Invincible

phoenix240

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Invincible

Sorry...I'm coming to this a bit late....You might want to look at this thread:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/77450-Any-generic-Viltrumite-character-somewhere?highlight=Invincible+series

There is a suggestion in that thread to use a Capt Marvel (the Billy Batson hero, not MarVell) build as a base....That said, here are a couple of versions of that (and a classic 1938 version of Superman and some other possible cores to build on...Please note that NONE of them were built by me...just lovingly shared here....all credit to their original builders)

http://killershrike.com/MiscCharacters/Contributions/Hyper-Man/Supers/JLA/The%20Big%20Red%20Cheeze.html

http://project250.tripod.com/captainmarvel.html

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationscomic/dc/superman.html

http://surbrook.devermore.net/bigbrawl/rpg/brick.html

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/mathew/csjuggernaut.html

And maybe, with a fair bit of additions and tweaking: http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/mathew/panietzschean.html

I'll see if I can find anything else and if I do I'll add it later.

Looking forward to you possibly posting your version.....

-Carl-

I haven't read the Invincible series but what I have read about the characters indicates they are like Captain Marvel without Billy Batson or Kryptonians without any red sun or kryptonite limitations.

Board member Checkmate posted a character named Apex (to the Hero Designer Vault) that probably fits that aspect of the Invincible character a little better.

Sorry...I'm coming to this a bit late....You might want to look at this thread:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/77450-Any-generic-Viltrumite-character-somewhere?highlight=Invincible+series

There is a suggestion in that thread to use a Capt Marvel (the Billy Batson hero, not MarVell) build as a base....That said, here are a couple of versions of that (and a classic 1938 version of Superman and some other possible cores to build on...Please note that NONE of them were built by me...just lovingly shared here....all credit to their original builders)

http://killershrike.com/MiscCharacters/Contributions/Hyper-Man/Supers/JLA/The%20Big%20Red%20Cheeze.html

http://project250.tripod.com/captainmarvel.html

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationscomic/dc/superman.html

http://surbrook.devermore.net/bigbrawl/rpg/brick.html

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/mathew/csjuggernaut.html

And maybe, with a fair bit of additions and tweaking: http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/mathew/panietzschean.html

I'll see if I can find anything else and if I do I'll add it later.

Looking forward to you possibly posting your version.....

-Carl-

Thank you! I searched the forum but nothing appliclable came up.

There's a "handbook of the marvel universe" type comic out there for Invincible. Actually, i think it may have been 2 issues, but can't remember. I've got it tucked away somewhere... as I recall, Mark's official stats are WAY under what he's been shown to be capable of.

As these things go, he's not that complicated of a build, especially when compared to someone like Superman or Captain Marvel. Pretty limited list of skills and a very straightforward power set that has matured with time. Some interesting contacts and reputation though...

I haven't read the Invincible series but what I have read about the characters indicates they are like Captain Marvel without Billy Batson or Kryptonians without any red sun or kryptonite limitations.

The basic run down, based on the last 80 issues:

Fairly High level Super Strength: Mark's one of the strongest heroes on Image Earth. As in hundreds of tons. He's pretty small potatoes compared to some of the older Viltrumites though. He used a fair number of classic comic brick tricks now and then, but he mostly just wails away on opponents. Probably has a Brick Tricks Power Skill, possibly a MP. Honestly, his strength is difficult to gauge in raw lifting terms. I mean, he's never moved a plant or mountain, only destroyed them...

Large HKA: All Viltrumites can and do use their strength with lethal results. Probably Armor Piercing, possibly Penetrating or even an AVAD considering how easily he can hurt other bricks when he doesn't hold back. When Mark smashes, he smashes HARD.

Super Speed Flight: Hypersonic at least. He's capable of Interstellar travel. Some variable advantage may be in order here. He's done a few interesting super speed stunts before, so again he probably has a Speedster Stunts Power Skill, possibly a MP. As is typical for the genre, he doesn't usually exhibit the hightened reflexes/accelerated thought processes that moving at these speeds should require.

Mid to high levels of "invulnerability": Mark's pretty much immune to most Terrestrial threats, but Viltrumites can lay a serious whooping on each other with their punches/HKA's. To help account for this, I wouldn't give him too high of levels of rPD/rED. Lets face it, he at least gets a bloddy lip every time he fights a serious brick. Can probably justify some Power Defense and just a bit of Mental Defense in there as well. He also just survived a bomb that basically disintegrated Las Vegas... lost his costume, had a couple of very minor looking scratches. So yeah, he's tough.

