In Progress From Blackwyrm Games: Mythic America

Susano

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: In Progress From Blackwyrm Games: Mythic America

Based on something I recently read about Elvis, characters such as he, Michael Jackson (if he appears), and Bruce Lee will probably have to go in under pseudonyms—such as "The King", "The King of Pop", and "The World's Greatest Martial Artist." Superman, for example, might appear as "The First Superhero" with the text making it clear who it's about.

Also: Dave, would this product be part of the ICONs line?

There shouldn't be any such issues with Elvis. Yo-Yo and his Robot Elvises were successfully published in Throwing Stars and Bars' date=' and I'm pretty sure Mark Arsenault isn't paying out money to Presley's estate.[/quote']Even so, those were robotic impersonators, not the man himself.

And yet Elvis has been personally featured in Quantum Leap and other programming without apology -- he's a public figure, and there's an extent to which is name and likeness are public domain.

Bottom line: do what the lawyer says. :)

Even so, those were robotic impersonators, not the man himself.

And yet Elvis has been personally featured in Quantum Leap and other programming without apology -- he's a public figure, and there's an extent to which is name and likeness are public domain.

Bottom line: do what the lawyer says. :)

Actually, he may not be.

This link shows that the Elvis estate can be very protective of the King's image.

http://www.neatorama.com/2010/08/16/the-resurrection-of-elvis/

Actually, he may not be.

This link shows that the Elvis estate can be very protective of the King's image.

http://www.neatorama.com/2010/08/16/the-resurrection-of-elvis/

This is precisely why I said, "there's an extent to which he's a public figure." Marilyn Monroe's estate has had similar issues, as have those of several other deceased celebrities.

Like I said, do what the lawyer says.

Willie Kennard' date=' Nat Love, Tenskwatawa, Tecumseh, Max Baer, and Ralph "Papa" Thorson[/quote']

Could you tell me a little about them? I only recognize the name Tecumseh.

Willie Kennard - In 1874 Willie Kennard convinced a skeptical mayor of Yankee Hill, Colorado to hire him as marshall be facing down Casewit, a deranged killer and rapist, shooting the two guns from his hands and marching him to jail. He was a real life Lone Ranger. The first African American Marshal and started all of this gunfighter business at 42 years old.

Nat Love - Deadwood Dick. African American Gunfighter, Cowboy, and Rodeo Artist. If you've seen the famous "Black Cowboy" photograph, that's Nat/

Tenskwatawa - Brother of Tecumseh, he was the spiritual leader and prophet of the Pan-Indian community that sought nationhood west of the Mississippi. That dream ended with the massacre by William Henry Harrison. Tenskwatawa was attributed magical powers and was the Native American equivalent of Churchill

Tecumseh - Lead the Pan-Indian community mentioned above. Attributed a multitude of mythic powers even by his enemies. Despite facing a hail of bullets at Tippecanoe, his body was never found and opposing soldiers claimed that bullets couldn't touch him.

Max Baer - Jewish American Heavyweight Champion of the World, actor, entertainer and professional wrestler. Larger than life in every way. Fought and defeated Hitler's ubermensch, Max Schmeling at Yankee Stadium in 1993. Father of Max Baer jr. (Who played Jethro on the Beverly Hillbillies)

Ralph "Papa" Thorson - The World's greatest bounty hunter, inventor, and damn-near real-life Batman. Thorson's life reads like fiction and was made into a Steve McQueen movie called "The Hunter" in which they had to tone down Thorson's real life exploits because they were too unbelievable. After Ralph's death, his wife Dottie and daughter Brandi took up the family business. They were almost as unbelievable in real life.

Willie Kennard - In 1874 Willie Kennard convinced a skeptical mayor of Yankee Hill, Colorado to hire him as marshall be facing down Casewit, a deranged killer and rapist, shooting the two guns from his hands and marching him to jail. He was a real life Lone Ranger. The first African American Marshal and started all of this gunfighter business at 42 years old.

