Blast in HTH Combat

I am currently building a EP for a 6E 400 point champions game. He is unusual in one fact:

His "natural" power only allows him to use his energy on hth-range, using his (many) limbs. But with the right focus he can project them at range, like any normal blast.

So now is where I wondered:

1) Is there a penalty for using blast in HTH-Combat?

2) What do you think of the following Limitation on a Blast (or the entire blast multipower): "Requires Durable OIF or only useable on hth-range" -1/4

Re: Blast in HTH Combat

You're using "Variable Limitation?"

Anothe possibility is to buy the "buy off" of the Limitation as a Power. Calculate the cost of the Power with and without the Limitations, and buy the difference as a "Custom Power" to which you can then apply the Focus Limitation.

As far as I see, either is a legitimate way to do it.

Lucius Alexander

No Range Palindromedary - it only cooks with a microwave

You're using "Variable Limitation?"

A variant with only two different types of. But I just noticed: the mandatory HTH-Only Limitation for HTH Attack/HKA-Attack is only -1/4.

But no Range for Blast is -1/2. Same as OIF. So actually simple -1/4 variable Limitation would have been enough:

Variable Limitation, -1/4 (Either OIF or No Range).

Anothe possibility is to buy the "buy off" of the Limitation as a Power.

Thought about that too. The main problem here was that it is a Multipower and buying of Limitations is a form of Naked Advantage.

The main point for me is, that I don't have to buy the same attack once as HTH-Attack and once as Blast and then have to Unify the two variants of the Attack.

But it does raise one questions:

Aside from being the rules way to do it, why choose HTH-Attack (5 BP/1d6, -1/4 Limitation) instead of Blast, No Range (5 BP/1d6, -1/2 No Range)? The only difference I see is that they are different powers for the Purpose of Drain/Aid.

from 6e1 page 231,

With the GM’s permission, a character can define an HA as an energy-based attack against which ED, rather than PD, applies. When a character uses such an HA, his regular HTH damage from STR adds to the energy-based attack in the normal manner, and it’s all considered energy damage.

My question about H-t-H is' date=' since it is technically Limited strength, is it valid to buy it as working against ED?[/quote']

Yes, with GM permission. The example energy gaunltes even are build as +4d6, affects ED.

Apparently I was mistaken about HTH. I thought it was the HTH Range version of a Blast (for Energy Punches). But Apparently that is what Blast, No Range is there for (and it fit#s my concept better).

I am currently building a EP for a 6E 400 point champions game. He is unusual in one fact:

His "natural" power only allows him to use his energy on hth-range, using his (many) limbs. But with the right focus he can project them at range, like any normal blast.

So now is where I wondered:

1) Is there a penalty for using blast in HTH-Combat?

2) What do you think of the following Limitation on a Blast (or the entire blast multipower): "Requires Durable OIF or only useable on hth-range" -1/4

You could buy the Blast with No Range then the focus that allows the character to fire at range is the points saved by buying off the No Range with the appropriate focus.

You could buy the Blast with No Range then the focus that allows the character to fire at range is the points saved by buying off the No Range with the appropriate focus.

We already had that answer. The problem is that all the powers are in the Multipower. Multipower and Naked Advantages seem to be an either-or thing and don't mix well togehter. Considering that he does not add STR in HTH, a Variable limitation (-1/4; OIF or No Range) for the Multipower is the right sollution.

Why are Mulipowers and Naked Advantages an either-or thing?

From 6e1 page 314:

NAKED ADVANTAGE BASICS

Naked Power Advantages are considered Special Powers (and therefore may not be bought in Power Frameworks without the GM’s permission).

Is buying a Naked Advantage that effects a power in a Framework the same as buying an NA in a Power Framework?

Naked Advantages on Multipower Slots are a GM Permission thing, so I guess it comes pretty close. Looks like you are not supposed to buy the Naked Advantage on Slots, but buy the Advantaged Version as another Slot.

They are incompatible because both are there to have variation of the same Attack:

a 12d6 Blast

Plus Naked Advantage Autofire (5 Shots; 1/2) for 40 AP of Blast

Plus Naked Advantage Penetrating (+1/2) for 40 AP of Blast

equals a Multipower with

12d6 Blast

8d6 Blast, Autofire (5 Shots)

8d6 Blast, Penetrating

Both variants have Benefits and Drawbacks.

Christopher: How many powers does he have that will be no range unless he has a focus?

Minimum of at Least one Blast and One Ranged Killing Attack.

Maybe another Blsat, good a doing Stun vs. heavy armored targets (double Armor Piercing perhaps) and perhaps a penetarting variant.

But not Movement Powers and the entire frame is only "One Slot at a time".