Writeups for Cellphones [5e Champs campaign]

Okay, I forgot to warn my players that I consider Cell Phones to be a perk item (they are equipment, thus they must be paid for).

One of my players has provided me with a writeup of a Smart Phone:

5 Smart Phone: Radio Transmit/Perception, Cell Phone Band Only (-0), OAF (-1), Affect as Hearing Group as well as Radio Group (-1/4) PLUS Computer Link, OAF (-1) (13 AP, 5 RC).

Anyone do any writeups for the iPhone or any other cellphones?

I understand the iPhone would be a computer on top of the other points... thought/opinons?

Re: Writeups for Cellphones [5e Champs campaign]

Okay, I forgot to warn my players that I consider Cell Phones to be a perk item (they are equipment, thus they must be paid for).

One of my players has provided me with a writeup of a Smart Phone:

5 Smart Phone: Radio Transmit/Perception, Cell Phone Band Only (-0), OAF (-1), Affect as Hearing Group as well as Radio Group (-1/4) PLUS Computer Link, OAF (-1) (13 AP, 5 RC).

Anyone do any writeups for the iPhone or any other cellphones?

I understand the iPhone would be a computer on top of the other points... thought/opinons?

I wouldn't use "Computer" for a iPhone I woild use the Perk from Star HERO which gives access to the net (I don't remember what it was called though)

Brian's phone was somewhat based on my Palm Pre. I wanted a cell phone with internet access. 5RE, p 79, said computer access was 1 to 10 points, I have totally forgotten how I picked 3 points for basic internet access, nore can I find any e-mails where I discussed this with BlueCloud2k2. I didn't include the camera because I never think about the camera, I still haven't used it in RL.

As far as the phone being a computer in it's own right, I haven't seen any interesting apps that will run unless you are connected to the net. I really think simulating the phone as Internet access on a focus is pretty accurate.

And it was just pointed out to me that Cellphone-bands are in the HRRP/T description..

So it would be

5 Cellphone: High-Range Radio Percerption/Transmission, Cellphone Band Only (-0), OAF (-1), Flashed as Hearing as well as Radio Group (-1/4) (AP 12, RC 5)

6 Smartphone: High-Range Radio Percerption/Transmission, Cellphone Band Only (-0), OAF (-1), Flashed as Hearing as well as Radio Group (-1/4) PLUS Computer Link OAF (-1) (AP 15, RC 5)

So in all honesty, McCoy, your Cellphone should cost 1 more point than it does... maybe remove the computer link for the time being (until you get some XP) and call it a Tracphone or something...

I guess my only question would be how many points do people have? I can't see spending 5 or more points on an item that *everyone* has in the real world. To me unless the person took the Poor complication I would assume he could buy anything that did not effect game balance in most settings. In a superheroic world, your IPhone is about as impressive as an abacus would be. In a heroic world, I tend to favor equipment allocation by point pools.

Even then, I would let some stuff slide. I don't know if I would be happy with the crunchiness stating out everything someone could pick up at a reasonable price on the open market. YMMV.

And it was just pointed out to me that Cellphone-bands are in the HRRP/T description..

So it would be

5 Cellphone: High-Range Radio Percerption/Transmission, Cellphone Band Only (-0), OAF (-1), Flashed as Hearing as well as Radio Group (-1/4) (AP 12, RC 5)

6 Smartphone: High-Range Radio Percerption/Transmission, Cellphone Band Only (-0), OAF (-1), Flashed as Hearing as well as Radio Group (-1/4) PLUS Computer Link OAF (-1) (AP 15, RC 5)

So in all honesty, McCoy, your Cellphone should cost 1 more point than it does... maybe remove the computer link for the time being (until you get some XP) and call it a Tracphone or something...

if you use HRRP doesn't Cellphone Band only become a non zero limitation?

Good point, especally as my character has bought HRRP/T twice:

Smart Phone: (Total: 13 Active Cost, 5 Real Cost) Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group) (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), Sense Affected as hearing group as well as radio group [any other Sense] (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus Computer Link (3 Active Points); OAF (-1) (Real Cost: 1)

Walkie Talkie: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group), Police band only (+0) (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Affected as hearing group as well as radio group (-1/4)

I guess my only question would be how many points do people have? I can't see spending 5 or more points on an item that *everyone* has in the real world. To me unless the person took the Poor complication I would assume he could buy anything that did not effect game balance in most settings. In a superheroic world, your IPhone is about as impressive as an abacus would be. In a heroic world, I tend to favor equipment allocation by point pools.

Even then, I would let some stuff slide. I don't know if I would be happy with the crunchiness stating out everything someone could pick up at a reasonable price on the open market. YMMV.

My character also has a Colt Double Eagle Mk II 10 mm automatic and Smith & Wesson 325 .45 ACP revolver, both of which could be picked up at a reasonable price on the open market.

To me it comes down to game function. I intended my character's Smartphone and Police Radio to be devices to access game world information from the GM. In effect they are functioning as contacts, and to me are worth points. If I was useing it only to keep in touch with a DNPC or make dinner reservations, I could see argueing it had no in-game effect, was a role-playing schtick and could be dismissed as a special effect.

