SPEED Beyond 12

Midhir

Instead of just having each extra point of SPEED beyond 12 be a buffer against DRAINS why not have it allow a character to change a FULL Phase action into a half phase and/or a HALF Phase action into a 0 Phase action on a number of phases (of their choosing in different segments) equal to each point over 12?

Example: Zippy the speedster has a SPEED of 14 so he acts every segment and can also adjust two of his actions on separate segments to only take half the amount of time (SPEED 14 - 12 = 2).

This may have been mentioned some where else, so if so excuse me for bringing up old topics. I just thought of it and wanted to put it out there.

Sound viable?

Re: SPEED Beyond 12

I don't have the time right now to fully analyze it (and others would probably do a better job of it anyway), but at first blush it looks workable.

This technically only gives the character an extra half phase worth of action per extra SPD pip, but the flexibility of where that extra half phase comes into play makes up for that.

It has also been suggested in other threads that extra phases could be used for abort actions rather than aborting your next action you may use one of your extra phases. So if you have 14 phases you could essentially dodge twice for free. I have never played with such a house rule, but it might make taking speed above 12 worth the points. If you try this house rule or some variation be sure to let us know.

Can't remember what's listed in the APG, but we used to allow it. (I think three PCs had it out of several hundred across about 30 players all together).

You got an extra phase on the (SPD-12) segments at 1/2 your dex. (If you were over 24 speed, 1/3 dex, but I think that was two villains)

If you attacked on a segment where you were getting a second action, you couldn't abort before it.

I run a Dragonball campaign' date=' so this thread interests me. I kinda like lemming's suggestion (particularly the 1/2 Dex part - I never thought of that before)[/quote']

I'm just picturing a Dragonball campaign where everyone has like 20+ Speed, but it still takes over 2 turns to power up some of the bigger attacks...:doi:

I'm just picturing a Dragonball campaign where everyone has like 20+ Speed' date=' but it still takes over 2 turns to power up some of the bigger attacks...:doi:[/quote']

We're not quite there yet, but I won't be surprised if some PC's could attain ~20 SPD towards the end. Highest speeds right now are at 8. That said, we simulate power ups as based on the comic rather than the cartoon, where it takes only a panel or two rather than an episode or two. ;)

I think the "Instant Fuzion" based DBZ game allowed characters to spend Ki to ramp their number of actions per phase as high as 12, in a 4 phase, 12 second turn. That equates to a 48 Speed!

I'd also note that Hero Designer can accomodate DEX scores as high as 998, and SPD as high as 99, though of course it won't tell you when you get all those extra phases. :P

IIRC it did. But uh' date=' the Instant Fuzion DBZ game, well, sucked.[/quote']

Well, it was thrown together pretty haphazardly for such a major license. I've seen the rule modifications put forth by Christian Conkle, including his unreleased work, complete with serial numbers filed off(so to speak), and it does improve upon things a bit.

Well' date=' it was thrown together pretty haphazardly for such a major license. I've seen the rule modifications put forth by Christian Conkle, including his unreleased work, complete with serial numbers filed off(so to speak), and it does improve upon things a bit.[/quote']

Really? Care to PM them to me or something?

I allow characters with Speed 13-24 an action in each Segment, plus an extra action every Segment that a character with 12 less Speed would get, and similarly for characters with 25+ Speed. In fact, (internaly) I split each Segment into multiple parts based on the highest Speed of all the characters. So if I have a character with Speed 15, I use Segments 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, ..., 12A, 12B; characters with 12 or less Speed treat each A+B as if it were a single Segment (can't abort in B if they acted in A, etc.), whereas characters with over 12 Speed treat them as distinct Segments. For example, a character with speed 14 would get Phases in 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, 6A, 6B, 7A, 8A, 9A, 10A, 11A, 12A, and 12B.

Wow I can't imagine anyone ever needing a 12 SPD, let alone going beyond that. I mean if you're creating your own world, Like Dragonball, why not say that the average "Dragonballer" has a 4 SPD? Someone twice as fast as the Average Mega-Super martial artist? Give them an 8 SPD.

Wow I can't imagine anyone ever needing a 12 SPD' date=' let alone going beyond that. I mean if you're creating your own world, Like Dragonball, why not say that the average "Dragonballer" has a 4 SPD? Someone twice as fast as the Average Mega-Super martial artist? Give them an 8 SPD.[/quote']Overachievers are never satisfied.

Eh. It doesn't come up often. But why limit yourself?
"I can take 15 actions in a second!" easily becomes "what's the point?" Or as Harry Callahan would say "a man has got to know his limitations."

I like the idea of fraction of your dex' date=' my method has always been to let everyone go with there first action (In dex order) then allow those with a second action for the phase go again (again in dex order)[/quote']

Probably the logical approach. If you want SPD to go to 24, make the SPD chart go to 24. The "second action in a phase" then simply becomes the new odd numbers, which are organized like the 12 SPD speed chart. 14 SPD? You move on each even-numbered phase (which is SPD 12) and on 11 and 23 (6x2 = 12 - 1 =11; 12x2 = 24 - 1 = 23).

The only difference is that those extra actions come before their affiliated phase, rather than afterwards, to maintain Seg 1 as the exclusive province of someone with the highest level of SPD.

Personally, I've never been in a game that needed to go beyond the normal SPD chart, and only very rarely seen a character above a 7 SPD.

I'm just picturing a Dragonball campaign where everyone has like 20+ Speed' date=' but it still takes over 2 turns to power up some of the bigger attacks...:doi:[/quote']

Not to get drastically off topic but it just occurred to me that the power up part of the power always seems to act like a presence attack in the cartoon. Maybe it must be a linked power of some sort...

In a decade and a half of playing I havehad 2 NPC's (Both Master villains, one with a speedster F/x, the other a time manipulation F/X) and one speedster PC (Character did not work as well as I hoped, he only had 15" of running, ran out of END, and could not hurt anyone)