DnD 3.5 to HERO 5e Conversion

BlueCloud2k2

Re: DnD 3.5 to HERO 5e Conversion

I apologize; the calcs I did were for 20th-level. A 13th-level Fighter can just survive terminal velocity; the GP needed for the fire resistant items, given the DMG spending caps, comes to 20th-level.

It's mixed in with other calculations, but you can pick the information up in these two threads:

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showpost.php?p=3843335&postcount=2439

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showpost.php?p=3843722&postcount=2447

D&D, by RAW, is normal to street to cosmic supers.

The only argument I've ever gotten back on that one is "it's ridiculous!", which is a poor argument - An opinion given as fact. :)

I'm not familiar with the site but it sounds like they are using comparing abilities from D&D with re-entry damage from another d20 system. About as sound as using the gun rules from 1st edition Boot Hill with 1st edition D&D characters. Both situations are outside of the designed scope of D&D (no matter what edition is used). Translate the characters to a universal system like HERO or probably even GURPS and the survivability goes way down.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not familiar with the site but it sounds like they are using comparing abilities from D&D with re-entry damage from another d20 system. About as sound as using the gun rules from 1st edition Boot Hill with 1st edition D&D characters. Both situations are outside of the designed scope of D&D (no matter what edition is used). Translate the characters to a universal system like HERO or probably even GURPS and the survivability goes way down.

That's me (check the name). And I was using numbers from D&D and a rough guess on how much extra heat equals +1d6 D&D damage.

That's because no-one translates using RAW; they translate using the literature. And they generally "round down". Which is point.

That's me (check the name). And I was using numbers from D&D and a rough guess on how much extra heat equals +1d6 D&D damage.

That's because no-one translates using RAW; they translate using the literature. And they generally "round down". Which is point.

Does D&D still allow a 20th level fighter to be killed by a knife to the throat while he's sleeping?

Does D&D still allow a 20th level fighter to be killed by a knife to the throat while he's sleeping?

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Helpless_Defenders - Yes and no. You get a critical and they are at -4 AC. If they survive, they have to make a Fort save at 10 + Damage dealt. So a plain old knife is going to take a lot of sawing...

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Helpless_Defenders - Yes and no. You get a critical and they are at -4 AC. If they survive' date=' they have to make a Fort save at 10 + Damage dealt. So a plain old knife is going to take a lot of sawing...[/quote']

Ok, I don't know what all those terms mean but it indicates that it is possible for that 20th level fighter to die by knife to the throat. That indicates that Hit Points are as much more a measure of fighting ability than they are of raw toughness (like the Hit Points of a Dragon). Falling from orbit and getting burned up by friction with the atmosphere is not a combat situation in any way. Therefore combat based hit points (which are essentially a version of Damage Reduction built into the core of D&D) should not apply in such a situation.

If they survive' date=' they have to make a Fort save at 10 + Damage dealt. So a plain old knife is going to take a lot of sawing...[/quote']

Maybe if you're a wizard. A mid- to upper-level rogue or fighter can easily force a DC 50 Fort save, which is as close to automatic death as it gets in D&D.

Maybe if you're a wizard. A mid- to upper-level rogue or fighter can easily force a DC 50 Fort save' date=' which is as close to automatic death as it gets in D&D.[/quote']

With a magic weapon, yes. With a "knife", no.

Ok' date=' I don't know what all those terms mean but it indicates that it is [u']possible[/u] for that 20th level fighter to die by knife to the throat. That indicates that Hit Points are as much more a measure of fighting ability than they are of raw toughness (like the Hit Points of a Dragon). Falling from orbit and getting burned up by friction with the atmosphere is not a combat situation in any way. Therefore combat based hit points (which are essentially a version of Damage Reduction built into the core of D&D) should not apply in such a situation.

So you're arguing without knowing the rules?

Hit points explicitly apply in that situation.

With a magic weapon, yes. With a "knife", no.

So you're arguing without knowing the rules?

Hit points explicitly apply in that situation.

I am arguing on 2 points.

1. I have extensive knowledge of 1st ed. AD&D and Gary Gygax's description of Hit Points. That the game has changed significantly in later editions I have no doubt but Hit Points are still a core aspect of the game.

2. No edition of the D&D has any rules specific to orbital re-entry damage.

I am arguing on 2 points.

1. I have extensive knowledge of 1st ed. AD&D and Gary Gygax's description of Hit Points. That the game has changed significantly in later editions I have no doubt but Hit Points are still a core aspect of the game.

2. No edition of the D&D has any rules specific to orbital re-entry damage.

1. The rules changed extensively in 3rd edition. Hit points apply to Coup de Grace.

1a. Nevertheless, I must admit that I, too, am ignoring a later edition of the rules. But I've read them.

2. I extrapolated. Do you have any argument relative to that extrapolation?

1. The rules changed extensively in 3rd edition. Hit points apply to Coup de Grace.

1a. Nevertheless, I must admit that I, too, am ignoring a later edition of the rules. But I've read them.

2. I extrapolated. Do you have any argument relative to that extrapolation?

Assuming we are talking about a 20th level Fighter with no magical equipment we are still talking about an otherwise normal member of the character's race (human, dwarf, whatever...).

As has been pointed out by others, 20th level D&D characters translate in power to "legendary/epic/cosmic superhero".

I posit that the ultimate examples of "normal human" plus "legendary/epic/cosmic superhero" are Batman and Captain America (500, 1000, 1500 points, it doesn't matter).

Are you seriously making the argument that without their special equipment (essentially D&D magic items) that either one of them could survive orbital re-entry?!?

Yeah, they can survive toe-to-toe combat with Darkseid/Thanos but they aren't invulnerable or actually harder to kill than any other normal human IF they are actually directly hit by an attack.

Guys, this is a dumb argument.

Besides, what I was mostly pointing out wasn't the power of the fighters, but the over-powering of the mages.

For example, in a game I'm currently playing.. the 16th level Druid, who is also a salt mummy (how much of a level adjustment he has, I'm not sure, but his base caster level is less than 16.) He completely destroyed an entire city and nearly killed the entire 100,000+ population in a matter of minutes. How? With spells like blizzard, earthquake, some crazy fire spell and another which I think is called Pestilence. Basically the target of that spell starts taking CON damage but they also automatically transfer the disease to anyone they touch. So he targeted 'Paramedic-like' people and 'priest-like' people who were doing a lot of touching amidst the fire and fallen buildings.

So, DM allowances and strict rules lawyering ASIDE.... my questions are these:

1. Can anyone get this powerful in Hero realistically? (It's realistic in D&D because the spells and levels of casters are clearly printed in the rules. You simply have to level up.)

2. If they can, or can come close, how does this translate in the conversion to Hero.

With a magic weapon' date=' yes. With a "knife", no.[/quote']

Power attack a one-handed weapon with two hands and you double your damage bonus. Power Attack for 8, giving +16 damage, then add STR bonus and maybe weapon specialization and you're at 20 base damage easy. Auto-crit does 40 damage, ergo 50 DC Fort save or die with zero magic. A 13th level rogue has it harder, probably doing ~6 (doubled to 12) base damage plus 6d6 sneak attack (21 damage), or a mere DC 43 save or die. Easy peasy.

That's aside from the fact you should be able to get off your full multiple attack suite before the target can react, meaning 2 or 3 DC 40+ Fort saves in a row. If the sheer damage doesn't kill you, good luck making the saving throws.

*Grabs a fire extinguisher and a bucket of sand*

D&D (flawed) rules aside, who cares?

This is a thread to discuss converting D&D stuff (at least it's flavor if not it's broken mechanics) to HERO System. Not to argue over petty little details. While it is an interesting fact that Narf's calculations say a 20th level fighter could theoretically survive re-entry, is it worth arguing over? I don't think so.

And for those who insist on playing D&D (any edition). Go. Play. Have Fun. I'm glad you are able to enjoy the rules mechanics, cuz they drive me completely bonkers. I'm not dissing the investment I made in all of my books and magazines and the hours I spent playing. It just gives me more source material not only for a Fantasy HERO campaign, but my own novel writing as well.

That said, the more I read Killer Shrike's site, the more I'm liking his take on things. I just hit the actual mechanics behind the Magic System. 70% was stuff I'd already planned on doing myself (even if I didn't know exactly how I was going to do it). But the 30% of stuff I didn't think of myself gives that much more stuff for me to play with.

That's an artifact of 3 things:

1) WotC deliberately overpriced +LA templates. Multiple templates compounded the problem.

2) The benefits of LA were fixed, but the cost was variable. What cost you 1000xp at 2nd level is now costing you 25,000 xp at 10th.

3) The benefits were fixed, so what is fun or even overpowered at 2nd level is mundane and trivial (and thus hardly worth the xp) at 10th or 15th.

Nonstandard abilities should have been given a fixed xp cost. Then as you level you are given the opportunity to pay the fixed cost again to gain another increment of the ability. That's not very D&Dish, though. It's rather more like Hero :)

Actually in 3.5E they did allow this ... sorta. You could buy off level adjustments, though the way it worked was so draconian (no pun really intended) that only +1 to +2 LA creatures could plausibly expect to do it in most games.

Cheers, Mark

No edition of the D&D has any rules specific to orbital re-entry damage.
Well technically, in 3E, it would be falling damage (which caps at 20d6), plus fire damage (which is unknown, but seems likely to be no more than immersion in lava). Any 20th level warrior-type can survive that, if they have a ring or potion of fire resistance. And maybe even without that.

Coup-de-Grace is a somewhat different case. If the person slitting your throat is a decently skilled assassin or warrior using appropriate equipment (a pick is better than a dagger for this), then most characters will be toast (maybe not a real Con-monster type). If it's just a 1st level thug, then a 20th level character is going to survive that (and jump out of bed ready to fight), barring extraordinarily bad luck.

But more usefully, I was recently thinking about converting an old high-level character into HERO, and yeah, it was definitely far beyond "Heroic".

For one thing, consider the effect of getting +Level to BAB and skills. Pondering what a +20 would translate to, I calculated this:

* In D&D, someone with +18 has a 95% chance to succeed at something that a person with +0 has a 5% chance to succeed at.

* In HERO, that would be a +11 bonus (5- to 15-).

* Then the +20 guy has another +10%, so another +1 in HERO (at least in the middle of the chart, it would be more at the extremes).

* So that's 11 Overall skill levels (limited to attacks + trained skills) right off the bat.

But really, it was more converting the effects of Master of Many Forms (requiring a large Multiform where many of the forms had VPPs, or else the dreaded Variable Multiform) that put it well into Champions-level territory.

No, I was taking that into account - if it was just a question of RNG limits, then a D&D +20 would be a HERO +18.

An 19th level D&D character has the ability to almost always (95%) succeed at something that a 1st-level character has barely any chance at (5%).

Now depending where on the bell curve they lie, the spread could be different in HERO. But +10 is the least bonus you could have to get that effect.

Here is a 10th Level party that I converted for a convention game a few yers back (to fight off against a Champions superhero team and a White Wolf monster team).

First, the cleric.

Cleric (Human)

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

10 STR 0 11- Lift 100kg; 2d6 HTH [1]

12 DEX 6 11- OCV: 7*/DCV: 10*

13 CON 6 12-

13 BODY 6 12-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll: 12-

20 EGO 20 15-* ECV: 7

18 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack: 3½d6

12 COM 1 11-

6 PD 3 Total: 18 PD (12 rPD)

6 ED 2 Total: 18 ED (12 rED)

4 SPD 18 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

5 REC 0

26 END 0

35 STUN 10

Total Characteristics Cost: 83

Cost Class END

5 Spellcaster: May Cast Spells 0

6 Turn Undead: +30 PRE; Only for PRE Attacks (-1), Only versus Undead (-1), 8 Charges (-½), Extra Time (half phase, -½), OAF (holy symbol, -1) 0

6 Domain: +2 with Healing Skills* 0

Equipment

18 +1 Mace: HKA 1d6+1 (2d6 with STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½); OAF (-1) plus +1 OCV; OAF (-1) 0

37 Vestments of Faith: Armor (12 PD/12 ED); IIF (-¼), Must Be Spellcaster (-¼) plus +4 DCV*; IIF (-¼), Must Be Spellcaster (-¼) 0

8 Ring of Protection: +2 DCV*; IIF (-¼) 0

9 Ring of Warmth: Force Field (10 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½); Only versus Cold (-1), IIF (-¼) plus Life Support (Extreme Cold); IIF (-¼) 0

1 Torches: Images; Only to Create Light (-1), No Range (-½), OAF (-1), 2 Charges lasting 1 Hour (-0) [2cc]

Feats

8 Combat Casting: +4* to Magic Roll 0

6 Improved Initiative: Lightning Reflexes +4 with All Actions 0

4 Iron Will: +2 with EGO Rolls* 0

6 Leadership: +2 to Persuasion, Oratory, and Teamwork* 0

2 Quiet Spell: Endurance Reserve (10 END, 10 REC), REC Recovers per Day (-4); Only to Remove Incantations (-1) 0

9 Spellcasting: +3 OCV* with Spells 0

2 Still Spell: Endurance Reserve (10 END, 10 REC), REC Recovers per Day (-4), Only to Remove Gestures (-1) 0

Spells Charges

50 Prepared Spells: Multipower, 75-point reserve; Variable Limitation (Requires a Skill Roll or Not when in Melee, -¼), Variable Limitation (-½ from: Charges, Focus, Gestures, Incantations, or Costs Endurance -¼) [33]

53u 40 Spells [33]

Spontaneous, Domain*

0th: Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Light, Read Magic, Virtue, Cure Minor Wounds

1st: Bless, Deathwatch, Doom, Protection from Evil, Remove Fear, *Sanctuary, Shield of Faith, Cure Light Wounds

2nd: Aid, Hold Person, Lesser Restoration, Remove Paralysis, *Shield Other, Silence, Cure Moderate Wounds

3rd: Bestow Curse, Glyph of Warding, *Protection from Elements, Prayer, Remove Blindness/Deafness, Wind Wall, Cure Serious Wounds

4th: Divine Power, Freedom Of Movement, Greater Magic Weapon, Repel Vermin, *Spell Immunity, Cure Critical Wounds

5th: Flame Strike, Insect Plague, Raise Dead, *Spell Resistance, Healing Circle

Skills

2 Language: Abyssal (Common is Native)

2 Language: Celestial

2 Language: Infernal

3 Magic 19-

3 Oratory 15-

3 Paramedic 14-

3 Persuasion 15-

3 Riding 12-

3 Scholar

2 KS: Healing 14-

2 KS: Magic 14-

2 KS: Religion 14-

3 Teamwork 12-

4 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 272

Total Cost: 350

250+ Disadvantages

10 Distinctive Features: Good (Not Concealable, Detectable with Unusual Sense)

5 Distinctive Features: Holy Robes and an Ankh (Easily Concealable)

5 Enraged: When Deity Insulted (Go 8-, Rec 14-, Uncommon)

15 Physical Limitation: Must Spend 1 Hour Praying to Prepare Spells (Frequent, Greatly)

15 Physical Limitation: Religious Restrictions on Spells (Frequently, Greatly)

25 Psychological Limitation: Lawful Good (Very Common, Total)

10 Psychological Limitation: Protective Of Companions (Common, Moderate)

15 Vulnerability: 1½x STUN from Critical Hits (Very Common, To-Hit Rolls of 3 or 4)

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

Cleric is a human priest, following the god of goodness and light. His deity has granted him the ability to cast various spells, but has restricted his behavior as befits a disciple of honor.

Personality/Motivation: Cleric’s heart is one of service, and in his line of work, that often means healing. He is called by his deity to go forth into the world and rid it of evil, be it by converting the neutrals to repentance, or more commonly, laying a mace upside the head of evil.

Powers/Tactics: Cleric is armed with an enchanted mace and his holy symbol, with which he can stave off undead (skeletons, vampires, etc.) several times per day.

His more common “weapon,” however, is his array of spells. He can cast a spell as an ordinary attack action (most of the time), or he can “spontaneously cast” a healing spell (which are underlined in his spell list), by using up another of his daily spells, at a moment’s notice. He also can cast Domain Spells (marked with an asterisk* in his spell list), which are extra spells granted him by his deity. The Domain Spells cannot be converted to healing spells, and are always prepared each day.

And here are his spells:

Cleric’s Spells

1u Create Water (0): Major Transform 4d6 (into Water, up to 12 gallons); Limited Target (only versus Air, -½), No Range (-½), All Or Nothing (-½), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), 1 Charge (-2) [1]

1u Cure Minor Wounds (0): Simplified Healing ½d6; Not versus Undead (-½), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), 6 Charges (-¾), Each Charges “Uses Up” a Charge of Another 0-Level Spell (-½) [6]

1u Detect Magic (0): Detect (See) Magic, Sense, Discriminatory; Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), 1 Charge lasting 5 Minutes (-¾) [1cc]

1u Detect Poison (0): Detect (See) Poison, Discriminatory; Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), 1 Charge (-2) [1]

1u Light (0): Images, +4 PER; Only to Create Light (-1), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1), 1 Charge lasting 1 Hour (-¼) [1cc]

1u Read Magic (0): Universal Translator; Only for Reading Magic (-1), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1), 1 Charge lasting 1 Hour (-¼) [1cc]

1u Virtue (0): Aid STUN and BODY ½d6, Delayed Fade Rate (1 Minute, +¼); Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1) [1]

1u Bless (1): Succor DEX and PRE 3d6 (Standard Effect = +3 DEX and +10 PRE), Variable Effect (two characteristics, +½), Area Of Effect (6” Selective Radius, +1½); Only for OCV/DCV and PRE Defense (-½), 1 Charge lasting 5 Minutes (-½), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1) [1cc]

1u Cure Light Wounds (1): Simplified Healing 1d6; Not versus Undead (-½), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), 6 Charges (-¾), Each Charges “Uses Up” a Charge of Another 1-Level Spell (-½) [6]

1u Deathwatch (1): Detect (See) Health (STUN and BODY Levels), Sense, Discriminatory, 360o Perception; Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), 1 Charge lasting 1 Hour (-¼) [1cc]

1u Doom (1): Suppress DEX and PRE 3d6 (Standard Effect = -3 DEX and -10 PRE), Variable Effect (two characteristics, +½), Ranged (+½), Area Of Effect (Accurate, +½); Only for OCV/DCV and PRE Defense (-½), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1), 1 Charge lasting 5 Minutes (-¾) [1cc]

1u Protection from Evil (1): Force Field (10 PD/10 ED/10 Mental), Usable By Other (+¼); Not Cumulative with Magic Circle Against Evil (-¼), Only from “Evil” (-1), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1), 1 Charge lasting 5 Minutes (-¾) [1cc]

1u Remove Fear (1): Succor PRE 6d6 (Set Effect = +18 PRE), Area Of Effect (3” Selective Radius, +1¼); Only to Counter Effects of Previous PRE Attack (-1½), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), 1 Charge (-2) [1]

1u *Sanctuary (1): Desolid (not versus attackers who beat the target at EGO versus EGO Roll), Usable By Other (+¼); Only to Protect Against Attacks (-1), Spell Ends if Attacking (- 1), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1), 1 Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1) [1cc]

1u Shield of Faith (1): Force Field (10 PD/10 ED), Usable By Other (+¼); Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1), 1 Charge lasting 5 Minutes (-½) [1cc]

1u Aid (2): Succor DEX, PRE, BODY, and STUN 3d6 (Standard Effect = +3 DEX and +10 PRE), Variable Effect (four characteristics, +1); DEX and PRE are Only for OCV/DCV and PRE Defense (-0), 1 Charge lasting 5 Minutes (-½), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1) [1]

1u Cure Moderate Wounds (2): Simplified Healing 2d6; Not versus Undead (-½), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), 5 Charges (-¾), Each Charges “Uses Up” a Charge of Another 2-Level Spell (-½) [5]

2u Hold Person (2): Entangle 2 BODY 3 DEF, Works Against EGO, not STR (+¼), Takes No Damage from Physical Attacks (+¼), Area Of Effect (One Hex Accurate, +½), No Range Penalty (+½); Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1), 1 Charge (-1) [1]

1u Lesser Restoration (2): Healing 3d6+1 (Standard Effect = 10 points), Any One Characteristic (+½); Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), Extra Time (full phase plus extra segment, -¾), 1 Charge (-2) [1]

1u Remove Paralysis (2): Dispel 10d6, Any One Paralysis Power (+¼), Area Of Effect (3” Selective Radius, +1¼); Only Paralysis-based Entangles (-1), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), 1 Charge (-2) [1]

2u *Shield Other (2): Force Field (15 PD/ 15 ED), Usable by Other (+¼), Ranged (+½), Area Of Effect (Accurate, +½); Side Effect (Caster takes the damage that the force field prevented, -1¼), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1), 1 Charge lasting 6 Hours (-0) [1cc]

3u Silence (2): Darkness to Hearing Group, 2” Radius, Usable As Attack (+1), Area Of Effect (Accurate, +½), No Range Penalty (+½), Invisible to Sight (+½); Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), 1 Charge lasting 1 Minutes (-½) [1cc]

3u Bestow Curse (3): Suppress 3d6 (Standard Effect = -10 points), Any Two Characteristics (+½), Area Of Effect (One Hex, +½), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½), Persistent (+½), 1 Charge lasting 1 Century (+2); Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), No Range (-½) [1cc]

1u Cure Serious Wounds (3): Simplified Healing 4d6; Not versus Undead (-½), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), 4 Charges (-1), Each Charges “Uses Up” a Charge of Another 3-Level Spell (-½) [4]

1u Glyph of Warding (3): RKA 2d6, Variable Special Effects (+¼), Trigger (+¼), Area Of Effect (One Hex, +½), Penetrating (+½); Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), 1 Charge (-2), Extra Time (5 minutes, -2) [1]

1u *Protection from Elements (3): Force Field (0 PD/20 ED); versus Single Chosen Element (-1), Ablative (-1), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1), 1 Charge Lasting 1 Hour (-¾) [1cc]

2u Prayer (3): Succor Combat Powers 3d6 (Standard Effect = +1 OCV, +1 DCV, +5 BODY, +10 PRE, +20 END, +10 STUN, +2 Damage Classes), Variable Effect (all powers of a special effect, +2), Area Of Effect (8” Selective Radius, +1¾); 1 Charge lasting 2 Turns (-¾), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1) [1cc]

2u Remove Blindness/Deafness (3): Healing 7d6 (7 Flash Segments) for Blindness and Deafness, Can Heal Eyes/Ears; Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), 1 Charge (-2) [1]

1u Wind Wall (3): Missile Deflection (up to arrows), Ranged (+1), Uncontrolled (+½), Area Of Effect (12 Hexes, +1½), Affects Gaseous (+¼); Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1), 1 Charge lasting 2 Turns (-½) [1cc]

2u Cure Critical Wounds (4): Simplified Healing 7d6; Not versus Undead (-½), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), 4 Charges (-1), Each Charges “Uses Up” a Charge of Another 4-Level Spell (-½) [4]

1u Divine Power (4): Succor 3d6 STR and DEX 9d6 (Set Effect = +10 STR +9 DEX); Self Only (-½), DEX Only for OCV/DCV (-½), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1), 1 Charge lasting 2 Turns (-¾) [1cc]

1u Freedom Of Movement (4): Succor STR, DEX, EGO, SPD, and All Movement 5d6, Variable Effect (all powers of a related group, +2); Only to Negate Movement Penalties (-2), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1), 1 Charge lasting 1 Hour (-¼) [1cc]

3u Greater Magic Weapon (4): Succor Damage 5d6 and OCV 8d6 (Set Effect = +15 Active Points of Damage and +5 OCV); Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1), 1 Charge lasting 6 Hours (-0) [1cc]

1u Repel Vermin (4): Force Wall (12 PD/ 0 ED), Transparent to Physical (+½), Backlash (+½), Does Knockback (+¼), Usable by Other (+¼); Only Against Bugs and Rodents (-1), Only to Center a Sphere on Target (-½), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1), 1 Charge lasting 1 Hour (-¼) [1cc]

1u *Spell Immunity (4): Force Field (20 PD/20 ED/10 Mental/10 Power), Usable by Other (+¼); Only Against Magic Spells (-1), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1), 1 Charge lasting 1 Hour (-¼) [1cc]

2u Healing Circle (5): Simplified Healing 3d6, Area Of Effect (3” Selective Radius, +1¼); Not versus Undead (-½), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), 3 Charges (-1¼), Each Charges “Uses Up” a Charge of Another 5-Level Spell (-½) [3]

2u Flame Strike (5): EB 3d6, AVLD (versus Power Defense, +1½), Does BODY (+1), Area Of Effect (8” Tall, 2” Radius, +1), Indirect (from above, +½), No Range Penalty (+½); Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1), 1 Charge (-2) [1]

1u Insect Plague (5): RKA 1 Pip, Autofire (3 Shots, +¼), Continuous (+1), Uncontrolled (+½), Area Of Effect (16” Radius, +1¾), Personal Immunity (+¼), NND (PD Force Field, +1), Does BODY (+1), 250 Charges (+1), Indirect (+½); Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1), Lasts 5 Minutes (-0) [1cc]

1u Raise Dead (5): Simplified Healing 5d6, Resurrection; Not versus Undead (-½), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1), 1 Charge (-2), Extra Time (1 Minute, -1½) [1]

1u *Spell Resistance (5): Damage Reduction 50%, Physical and Energy, Resistant, Usable By Other (+¼); Only versus Magic Spells (-1), Gestures (-¼), Incantations (-¼), OAF (-1), 1 Charge (-2) [1]

That's alot of craziness! But good work!

Basically..that's alot of points though right? I'm a n00b so we should probably get someone else's opinion on that. And I'll restate my question in a different way.. If you converted a Fighter class, perhaps with lots of PD and maybe some magic items of some kind... who would win? The Cleric or the Fighter?

That's alot of craziness! But good work!

Basically..that's alot of points though right? I'm a n00b so we should probably get someone else's opinion on that. And I'll restate my question in a different way.. If you converted a Fighter class, perhaps with lots of PD and maybe some magic items of some kind... who would win? The Cleric or the Fighter?

Who gets to strike first?

Ah, perhaps, but the comparison is of converted D&D characters. So, perhaps a 350 points Cleric and a 350 Fighter might be tied, but I'm not saying how many points each is. It all depends on how you converted the character over from D&D. Logistically, any Fighter is most likely going to be slaughtered by any caster, especially if they have time to prepare. I personally don't know how to guage the power of 'spells' and physical defense and initiative just because I haven't played alot of Heroes.

Actually.. lemme tell you a story...

So I'm Darlan, the 6lvl Fighter/6lvl Disciple of Dispater (BoVD), clad in spiked black iron full-plate, wielding a large +4 Flaming scythe and a wicked smile. I had previously had an enoucter with the Mages Guild of Dunley; the result of my ignorance to their intolerance of lawful evil vikings. Fortunately I survived with no harm done; except a Geas! Of course, I also survived that, but only with the help of my evil determination and lust for revenge. So I lured a mage into a tavern with an anonymous note (delivered by a very cute messenger boy, whom I tipped well) simply wanting to guage the reaction. He showed up and began threatening to burn the place down if I didn't show myself. In my disguise, I tried to vacate, but somehow he knew it was me and grabbed my arm. Well... knowing his power, I wasn't going to let him get the drop on me! So, I pulled my scythe out of my extra-dimensional cape and layed the hate down on him. He had up buffs which I apprently didn't see. Then he side-stepped! and cast Greater Invisibility, but not before getting off a quickened Prismatic Spray.. Luckily I got the 40 points of fire damage. So, I summoned an Erinyes for her good eye-sight. By that time I was up to my neck in Evard's Black Tentacles and another 80 points of lightning damage. So, it was all up to my devil summon. With true seeing, his buffs were useless and 2 hits with her high base attack bonus and +2 Longbow would be too much for his powerful mind. I roll... 2. Miss. I roll again.... ...2. From there, he cast Maze on the Erinyes and then I could not bear to hear the rest of vivid descriptions.

Not necassarily. The two times I've run the scenario, it was far from a single-sided battle.

Wizard next.

Wizard (Elf)

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

10 STR 0 12-* Lift 100 kg; 2d6 HTH [1]

14 DEX 12 13-* OCV: 7*/DCV: 9*

13 CON 6 13-*

13 BODY 6 13-*

25 INT 10* 15-* PER Roll: 17-

15 EGO 10 13-* ECV: 5

18 PRE 8 14-* PRE Attack: 3½d6

14 COM 2 13-*

5 PD 3 Total: 15 PD (10 rPD)

5 ED 2 Total: 15 ED (10 rED)

4 SPD 16 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

5 REC 0

26 END 0

25 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 75

Cost Racial END

6 Alertness: +2 PER 0

3 Charm-Proof: Mental Defense 7 (10 Total); Only versus Mind Control and Mental Illusions (-1) 0

2 Longevity: Lifespan 400 years 0

5 Low-Light Vision: Ultraviolet Sight 0

3 Search: Detect (See) Secret Doors, Sense; No Range (-½) 0

1 Sleep-Proof: Life Support (No Need to Sleep); Only versus Magic (-2) 0

Class

5 Spellcaster: May Cast Spells 0

15 Familiar: Follower: Cat Familiar (Evasion, Share Spells, Empathic Link, Touch, Speak with Master & Cats) 0

Equipment

19 Wand of Fireballs: RKA 1½d6, Area Of Effect (3” Radius, +1), No Range Penalty (+½); Gestures (-¼), OAF (-1), Incantations (-¼), 6 Charges (-¾) [6]

12 +1 Dagger: HKA ½d6 (1d6+1 with STR), Penetrating (+½), Reduced Endurance (½ END, +¼), Can Be Thrown (+¼); OAF (-1) plus +1 OCV; OAF (-1) 1

9 Longbow: RKA 1d6+1, Penetrating (+½); OAF (-1), 8 Charges (-½), Costs END (-½), Two-Handed (-½)

40 Robe of the Archmagi: Armor (10 PD/ 10 ED); IIF (-¼), Must Be Spellcaster (-¼) plus +2 DCV*; IIF (-¼), Must Be Spellcaster (-¼) plus +2 OCV* with Spells; IIF (-¼) plus +1 to All Characteristic Rolls*; IIF (-¼), Must Be Spellcaster (-¼) 0

3 Headband Of Intellect: +5 INT*; IAF (-½) 0

8 Ring of Protection: +2 DCV*; IIF (-¼) 0

2 Ring of Feather Fall: Gliding 5”; IIF (-¼), Only to Slow Falls (-½) 0

12 Boots of Striding and Springing: Running and Leaping +4”, Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½); IAF (-½) 0

Feats

8 Combat Casting: +4* to Magic Roll 0

3 Craft Wand: Inventor 15- 0

5 Spell Penetration +2 OCV with Spells; Only versus Magical Creatures (-1) 0

Spells Charges

37 Prepared Spells: Multipower, 64-point reserve; Variable Limitation (Requires a Skill Roll or Not when in Melee, -¼), Variable Limitation (-1 from: Charges, Focus, Gestures, or Incantations, -½) [31]

42u 31 Spells [31]

0th: Detect Magic, Flare, Light , Mage Hand, Read Magic;

1st: Cause Fear, Enlarge, Identify, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Ray of Enfeeblement, Shield;

2nd: Hypnotic Pattern, Invisibility, Melf’s Acid Arrow, Mirror Image, Tasha’s Hideous Laughter, Web;

3rd: Displacement, Fireball, Fly, Hold Person, Lightning Bolt, Protection from Elements;

4th: Dimension Door, Evard’s Black Tentacles, Minor Globe of Invulnerability, Stoneskin;

5th: Cone Of Cold, Feeblemind, Wall of Force

Skills

3 Analyze Magic 15-

3 KS: Elves 15-

3 KS: Magical Items 15-

3 KS: Nature 15-

3 Language: Common (Elven is Native)

3 Language: Draconic/Wizardry

3 Language: Sylvan

3 Magic 19-

3 Riding 12-

3 Survival (forest, plains) 15-

3 Teamwork 12-

3 Tracking 15-

4 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 275

Total Cost: 350

250+ Disadvantages

10 Distinctive Features: Neutral (Not Concealable, Detectable with Unusual Sense)

10 Distinctive Features: Elvish Ears, Magician’s Cap and Robe (Concealable)

15 Physical Limitation: Cannot Cast Spells while in Armor (Frequently, Greatly)

15 Physical Limitation: Must Spend 1 Hour Studying Spellbook to Prepare Spells (Frequent, Greatly)

10 Psychological Limitation: Believes that Magic is the Greatest Power (Common, Moderate)

25 Psychological Limitation: True Neutral (Very Common, Total)

15 Vulnerability: 1½x STUN from Critical Hits (Very Common, To-Hit Rolls of 3 or 4)

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

Wizard is an elven spellcaster. With the pointy hat and the flowing robes, it’s pretty obvious that he’s a magician of some kind, and the pointy ears and lithe figure belie his race. He’s more offense than defense, and his friends usually try to keep him safe.

Personality/Motivation: Wizard is the smartest and oldest one in the party, and he expects respect (he doesn’t always get it, but he expects it…). He believes that magic is more powerful than weapons or armor, and in many cases, he’s right. But magic spells can only be cast so many times a day, whereas a sword can be swung all day.

Powers/Tactics: Wizard’s primary role in the party is that of artillery. He usually stands back during a combat and casts spell after spell, or will use his wand of fireballs to cause repeated damage.

Wizard knows many spells. He has to decide at the beginning of the day which spells he’s going to cast, and cannot wear armor while he does. Most of his spells can be cast as a normal attack action, but some of them take a much longer time.