GMs: for your Public Identity heroes

BobGreenwade

Here's a possible long-term scenario idea that would only work for a superhero who:

• Operates under a Public Identity, one that is a matter of public record, or at least one that a significant Hunter with NCI knows.
  • Is at least 35 years old.
  • Is a natural-born citizen of the United States of America.
  • Has been a permanent resident of the United States for at least the last fourteen years.

Some of you probably figured out that last one before reading it. Yes, I'm talking about running the character for the office of President of the United States.

But no, I'm not talking about encouraging him to run. I'm talking about his enemies launching a campaign to get him elected.

Their idea, of course, is that the PC would be too restrained by the Secret Service, and too busy dealing with administrative responsibilities over various crises (the economy, natural disasters, the Gulf oil spill, nuclear weapons in Iraq and North Korea, what have you) to go out and crush their plans.

Of course it hasn't occurred to the enemy that the PC would be able to bring the full force of the United States government against them. Or maybe it has, and the idea has been dismissed as a fair trade. Or maybe the enemy already has the full force of the United States government against them, and is standing up just fine. Or maybe the enemy has enough influence in the United States government (through bribery, placement of double-agents, and such) that it's just not a concern.

The development of the Presidential campaign could go any of several directions, and probably could go several at once. Some enemies, realizing the good part of the plan, might jump on board. Others would naturally oppose the idea, either in principle or because they realize what the PC could do from the Oval Office.

Some enemies might even decide that the PC really is the best choice for President, and go straight to serve as an example for the PC's good works.

And what about the heroes and other allies? The reactions from that side would be so variable that I won't even bother trying to enumerate the possibilities.

But there's one other twist. If the enemy is known as a corrupt individual or organization, then any revelation of his involvement in the PC's campaign could not only torpedo the election chances, but seriously tarnish the PC's reputation in general for years to come. And maybe that's the point of the enemy's whole project in the first place.

Re: GMs: for your Public Identity heroes

This is a neat idea, but unless the villains are just going for a rep smear, I think the hero has to have a genuine interest in running for office (or be mind-controlled). The villains might subtly suggest that the hero to consider it and then build grass-roots support to convince the hero he has a chance to seal the deal, but unless the hero wants to be elected he won't make it onto the ballot. (okay, I guess an imposter could set him up and he could be put on as an independent candidate and then major misfortune could befall his opponents and no one believes his repeated declarations he isn't running... this becomes increasingly complicated but still possible...)

Another way to get the hero into office would be some kind of constitutional crisis wherein he is essentially appointed the post (is that really possible? Read "Shelley's Heart" by Charles McCarry - it is excellent), but that would require a lot of subterfuge as well and misses the potential fun of an election campaign.

The villains might subtly suggest that the hero to consider it and then build grass-roots support to convince the hero he has a chance to seal the deal....
This is kind of what I had in mind -- though the rest of what you say is still good.
If you try this' date=' you also find a way to get him to nominate a VP candidate who's working for you. He's bound to get tired of the BS and quit, or die, or get zapped to another dimension for a few months or something, which means you just snuck your guy into the top spot. :)[/quote']This is quite clever! I hadn't considered it. I'd been trying to figure out a way to work in the VP slot, and this would do the trick. (Of course, the VP candidate would have to appear to be as above reproach as the PC.)

This is kind of what I had in mind -- though the rest of what you say is still good.This is quite clever! I hadn't considered it. I'd been trying to figure out a way to work in the VP slot' date=' and this would do the trick. (Of course, the VP candidate would have to appear to be as above reproach as the PC.)[/quote']

Two words, twice: Dan Quayle. Joe Biden.

Our entire hero group only has one with a public ID, and he is not native born. Foxbat has suggested the Constitution be changed just for him. Why? Because Foxbat is crackers, and would love to see a 748 year old mage from another dimension in charge. Olorin would not do it even if Constitutional unless it was the only hope for the US.

I don't think it was so much a grass-roots campaign as backroom power brokers in both political parties competing to see if he would run as their candidate.

Like the D's and R's with Eisenhower in the early 1950's? I could see it with some characters (Captain America, Superman*) but not others (Spider Man, Batman).

*not eligible, not born in the U.S. Or not natural born. Or did they retcon it again?