Which older modules should I get next?

Dr. MID-Nite

Looking to buy some more Hero stuff for X-mas...but need opinions. Here's some of the items I'm considering....

The Mutant File(4th)

Enemies Assemble(4th)

Champions of the North(4th)

Champions Powers(6th)

Almanac 1 and 2(4th)

Allies(4th)

VIPER(4th)

Urban Fantasy Hero(5th)

Champions Presents #2(4th)

I run a superheroic campaign...so looking for stuff that might be applicable to that. I don't have much info on any of the above books beyond the titles.

Re: Which older modules should I get next?

Almanac 1 and 2(4th)good backgrounds on poisons,poisons & diseases ,US military,UNTIL,nukes,enviroments,security systems to defeat

A lot of this stuff made it into 5th and 6th editions but I feel the discriptions are better

Urban Fantasy Hero(5th)can ad to just about and modern style game from agent level to supers

The UNTIL material in HSA was updated for 5e in UNTIL: Defenders of Freedom. If you can find a copy, Classic Organizations (for 4e) had writeups for Sanctuary (exclusive resort for metahumans), Red Doom (just-post-Soviet-era heroes and villains from behind the Iron Curtain), PRIMUS, DEMON, and CLOWN.

Looking to buy some more Hero stuff for X-mas...but need opinions. Here's some of the items I'm considering....

The Mutant File(4th)

Enemies Assemble(4th)

Champions of the North(4th)

Champions Powers(6th)

Almanac 1 and 2(4th)

Allies(4th)

VIPER(4th)

Urban Fantasy Hero(5th)

Champions Presents #2(4th)

I run a superheroic campaign...so looking for stuff that might be applicable to that. I don't have much info on any of the above books beyond the titles.

Heya Doc ... The ones I bolded would be my pick. CotN (4e) was a damn fine book with some great material in it, as is Champions Powers (6e). But, of the three, I REALLY love the Viper 4e book ... every book for Viper has paled in comparison since that book ;)

My OS has wiped out my post twice already tonight, so let's see if three's the charm. :rolleyes:

The Mutant File: A combination Enemies book and Organization book, most suitable to campaigns featuring significant anti-mutant paranoia. It details the global mutant-hunting group Genocide (resembling a combination of Marvel Comics' Sentinels and Hellfire Club); Genocide's opposite number, the mutant group IMAGE (like Magneto's Brotherhood of Mutants, with larger membership and more organization); and a number of independent mutants. Median power level of these characters is well above Fourth Edition Champions' averages, and pretty high even for Fifth Edition.

Enemies Assemble features a variety of supervillain teams, some familiar to longtime Champions fans (a significantly modified Ultimates, and a whole team of allies for Foxbat), others completely original. They range from annoyances, to "friendly enemies," to world-class threats.

Champions of the North 4E: aside from being set in Canada, this book has little in common with Scott Bennie's 5E version. The sizeable number of characters, both NPC hero and villain, are all different from Scott's, but IMHO pretty interesting. However, as written they're all relatively low powered, which some Champsfiles found irritating. The survey of Canada and Canadiana is useful, though not as complete as Scott's, and obviously outdated.

Champions Powers 6E: Mostly the same as the two UNTIL Superpowers Database(s) combined into one book, updated to Sixth Edition, with a little new material added. If you need large numbers of pregenerated Power constructs for a 6E game, this is the book for you.

HERO System Almanac I and II: a combination of new and alternate 4E rules (Almanac I contains the Spirit Rules, for example), new CU characters and organization expansions (AI has an Australian superhero and villain, while AII expands 4E UNTIL (not nearly to the degree 5E Defenders of Freedom does); and a few other interesting tidbits. Wide-ranging grab-bag of material, not focussed on any one subject or approach.

