World Without People!

Adventus

You have been away from earth on a mission to another star system. When you return you are hailed by the International Space Station. They tell they have been unable to reach anyone on Earth for 2 weeks. And their supplies are running very low. There are no lights on the night-side of the earth. You are also unable to pickup any transmissions from earth.

When you get down to (Campaign City) you find NO ONE!. There are no people any where! From what you can piece together, it is as if every Sentient being vanished about 2 weeks ago. (this includes Mechanon). There does not appear to have been any warning.

WWYCD?

Re: World Without People!

Quantum - Would begin going back to the last two days people were known to be on the planet by coordinating w/the space station to review as many personal logs and recordings as possible. He would use his ability to detect unique energy signatures to see if he can detect what caused the disappearance. Of course he would help the crew on the space station too.

Stone - This is above his pay grade. Not much in the way to skills to help here. He would follow the lead of the space station crew.

Spectre - Not much he could do. But he would most likely enjoy the peace and quiet

Zero : His paranoia would be screaming even if his danger sense wasn't. And without sentient minds to work on, there's not much he could do. 2 weeks? All the poor pet fish and farm stock and zoo animals starving to death!!!!

Vitus would be irritated. A nice empty world to occupy and he still hasn't found any gnolls to occupy it with. Not that a damp planet like Earth would have been his first choice anyway. Plus there's the suspicion that if anybody has depopulated it that they'll be coming along shortly to repopulate it with their own people anyway.

Kaian: Well, this is a rare occasion; he's actually going to freak out. The "I Am Legend" thing will trigger flashbacks to a period of his life he really tries not to think about.

After getting over that (at least for now), its time to start figuring out what the frig happened.

Oh yes, and getting the people off the International Space Station. Fortunately, if Kaian was on a mission offworld by himself, then he had to have been flying a spaceship, as he has no travel powers. Time to use it! (Or the Vanguard team spaceplane, which started off life as a Haud orbital assault shuttle).

Edit: Agh, forgot, the Star Knight corps exists in the Vanguard setting. Our last session before the campaign folded included an intent for the team to introduce themselves and set up a liasion thing with them for cosmic problems. Time to use that!

After doing that, possible lines of investigation for Kaian and his team of astronaut scientists will include:

#1 -- OK, the people vanished. Did the non-people vanish? Put out some quick radio calls to the Vanguard team AI on our own team satellite HQ (I know that Mechanon vanished, but the team computer is on the satellite), the hidden city of the Asurans (which, being hidden behind a temporal phase barrier that renders it half a step out of sync with the real world, is likely to have escaped this shit -- and yeah, that kind of place doesn't normally have a radio to answer, but its ruler the Exemplar is a superhero who needs a way to check back in with home base, and Kaian is one of the very few people who knows about it), and ask them what the frig they know.

Also, check the Vanguard team logs to see if any other member was offworld at the time, which Exemplar at least was quite likely to be, and if so send them an FTL page to get the hell back.

#2 -- Meanwhile, the ISS crew is going to various places (the NSA mainframe, the SETI antenna, the STAR labs equivalent, the Pentagon, CNN, etc.) that had the tape machines running 24-and-7 to see if they can pinpoint down the moment of 'vanishing' and any observations recorded at the time -- security camera footage, weather satellite data, radio telescope data, live TV broadcast, energy readings, etc... there's lots of place in the world that have various sensor arrays up and continuously feeding the data to storage servers for later review and, well, no reason not to help himself.

#3 -- Mystic World. Kaian knows it quite well (when you're an immortal guy living under a curse for thousands of years, there's really no way to avoid it), even if he himself can't use magic, even ritual sorcery (its part of the course). This does not, however, stop him from going around to every place he knows that one can naturally get in contact with spirits, bound elemental guardians, etc, etc... i.e., entities who might know what was going on, and were around at the time of the Vanishing.

#4 -- All else having failed, 'All right folks, we just entered Case Omega. Let's grab some survival supplies, machine tools, and infrastructure, pick a spot, and do the Adam & Eve / Colony Alpha thing. Good thing the ISS had mixed crew, isn't it? Me personally, I'm going to make sure you guys are set up and then I'm going to get on with Walking The Earth and check back in with you guys only occasionally... ok, short version, I've lived long enough for this not to have been my first time having seen human civilization end and it having to be rebuilt from a few scattered survivors and, well, let's just say that I'm going to need a lot of time by myself for a while. It's taken a lot of willpower for me to hold it together this long, and I really need to go vent.'

Volt - Not much he could do except review records and act accordingly. Assuming he is in a ship (no space flight powers), he'd bring back supplies.

Olorin - Immediately (well, a couple of hours to change VPP) supply the station. Review records while "waiting". Then use his VPP to do retrocognition. Then act accordingly. If magic was involved, he'd know almost immediately.

Black Tiger - "Crap!" See Volt, but he's a better investigator.

Leadman - "I'm a pessamist, and I never thought this would happen. " See Black Tiger as he is also an investigator.

Futurian "Whoa! Fragic!" (future slang - combination fantastic and tragic) "This didn't happen in my timeline. At least it was not recorded and remembered." Use machine powers to download info - quickly. Also improve space station's workings. (a lot of food, water and air are recycled.) "Man, you guys are primitive. Aren't you scared to be up here in a tin can?" Then act like Volt, and act accordingly based on what he finds. If mechanical, he'll know quuickly.

Badger- Probably goes to the now uninhabited planet to live. Well, it is at least tempting, as he isnt a people person. And would well at home on a world with no other sentients. And might not be completely motivated to find out what happened. But, he also is obsessed with battle, and would wish to find others to battle eventually. He'd probably let others in the group take the lead on this. ANd act as support as needed. Not a situation of strength. All he'd be able to do would be to confirm that there wasnt any sentient-like energy signatures (in the area on Earth he was currently at) that he recognized.

Something every one of my characters would start doing sooner or later, though probably Hermes the first: "Is this actually Earth? Is this actually *our* Earth?"

Its very very hard to move six billion people. Its much much easier to take a half dozen superhumans and stick them in the Matrix, or the Holodeck.

Hellfire: Pray to God to take her and the others too.

Riptide: Question the people on the space station. Make very sure they are who they seem to be and try to find out what events were being reported in the news shortly before the rapture. Once he's learned all he can at the station, go down to the planet, and seek out the sites of any weird/super activity being reported in the minutes leading up to the disappearance. Look for clues.

The Wizard of Oz Incorporated: Gadgeteer up something that can detect dimensional disturbances...he hopes.