Submitted for your approval: 10 too human aliens.

amanojaku

http://www.asylum.com/2010/12/06/human-like-aliens/1#c31984754

Now anyone want to do a comment on the most alien aliens? Ones that didn't look like humans with at best minor alterations?

My #1 vote goes to "the thetan" (not the scientology version) from the original 'outer limits' episode "architects of fear. It was so inhuman and scary (By 1960's standards, of course) that some stations wouldn't show it for fear of causing a panic.

See for yourself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4XbwWAXimI&list=SL

Re: Submitted for your approval: 10 too human aliens.

Well, I OP'ed this as I thought it fit the star hero genre well enough and was good for a laugh. I notice they didn't mention the TOS klingons, or Martians from "My favorite martian" in the original list.

Still, the thread could be useful for people looking for alien ideas.

Well' date=' I OP'ed this as I thought it fit the star hero genre well enough and was good for a laugh. I notice they didn't mention the TOS klingons, or Martians from "My favorite martian" in the original list.[/quote']Yeah, those Martians would have been a much more logical entry than the Sabaceans from Farscape (who, as one commenter there noted was revealed in the finale, look like humans because they're genetically altered human stock). I suppose the person making the list either didn't think of Uncle Martin, or figured Mork was enough of a sitcom alien.

Triffids... giant sentient broccoli

Didn't notice that they were particularly sentient in the book or movie. Animal-level intelligent, yes. Not aliens, either, in the original book: they were somebody's genetics experiment, cultivated because of their useful products. While moderately dangerous, they weren't a serious threat... until a meteor shower set off somebody's Cold War secret weapon and blinded most of the world.

There's a race in 5th ed Star Hero about insectoid aliens who take over mammals as hosts.

If we're including audio dramas, I would say the Tookah from the Ruby Gumshoe series (from ZBS)

http://www.zbs.org/catalog/images/TOOK.jpg

(Watch the 3rd eye, it tells you what they're REALLY looking at.)

Let's not forget the Great Old One, Ctuthullu.

An alien doesn't have to live in an inhospitable environment to be alien.

That's true. Earth-like worlds are a rarity in my SF setting, which means that it's populated with aliens which evolved in different environments. When I get around to adding an earth-like world with intelligent natives (which will constitute a major turning point in its history) they'll be very alien, as well.

In my Gemini Ascendant setting, hyperspace is a sentient entity.

In a wider audience thing, I always considered the Elder Race pretty alien. How could a species that displaces personalities over time not be a little on the alien side.

The xenomorphs from the Alien series of movies, books, video games, etc. are fairly incomprehensible. In fact, their driving need to destroy every other living thing around them only makes sense in the whole "developed bio-weapon" or "demon" context. I have a hard time believing that their physiology is realistic, so that leaves "demon" as the only context that makes sense (to me anyway).

Most other fictional alien species I've been exposed to (fictional being the only aliens I have been exposed to - just for clarification) are just funny looking humans. I don't have a problem with that actually. Being as I think (mostly) like a fellow human, it gives me context.

I like the Martians of Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land - he doesn't describe them well, as far as their physical form (basically: big as a bread truck, with three legs), but how he manages to describe their alien culture and thinking is pretty awesome. Same with the 'Buggers' from the Ender series, and the 'piquieninos' (sp?) later in the series.

As for inhuman Aliens where you do get a good look at them, yeah, the "Species 8472" of Aliens are just plain awesome and terrifying. I also like some of the less humanoid aliens of the Mass Effect setting.

In my Gemini Ascendant setting, hyperspace is a sentient entity.

Hm, interesting. Intriguing. Potentially something I might one day use. What are the ramifications of it in your setting? My immediate thought was of hyperspace, long ago, deliberately trapping various alien travelers inside itself so that it could experiment upon them and eventually breed a race of fanatical protectors to help protect itself from interlopers...

Hm' date=' interesting. Intriguing. Potentially something I might one day use. What are the ramifications of it in your setting? [/quote']For the most part, when people travel through hyperspace they have the sensation of being watched. Sometimes they feel other emotions layered over their own. They can sort of identify those layered emotions as belonging to something else, but sometimes the emotions are so strong that they merge with the traveler's. Psychics have learned to block all of that out, but some folks develop emotional issues from being in hyperspace too long.

For the most part' date=' when people travel through hyperspace they have the sensation of being watched. Sometimes they feel other emotions layered over their own. They can sort of identify those layered emotions as belonging to something else, but sometimes the emotions are so strong that they merge with the traveler's. Psychics have learned to block all of that out, but some folks develop emotional issues from being in hyperspace too long.[/quote']

Not to drag religion into this, but could hyperspace be god, or the mind of god, in your campaign setting? Have you considered having a religion in your setting based on this premise?