latest?cb=20090625004044

latest?cb=20190310130537

Gold-Dragon-dragons-28626714-1300-674.jp

bruno-cesar-gold-dragon.jpg?1560789484

latest?cb=20121001134809

The_wise_one_by_VampirePrincess007.jpg

Awesome_a3036e_5157319.gif

--- --- ---

Gold dragons are wise, judicious, and benevolent. They often embark on self-appointed quests to promote goodness, and are not easily distracted from them. They hate injustice and foul play. A gold dragon frequently assumes human or animal guise and usually will be encountered disguised.

At birth, a gold dragon’s scales are dark yellow with golden metallic flecks. The flecks get larger as the dragon matures until, at the adult stage, the scales grow completely golden.

Gold dragons speak their own tongue, a tongue common to all good dragons, and 18% of hatchling gold dragons have an ability to communicate with any intelligent creature. The chance to possess this ability increases 5% per age category of the dragon.

Combat: Gold dragons usually parley before combat. When conversing with intelligent creatures they use detect lie and detect gems spells to gain the upper hand. In combat, they quickly use bless and luck bonus. Older dragons use luck bonus at the start of each day if the duration is a day or more. They make heavy use of spells in combat. Among their favorites are sleep, stinking cloud, slow, fire shield, cloudkill, globe of invulnerability, delayed blast, fireball, and maze.

Breath Weapon/Special Abilities: A gold dragon has two breath weapons: a cone of fire 90’ long, 5’ wide at the dragon’s mouth, and 30’ wide at the end or a cloud of potent chlorine gas 50’ long, 40’ wide and 30’ high. Creatures caught in either effect are entitled to a save versus breath weapon for half damage.

At birth, gold dragons have water breathing ability, can speak with animals freely, and are immune to fire and gas. They can also polymorph self three times a day. Each change form lasts until the dragon chooses a different form; reverting to the dragon’s normal form does not count as a change. A gold dragon’s natural form has wings. However, they sometimes choose a wingless form to facilitate swimming, gaining the higher swimming rate listed above. A gold dragon in any wingless form can fly at a speed of 6 (MC E).

As they age, they gain the following additional powers:

Young: bless three times a day. Juvenile: detect lie three times a day. Adult: animal summoning once a day. Mature adult: luck bonus once a day. Old: quest once a day, and detect gems three times a day. (This allows the dragon to know the number and kind of precious stones within a 30’ radius, duration is one minute.

The luck bonus power of mature adults is used to aid good adventurers. By touch the dragon can enchant one gem to bring good luck. The gem is usually one which has been embedded in the dragon’s hide. When the dragon carries the gem, it and every good creature in a 10’ radius per age category of the dragon receives a +1 bonus to all Saving Throws and similar dice rolls, cf. stone of good luck. If the dragon gives a gem to another creature only the bearer gets the bonus. The enchantment lasts three hours per age category of the dragon, plus 1-3 hours. The enchantment ends if the gem is destroyed before its duration expires.

Habitat/Society: Gold dragons can live anywhere. Their lairs are secluded and always made of solid stone, either caves or castles. These usually have loyal guards: either animals appropriate to the terrain, or storm or good cloud giants. The giants usually serve as guards through a mutual defensive agreement.

Ecology: Gold dragons can eat almost anything, however, they usually sustain themselves on pearls or small gems. Gold dragons who receive pearls and gems from good or neutral creatures will usually be favorably inclined toward the gift bringers, as long as the gift is not presented as a crass bribe. In the latter case, the dragon will accept the gift, but react cynically to any requests the giver makes.

