Solar Hero timeline

Ranxerox

I'm working on putting together a Solar Hero campaign, and am asking for help dating stuff for my timeline. So all best guesses for anything on my list or stuff that should be on my list will be much appreciated.

Space Exploration

• Man returns to moon
  • Establishes lunar outpost
  • Lunar colony

• 1st man on Mars
  • Martian outpost
  • Martian colony

• Manned expedition to moons of Jupiter
  • Colony in asteroid belt
  • Affordable commercial travel into outer space

Medicine

• 1st human clone
  • 1st genetically engineered designer baby
  • 1st designer baby utilizing genes not native to the human specie
  • 1st fully biologically functional female to male sex change
  • male to female sex change
  • AIDS cure
  • Prosthetics superior to organ/limb that it replaces
  • Organ cloning

General Technology

• Introduction of affordable flying cars
  • Neural interface computer
  • Realistic holograms
  • True AI
  • Sustained fusion
  • Carbon nanotubes become common in construction

Politics

• Peace in the middle east
  • Peace in Sub-Saharan Africa

Thanks in advance for all guesses. I'm following the CU's Solar Hero time frame of 2080 to 2200, so if you don't think something is going to happen in the next 200 years just say beyond 2200.

Re: Solar Hero timeline

Space Exploration

• Man returns to moon - 2020 (Last I heard, this was the plan)
  • Establishes lunar outpost - 2050
  • Lunar colony - 2100

• 1st man on Mars - 2101
  • Martian outpost - 2120
  • Martian colony - 2190

• Manned expedition to moons of Jupiter - >2200
  • Colony in asteroid belt - >2200
  • Affordable commercial travel into outer space - 2110

A few thoughts:

Medicine:

(I assume the sex changes you're referring to in your list refer to having full fertility?)

General Technology

• 1st fully-functional android (bipedal, self-contained with enough power for a full day)
  • 1st man-portable energy weapon
  • Evacuated Tube Transport system

My own estimation for flying cars would be around 2025; for true AI, around 2030.

Space Exploration

• Lunar colony - 2100

• 1st man on Mars - 2101
  • Martian outpost - 2120
  • Martian colony - 2190

I would have a certain amount of parrelellism like having 1st man on mars being about the same time as lunar outpost

Politics

Peace in the middle east - 2200's -> Major factor here will be the breaking of Saudi Arabia as a political and religious power and the modernization of the region in philosophical terms. Much of the rest of the Islamic world has moved on from the 1400's, Saudi Arabia hasn't. And they export their ultraconservative and pre-medieval brand of Islam under the guise of Islamic Outreach programs.

Peace in Sub-Saharan Africa - 2300's

General Technology

Introduction of affordable flying cars - 2011 - $194,000 flying car - Moller Skycar

Two things:

1: establishment of "Cycler Ships" between the orbit of Earth and Mars to facilitate transport of personnel and goods (probably around the same time as the establishment of the Martian Colony).

2: Establishment of some kind of extra-earth police force to maintain order in the colonies (probably occur pretty much as soon as population in any one colony gets large enough to experience crime and public disorder).

Space Exploration

• Lunar colony - 2100

• 1st man on Mars - 2101
  • Martian outpost - 2120
  • Martian colony - 2190

I would have a certain amount of parrelellism like having 1st man on mars being about the same time as lunar outpost

Thank you for your replies. Rep forthcoming where I am able.

Since Solar Hero is defined by space exploration, I think that I will take dmjalund's advice and make the first man on Mars about the same time as the lunar outpost, and move up the other dates correspondingly. This way I exploration of the solar system can be largely out of the way by invention of the first FTL drive in 2200.

A few thoughts:

Medicine:

(I assume the sex changes you're referring to in your list refer to having full fertility?)

General Technology

• 1st fully-functional android (bipedal, self-contained with enough power for a full day)
  • 1st man-portable energy weapon
  • Evacuated Tube Transport system

My own estimation for flying cars would be around 2025; for true AI, around 2030.

Yes I was referring to full fertility sex changes.

True AI around 2030? That soon? That doesn't give me much time to get my Skynet contingency plans in order. I had better get cracking.

Politics

Peace in the middle east - 2200's -> Major factor here will be the breaking of Saudi Arabia as a political and religious power and the modernization of the region in philosophical terms. Much of the rest of the Islamic world has moved on from the 1400's, Saudi Arabia hasn't. And they export their ultraconservative and pre-medieval brand of Islam under the guise of Islamic Outreach programs.

Peace in Sub-Saharan Africa - 2300's

General Technology

Introduction of affordable flying cars - 2011 - $194,000 flying car - Moller Skycar

I agree that peace in the middle east is probably dependent on the modernizing of Islam. Peace in Sub-Saharan Africa probably rest on the economic prosperity coming to the continent.

If $194k is affordable to you, good on ya mate. For me it is still somewhat on the pricey side.

this happens when a cheap and just about equal in power ,fuel replaces oil

middle east gets ignored and walled off

Originally posted by Bob Greenwade:

Politics

. Peace in the middle east

. Peace in Sub-Saharan Africa

Man... you are an optimist, aren't you?

