Is 6th Edtion worth the money?

quozaxx

Re: Is 6th Edtion worth the money?

Nor was 4th Edition' date=' nor probably any edition before it. :P But new editions do offer their own enhancements.[/quote']

So while our group stuck with 5th, the GM is likely to be fine with swiping anything out of 6th that looks useful. After all, we're still using at least one holdover from 4th: adders to increase the maximum effect of Healing.

Let's not just look at the 6th edition rules in and of themselves, but also in relation to the wider world.

August 2009 - 6th Edition is released at Gencon

September 2009 - The world economy begins to collapse.

A lot of weak-kneed naysayers are going to tell you that Correlation is not Causation but I'd just like to point out that when figured characteristics were introduced during the Regan Administration we saw the beginning of an unparalleled rise in wealth across the world. Not 30 days after 6th edition broke everything a generation had worked for was lost.

I've wanted to ask this question ever since 5th edition made some major changes and became 6th edition.

Is buying 6th Edition worth the money?

I do realize that there are a lot of Powers/skills/talents/etc that haven't changed at all.

But I also realize that all the new books and any books to come out in the future will be based on the new 6th Editions.

So this is an opinion. Please let me know if you actually HAVE 6th edition, or if it is just a casual opinion. I have the 6th edition and have played both 5th and 6th edition games now, but wanted to see what other people think.

I have purchased it...for me it is not worth even 1/2 of what I paid.........YMMV....

Nor was 4th Edition' date=' nor probably any edition before it. :P But new editions do offer their own enhancements.[/quote']

Dunno if I would say that for 2nd and 3rd editions. EC's were really borked and were a source of very bad munchkinisms. Also End Reserves were also broken. 4th edition was a welcome relief from many issues in the previous versions

5th edition gave us a one stop shop for weird rules questions and had better examples. 5er was more of what 5e gave us (which upped page count by a bunch).

I've yet to play in a 6th Edition game, but I regard the 6th edition rule books as more than worth the purchase price in terms of entertainment value from solitary reading alone. $50 would have gotten me into six movies at evening 2-D prices, and I can assure you I've spent more than 12 hours reading through them.

Personally, I'd get the core books and the Martial Arts Book. The advanced player guide is useful but not really necessary. These 3 books should allow you to create characters compatible for most campaigns or set up most campaigns.

As far as the rules, I am growing to accept some of the rule changes and deletions. Bricks are more expensive than 5ER and earlier editions, but they were fairly cheap to begin with. At first I was irked about losing Find Weakness, but I can see how it works from a game balance perspective. Losing EC was tough as a GM, but as a player, only two maybe three powers were ever in it on my characters. Not enough to gripe about.

On the bad side, I still don't like Damage Negation. I understand why its there and why they think its worth 5 points per die, but I think its too easily abused (to me its worth 9 active points with a -1 limitation). The cost for growth is too high in my opinion for all its limitations despite all the advantages it gives you. In contrast, density increase is cheaper by far. While I like the general growth stages, the point costs to make Gi-Ant Man is difficult. I still dislike the flying dodge as a dive for cover maneuver, and I know a couple people that dislike passing strike/charge vs move-bys/move-throughs.

All in all, I would buy it. I resisted buying 5th for a long time, but found as time went on, games moved to 6th editions at cons and at home. Resisting buying 5th, generally, made life harder on myself. I couldn't get rules clarifications from Steve online, I kept twiddling with Hero Designer, etc.