Okay, as McCoy pointed out to me in an email:

I put my phone on my character sheet. Didn't think of it in these terms at the time, but did expect to use it to get game-world information, effectively functioning as a contact. Worth points.

If Don didn't pay character points for Granite's phone, when we get into combat "somehow" he has no bars; phone only functions as a roleplay device and cannot affect game mechanics.

Sound fair?

Hmm. I'd hesitate to use Computer Link that way. It is supposed to represent access to restricted private databases that most people cannot access. At most normal Internet access should be 1 point, but I'd hesitate to make it even that given how ubiquitous Internet access is these days.

Instead I'd probably limit the phones without Internet access to audio signals only (a Limitation). That would make both models cheaper all the way around.

I put my phone on my character sheet. Didn't think of it in these terms at the time, but did expect to use it to get game-world information, effectively functioning as a contact. Worth points.

If Don didn't pay character points for Granite's phone, when we get into combat "somehow" he has no bars; phone only functions as a roleplay device and cannot affect game mechanics.

I do something similar. Mundane devices are subject to mundane restrictions on their functionality, and are treated as having 3 dice of Unluck.

• 1 level of Unluck - the device functions, but poorly (dim, flickering light, weak signal, etc)
  • 2 levels = the device is non-functional (dead batteries, no signal, etc) or otherwise unavailable
  • 3 levels = the device has been lost or broken

On the other hand, if the character has paid points for the device, it is always available and functional (subject to common sense, of course).

I do something similar. Mundane devices are subject to mundane restrictions on their functionality, and are treated as having 3 dice of Unluck.

• 1 level of Unluck - the device functions, but poorly (dim, flickering light, weak signal, etc)
  • 2 levels = the device is non-functional (dead batteries, no signal, etc) or otherwise unavailable
  • 3 levels = the device has been lost or broken

On the other hand, if the character has paid points for the device, it is always available and functional (subject to common sense, of course).

Sometime around 4th Edition, I did much the same, described it to my players along approx these lines:

• Foci are subject to the rules defined negative aspects (including "plot hazards").
  • Mundane equipment, especially weapons, are (in addition to being Foci) treated as Real Equipment (extending the Real Armor and Real Weapon Limitations to other objects; a certain minimum care in handling needed), and also subject to Real Points/5 levels of Unluck, manifesting as expressions of Murphy's Law.
  • Confiscated equipment not paid for with points are subject to the same effects as mundane equipment (in the case of certain unique equipment, Murphy's Law will not usually cause equipment breakdown but other undesired effects instead).

At first, some players of course tested the limits of this just for the heck of it, with annoying to dangerous (and sometimes hilarious) results, but picking up mundane equipment became appropriately limited in utility, and players never argued about it since it was declared up front. :)

*Heroic campaigns would have these Murphy's Law effects apply once every few sessions or so, while Superheroic campaigns would have Murphy's Law applied with extreme prejudice.

Strictly speaking cell phones belong in the HRRP not the Radio range. However, even if you do decide to stick with Radio Perception/Transmission, shouldn’t “Cell Phone Band Only” still be worth a limitation? I mean, you can’t listen to FM/AM and it doesn’t act as a police scanner, so shouldn’t it cost less than a device that can do all that?

My character also has a Colt Double Eagle Mk II 10 mm automatic and Smith & Wesson 325 .45 ACP revolver, both of which could be picked up at a reasonable price on the open market.

To me it comes down to game function. I intended my character's Smartphone and Police Radio to be devices to access game world information from the GM. In effect they are functioning as contacts, and to me are worth points. If I was useing it only to keep in touch with a DNPC or make dinner reservations, I could see argueing it had no in-game effect, was a role-playing schtick and could be dismissed as a special effect.

Yeah. Again, in most heroic settings I would say that that should be handled by equipment pool points. It's not necessarily part of the character, but the cap on points in the pool keeps folks from getting out of hand. It's still a little artificial, but I tend to play that kind of stuff (equipment stats for "real" items) a little fast and loose. You van have as many guns as you want as long as they make sense and you have the points left in your pool.

In a superheroic world I treat that stuff as de minimis. If someone tries to use the average Tracphone to hack into the Serpentine network, I say no. If the person has the points and access to a Gadgeteering roll, we can make a deal on a jerry-rigged item using the Tracphone as an amusing plot point.

In a superheroic world I treat that stuff as de minimis. If someone tries to use the average Tracphone to hack into the Serpentine network' date=' I say no. If the person has the points and access to a Gadgeteering roll, we can make a deal on a jerry-rigged item using the Tracphone as an amusing plot point.[/quote']

I can see it now...

GM: "Ok. You wake up in a cell, completely disarmed of all of your equipment. The cell door is solid steel and has a computer access panel."

Player: "I whip out my tracphone, make a gadgeteering roll at -5 as I don't have my tools, and attempt to open the door."

GM: ...

Player: "What? It's a plot point that doesn't affect game mechanics and its dramatic license."

GM: "I hate you. I f-ing hate you."