--- --- ---

--- --- ---

--- --- ---

Hoard
Coins 200 pp, 46000 gp, 14000 cp
Gems
  1. Alexandrite (500 gp)
  2. Azurite (10 gp)
  3. Black Pearl (500 gp)
  4. Citrine (50 gp)
  5. Deep Blue Spinel (500 gp)
  6. 2 x Deep Green Spinel (100 gp)
  7. Emerald (1000 gp)
  8. Hematite (10 gp)
  9. Jasper (50 gp)
  10. 2 x Lapis Lazuli (10 gp)
  11. Obsidian (10 gp)
  12. Onyx (50 gp)
  13. Rock Crystal (50 gp)
  14. Smoky Quartz (50 gp)
  15. Star Ruby (1000 gp)
  16. 3 x Violet Garnet (500 gp)
  17. White Pearl (100 gp)

Total value = 5600 gp

Jewelry
  1. Gold bracelet set with gems (6000 gp)
  2. Gold crown set with gems (6000 gp)
  3. Gold pendant set with gems (3000 gp)
  4. 2 x Gold pendant set with gems (4000 gp)
  5. 2 x Gold pendant set with gems (5000 gp)
  6. Ivory pendant (400 gp)
  7. Jade earrings (1500 gp)
  8. Jade tiara (2100 gp)
  9. Platinum brooch set with gems (5000 gp)
  10. Platinum crown set with gems (5000 gp)
  11. Platinum crown set with gems (6000 gp)
  12. Platinum crown set with gems (7000 gp)
  13. Platinum necklace set with gems (9000 gp)
  14. Platinum pendant set with gems (7000 gp)
  15. Platinum ring set with gems (4000 gp)
  16. Platinum tiara set with gems (9000 gp)
  17. Silver bracelet set with gems (3000 gp)
  18. Silver bracelet set with gems (6000 gp)
  19. Silver crown set with gems (5000 gp)
  20. Silver pendant set with gems (3000 gp)
  21. Silver ring set with gems (5000 gp)
  22. Silver ring set with gems (6000 gp)
  23. Silver tiara set with gems (4000 gp)
  24. Wrought gold bracelet (700 gp)
  25. Wrought gold bracelet (800 gp)
  26. Wrought gold bracelet (1400 gp)
  27. Wrought gold crown (700 gp)
  28. Wrought gold crown (1200 gp)
  29. Wrought gold crown (1300 gp)
  30. Wrought gold crown (1700 gp)
  31. Wrought gold necklace (1000 gp)
  32. Wrought gold necklace (1500 gp)
  33. Wrought gold pendant (1300 gp)
  34. Wrought gold ring (700 gp)
  35. Wrought gold ring (1700 gp)
  36. Wrought silver and gold bracelet (600 gp)
  37. Wrought silver and gold bracelet (800 gp)
  38. 2 x Wrought silver and gold crown (500 gp)
  39. Wrought silver and gold tiara (600 gp)
  40. Wrought silver and gold tiara (900 gp)
  41. Wrought silver earrings (400 gp)

Total value = 139300 gp

Magic Items
  1. 12 x Bolt +2 (300 gp)
  2. Chain Mail +1 (human size) (3500 gp)
  3. Cleric Scroll (Animate Object) (1800 gp)
  4. Cleric Scroll (Continual Darkness, Create Food and Water, 3 x Feign Death) (4500 gp)
  5. Curse Scroll
  6. Cursed Backbiter Spear (1000 gp)
  7. Druid Scroll (3 x Call Lightning, Hold Animal, Poison, Snare) (5400 gp)
  8. Magic-User Scroll (Detect Magic) (300 gp)
  9. Magic-User Scroll (Dig) (1200 gp)
  10. Magic-User Scroll (Air Breathing, Gust of Wind, 2 x Phantasmal Force) (3600 gp)
  11. Magic-User Scroll (2 x Gust of Wind, Haste, Tongues) (3600 gp)
  12. Magic-User Scroll (Glassteel, Power Word Blind, Trap the Soul) (7200 gp)
  13. Potion of Fish Control (400 gp)
  14. Potion of Human Control (900 gp)
  15. Protection from Earth Elementals Scroll (7500 gp)
  16. Protection from Elementals Scroll (7500 gp)
  17. Protection from Lycanthropes Scroll (5000 gp)
  18. Protection from Petrification Scroll (10000 gp)
  19. Ring Mail +1 (human size) (2500 gp)
  20. Ring of Feather Falling (5000 gp)
  21. Ring of Telekinesis (250 gp maximum) (10000 gp)
  22. Holy Avenger Bastard Sword +5 (20000 gp)
  23. Staff of Curing (21 charges) (25000 gp)
  24. Wand of Negation (95 charges) (15000 gp)

Total value = 134750 gp

Total value 326720 gp

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ragitsu

• Certified

• tkdguy

• Clonus

18 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

I am fairly certain a more accurate interpretation of the line in question is "Thou shalt not murder."

