Circle of Protection ("Realistic")

Kraven Kor

So, playing a pulp-ish campaign and one of the players (whose character I helped / am helping build) is playing a somewhat "realistic" gypsy mystic. Fortune telling, luck charms, etc.

One of the powers she wants is a "Circle of Salt" - a Circle of Protection. It would need to both repel supernatural creatures (PRE attack?), and prevent their supernatural powers from affecting anyone in the circle.

Thoughts?

I had originally thought PRE attack on a trigger... but that seems inadequate for some reason.

Re: Circle of Protection ("Realistic")

How about something like this?

For the Repel aspect: Teleportation, Usable against others, triggered when supernatural creature enters proximity, and enough AoE/Mega-scale to fit the area you want. It only needs to be a few inches so it wouldnt be to expensive. At least, without actually doing the math i wouldnt know.

For the Deffence: Some power deffence and mentle deffence bought through a focus, (the regents for charm) enough AoE/Megascale to fit the area you want, only works against supernatural attacks, usable by others, and if your feeling frisky maby abalative deffences.

Yea, Nae?

Does the salt circle totally prevent the supernatural from breaching the circle? Does it make them not want to? Does it make it hurt them to try? Does it make it difficult for supernatural attacks to be accurate? Does it hide them from supernatural senses?

If this is a heroic level game, I think you are going about this in the wrong fashion. In a heroic level game, the easiest way to simulate this is to put a physical limitation on the monster, subject to "rules of magic". In this aspect, anyone who puts down a circle of salt may be protected from the monster.

If this is a superhero game, I've found what simulates best is a AVAD Xd6 suppress of outside magical forces. Magical creatures attempting to enter the area would have their BODY drained, effectively discouraging entry. Spells and abilities attempting to enter the area would likewise be suppressed.

Barrier for the circle itself, Invisible Power Effects. For the repelling supernatural creatures part, combine it with an attack, AoE Surface/Damage Shield, the same size as the Barrier, built to only do knockback, with levels of extra knockback, only vs. supernatural creatures (alternately, a Telekinesis built to do the same thing).

If this is a heroic level game' date=' I think you are going about this in the wrong fashion. In a heroic level game, the easiest way to simulate this is to put a physical limitation on the monster, subject to "rules of magic". In this aspect, anyone who puts down a circle of salt may be protected from the monster.[/quote']

This is my approach as well. One thing that should be noted is, from everything I've read, the creator of the circle does not necessarily need any magic skill. To simulate this without a great deal of powers building I use the following:

Magic Circles

i. After considering many options for a Magic Circle as described by the author, I decided the easiest and cheapest way to simulate this power would be to place a limitation on ALL magic: Cannot Penetrate A Magic Circle (-1/2). I don’t see it as any more than a -1/2 as it is not going to be a commonly used ‘defense’.

ii. As for beings of the NeverNever and Underworld not being able to pass a circle, I have chosen to place the following on ALL magical creatures: Physical Limitation: Restricted By Magic Circles, if a Circle is in place the creature cannot affect anyone on the opposite side of the Circle unless it makes a skill vs. skill EGO roll at -5 against the caster (Infrequently, Fully Impairing). The EGO roll test gives a Summoned creature a small chance of escaping and eating its summoner. This design allows such magically inept people as Waldo Butters to establish a magic circle with minimal instruction and no magic whatsoever.

iii. Magic circles have no affect on mortals, in fact the power of the circle is broken if the circle is crossed in any way by a mortal. This includes throwing something mundane through the circle as well as actually stepping across the circle wall.

NOTE: This is taken from my Dresdenverse campaign 'house rules' that can be found here:

http://dresdenverse.the-wild-hunt.org/dresdenverse_outline.html

Does the salt circle totally prevent the supernatural from breaching the circle? Does it make them not want to? Does it make it hurt them to try? Does it make it difficult for supernatural attacks to be accurate? Does it hide them from supernatural senses?

I would think that, in HERO terms, it becomes something the being must overcome with an EGO roll or something. It repels them, like the old lore about Vampires not being able to enter a home uninvited. The supernatural being would be compelled to not enter, and any ranged abilities they had would be reduced or negated.

You could take a page from M:tG's own Circles of Protection and call it a Shield Wall with a linked Desolid, Only Vs Supernatural Critters. Then scale the barrier strength up and down based on the strength of user, purity of substances used, etc.

If you want to go to the extreme end, set it up as a Extra-Dimensional Movement Gate that doesn't work for supernatural creatures (probably -0 or at the most -1/4 unless it's likely to be a frequent case that you won't be able to protect a friendly supernatural). For the most part I agree that Physical Complications can do just fine for this in most settings though.