I remember when you could stop a train

Re: I remember when you could stop a train

I don't have the books available at the moment but I'd say about 75 STR plus a decent amount of Flight before Pushing.

I was thinking about the 1st movie, the John Byrne reboot and the animated series examples of Superman saving a plane when decided on that figure for my version of the character. Hadn't really considered trains though. But since it's not a matter of lifting, just stopping/slowing down I think it's about the same range.

This reminds me about a concept introduced in the Byrne era.

Contact TK.

For Superman to stop the train from just one end of the line of cars without causing a major derail (see Hancock) he should probably have some form of AOE Surface as a Naked Advantage for a certain amount of STR. Might help lessen the Handwavium dependency.

TK? Pffft. How about Teleportation with the No Relative Velocity Adder (not to mention UBO and plenty of extra mass)? ;)

On the Strength end of things, I'd probably start with a baseline of enough Str (after application of any Movement power and Pushing) to do a running throw and get the train as far as its current velocity would get it in a Phase. Just seems to fit, to me.

I think the last thing I read on the subject was about 75 STR, though you could use flying as STR for lifting in this instance as well.

I don't know what a Shinka-whatever is, so can't answer that.

The Shinkansen is a line in Japan with the fastest trains in the world. It is also known as "the bullet train". It's been clocked at speeds up to 361 MPH -- its more normal operating speed is 186 MPH. The line covers most of the major cities in the Main Japanese islands of Honshu and Kyushu.

The Shinkansen is a line in Japan with the fastest trains in the world. It is also known as "the bullet train". It's been clocked at speeds up to 361 MPH -- its more normal operating speed is 186 MPH. The line covers most of the major cities in the Main Japanese islands of Honshu and Kyushu.

Yeah, what he said. : ). Also, the Bullet train actually has a faster counterpart called the Nozomi (both are Shinkansen - 新幹線 - New Trunk Rail/line).

Also, for all the hype about how cool it is to ride one, I was thoroughly unimpressed on my trip. It is fast but not really worth it, IMO.

La Rose.

It would probably be safer to stop a train from the back

I would think that partly depends on whether the train is still under power or not and if the power is concentrated at the front (engines) or if all cars are powered equally (like in the case of mag-lev).

from 6e2 page 27

Train/subway: STR 55-65, movement 80-160m

Noncombat (or up to 672m for bullet trains)

the rules are on page 26.

20m of movement = +5 STR

Given this, my 400 point 6e version of Superman could get up to a 120 STR (135 adding Flight) with his Kryptonian VPP.

To get the maximum +75 STR bonus (60 active Density Increase) would require an appropriate additional -1/2 Limitation (like Concentration or Extra Time; Extra Phase). Add in up to 60m Flight (with Extra Time) and he could get up to a 135 "lifting" STR (before Pushing) that would cost a minimum of 22 END per Phase to use (2 for base 45 STR + 8 for +75 STR from Density + 6 for Density Increase itself + 6 for Flight). That level of effort would knock him out in under 2 Turns.

From the APG page 9.

120 STR is enough to lift a mass = the Empire State Building

140 STR is enough to lift a mass = to the Great Pyramid of Giza (est.)

It would probably be safer to stop a train from the back

Safer maybe, but it'd also be easier to dig yourself into the ground and let the train's momentum increase the force of friction from the front rather than dragging you off your feet, unless you lifted up the whole rear car so you could dig your feet in underneath it or something (or had very strange proportions--maybe Mr. Fantastic...). Of course there'd be all kinds of other interesting ways of applying Strength and/or Movement powers like Stretching, Swinging, etc., but if we're talking about the standard "grab on and dig your feet into the ground" approach....

It should be noted that there is a difference between holding one's ground vs. a train (not taking any Knockback* like Hancock) vs. slowing down a train over a short period of time (without injuring its occupants).

KB resistance would apply in the first case but not in the second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ShrGaQjIKI

For four color comics:

Personally, I would calculate the total amount of damage any speeding object would do (STR + Mv/6) and compare it to the strength of the blocking object (STR) in a STR vs. STR challenge for old school comic book style effect. I would add KB resistance to the number of body on the blocking sides' BODY total.

For grim realism:

Realistically, I would calculate the strength of the speeding object and apply that to the blocking object. If the blocking object isn't knocked back, the train would derail. If the 1/2 damage back to the train does knockback, the train would derail. If the object is knocked back and the train doesn't take any knockback, the train continues, the object flies back equal to the knockback. If the object only drops to the ground, the train basically runs him over and each of the following cars do move-by damage in much the same way.

Realistically, blocking a train is stupid. :idjit:

For grim realism:

Realistically, I would calculate the strength of the speeding object and apply that to the blocking object. If the blocking object isn't knocked back, the train would derail. If the 1/2 damage back to the train does knockback, the train would derail. If the object is knocked back and the train doesn't take any knockback, the train continues, the object flies back equal to the knockback. If the object only drops to the ground, the train basically runs him over and each of the following cars do move-by damage in much the same way.

Realistically, blocking a train is stupid. :idjit:

This ain't GURPS... :smoke: