New to PnP RPGs.

Presbytier

Re: New to PnP RPGs.

You need a rule book in whatever setting you are going to use.

Hero has the sixth edition

Palladium has several depending on the setting. My favorite is Heroes Unlimited.

Paizo has pathfinder

WOTC has D&D

Steve Jackson has Gurps

Plus there are hundreds of other games out there

Read the book

Then you are going to need a group or play by post game to get involved in.

Then you can play.

Thanks that will give me a good place to start. Since I play Champions Online I will probably start with the Hero books( I do realize there is a difference between CO and PnP, but I like the Champions setting thus far so I figured that was a good place to start).Other than the book any other helpful tips for a new guy. Since I do not know anybody that plays a PnP I will have to convert:sneaky: I mean convince my friends to try it out with me.

I would suggest picking up the Hero System Basic rule book. It has most of the core rules for the system without a lot of the options and more complicated stuff. It's a good price for $20 and if you think you'll actually use the system and buy the full rules the Basic rule book make a nice "player hand-book" or table book/quick reference guide.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the system, so I want to point out that Hero System is a generic role playing rule set and doesn't have Champions or any other setting built into the core rule books. If you are looking at running/playing a superhero game I would suggest getting the Champions genre book, which details many aspects of playing superhero games and discusses the various comic book "ages" (gold, silver, et cetera) as well as power levels, campaign types, sample characters and much more. If you want material relating directly to the Champions setting you are familiar with from the online version there is Champions Universe book. While Champions is a genre book dealing with palying superheros in general Champions Universe is the official superhero setting for Hero System and will have many of the locations and characters you are familiar with from the video game. Remember, you need at least the Basic Rule book (if not the two book core rules) to actually play the game. Strictly speaking, none of the other stuff I mentioned is needed, though as someone who is new to Hero System, and roleplaying in general, having the supplimental material would probably be very helpful for getting a feel of how to play, and run, the game.

You can also go over to HeroCentral and get involved in a play-by-post game. http://www.herocentral.net/ You can post in the message area explaining that you are new to Hero System and looking for a game to play in to learn the system. I'm sure you can find a game to accomodate you.

The best advice I can give is go to http://www.penandpapergames.com . It is a networking forum for PPG players (has a campaign seach function and a player search function). They can help absorb you into the fold. Depending on where you are from, you may be able to go to a local gaming store and sit in on a game.

But depending upon which genre you want, is what game you should pick up.

Thanks that will give me a good place to start. Since I play Champions Online I will probably start with the Hero books( I do realize there is a difference between CO and PnP' date=' but I like the Champions setting thus far so I figured that was a good place to start).Other than the book any other helpful tips for a new guy. Since I do not know anybody that plays a PnP I will have to convert:sneaky: I mean convince my friends to try it out with me.[/quote']

I have found, especially since I just adopted three Never played PnP RPG's before folks, one of which has seen CO......that the Champions Powers book, is very helpful for them. Not to mention the templates in the Champions book itself. With those they were able to hop right in the game the other day with the experienced and semi experienced folks and fit in with little to no issues other then me telling one of my Issue players to "Shut Up you're Confusing the New People!" a few times.....

~Rex.....6e....very easy for new folks to pick up......seriously easy.

I'd like to add that, if you're running the game, you'll want to create the non-player characters (NPCs), and of course your players will need to create their heroes. You can do this on paper by hand, but you might find Hero Designer a good tool.

There are numerous sites (like Surbrook's Stuff) that have characters available for your use and perusal. Also, you'll find plenty of sample characters on these boards.

Finally, this forum can be a tremendous resource. Don't be afraid to start threads here to ask questions. You'll find people here are generally pretty helpful (sometimes even overwhelmingly so ;)). Also, there are existing threads on this forum and the General Roleplaying forum with advice on gamemastering, suggestions for plot ideas, and so on.

Thank you all for the advice. It looks like I will be picking up the Hero Basic core book and probably the Champions Universe to start me off.:thumbup:

I'd recommend Champions the genre book first. It'll give you a good feel for superhero gaming and has a lot of sample characters and quick-start builds. Get the CU only if you want to play in the official setting. I also highly recommend Champions Powers for all of the power examples and then the core Hero System books -- Bestiary, Martial Arts, and (when they come out) Vehicle and so on.

A couple more questions. What is the difference between this book Champions Universe 6th Ed and this book Champions: The Super Roleplaying Game.

Also which of these next books are must gets:

Champions Powers

HERO System 6th Edition: Character Creation

HERO System 6th Edition: Combat and Adventuring

HERO System Advanced Player's Guide

HERO System Basic Rulebook

Pleas forgive me for all the questions, but I have never done this before(except watching a few D&D games). I am very interested though, because it looks and sounds like allot of fun. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

Champions: The Super Roleplaying Game is a genre book which discusses (as I mentioned above) roleplaying superheroes in general. It covers everything from the different comic book "ages" to power levels, game tone, and even common comicbook/superhero tropes

Champions Universe 6th Ed is a specific setting (as opposed to the more general genre book) that covers the Champions world, the official superhero setting from Hero that correlates with Champions Online.

A couple more questions. What is the difference between this book Champions Universe 6th Ed and this book Champions: The Super Roleplaying Game.

Champions Powers

Pleas forgive me for all the questions, but I have never done this before(except watching a few D&D games). I am very interested though, because it looks and sounds like allot of fun. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

Start with HERO System Basic Rulebook

If you like that, and want to play supers, go to Champions: The Super Roleplaying Game

Then look into Champions Powers.

Thanks that will give me a good place to start. Since I play Champions Online I will probably start with the Hero books( I do realize there is a difference between CO and PnP' date=' but I like the Champions setting thus far so I figured that was a good place to start).Other than the book any other helpful tips for a new guy. Since I do not know anybody that plays a PnP I will have to convert:sneaky: I mean convince my friends to try it out with me.[/quote']

Long and Watts are so reading this and doing a little happy dance.

The Powers book lets you cafeteria shop for your character core abilities in manageable, descriptive chunks. The title of the power tells you precisely what the power can do, and this book was meant for you. It turns character construction into like assembling a model rather than if you were to work from the core rulebook exclusively, which is like chiseling your character out of a block of marble.

There are ways to distance game over the internet and also there is a player finder here on these very boards. You might be pleased to discover just how many potential new gaming friends live near.

Heh, my one new guy, Just turned into 6 New people, new to RPG's period much less HERO. Now, I have the problem that my new folk are picking up 6e 20 times faster then my ecperienced Hero people or my d20 converts.....

Now I just got to find a place that can handle 14 or so people if everyone shows up on the same day.....

~Rex

One last question: after I get the books what type of dice do I need to get?This may seem like a dumb question' date=' but it seems every other RPG has its own rules about dice.:nonp:[/quote']

Yahtzee, Monopoly, Backgammon, Vegas and many more are all good.

Basically you can use any kind of dice you want... as long as they have 6 sides. :D

As has already been addressed, Champions Universe is setting specific; Champions: The Super RPG is is for superheroing in general, whether you want a Marvel, DC, or Champions universe, or something else.

I suggest that if you're already interested in the Champions Universe setting, you may want to get that rather than the more generic.

Champions Powers

The Basic Rulebook contains a stripped down version of the rules; it's probably the best one to start with for you.

But between them, Character Creation and Combat and Adventuring have everything that's in the Basic book, and more.

You will probably find Champions Powers very helpful. Any power that's in it you could have built from the rules in Character Creation or even from the Basic book, but using Champions Powers gives you "plug and play" abilities you can assemble a hero or villain from.

Lucius Alexander

Plug and play palindromedary