Fantasy locations that should be real

Old Man

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Fantasy locations that should be real

The Worldsphere of The People from Ben Aaronovitch's The Also People. Dyson Sphere with technology that would make the Daleks wet themselves in terror, and the various organic, drone, and Ship intelligences spend most of their time happily pursuing hobbies such as baking or cloning leather jackets from their mother's skin. Body-modification includes transferring your brain into a fish, if you feel like it, so you can migrate around the Endless Ocean for a change of pace.

I wouldn't mind a visit to the Well World...even if it is a one-way-trip. Are you brave enough to go through the Well of Souls?

(from the books of Phillip Jose Farmer)

I started out replying to this by being a little rude. What I meant to say is that Midnight at the Well of Souls introduced a great concept that demanded revisiting without really giving us anything that could be revisited. So when Chalker heard the siren sound of money, he substituted TMI for plot points, strung it out for eight!? books, and decided that the results were so much fun that he'd do it again, and again, and again. It's a sad story, but one that just keeps repeating itself. You have a great setting, and you reach for Deep Significance as you keep on piling up revelations... And then you either get to God or the Big Bang, and it all deflates.

Farmer had River World and the World of Tiers. I am not familiar with either except the general idea.

One was where all the dead went and a modern character decided to sail down the river to the source to try and figure out what was going on.

The other was a guy trapped in a set of interlocking worlds trying to get out.

CES