The Champions of Evil

OddHat

Well, as I actually use the Champions in my setting... first thing I do is change the names and costumes making these folks new characters.

Defender is replaced by Onslaught ... secret Identity, Arnold Harmon... cousin or brother to James. Arnold was hoping to use his computer skills to embezzle a few funds from his playboy relative, only to stumble on to the notes on the armor. He now believes James is finacing the Champions and that the Defender Armor was a prototype. He broke into a Harmon factory, reprogrammed a few machines, and managed to make his own version of the armor... and he intends to put it to good use. Onslaught would be motivated by mayhem, rebelling against his expected 'family legacy', and stomping Defender just for the hell of it.

Ditch Ironclad the Alien, and enter Steelskin, rough and tumble brick and legbreaker. He's in it for the cash he thinks this team can provide and the chance to be a bully. Straightforward kind of guy.

Nighthawk needs a new name (I'm thinking Shadow Wolf don't know why), but much could be the same. Why not have him be a guy who ended up in the middle of crime...then super heroes came to the 'rescue'. Their incompetence resulted in his face being burnt badly. Where as Nighthawk is obssessed with Justice, Shadow Wolf is obsessed with revenge on meddlers and heroes... any hero will do. He's become a master of transferance.

Ruby is our Sapphire twist. Once a rival for Cory, she faked a career for longer than Milli Vanilla. Then news of her lip synching and digital alteration to her music went public... and her career went down the tubes. Desperate for attention and limelight, she enviously noted that Sapphire was loved as both a hero AND a singer. She decided to get powers of her own, and struck a deal with ARGENT. ARGENT attempted to overlay Cory's mutant DNA strand on Ruby's... Ruby got very sick, but recovered-physically. Hey, she even has similar powers (only of a red hue). Her mind however, is gone. She's quite insane, violently so. Her narcisism borders on obsessive and anyone who does not 'love her' is seen as a threat to her.

Witchcraft is.. hmm could just use Talisman ;) But if you want to keep to the sheet... call her Witchfire, and make her the daughter of another member of the Scarlet Moon, this experiment worked.. sort of. Have Witchfire be daddy's doting diabolical daughter. Think Ming's not so little girl in "Flash Gordon" only with none of that annoying potential for redemption and lots more loyality. Change the transformation into a frog into something else. Maybe she turns her victims into Worms to cut up. Or Butterflies to pin and collect.

(Yeah, call her Witchfire, might as well use the name :) )

Originally posted by Hermit

Ruby is our Sapphire twist. Once a rival for Cory, she faked a career for longer than Milli Vanilla. Then news of her lip synching and digital alteration to her music went public... and her career went down the tubes. Desperate for attention and limelight, she enviously noted that Sapphire was loved as both a hero AND a singer. She decided to get powers of her own, and struck a deal with ARGENT. ARGENT attempted to overlay Cory's mutant DNA strand on Ruby's... Ruby got very sick, but recovered-physically. Hey, she even has similar powers (only of a red hue). Her mind however, is gone. She's quite insane, violently so. Her narcisism borders on obsessive and anyone who does not 'love her' is seen as a threat to her.

I was thinking about doing something similar in my next game, only I was going to have Teleios steal a sample of her DNA and create an evil clone named "Rubia". Great minds think alike. :)

Originally posted by Wormhole

I was thinking about doing something similar in my next game, only I was going to have Teleios steal a sample of her DNA and create an evil clone named "Rubia". Great minds think alike. :)

Actually, given Cory's public ID and relative fame, a physical clone like the one you suggest might be the better idea. More plot hooks as Sapphire must struggle to bring the 'fake' to justice AND save her own rep from her.

Actually, given Cory's public ID and relative fame, a physical clone like the one you suggest might be the better idea. More plot hooks as Sapphire must struggle to bring the 'fake' to justice AND save her own rep from her.

Thanks. :)

BTW, in my plot I also have Teleios modify Rubia's DNA to include a biochemical dependency on an esorteric substance (for which I'm still trying to come up wih a good name for) only he can supply her with (basically a 0 pt Dependence disad). That's how he keeps her under his control (more or less).

Right...when you have an evil twin, the twin is proportionally as evil as you are good. So someone very good has a very evil twin, someone who is on the fence has an on the fence twin. So if your average vigilante hero has a evil twin, the evil twin might even be less evil than the hero.

