Bargain Basement Discount Villains

OddHat

Another thread mentioned a very, very lame change being made in an upcoming Super-Hero film to a character with a 60 year history. The change may be being made to save cash on special effects. It occurs to me that as GMs, we too must work within our special effects budget. ;)

So, some ideas for really cheap villains:

1) The Toupe! 60 Pre, 12d6 reputation as Earth's Deadliest Villain, bought through an iif: Toupe. He makes very convincing threats, then runs away in the confusion.

2) Doctor Meme: The heroes are encouraged to attribute everything, absolutely everything, to a villain that never actually shows up in the adventure.

3) Dark Bob: Use Firewing's sheet, but give all powers fully invisible effects including Hide Effects of Powers and No Knockback, and drop the flight. People die, buildings colapse, heroes suddenly fall over without ever knowing they were under attack. Close to 0 cost for sfx.

Others? :cool:

Originally posted by Broblawsky

Which thread is this?

Can't find the thread now. Do a GOOGLE search on the new Fantastic Four movie.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

The movie's version of the Human Torch may only be able to have his hands light up. No flying, no body of fire, just his hands and arms. Artistic cllaims aside, it's (imo) probably because it would be much cheaper to film that way.

So, I figured a thread on low-budget super villains was called for...

I suspect they are exaggerating. I think they intend to do the said special effect at parts of the film, other times do the full effect. It would make sense, otherwise you'd have to make one actor almost all CGI.

As for bargain villains for movies, the most obvious ones are the cheapest effects:

Flash... think about it: He moves so fast that you can't see him. (zip - "There. I ran around the world." zip - zip. "there I did it two more times!)

Invisible Man... old school. People pretending to be hit and falling down.

Any kind of Psychic character... "Ouch, Ouch, you're hurting my head!"

Originally posted by OddHat

The movie's version of the Human Torch may only be able to have his hands light up. No flying, no body of fire, just his hands and arms. Artistic cllaims aside, it's (imo) probably because it would be much cheaper to film that way.

Seems odd, considering that the ubercheap never-released Fantastic Four movie Roger Corman produced could scrape together enough money to do at least one fully-flaming Human Torch scene.

Okay, it's not like it was particularly good, but there it is. I think they spent most of the budget on the Thing costume.

Originally posted by Brandi

Seems odd, considering that the ubercheap never-released Fantastic Four movie Roger Corman produced could scrape together enough money to do at least one fully-flaming Human Torch scene.

Okay, it's not like it was particularly good, but there it is. I think they spent most of the budget on the Thing costume.

Wow, thats beyond lame.

erm...yeah, exactly...

Originally posted by Brandi

I was hoping someone would bring that up, Brandi- I happened to see the Thing suit up close at the Los Angeles BiMonSciFiCon and I'm 5'8" and I could look it in the eye...

As far as special fx and superheroes go, the cost can't be THAT high in todays era of digital graphics on the cheap. Heck, that Mutant X show has to cost, what, a buck and a quarter an episode? C'Mon!!

+++++

Kikaida

"Double Chop! Giant Swing Throw! THE END!"

Dr. Denter- He never could afford to make a whole set of powered armor, so instead settled for a helmet. It has a blast that works okay, but VERY Well against metals. He doesn't want to conquer the world, he just wants "A little freakin' respect!"

Phus, Steward of Anxiety- When his master, Phobos (lord of Fear) fell, it was up to his brave valet to carry on. Sadly, Phus' own abilities are new to him, and his magics only make people nervous rather than truly terrorfied.

"Do you feel that cold shiver up your spine heroes? No? Hmm, how about the jangling of your nerves? A HA! I see an eye twitch!"

Arub Thone- From Malva hails Firewing's brother is a slacker and nay o tay too bright, but he does love spectating. Arub came here hoping to see some of the "Kik azz fites" his brother told him about. Much to his annoyance, too often the games are 'blow outs' or no fun to watch. The soap operic social interactions supers often get into ticks him off as boring. Arub doesn't have powers, but isn't above using some of his Malvan tech to intrude on fights and make them more interesting.

"Dood! Kik his azz already! What's with the frickin speach?? Ah, hell wit it. Let's see wot a shot of my enrager ray can do 2 liven tings up!"

Originally posted by Hermit

Dr. Denter- He never could afford to make a whole set of powered armor, so instead settled for a helmet. It has a blast that works okay, but VERY Well against metals. He doesn't want to conquer the world, he just wants "A little freakin' respect!"

Phus, Steward of Anxiety- When his master, Phobos (lord of Fear) fell, it was up to his brave valet to carry on. Sadly, Phus' own abilities are new to him, and his magics only make people nervous rather than truly terrorfied.

"Do you feel that cold shiver up your spine heroes? No? Hmm, how about the jangling of your nerves? A HA! I see an eye twitch!"

Arub Thone- From Malva hails Firewing's brother is a slacker and nay o tay too bright, but he does love spectating. Arub came here hoping to see some of the "Kik azz fites" his brother told him about. Much to his annoyance, too often the games are 'blow outs' or no fun to watch. The soap operic social interactions supers often get into ticks him off as boring. Arub doesn't have powers, but isn't above using some of his Malvan tech to intrude on fights and make them more interesting.

"Dood! Kik his azz already! What's with the frickin speach?? Ah, hell wit it. Let's see wot a shot of my enrager ray can do 2 liven tings up!"

Heck, I'm going to use all three of them! :)

"What are you laughing at! Could you build a power helmet! I don't see you out there taking on frickin' mutants and spacemen with nothing but your own brilliant mind and your power helmet! Respect my authoritah!"

I really think it would only cost 4 or 5 dollars to add a CGI flame over a character's whole body rather than his hands. The idea that they made this change (if they did) to save money doesn't hold up. Flaming people are old hat in Hollywood, even the cheapest of 1950s B movies could afford a stuntman in an asbestos suit doused with gasoline. And using CGI flames instead would be even cheaper. Saving money isn't the issue.

Real villain I've used, Thug who often fights chanting self help mantras.

"I am a whole person, I am one with myself. I can and will succeed."

This is especially fun if you decide to give the guy powers like KB resistance, or mental defense with an Incantations throughout limitation ;)

Originally posted by Hermit

Real villain I've used, Thug who often fights chanting self help mantras.

"I am a whole person, I am one with myself. I can and will succeed."

This is especially fun if you decide to give the guy powers like KB resistance, or mental defense with an Incantations throughout limitation ;)

Ive done similar things for religious characters.

And of course there was always Korthain, the mongloid dwarf with Damage Reduction 50% who would chant "So Tough, So Tough...OW! That hurt a little....but Im So Tough, SO TOUGH!!!!!" while getting beat on.....