Major Tom 2009 :nonp:

Consider that $194k is a whole lot more affordable than "Not available at any price." Plus, the scale of production is definitely keeping the cost up and, to be honest, most people can't afford to get the training to fly the thing anyway. So yeah.. it was always going to be a rich person's toy.

Space Exploration

• Man returns to moon: 2080
  • Establishes lunar outpost: 2100
  • Lunar colony: 2150

• 1st man on Mars: 2100
  • Martian outpost: after 2200
  • Martian colony: after 2200

• Manned expedition to moons of Jupiter: after 2200
  • Colony in asteroid belt: 2175
  • Affordable commercial travel into outer space: if you mean cislunar space, 2100. If you mean translunar space, 2150.

Medicine

• 1st human clone: 2030, but the clone isn't viable; it is, however, harvestable for organ replacement
  • 1st genetically engineered designer baby: 2075
  • 1st designer baby utilizing genes not native to the human specie: 2075
  • 1st fully biologically functional female to male sex change: 2125
  • male to female sex change: after 2200
  • AIDS cure: never, but undiminished lifetime with therapy by 2060, and effective vaccination by 2075
  • Prosthetics superior to organ/limb that it replaces: 2050
  • Organ cloning: 2030 (see above)

General Technology

• Introduction of affordable flying cars: Never; the public safety ramifications are too severe.
  • Neural interface computer: 2050
  • Realistic holograms: 2040
  • True AI: 2070
  • Sustained fusion: 2100
  • Carbon nanotubes become common in construction: For devices smaller than 1mm: 2025. For macroscopic structures: 2065.

Politics

• Peace in the middle east: never in a million years
  • Peace in Sub-Saharan Africa: after 2200

Consider that $194k is a whole lot more affordable than "Not available at any price." Plus' date=' the scale of production is definitely keeping the cost up and, to be honest, most people can't afford to get the training to fly the thing anyway. So yeah.. it was always going to be a rich person's toy.[/quote']

Well that is the thing. Even with training most people would be unfit to fly the thing. It is clear just driving down the highway that most of people one shares the road would be dangerous piloting a flying vehicle. That is why any mass produced flying car will need to basically fly itself and give it's "driver" just enough control to have the illusion of being in charge. I don't consider such a design to be impossible just very, very difficult. However, given that we are talking about a 190 year time frame it seemed reasonable to me that we might eventually get there.

Two things:

1: establishment of "Cycler Ships" between the orbit of Earth and Mars to facilitate transport of personnel and goods (probably around the same time as the establishment of the Martian Colony).

2: Establishment of some kind of extra-earth police force to maintain order in the colonies (probably occur pretty much as soon as population in any one colony gets large enough to experience crime and public disorder).

Thank you for these suggestions. I will certainly include them in my campaign.

Well that is the thing. Even with training most people would be unfit to fly the thing. It is clear just driving down the highway that most of people one shares the road would be dangerous piloting a flying vehicle. That is why any mass produced flying car will need to basically fly itself and give it's "driver" just enough control to have the illusion of being in charge. I don't consider such a design to be impossible just very' date=' very difficult. However, given that we are talking about a 190 year time frame it seemed reasonable to me that we might eventually get there.[/quote']I will bet you that the system will be in place within the next 30 years

Well that is the thing. Even with training most people would be unfit to fly the thing. It is clear just driving down the highway that most of people one shares the road would be dangerous piloting a flying vehicle. That is why any mass produced flying car will need to basically fly itself and give it's "driver" just enough control to have the illusion of being in charge. I don't consider such a design to be impossible just very' date=' very difficult. However, given that we are talking about a 190 year time frame it seemed reasonable to me that we might eventually get there.[/quote']

Yeah. And self-driving ground cars are probably a lot closer than the flying variety. We already have some examples of experimenting (I believe a short section of freeway near M.I.T. was setup for autopilot--or autodrive I suppose--a while back), collision prevention (radar warning systems and such), and smart cruise control (I read an article a couple years ago about one that maintains safe stopping distance and minimizes speed changes for efficiency and in the hopes of smoothing traffic slowdowns). GPS will be a huge aid as well. We're really not that far off from 2D self-driving vehicles.

So when do you think that there will be viable human clones that aren't simply for organ harvesting?

After 2200. That's more an issue about psychogenesis (personality installation) than creation of an intact human body, IMO.

Consider that $194k is a whole lot more affordable than "Not available at any price." Plus' date=' the scale of production is definitely keeping the cost up and, to be honest, most people can't afford to get the training to fly the thing anyway. So yeah.. it was always going to be a rich person's toy.[/quote']

Assuming the aircar is faster and quieter than a helicopter, it may find its niche as an aerial limo and/or ambulance.

So when do you think that there will be viable human clones that aren't simply for organ harvesting?
After 2200. That's more an issue about psychogenesis (personality installation) than creation of an intact human body' date=' IMO.[/quote']I think you are talking about 'clones' like in Paranoia which are effectively 'reboots'. But to use as instant descendants, probably not long after 2030 (maybe 2040, 2050)