Human Library

Enforcer84

So....

KS: Everything

SC: All

any real good way to do this? I'm considering a skill pool.

character in question, the Archivist basically has become the avatar of Knowledge, specifically Libraries. He can access almost any skill he needs at any given time. However he has to access them and can only hold a few at a time.

beyond that he's a two-fisted adventurer with a nearly perfect physique thanks to a keen knowledge of exercise and recreational Alchemy.

Any ideas or neat powers I should consider?

Re: Human Library

i mean the obvious thing would be a small perhaps cosmic vpp that would represent knowlage of martial arts , super skills maybe even magic universal translator would seem to be a must.

two good examples of characters with this power set would be IVY the archive in The Dresden files who is a 7 year old girl one useful power she displays other than incredibly efficient and potent mystical power was that you could contact her instantly simply by writing a message on a piece of paper as she had all written knowledge at her disposal .

Another would be John Doe of the short lived TV show of the same name who knew everything except who he was. one use of the power he made was gambling using his knowledge of racing odds and stock/commodities information to become interdependently wealthy in a few days.

i mean the obvious thing would be a small perhaps cosmic vpp that would represent knowlage of martial arts , super skills maybe even magic universal translator would seem to be a must.

two good examples of characters with this power set would be IVY the archive in The Dresden files who is a 7 year old girl one useful power she displays other than incredibly efficient and potent mystical power was that you could contact her instantly simply by writing a message on a piece of paper as she had all written knowledge at her disposal .

Another would be John Doe of the short lived TV show of the same name who knew everything except who he was. one use of the power he made was gambling using his knowledge of racing odds and stock/commodities information to become interdependently wealthy in a few days.

Yeah...my initial problem (not really a problem to me) is that some might balk at his 2 or 3 VPP's

Some things I'm sure of:

• Overall Levels that require an INT roll as he has to access them.
  • Skill Enhancers - even if I use the "Universal Scientist" skill, there are some he simply learns eventually
  • levels to offset weapons/vehicle familiarity penalties...and just say he knows them all.

I'm not worried about points but I'd like to try some more cost-effective, border-line munchkin builds I usually just throw points at the problem.

Universal Scholar and Universal Scientist like in the Ultimate Skill are the same thing dmjelund is suggesting. I like that you're not jumping on the power pool first thing, I've always been bothered by using that mechanic for skills, it feels like cheating players who bought their character's skills the regular way. Now that I've dissed skill pools, I'll say that I think they ARE appropriate for simulating super skills like in Dark Champions, just not the skills the super skills are based on. Just my humble opinion. And there's nothing wrong with KS: Everything 30- and SC: All 30-, either.

I started a thread in the Hero System forum called "how to build Encyclopedic General Knowledge". You can see the details of my question there, but the two main suggestions I have been offered are to use Universal Scholar from the Advanced Player's Guide, or to Conisder Cramming, with a truckload of PSKs to decrease the time required. The only problem with the second method is that the character still needs the materials to study, its not an inate ability.

You might also be able to buy a detect the right answer power to simulate knowledge in a skill.

CES

Both Lightning Calculator and Universal Translator are based on Detect, so this has precedent.

Here are some bits and pieces I have lying around that might apply.

First, from my write up of Amazing Man:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/74819-Public-Domain-Super-Heroes/page3

54 4) The Fourth Test: To answer a thousand questions, each in a different tongue: (Total: 72 Active Cost, 54 Real Cost) Universal Translator 16- (23 Active Points); Limited Power Only known, human languages. (-1/4) (Real Cost: 18) plus Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); Requires Amazing Intellect Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 5 Active Points; -1) (Real Cost: 2) plus Speed Reading (x100) (Real Cost: 6) plus Speed Listening (x100) (6 Active Points); Limited Power Only to mentally review information being "played back" by Eidetic Memory (-1/2) (Real Cost: 4) plus Deduction 14- (Real Cost: 5) plus Cramming , Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; Amazing Man always seems to know what he needs to know; +1/4) (6 Active Points) (Real Cost: 6) plus Cramming , Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; Amazing Man always seems to know what he needs to know; +1/4) (6 Active Points) (Real Cost: 6) plus Cramming (5 Active Points); Requires Amazing Intellect Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 5 Active Points; -1) (Real Cost: 2) plus Lightning Calculator (3 Active Points); Requires Amazing Intellect Skill Roll (-1/2), Side Effects (If roll is missed by more than one, a WRONG answer is given - usually a number equal to the right answer, plus 4 ; -1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus Life Support (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week; it doesn't say they gave him any breaks during that test!) (Real Cost: 2) plus Computer Link (5 Active Points); Requires Amazing Intellect Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 5 Active Points; -1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; Has to think about it; -1/2) (Real Cost: 1)

Notes: Some notes on the powers: Amazing Man is reported to have "passed easily" a test on "all subjects." Rather than buy KS: Everything at <=30, I chose to annotate his encyclopedic knowledge as a "computer link." to represent the library in his mind. This, combined with Eidetic Memory, Speed Reading, Speed Listening (in a single Turn he can mentally review an hour and a half lecture) and three slots of Cramming mean that he can get an <=8 roll in almost anything (by consulting his Eidetic Memory, and speed-studying it.) Note, however, that he is not omniscient (even he can't read every book and every newspaper and attend every lecture on every subject!) nor is his information perfect; even if he remembers a text, article, or conversation perfectly, the source may be incomplete, outdated, or just plain wrong.

Note: "Amazing Intellect" was an INT based Power Skill.

Hang on, there's something else if I can find it...

Here it is

Penalty Skill Levels: +3 vs. Non-proficiency penalty to offset a specific negative OCV modifier with all attacks Real Cost: 9

Combat Driving 18-, Variable Special Effects (Any SFX; Any form of ground transport; +1/2) (25 Active Points) Real Cost:25

Combat Piloting 18-, Variable Special Effects (Any SFX; Can fly anything. ; +1/2) (25 Active Points) Real Cost:25

Lord of War (compound power): (Total: 19 Active Cost, 7 Real Cost) Cramming , Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action to reset; +3/4) (9 Active Points); Limited Power Only for Weapon or Transport Familiarity (-1) (Real Cost: 4) plus Speed "Reading" (x10,000) (10 Active Points); Limited Power Only to learn a Weapon or Transport Familiarity (-2) (Real Cost: 3)

Of course, you'll have to change and adapt almost all of these, but I think some of them are good starting points.

Lucius Alexander

Amazing Palindromedary

Skills for an Immortal - Cost = 38 pts

3 - Knows Everything... - Scholar

2 - 1) History of the World: KS: World History (INT-based)

2 - 2) People of the World: KS: People of History (INT-based)

2 - 3) Major Events of the World: KS: World Events (INT-based)

3 - Traveled Everywhere... - Traveler

2 - 1) Cities of the World: CK: Cities of the World (INT-based)

2 - 2) Cultures of the World: CuK: World Cultures (INT-based)

2 - 3) Places of the World: AK: World Geography (INT-based)

20 - Worldly...: +10 with all Knowledge Skills (40 Active Points); Limited: Life Experiences (-1/2), Limited: Only to offset penalties to Knowledge Skill category level penalties (-1/2)

NOTE: Knowledge Skill category level penalties are from The Ultimate Skill/Hero System Skills

This was a design for an immortal PC in the Wardens Chronicles campaign... I wanted something like Universal Scholar or Universal Traveler but with some limitations based on the PC's life experiences...