I remember when you could stop a train

Re: I remember when you could stop a train

KB resistance + STR devoted to resisting KB + movement devoted to resisting KB subtracted from the velocity of the train each segment. Someone digging in their feet I would consider "Running" or "Leaping" towards slowing the train. Just a thought.

True. The difference between the train taking the full damage of its own Move Through....

Spidey stopped a train in his movie...so it should take less STR than 75.....Personally it's a Schtick for bricks, so I'd make it pretty easy. If you can lift a train you can stop it. Maybe add a phase of being driven back for every 5"/10m of move its got, subtract a phase for every 5 STR you have extra....

Do you want to instantly stop the train this phase or over time? Because: stopping it now will take a lot more strength than just adding friction and causing it to lose speed.

Does the train have wheels? Because: wheels tend to lose grip when momentum is changed and the engine's power deminishes when the wheels slip.

Will the train continue to be powered during the stopping? Because: if unpowered it's just friction which means you only have to survive contact with the train. It will stop normally due to normal friction and you can slow it down further by adding additional friction or force.

Is the track level or not? If the train is going up even a slight incline it will take considerably less force to slow it down. Vice versa on a decline.

All you are fighting with a train is inertia and the friction coefficient of the wheels as applied to the engine's thrust. It is also made up of many loosely connected segments. Stopping the engine this phase does not translate into stopping the train as a whole.

Spidey stopped a train in his movie...so it should take less STR than 75.....Personally it's a Schtick for bricks' date=' so I'd make it pretty easy. If you can lift a train you can stop it. Maybe add a phase of being driven back for every 5"/10m of move its got, subtract a phase for every 5 STR you have extra....[/quote']

I think it was pretty clear that he wasn't using just STR alone. His "webbing" was a major contributor as well.

I think it was pretty clear that he wasn't using just STR alone. His "webbing" was a major contributor as well.

...which is exactly what I was thinking of when I mentioned using Swinging (among other Movement Powers) to increase your effective Strength for the task. I'd probably consider pure Str vs. adding a Movement Power to be the difference between being able to stop the train immediately vs. taking some distance/time to stop it, by the way. Of course, I'm not sure if you'd want to stop a train immediately; that's going to be a good way to destroy the train and turn its occupants into soup.

I'd probably decrease the requirements if the train isn't actively working against you (e.g. its engine isn't operating) and if functional breaks are being applied. In that case it's just a matter of helping it stop. Basically, you're adding your Strength to the train's (or adding your Strength to the acceleration of the train's Movement Power pehaps; kind of the opposite of using a Movement Power to increase your Str...).

BTW, IMO it would've been more Spidey-esque to jump up on top of the train (or swing out in front of it) and spin a big web in front of it or anchor the webbing to the train itself. Or maybe even use web tricks to extend the train tracks.... Ah well.

True...but I just saw that as "Grabbing on" to aply what STR he had....

I think it was more of applying more 'limited strength' akin to how Elasti-Girl held on to the Winnebago at the end of The Incredibles. She wasn't strong enough to actually lift the thing off the ground but she used herself as a giant bungie-cord to secure it to the rocket. Spidey did essentially the same thing with his webbing and the nearby buildings. His failed attempt at stopping the train directly with his feet (just like Mr. Incredible was able to do) is a pretty clear indication that he wouldn't have been able to stop the train without his webbing.

A dramatic way to resolve that kind of thing might be to say you need X Body worth of Strength rolls (counting the Normal Damage Body like an opposed Str roll) before the train will stop. Can you do it in the Y Turns before the train reaches the obstacle?

Yeah, just about anybody can stop a train but can you do it in time is the crucial factor.