Allies: A variety of NPC hero teams and solo heroes that your PCs can encounter as friends, rivals, or opponents, depending on the characters and the needs of the campaign. Ranging from a superhero team much like most PC teams (the Cybernights), to glory-hogging showoffs (the Flashmen), to government operatives (Executive Sanction), and more. Good range of campaign uses and power levels.

VIPER 4E: some similarities to the 5E version, including a few key personnel; but with a different origin (no Nama); different organizational structure and MO (Nests are more like franchises for whoever can afford them, and the command lines are laid out differently); a radically different Supreme Serpent with a unique agenda; and a much greater emphasis on VIPER supervillains than in the 5E book.

Urban Fantasy Hero: don't own it, so can't speak to it, sorry.

Champions Presents #2: Combines adventures (Murder in Stronghold, a mystery, and MAVRIC, uncovering a powerful Artifical Intelligence with plans of conquest) with an organization book (King Cobra's Coil, quite different from the 5E version, with more villains including a Random Villain Generator).

My OS has wiped out my post twice already tonight, so let's see if three's the charm. :rolleyes:

The Mutant File: A combination Enemies book and Organization book, most suitable to campaigns featuring significant anti-mutant paranoia. It details the global mutant-hunting group Genocide (resembling a combination of Marvel Comics' Sentinels and Hellfire Club); Genocide's opposite number, the mutant group IMAGE (like Magneto's Brotherhood of Mutants, with larger membership and more organization); and a number of independent mutants. Median power level of these characters is well above Fourth Edition Champions' averages, and pretty high even for Fifth Edition.

Enemies Assemble features a variety of supervillain teams, some familiar to longtime Champions fans (a significantly modified Ultimates, and a whole team of allies for Foxbat), others completely original. They range from annoyances, to "friendly enemies," to world-class threats.

Champions of the North 4E: aside from being set in Canada, this book has little in common with Scott Bennie's 5E version. The sizeable number of characters, both NPC hero and villain, are all different from Scott's, but IMHO pretty interesting. However, as written they're all relatively low powered, which some Champsfiles found irritating. The survey of Canada and Canadiana is useful, though not as complete as Scott's, and obviously outdated.

Champions Powers 6E: Mostly the same as the two UNTIL Superpowers Database(s) combined into one book, updated to Sixth Edition, with a little new material added. If you need large numbers of pregenerated Power constructs for a 6E game, this is the book for you.

HERO System Almanac I and II: a combination of new and alternate 4E rules (Almanac I contains the Spirit Rules, for example), new CU characters and organization expansions (AI has an Australian superhero and villain, while AII expands 4E UNTIL (not nearly to the degree 5E Defenders of Freedom does); and a few other interesting tidbits. Wide-ranging grab-bag of material, not focussed on any one subject or approach.

Allies: A variety of NPC hero teams and solo heroes that your PCs can encounter as friends, rivals, or opponents, depending on the characters and the needs of the campaign. Ranging from a superhero team much like most PC teams (the Cybernights), to glory-hogging showoffs (the Flashmen), to government operatives (Executive Sanction), and more. Good range of campaign uses and power levels.

VIPER 4E: some similarities to the 5E version, including a few key personnel; but with a different origin (no Nama); different organizational structure and MO (Nests are more like franchises for whoever can afford them, and the command lines are laid out differently); a radically different Supreme Serpent with a unique agenda; and a much greater emphasis on VIPER supervillains than in the 5E book.

Urban Fantasy Hero: don't own it, so can't speak to it, sorry.

Champions Presents #2: Combines adventures (Murder in Stronghold, a mystery, and MAVRIC, uncovering a powerful Artifical Intelligence with plans of conquest) with an organization book (King Cobra's Coil, quite different from the 5E version, with more villains including a Random Villain Generator).

Thanks, LL. Just the kind of feedback I was looking for. Looks like the Almanacs won't be of much use to me, But Allies and The Mutant Files might(and I'm a big fan of converting older characters). Enemies Assemble is a definite maybe, though I pretty much have my own membership for The Ultimates which I doubt I'll change in the near future.