Submitted for your approval: 10 too human aliens.

amanojaku

Re: Submitted for your approval: 10 too human aliens.

Not to drag religion into this' date=' but could hyperspace be god, or the mind of god, in your campaign setting? Have you considered having a religion in your setting based on this premise?[/quote']Actually most people hated traveling the Void (as it is called in the setting). And recent events have disrupted Void travel and sped up the implementation of alternate FTL concepts.

• 8 months later...

My favorite "very alien alien species" is Species 8472.

The Shadows from Babylon 5

I have a lot of the classicals too:

Shadows/Vorlons, Species 8472, the Borg (at least their "soceity" is pretty inhuman), Xenomporphs (Alien), the Zerg from Star Craft.

And of course: The Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal.

Then there are the Liir for Sword of the Stars (sentient, psionic spacefaring dolphins):

http://www.kerberos-productions.com/img/sots/SotS_elder.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2009/103/959419_20090414_790screen003.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/liir/Vox_Imperatoris/Sword%20of%20the%20Stars/Liir.jpg

And then there is Nova, german indie RPG with his own unique set of "definetly not-human aliens" (picturs taken from the facebook-site):

The complete [ATTACH=CONFIG]39792[/ATTACH] in the RPG and some short descriptions to the species:

Beta-Pictor (2 Pictures; 1st Row): not interested in Japanese Schoolgirls. No gender (reproduce by cloning - everyone unit has the same DNA); organised in the "Continuum", linked through a half-collective (shared subconsciousness). Dominant species through the fact that they simply overrun anything with sheer masses and fast production. A lot like the borg, except that they have individuality (but little impulse to act upon it) and are lousy at adapting (no mayorchanges in ship design for at least 200 Years) despite having the best tech avalible.

Often shortened to BP by players...

Cassiopian ("Cassiopier"; 2 Pictures, 1st Row): Intelligent insect, similar to ants. Expect that the use a mix controlled Evolution, Biotechnological Cyberntics and some other high end stuff (Black hole energy production, instant teleport gates). Lost agaisnt the Beta-Pictor so they had to disclose all their tech to them (wich do not use it yet).

Three genders: Queen (rare; one per nation), Worker (sterile female; playable), Drone (male; get's eaten after securing the following generation)

Minelauvanians ("Minelauvaner"; 3 Pictures, 2nd Row): Aquatic species with the tech to travel the stars and function on land (with cybernetic legs and Respirator). The Traders your are going to get your stuff from or a going to be your competitors.

Tokmardians ("Terade"; 1 Picture, 3rd Row): From sociological point of view, they are the Dark Eldars from Warhammer 40k (best way to describe them), except not nearly as powerfull anymore and way more evil (their home planet is a synonym for hell). No Eyes (uses Scanner-traingle), 95% cybernetic (there is a brain and a circulatory system in there somewhere....), hermaprodites and a build in continuous track-drive for fast movement. Because of the implants to 100% adicted to a Drug that can only be extracted from other organic, sentient species.

At'rank-gulor (2 Pictures, 4th Row): Intelligent plants, who have nothing better to do than fight among themself.

Foure Genders: Origin (as bright as cattle), Gardeners (Cave-devllers), Flier (Air-devllers) and Jumper (Shown; can glide).

Veganoid (1 Picture, 4th Row): Symbiotic Psionics. Physically weak even in their host body, but the guys to ask when you want to learn how to use your abilites.

And I left out the Xeracor (intelligent, silicon based Rocks; not palyable) and about 90% of the fluff written in the species description (5+ pages per Species).

Then there is the Protectorate of Vendar (Machines enslaving humans), who use non-humanoid forms for some their larger military brethren (no exaples give so far).

And I am not certain the autors don't have more ideas in the backhand...

I was daydreaming the other day about living next door to man-sized sapient spiders, who'd wave at me while we were both mowing our lawns. Which is funny, because I'm actually mildly arachnophobic(though I did put up with having a giant "writing spider" on our outside back window--it's very pretty, for a spider).

The hybrid aliens, Sil and Eve, from the Species series, are fairly interesting.

There seem to be quite a few nonhumanoid aliens in anime and elsewhere that possess a vagina-like mouth(with and without teeth/fangs). I can only assume someone in the art department was working out some issues...