I can see it now...

GM: "Ok. You wake up in a cell, completely disarmed of all of your equipment. The cell door is solid steel and has a computer access panel."

Player: "I whip out my tracphone, make a gadgeteering roll at -5 as I don't have my tools, and attempt to open the door."

Player: "What? It's a plot point that doesn't affect game mechanics and its dramatic license."

That's exactly what I had in mind. I tried to put one over on you and now I am ashamed. ;)

I can see it now...

If he was completely disarmed of all equipment, where did he get the tracphone? Did he pull it out of his...

I mean, I know Viper is incompetent, but leaving the captured hero his phone is over the top.

If he was completely disarmed of all equipment' date=' [b']where did he get the tracphone?[/b] Did he pull it out of his...

I mean, I know Viper is incompetent, but leaving the captured hero his phone is over the top.

"Nah! Their walls are shielded? What could the heroes possibly do with a cellphone in a shielded room?" (Though it is starting to feel about as hokey as a CSI plot or something. Hmm.)

If he was completely disarmed of all equipment' date=' [b']where did he get the tracphone?[/b] Did he pull it out of his...

A) VIPER lairs are traditionally underground, thus, no reception. B) It is a friggin' Tracphone. Need I say more? C)The GM thinks it would be funny to see VIPER humbled by the P-O-S that is the Tracphone.

That's exactly what I had in mind. I tried to put one over on you and now I am ashamed. ;)

Yes Don, shame one you - No cookie!

"Nah! Their walls are shielded? What could the heroes possibly do with a cellphone in a shielded room?" (Though it is starting to feel about as hokey as a CSI plot or something. Hmm.)

And you hit the nail on the head. :D

Back in the day (Champions 1/2/3), we figured team communicators would be, at best, 1 Real Point (er... cell phones hadn't been invented yet... :o) and therefore fell under the mantle of freebies. Kind of like a library card (okay, now I'm really showing my age) you were assumed to have one unless there was some compelling background reason you wouldn't, and it occasionally provided info for players who actually thought about what their stuff could do. Since it encouraged innovative and immersive gameplay, we were all for giving those little items away for free to PC superheroes.

Nowadays, since a smartphone could be the sum total of a PC's power sources, and they can do so much, it probably works to go a little more in-depth.

• If they are really only used for mundane and insignificant purposes, such as making appointments with people (NPCs, DNPCs, Contacts, and the like), then they can be assumed to be free.
  • If they are used for mundane but significant purposes, like calling in an airstrike or coordinating an op, then they are probably worth a few points, but can be built with just the normal complement of powers (HRRP/T, Computer Link, etc.)
  • If they are a significant character point or are used to plot-changing effect, such as hacking into a VIPER base or the like, then they probably should be statted out as Computers; maybe Doctor Who's PDA could crack the Serpentine network, but it'd be challenging.

It occurs to me that a decent Gadgeteer power might very well be some sort of "pumping up" effect on the Computers they use. Imagine Cybermind; now imagine Cybermind with the WOPR in the palm of his hand...

What about something like this?

Smartphone
Val     Char     Base     Points     Total     Roll     Notes
5       INT       10        -5         5        10-     PER Roll 10-
8       DEX       10        -4         8        11-
1       OCV        3       -10         1
3       DCV        3         0         3
1       OMCV       3        -6         1
1       DMCV       3        -6         1
2       SPD      2.0         0         2                Phases:  6, 12

Cost  Powers                                                             END
6     Cell Phone Network: HRRP  (Radio Group); Cellphone Band Only (-1)   0

Cost  Perks
1     Computer Link

Cost  Skills
19    Cryptography 18-
9     KS: Contacts 18-
9     KS: Files 18-
9     KS: Music 18-
Total Powers & Skills Cost: 53
Total Cost: 22

22+  Complications
25   Physical Complication:   Machine Intelligence (has 3 EGO for the purposes of Mental Powers
    and  the like) (All the Time; Slightly Impairing)
Total Complication Points: 25

Brilliant! I posted the 6E version!

Here's 5E.

Smartphone -

VAL...CHA...Cost...Total...Roll......Notes

8....DEX.....-6...8......11-.......OCV 3 DCV 3

5....INT.....-5...5......10-.......PER Roll 10-

2....SPD.....2...2.................Phases: 6, 12

CHA Cost: -9

Cost...POWERS

6.....Cell Phone Network: HRRP (Radio Group); Cellphone Band Only (-1) - END=0

POWERS Cost: 6

Cost...SKILLS

19......Cryptography 18-

9......KS: Contacts 18-

9......KS: Files 18-

9......KS: Music 18-

SKILLS Cost: 46

Cost...PERKS

1......Computer Link

PERKS Cost: 1

Value..DISADVANTAGES

15.....Physical Limitation: Machine Intelligence (has 3 EGO for the purposes of Mental Powers and the like) (All the Time; Slightly Impairing)

DISADVANTAGES Points: 15

Base Pts: 29

Exp Required: 0

Total Exp Available: 0

Exp Unspent: 0

Total Character Cost: 44