Nat Love - Deadwood Dick. African American Gunfighter, Cowboy, and Rodeo Artist. If you've seen the famous "Black Cowboy" photograph, that's Nat/

Tenskwatawa - Brother of Tecumseh, he was the spiritual leader and prophet of the Pan-Indian community that sought nationhood west of the Mississippi. That dream ended with the massacre by William Henry Harrison. Tenskwatawa was attributed magical powers and was the Native American equivalent of Churchill

Tecumseh - Lead the Pan-Indian community mentioned above. Attributed a multitude of mythic powers even by his enemies. Despite facing a hail of bullets at Tippecanoe, his body was never found and opposing soldiers claimed that bullets couldn't touch him.

Max Baer - Jewish American Heavyweight Champion of the World, actor, entertainer and professional wrestler. Larger than life in every way. Fought and defeated Hitler's ubermensch, Max Schmeling at Yankee Stadium in 1993. Father of Max Baer jr. (Who played Jethro on the Beverly Hillbillies)

Ralph "Papa" Thorson - The World's greatest bounty hunter, inventor, and damn-near real-life Batman. Thorson's life reads like fiction and was made into a Steve McQueen movie called "The Hunter" in which they had to tone down Thorson's real life exploits because they were too unbelievable. After Ralph's death, his wife Dottie and daughter Brandi took up the family business. They were almost as unbelievable in real life.

Err... 1993. I think that's an error.

Also, Oddhat has mentioned "The Mighty Atom" who was a 5'2"? 4"? judoka who apparently single-handed wiped-out a KKK rally.

I'm also interested in Peter Francisco, Revolutionary War soldier who carried a [correction] 5' sword and supposedly [correction] pulled a cannon weighing 1,100 free of its stuck carriage.

Err... 1993. I think that's an error.

Er... 1933. In 1993 Zombie Max Baer skipped over Schilling's corpse to battle Zombie Hitler.

I suggest a wonderful website called Badass of the Week. While a lot of the folks mentioned are not Americans, everyone there is larger than life and well worth the read.

I'd also suggest William Smith - Actor, Motorcyclist, air-force boxing champ, Master's degree in Russian Studies, World sit-up champion. During the Korean War he was a Russian Intercept Interrogator and flew secret ferret missions over Russia. He speaks five languages, was a stunt man. You would probably know him as the bare-knuckle boxer that fought Clint Eastwood in "Any which way but loose" or the Russian insurgent-hunter in "Red Dawn." They man is a living myth bigger than Pecos Bill.

The issue here is that originally I wanted to present mostly mythic and tall tales characters from the 1800s in the book. But once you start doing the research, you open up a can of worms as you encounter more and more real world people who are/were just as over the top as some of the heroes of folklore.

And I can't include everyone.... So, tonight, I hope to work up an email to Dave and Jason and go over this in some detail so we can settle on a final cast list.

Seconding Joseph Greenstein, the Mighty Atom. He was just a fascinating guy, and apparently he was the inspiration for the Al Pratt version of DC Comic's Atom character.

I had heard of Bass Reeves, the legendary African-American frontier Marshal, but I hadn't heard of Willie Kennard. I'll have to do some research. I would vote for Nat Love, as he seems to be more well known as a representative of the archetype, and you will probably have space issues.

I am going to buy the hell out of this book.

The issue here is that originally I wanted to present mostly mythic and tall tales characters from the 1800s in the book. But once you start doing the research, you open up a can of worms as you encounter more and more real world people who are/were just as over the top as some of the heroes of folklore.

And I can't include everyone.... So, tonight, I hope to work up an email to Dave and Jason and go over this in some detail so we can settle on a final cast list.

I completely understand. Perhaps a sequel called "American Myths II: Larger than Life" to deal with modern real-world heroes. For the 1800's you still have a laundry list from Andrew Jackson to Teddy Roosevelt to Wild Bill Hickok to Nat Love to Tecumseh to Clara Barton.