantages -- Hardened no longer stops both AP and Penetrating at once (6E1 147 for reference).

(Of course, whether it's entirely fair to apply 6E rules to a character for whom -- I think -- no 6E writeup exist yet is another question altogether, but Dr. D might just deserve it. ;))

I would recommend that your Rail Gun be a 1d6RKA Penetrating Autofire x5 (that way you will do 1 body on an average roll, the half die only does a body on a roll of 6). Also against a foe who has a DCV base of 10 and 8 levels that apply in combat doubling the autofire to x10 is just a waste of points and Charges. YOu will be completely lucky to hit with 2 of those penetrating shots. Also all of Dr D's defenses are hardened. so you would have to go to double penetrating. To body him out would take so long that it wouldn't be worth it (he has 30 body). BTW don't forget that you take 1 Stun with every 1 Body taken :D

On top of that, does it really fit the genre to be looking to Kill the mastervillain?

I think that the full power version in Book of the Destroyer can fend off fairly power heroes. With an average of CV 14 he's pretty hard to hit and when you do his 40rDef Hardened will take the brunt out of any attacks DC 12 or less. The heroes will need at least dc 16 attacks to actually start to do stun to him (DC 14 is actually the minimum, but with his 30 REC, DC16 is better). He also has every special def (ie Power Def, Mental Def etc) at a high level and also hardened.

Thank goodness that BotD has lower powered versions plus the historical (Lower powered) versions of his armor. That way you can tailor him to better fit your campaign (also there are writeups of him for all of the other major Genres)

I think that high powered heroes with lots of teamwork and some luck to take him down in a stand up fight.

Just to note--per the writeup in BotD, Dr. D. does not put levels into his DCV. It's part of his psych complication that he arrogantly disdains defense, for the most part.

Okay, here's a writeup of a character who could go toe to toe with Dr. D, at least for a while:

Kid Vanguard

100 STR 90

30 DEX 40

50 CON 40

15 INT 5

20 EGO 10

25 PRE 15

10 OCV 35

10 DCV 35

7 OMCV 12

7 DMCV 12

40 PD 38

40 ED 38

8 SPD 60

30 REC 26

100 END 16

100 STUN 40

25 BODY 15

527 characteristics

40 Resistant for PD/ED

20 Hardened for PD/ED

20 Impenetrable for PD/ED

30 50% rPD reduction

30 50% rED reduction

75 Flight 60m at half END

25 Half End cost-STR

10 Flash defense--sight

10 Mental defense

20 Power defense

40 Life Support

10 N-ray vision

30 30 m knockback resistance

25 10m flight, megascale(up to 1m=10km, can scale down to 1km), half end cost

385 powers

3 Streetwise 14-

3 Oratory 14-

3 Tactics 12-

3 Teamwork 15-

50 5 levels all combat

3 +1 rep--world's mightiest teen, 14-

6 +2 Striking Appearance

3 AK: Campaign City, 12-

3 KS: Dr. Destroyer, 12-

3 Analyze Style, 12-

5 Wealth

3 Breakfall, 15-

88 skills, perks and talents

1000 Total cost

complications

15 Hunted--Dr. Destroyer, infrequent

15 Hunted--Viper, infrequent

15 Secret ID

5 Dist features--extremely handsome and muscular

I am slightly disappointed that no writeup for Vanguard has yet appeared in a Hero product. What? Tantalize us with tales of a hero who went toe to toe with Dr. D, and then write him out of the present-day CU? Arrrrgh!

Next, there'll be mention of one villain who bested Harbinger of Justice, followed by "...but he's dead now."

Yea, the autofire penetrating RKA is why in our campaign we put some strict limits on how many levels of penetrating and hardening could be done. (If you had 2 levels of hardening, that was enough)

They may be Hardened' date=' but are they also Impenetrable? Under 6E, these are two [i']different[/i] Advantages -- Hardened no longer stops both AP and Penetrating at once (6E1 147 for reference).

(Of course, whether it's entirely fair to apply 6E rules to a character for whom -- I think -- no 6E writeup exist yet is another question altogether, but Dr. D might just deserve it. ;))

There is currently no official 6e writeup for Dr D. I am sure that he will be in the Masterminds volume of Champions Villains. I am sure that all of the mastervillains who now just have Hardened will have both hardened and Impenetrable defenses.

Guest steamteck

most players may have weanted there game in the here and now' date='not the far future[/quote']

To bad there weren't more groups like mine then. we haven't had a campaign in the here and now or even on earth for 20 years. Its freedom!!

To bad there weren't more groups like mine then. we haven't had a campaign in the here and now or even on earth for 20 years. Its freedom!!
I'd hate to think how much petrol it costs to get to the games :)

In the long and long ago...

Our small group of heroes were faced with the Doctor's latest plot, unfortunately I can't recall why Doctor Destroyer was going to detonate one, but we had to stop him from setting-off a Hellburner Bomb.

Hellburner Bombs should be known to anyone who's played Space Opera. For those who aren't familiar with the weapon, it is a combination of force field and contra-gravity generators, and a 40 megaton nuclear bomb. The result is a 40-megaton blast the burns for 4-40 minutes. (Nasty, these.)

At the time of the game, specific Destroids (Macross/Robotech, anyone?) hadn't been published, so our GM at the time created some. The result came from one of my favorite anime series and meant that we had to make our way through a quartet of Bu-12B Combat Boomers.

Our victory was tactics-based, as we didn't actually defeat the Doctor in combat. We managed to boost my character's Teleport power in a seriously risking-oneself-to-save-others kind of way, and sent the bomb off-world to explode harmlessly (though it did provide a nifty lightshow for about half-an-hour).

This was also the session in which Bloodbird discovered that she could survive a burst from the Bu-12B's 12.7mm gatling gun as well as a direct hit from the 46mm bazooka...though recovery took a LONG time.

(This also meant being taken away by the Doctor for an experiment, which is a story of its own.)