In Progress From Blackwyrm Games: Mythic America

Susano

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: In Progress From Blackwyrm Games: Mythic America

Taking the sentence that followed that (the one about Elvis) into account' date=' I'm thinking "idealized" would mean in Michael Jackson's eyes, and if he thought he was autistic he didn't say so (at least as far as I know).[/quote']

Also as how popular culture saw him. For example, the Davy Crockett I have prepared borrows much from the tall tales he and others told about himself, less so from his real life story. On the other hand, Johnny Appleseed has little in the way of tall tales involving him or his actions... but then, his real life was pretty amazing as is.

Too bad.

Well, the bulk of the material is pretty backwards compatible. About the only character who's going to be a problem is Joe Magarac because of his Damage Negation.

Well' date=' the bulk of the material is pretty backwards compatible. About the only character who's going to be a problem is Joe Magarac because of his Damage Negation.[/quote']

Even then, 6thER Damage Negation can be moved back to 5th by counting it as +3rPD or rED and adding in +1 KB resistance per two levels.

I will say this -- to dismiss the project because it will be for 6E is to potentially miss out on a number of interesting character concepts as well as folkloric and historical information that could prove highly useful to just about any supers game.

I will say this -- to dismiss the project because it will be for 6E is to potentially miss out on a number of interesting character concepts as well as folkloric and historical information that could prove highly useful to just about any supers game.

I pick up supplements from entirely different game systems (at GenCon, a bunch of Wild Talents stuff, including the Kerberous Club) so long as there's something I can use for something I'm GMing. So, yes, agreed.

I'm looking forward to seeing this come out. The game Scion whetted my appetite for such characters when I came across the American Pantheon in the Scion Companion, listing such stalwarts of Americana as Betsy Ross, Br'er Rabbit, Columbia (aka Lady Liberty/The Spirit of America), John Henry, Johnny Appleseed, Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, Rosie the Riveter and Uncle Sam. I imagine all of them have made the list in Susano's upcoming book.

I'm looking forward to seeing this come out. The game Scion whetted my appetite for such characters when I came across the American Pantheon in the Scion Companion' date=' listing such stalwarts of Americana as Betsy Ross, Br'er Rabbit, Columbia (aka Lady Liberty/The Spirit of America), John Henry, Johnny Appleseed, Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, Rosie the Riveter and Uncle Sam. I imagine all of them have made the list in Susano's upcoming book.[/quote']

Not quite. But I also hope to include people not on that list as well.

Although he might fit per some people's criteria' date=' Michael Jacxkson was/is under consideration for the Mythic America part. You have to admit, like him or not, he's very much a larger-than-life cultural icon.[/quote']

He's also a cultural icon with an estate with lawyers, a whole lot of lawyers. Tread carefully.

He's also a cultural icon with an estate with lawyers' date=' a whole lot of lawyers. Tread carefully.[/quote']

Yeah... which is why, as much as I love to include him, Superman is not going to make it in... by name, anyway (if he's included.)

He's also a cultural icon with an estate with lawyers' date=' a whole lot of lawyers. Tread carefully.[/quote']

John "My friends call me Jack" Michaelson, lived the American Dream. Born a poor black boy, he grew up to be a rich white woman.

Yeah... which is why' date=' as much as I love to include his, Superman is not going to make it in... by name, anyway (if he's included.)[/quote']

Go the Pulp Superman route, with the correct power set and the civiliian id "Allard Savage". Then have him fight crime Superman Radio Show style, doing everything except the fight scenes and disaster relief in his Civillian ID. Keep the existance of the costumed Tomorrow Man an urban legend believed only by gullible criminals.

Go the Pulp Superman route' date=' with the correct power set and the civiliian id "Allard Savage".[/quote']

Actually, Ken Hite told me there's a character named "Wonder-man" from the time period's who's A) copyright free, and B) a Supes knock-off.

Actually' date=' Ken Hite told me there's a character named "Wonder-man" from the time period's who's A) copyright free, and B) a Supes knock-off.[/quote']

Yes, and there's also Tom Strange, a Supes / Doc Savage knock off who gets his powers from a Hugo Danner style potion.

Yes' date=' and there's also Tom Strange, a Supes / Doc Savage knock off who gets his powers from a Hugo Danner style potion.[/quote']

Hmm... might be too close to Tom Strong... then again... so's Wonder-Man.

Hmm... might be too close to Tom Strong... then again... so's Wonder-Man.

Alan Moore drew on old out of copyright comic book characters to create Tom Strong and the ABC line. As I understand it, so long as it's the original characters and not his revamps you use, it's not in violation of copy right law for you to do the same. You might want to ask Ken about it, as he probably had to worry about these issues just recently.