How would you build a cheap detect supernatural or detect magic?

Arrgg

Re: How would you build a cheap detect supernatural or detect magic?

Detect magic isn't expensive. You can plug in "Detect Supernatural" and have it cost the same. It kind of makes sense for a pulp character needing to spend end to do his detects as they are unnatural things to be changing your perceptions to. Also it takes some amount of will power to change your perception to the magical/supernatural.

4pts Detect Magic: Detect Magic A Large Class Of Things 13- (Sight Group), Discriminatory (17 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense [very common Sense] (Sight and Unusual; -1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2)

You might even simulate this with a Knowledge Skill. The signs are visible to everyone' date=' but the character knows how to interpret them.[/quote']

Maybe, but then you probably SHOULD give that raw evidence to other people. At LEAST something to the effect of, "There's something odd about the sword. It shines very brightly in the light of the full moon." Of course, rather than being magical it could just be that the sword is made of polished steel with decorative silver in the hilt, instead of being simple iron.... (EDIT: Example more appropriate to a low-technology fantasy campaign, but I think you'll get the point.)

Detect magic isn't expensive. You can plug in "Detect Supernatural" and have it cost the same. It kind of makes sense for a pulp character needing to spend end to do his detects as they are unnatural things to be changing your perceptions to. Also it takes some amount of will power to change your perception to the magical/supernatural.

4pts Detect Magic: Detect Magic A Large Class Of Things 13- (Sight Group), Discriminatory (17 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense [very common Sense] (Sight and Unusual; -1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2)

I brought this up to my GM and he is cool with this build but told me it has no range. I would have to be I guess face to face with what ever I am trying to detect. I guess thats where the cost rises.

I brought this up to my GM and he is cool with this build but told me it has no range. I would have to be I guess face to face with what ever I am trying to detect. I guess thats where the cost rises.
If its sight based, then it applies to anything you can see (and thus ranged), and suffer any penalties applied to seeing things (like not work in Darkness, penalties for seeing at night, range penalties, etc)

If its sight based' date=' then it applies to anything you can see (and thus ranged), and suffer any penalties applied to seeing things (like not work in Darkness, penalties for seeing at night, range penalties, etc)[/quote']

It also comes down to how you want to play it. If you want to be strictly sight based then it is cheaper, but then you will have to be looking at it....looking directly at it. If you want a sense that encompases a radius around you that anything coming within that space triggers regardless of walls, lighting, etc....it will cost.

It also comes down to how you want to play it. If you want to be strictly sight based then it is cheaper' date=' but then you will have to be looking at it....looking directly at it. If you want a sense that encompases a radius around you that anything coming within that space triggers regardless of walls, lighting, etc....it will cost.[/quote']

Would it be cheaper if instead of a radius around me, maybe a 45 to 90 degree arc facing front and I would actually have to ....errr scan around me by moving around?

I probably need to free up some points to buy the power, per your approval and build. What if its built using say 5 or 6 charges per day? (Grasping at virtual straws) :idjit:

Would it be cheaper if instead of a radius around me, maybe a 45 to 90 degree arc facing front and I would actually have to ....errr scan around me by moving around?

I probably need to free up some points to buy the power, per your approval and build. What if its built using say 5 or 6 charges per day? (Grasping at virtual straws) :idjit:

4 Detect Magic: Detect Magic A Large Class Of Things 13- (Unusual Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (240 Degrees) (14 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2)

Ok now it works more like Spacial Awareness, it has a 240deg arc of perception. It's not a full sense, It needs to turned on. You will have a hard time getting this for much cheaper, you would need another -3/4 in limitations to get the power down to 3 points. Heck, if this is that much of a character schtick, I would be looking at things like lowering my Stun, ED, or any primary stat that wasn't bought ending with a 3 or an 8.

PS I have been writing up these powers with a wonderful little program called Hero Designer. It's available on the Hero Games online store. If you play a Hero Game, you should own this program!

The large amount of Extra Time will be significant with the limited arc though - something could definitely stay in your blind spot, if it knew about it. If that's desirable, then fine. If not, then reduce the Extra Time to "Full Delayed Phase" (-3/4, IIRC), and pick up another limitation (maybe it's tiring; x2 END? Or less than perfectly reliable; RAR 14-?).

The large amount of Extra Time will be significant with the limited arc though - something could definitely stay in your blind spot' date=' if it knew about it. If that's desirable, then fine. If not, then reduce the Extra Time to "Full Delayed Phase" (-3/4, IIRC), and pick up another limitation (maybe it's tiring; x2 END? Or less than perfectly reliable; RAR 14-?).[/quote']

Or "Man this gives me a head ache!" SE: NND or Drain Stun.... ;)

Or "Man this gives me a head ache!" SE: NND or Drain Stun.... ;)

Defense doesn't apply to Side Effects (or did that change in 6E?) so NND doesn't really do anything but make it look like a worse SE than it really is...