Superheroes Sponsored by Corporations (Such as the NFL)

Egyptoid

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Superheroes Sponsored by Corporations (Such as the NFL)

I made but never got to play The Coca Cola Kid. Martial Artist with Coca Cola weaponry. The Cola Bola. The Coke Grenades (shaken Coke cans which were explosion entangles). Cans of Fury (Coca Cola Nunchuks). The Can of Soda which aided his Stun and End.

I did something similar to this:

Cola-Man, defender of Truth, Justice, and the 12-ounce six-pack! His powers were all based on Coke advertising slogans.

Coke Adds Life - 4d6 Healing, including resurrection

Coke:Catch the Wave - 8d6 EB, area of effect Cone

Coke:The Real Thing - 12d6 Invisiblity Supression, Area Effect

Cola-Man had his enemies, of course. His arch-nemesis was that dastardly supervillain, Dr. Pepper, who favored Mind Control attacks ("I'm a Pepper, you're a Pepper, he's a Pepper, she's a Pepper, wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too?") Cola-man also had to face that enemy superteam, the Pepsi Challenge.

For semi-realistic corporate sponsorship, basically the heroes will have to a) abide by the law, B) abide by whatever morals clause exists in their contract, c) never publicly bad-mouth the company, and optionally, d) participate in commercial endorsements of company products and services. In exchange for all that, they will likely draw a decent paycheck, not CEO-caliber but conceivably up to the low millions(1 to 10 points of wealth), depending on how much favorable PR value/sales the hero generates for the company. They will have generous insurance and liability benefits, plenty of paid time off, and may have an excellent degree of access to corporate general counsel, the top management, and the board of directors. On the down side, they will be watched by the company, and may have a "handler", to keep them in line. Sort of a "bird in a gilded cage" scenario.

I had a player who was an actor in Hollywood. He was cast in the role of a power-armored superhero named Ronin and was gifted a functioning suit of armor with all the powers of the movie role. He was also miked up, had several installed video cameras with the studio having the rights to all POV footage and had tracking beacons in the suit so film crews could easily find him and film more footage. The disadvantages of the suit (Watched, Distinctive Features, Reputation: Suit's capabilities well-known) equalled the cost of the advantages so I just handed the armor write up to the player and called it a wash.

Stan Lee just designed The Guardian Project for the NHL:

They've released 28 of the 30 so far:

http://www.facebook.com/theguardianproject?v=app_123121171084181#!/album.php?aid=34045&id=156199747751632

its kind of cool, but it looks like they paid somebody minimum wage

to spend about 20 minutes being creative on it.

My nephew Clay designs better stuff than those.

• 2 weeks later...

The name of the Tampa Bay hero should be Captain Fear since that's what they call their mascot. Though I wonder if they got the ok from DC to use that.

There's blatant discrimination against naval ranks among superhero names. I happen to think "Chief Petty Officer Titan" is a perfectly catchy moniker.

With my homebrew world, most corporate-sponsored hero teams are (at worst) seen as corporate shills or victims of product placement. The most popular, in terms of public acceptance, is Imagination (the official hero team of the Walt Disney Company). Naturally it has East and West Coast teams (and they are thinking of expanding to either Paris or Tokyo).

Our world, in 'Coast City' (a Seattle/Portland/Silicon Valley expy), there are four competing Super-Tech companies that each have their 'field model' power-armor test pilots acting (competitively with one another) as Super Heroes that work closely with the police. At least one has moved out of the 'corporate shill' limelight into being a genuine Hero by the public's standards.

Although it is long out of print, if you can lay hands on any of the books from White Wolf's old supers game, i think it was called Abberant or something similar, they did a wonderful job of looking at Heros and society (basically what white wolf is good at.) Although there were conventional "live in a high tech manion and fight crime" characters in that game, it was much more about what would the world be like if there really were super powered individuals. Most of them are not true heroes of true villians, but rather people tyring to make a buck and find a place for themselves. I never cared for the mechanics of the game much, but there were tons of neat campaign ideas there.

One of my first Champions character ideas was Captain Generic aka Generic Man.

Standing for Truth, Justice, and Quality Products and Affordable Prices

Lucius Alexander

Generic Palindromedary

• 1 year later...

In Champions 4th Edition there were the Zen Team, from the Allies supplement. Basically a sentai outfit from Japan (with the name Zen Team being a play on that) they were sponsored by the Zen Investing and Management Group, which sponsored the program that gave them their powers. There were five members--Zen Lion, Zen Dolphin, Zen Eagle, Zen Rhino, and Zen Mouse. Six, if you count the rogue Zen Scorpion.

I liked them, myself--they could have used some vehicles, but otherwise they seemed good to go. I was thinking there could have been a Zen America, to support and protect Zen's holdings in America and to generate positive publicity for them. I thought that rather than a team, Zen America could have been one person--the idea being that due to Americans' perception of themselves as "rugged individualists," a solo hero would be better received.

I was also thinking that speedsters would have a great range of opportunities when it came to corporate sponsorship. Messenger/package delivery services, food delivery ("Lightning Pizza--our drivers are almost as fast as Speedmaster!"), high-performance car manufacturers--even internet providers ("The only thing faster than Ultra-Rush is Compumax Executive-Level Wireless Srevice!") are a possibility.

Hope that helps.

As previously stated, from 4th Ed, there was the Zen team and from 5th Ed there is Binary Man. Although not mentioned, Cavalier has sponsorship as well.

From DC Comics, Booster Gold was part of The Conglomerate -IIRC-; a superhero team designed around corporate sponsorship (an idea I've wanted to toy around with, but couldn't get a proper vibe for). I believe Astro City had a super who was sponsored or part of a television show.

I'm not sure if it's made its way stateside yet' date=' but if you don't mind looking over to the anime side of things for some inspiration, there's Tiger & Bunny, which revolves around corporate-sponsored heroes that star in a reality TV-inspired show, Hero TV.

It's on the Viz anime site, so Canadians can't see it.