Originally posted by Lemur866

Right...when you have an evil twin, the twin is proportionally as evil as you are good. So someone very good has a very evil twin, someone who is on the fence has an on the fence twin.

So if Hermit has a twin, they're identical except that they like the Red Skull?

And what about triplets?

ok ok, i'm going to bed

Originally posted by lemming

So if Hermit has a twin, they're identical except that they like the Red Skull?

And what about triplets?

ok ok, i'm going to bed

Fortunately, your evil triplet ends up being killed by your son from an alternate, dark future. So it all ends up okay.

Originally posted by Lupus

Fortunately, your evil triplet ends up being killed by your son from an alternate, dark future. So it all ends up okay.

Oh no! :eek: It turns out that your son from an alternate, dark future WAS your evil triplet, lost in time to that alternate, dark future! By killing himself before that event, he causes another timesplit, where instead of an alternate, dark future, it becomes a dark, alternate future.

Originally posted by Supreme Serpent

Oh no! :eek: It turns out that your son from an alternate, dark future WAS your evil triplet, lost in time to that alternate, dark future! By killing himself before that event, he causes another timesplit, where instead of an alternate, dark future, it becomes a dark, alternate future.

But... but... can't I fix that by going back and killing my childhood friend Teddy?

Or was he an alien?

Originally posted by Lupus

But... but... can't I fix that by going back and killing my childhood friend Teddy?

Or was he an alien?

Well, yes, he was. But, as soon as you attempt to travel back for that purpose, your future self from a post-apocalyptic alternate future will sho up to stop you. See, by killing Teddy when he was young, you would start a series of events that would lead to the worst alternate future of them all. Your only hope is to travel back to just before you started time-travelling in the first place, and prevent yourself from changing any history at all. Of course, that in itself would change history, since you did travel back and..... my brain hurts, now.

*chuckle* Thanks

Cable, I'm afraid, came at the same time I gave up on X titles. He bored me to tears as a character, and frankly, wasn't half the man his father was (Then again, I'm a Cyclops fan).

Back on topic, sometimes past or future versions of ones self, or someone else using the same name in a different time period can make interesting evil 'clones' of PC heroes.

Originally posted by Supreme Serpent

To take this in a somewhat different direction, how many of you have used evil versions of the PC's in a supers game? One character or the whole group? How'd it work out?

Let's see, in 4th Edition, I lifted a suggestion from Malichite's treatment of Obsidian and had him clone a female Brick of a player. That worked okay.

I will probably do something similiar with Teleios.

Backworld (from Champions in 3d) worked wonders! I've used it more than once, and each time it ended up really riling the PCs (While still letting the players have fun), There is definitely an extra effort to beat out their evil selves. It worked well, and left many strings I can pick up later.

I am currently considering a "Rip Off" team, super heroes in it for the cash who have similar powers to the PCs, and are capitalizing in on their good will by duping them. Since the PCs aren't registered, they may have no legal recourse. Should be quite the blow out.

Backworld (from Champions in 3d) worked wonders! I've used it more than once, and each time it ended up really riling the PCs (While still letting the players have fun), There is definitely an extra effort to beat out their evil selves. It worked well, and left many strings I can pick up later.

I am currently considering a "Rip Off" team, super heroes in it for the cash who have similar powers to the PCs, and are capitalizing in on their good will by duping them. Since the PCs aren't registered, they may have no legal recourse. Should be quite the blow out.

Both sound like fun. I'm planning on bringing in an evil, alternate-verse version of my team. Emphasize the negative aspects of the characters' personalities, see how they react, maybe encourage some "character" growth in the characters.

*chuckle* Thanks

Cable, I'm afraid, came at the same time I gave up on X titles. He bored me to tears as a character, and frankly, wasn't half the man his father was (Then again, I'm a Cyclops fan).

Back on topic, sometimes past or future versions of ones self, or someone else using the same name in a different time period can make interesting evil 'clones' of PC heroes.

Ok, I am not an avid X-Men reader so I will probably sound ignorant but why do so many people on these boards hate Cable so much?

He has a tiny little head. Really, really tiny.

He has a great big gun.

He has a mysterious mutant power that turns out to be stupid.

He's from the future, just like every other lame X-Men character.

His eye glows for no adequately explained reason.

He's called Cable for no adequately explained reason.

He seems like a character a gamer made up trying for the cool and mysterious effect but getting the stupid and cliched effect instead. Because the gamer couldn't come up with a concept. Or a name. Or powers. Or much of a personality.