I'm inclined to agree, although I just remembered a quote from a book where one character stating that "killing is murder, no matter what fancy names we give it." I don't remember which book it was, and I can't find it on Google.

Nothing like shooting the breeze with Kyle Madigan in the G&R saloon while the two of you enjoy some fine Coca Cola.

--- --- ---

Corn Pop was in a gang called "The Kelloggs." They were in a street war with the leader of another gang. His name was General Mills. His top three capos were Snap, Crackle and Pop. I heard they got in too deep when they conducted some shady business with a couple of guys widely known on the streets as "Tony the Tiger" and "Toucan Sam." At the time, news of all this was breaking very fast...

--- --- ---

Michelangelo: Good evening, your Holiness.
Pope: Evening, Michelangelo. I want to have a word with you about this painting of yours, "The Last Supper."
Michelangelo: Oh, yeah?
Pope: I'm not happy about it.
Michelangelo: Oh, dear. It took me hours.
Pope: Not happy at all.
Michelangelo: Is it the jellies you don't like?
Pope: No.
Michelangelo: Of course not, they add a bit of color, don't they? Oh, I know, you don't like the kangaroo?
Pope: What kangaroo?
Michelangelo: No problem, I'll paint him out.
Pope: I never saw a kangaroo!
Michelangelo: Uuh... he's right in the back. I'll paint him out! No sweat, I'll make him into a disciple.

The red part is what I disagree with as this, to my old DM eyes, is the equivalent of saying "To make players feel better about killing guardsmen, hirelings, and other common folk pressed into work for the Evil Prince Humperdink, we'll just redefine evil so that you can put 'LE/NE/CE' next to the dozens of guardsmen just trying to feed their families". I get that about 2e (it was after all, IMNSHO, a PR response to the whole 'Satanic Panic' of the 80's). That's why Assassins and Half-Orcs were removed, iirc.

The part in orange is, IMNSHO, a complete misrepresentation of what the whole "Alignment" system of the AD&D game was. This is one of the big things that caused such HUGE heated debates about alignment towards the end of 2e and into 3e. To me, Alignments are defined very specifically and they have direct, 'physical' ties to the Outer Planes. If actual alignment was determined by what a society interpreted as good/evil...then there would be no such absolute as Good or Evil. Everyone would think they are "good folk". The Dark Country of Mightizrite, and all it's citizens, when they die in battle as they surprise attack a nearby village and slaughter every living man, woman and child in, in service to their God of Justice...no matter what they did, what tactics they used, poison, torture, child slavery to deliver plague/poison, all of it would be "Good", because the ends always justify the means and this will rise the countries citizens higher and higher in the food chain, allowing them to live the life they want and deserve. ... ... This makes zero sense to me. That is why when we did play 2e for a couple years after it came out, we quickly changed the Alignment definitions back to our 1e interpretation (face it, everyone has their own interpretation of Alignment, but 1e's was much closer to what we believed worked best).

Something I always told new players who were used to 2e Alignment or who started with 2e was this:
"Alignment doesn't determine your actions. Your actions determine your alignment". If a PC kills anyone that looks at them sideways and then says "No, I'm Chaotic Good. My clan views personal honour as the most important thing. If I let that innkeeper besmirch my honour by charging me 2gp extra because I got blood all over his bedding, I would be seen as a coward or weak! The only recourse was to kill him with my bare hands"...then that character did NOT perform a "good act", nor a "neutral act". That would be a pure and obvious "evil act". His society has no baring on this.