Cloak of Belief (Faith)

Christougher

This magical cloak is made of a lightweight, waterproof cloth, and it takes on the appropriate colors and/or symbols of the wearer's faiths or beliefs when worn.

The cloak is prized because it helps weigh choices against the wearer's beliefs, becoming faded, threadbare or torn when the wearer strays too far from their moral code.

Re: Cloak of Belief (Faith)

Maybe add Visible to the mix. Detects, being a Sensory power, are typically Invisible. So throw Visible to Normal Sight into it.

EDIT: Perceivable is the 6th Edition version of Visible.

Final Build:

Cloak of Faith: Detect Faith 11- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Analyze (13 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Only to determine wearers religious beliefs and intensity Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2), OIF: Cloak (-1/2) Real Cost: 3

Note: Perceivable doubles up with Obvious Foci so cannot be taken (according to Hero Designer). So there is what I would use.

Cloak of Faith: +3/+3d6 Striking Appearance (vs. those sharing the wearer's faith, ideals, or moral code), Persistent (+1/4) (7 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Limited Power Only as long as the wearer lives up to their own espoused ideals (-1/2), Side Effects (deviations from one's own professed ideals result in the item's bonuses growing lesser, or even turning into penalties; an infamous hypocrite could get -3d6 PRE attacks and -3 to appropriate Skills; -1/2), Limited Power Will reveal the wearer's own true allegience/affiliation/ethics. (Example: a member of one religion could not wear this cloak and be in disguise as a member of a different faith.; -1/2)

cost 2

Lucius Alexander

I believe in palindromedaries

After reading Discriminatory and Analyze, I decided it only needed the former. It's supposed to guide, not drag by the nose, wearers along their path.

I don't agree wtih Always On or NCC; the +Sense adder covers it happening on its own.

Never considered the +COM (err, appearance) - and why Persistent on that, some new ruling from 6E?

Final writeup:

5 Cloak of Faith: Detect Faith/Beliefs as Mental Sense PER(13-) Discriminatory [12 AP] OIF Cloak(-1/2) Self Only(-1/2) Side Effects(-1/2)

The Striking Appearance in this case refers to other members of the wearer's faith taking what he says more seriously, since he's obviously serious about his theology -- he's wearing the cloak after all. The Persistent refers to the fact that the cloak bears these symbols remaining on the cloak even when the wearer is sleeping.

Hmm. I am wondering exactly how much this cloak helps its wearer. It tells other people their belief system and how well they abide by those beliefs.

I would say that it looks like it is giving you a reputation only when wearing the cloak....no??

Doc

Oh nice one Lucius. Bonuses/penalties were never mentioned' date=' but I could see that happening.[/quote']

I think it would be almost inevitable, if the cloak's powers were known. And the most important positive effect. So I built it around that.

The Striking Appearance in this case refers to other members of the wearer's faith taking what he says more seriously' date=' since he's obviously serious about his theology -- he's wearing the cloak after all. The Persistent refers to the fact that the cloak bears these symbols remaining on the cloak even when the wearer is sleeping.[/quote']

If I were to redo it, I'd probably trim the Limitations and leave it costing a little more.

Let's face it, an egregious hypocrite wouldn't be wearing it voluntarily more than once - unless they're trying for redemption maybe, or doing penance.

Nor is anyone going to wear it in a time and place they could be persecuted for their beliefs, unless they're trying to be a martyr.

I wonder what would happen if it were worn by a person who was simply amoral and had no coherent ethical outlook?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary buys a t-shirt that says "I do what the voices in my heads tell me to"

I think it would be almost inevitable, if the cloak's powers were known. And the most important positive effect. So I built it around that.

If I were to redo it, I'd probably trim the Limitations and leave it costing a little more.

Let's face it, an egregious hypocrite wouldn't be wearing it voluntarily more than once - unless they're trying for redemption maybe, or doing penance.

Nor is anyone going to wear it in a time and place they could be persecuted for their beliefs, unless they're trying to be a martyr.

I wonder what would happen if it were worn by a person who was simply amoral and had no coherent ethical outlook?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary buys a t-shirt that says "I do what the voices in my heads tell me to"

How about a country that forces all of its citizens to wear one? And the PC's have to go to this coutry for some adveture? Or atleast a castle?

In seriousness, I don't see any advantage in wearing this cloak unless it were to show off your piety. It would make a nice recruitment tool though. "Wanna be a paladin? Wear this for a year."

Actually, that's almost exactly why I created it. Had a paladin getting too close to crossing the line, was given the quest to go recover this item, and wear it to stay on the straight and narrow. However, it was as Lucius said, a symbol of devotion, so I'll probably go back and add some of that.

While the tie-dye quote is hilarious, probably just a plain unadorned, uncolored cloak.

How about a country that forces all of its citizens to wear one? And the PC's have to go to this coutry for some adveture? Or atleast a castle?

Aside from the waste of time & money spent creating these... Just smuggle in a cloak predyed to the correct answer.

Christougher.

In seriousness' date=' I don't see any advantage in wearing this cloak unless it were to show off your piety. It would make a nice recruitment tool though. "Wanna be a paladin? Wear this for a year."[/quote']

That is why I went for the limited complication. If the cloak's effects are known then you get different reactions from different groups depending on how it looked. A physical representation of your adherence to your professed moral code.

Doc

• 3 weeks later...