Ridiculous levels of BODY, CON, STUN and END: Viltrumites have been shown to fight through things that would instantly incapacitate most normal beings. And they can fight for days on end. Which may tie in to...

Slow Regeneration w/Resurrection, possibly a large REC: Mark has suffered fatal/near fatal levels of damage several times. He doesn't have a single scar yet and always springs back, though often times with medical assistance. Critical injuries can sideline him for months at a time. It seems Vultrumites cannot heal back completely missing limbs, but they may be able to reattach them. It's hard to say since Mark had medical attention when his arm was nearly ripped off. There are several ways to permanently kill a Viltrumite though.

Life Support: Sufficient life support to survive in space easily. Technically Viltrumites have to breath, but with practice they learn to hold their breath so well that that can last through interstellar journeys, so it's more of a plot point. They do use space ships on really long journeys. It's not clear what the natural life expectancy of a Viltrumite is, we just know it's a really, really long time. They are pretty much immune to disease and poison, up until it becomes a plot point. They can seemingly live off anything organic. They can also mate with damn near anything, but I'm not sure you want to make a power out of that ;)

No super senses, no energy attacks, no need to absorb sunlight, no common weaknesses, no OIAID type stuff.

Like I said, pretty straight forward. It's all a matter of "how powerful do I want to make him?" and then making sure the appropriate opponents are strong enough to be a credible threat.

The basic run down, based on the last 80 issues:

Fairly High level Super Strength: Mark's one of the strongest heroes on Image Earth. As in hundreds of tons. He's pretty small potatoes compared to some of the older Viltrumites though. He used a fair number of classic comic brick tricks now and then, but he mostly just wails away on opponents. Probably has a Brick Tricks Power Skill, possibly a MP. Honestly, his strength is difficult to gauge in raw lifting terms. I mean, he's never moved a plant or mountain, only destroyed them...

Large HKA: All Viltrumites can and do use their strength with lethal results. Probably Armor Piercing, possibly Penetrating or even an AVAD considering how easily he can hurt other bricks when he doesn't hold back. When Mark smashes, he smashes HARD.

Super Speed Flight: Hypersonic at least. He's capable of Interstellar travel. He's flwn THROUGH a planet before, so some variable advantage may be in order here. He's done a few interesting super speed stunts before, so again he probably has a Speedster Stunts Power Skill, possibly a MP. As is typical for the genre, he doesn't usually exhibit the hightened reflexes/accelerated thought processes that moving at these speeds should require.

Mid to high levels of "invulnerability": Mark's pretty much immune to most Terrestrial threats, but Viltrumites can lay a serious whooping on each other with their HKA's. To help account for this, I wouldn't give him too high of levels of rPD/rED. Can probably justify some Power Defense and just a bit of Mental Defense in there as well.

Ridiculous levels of BODY, CON, STUN and END: Viltrumites have been shown to fight through things that would instantly incapacitate most normal beings. And they can fight for days on end. Which may tie in to...

Slow Regeneration w/Resurrection, possibly a large REC: Mark has suffered fatal/near fatal levels of damage several times. He doesn't have a single scar yet and always springs back, though often times with medical assistance. Critical injuries can sideline him for months at a time. It seems Vultrumites cannot heal back completely missing limbs, but they may be able to reattach them. It's hard to say since Mark had medical attention when his arm was nearly ripped off. There are several ways to permanently kill a Viltrumite though.

Life Support: Sufficient life support to survive in space easily. Technically Viltrumites have to breath, but with practice they learn to hold their breath so well that that can last through interstellar journeys, so it's more of a plot point. They do use space ships on really long journeys. It's not clear what the natural life expectancy of a Viltrumite is, we just know it's a really, really long time. They are pretty much immune to disease and poison, up until it becomes a plot point. They can seemingly live off anything organic. They can also mate with damn near anything, but I'm not sure you want to make a power out of that ;)

No super senses, no energy attacks, no need to absorb sunlight, no common weaknesses, no OIAID type stuff.

Like I said, pretty straight forward. It's all a matter of "how powerful do I want to make him?"

Thanks!

The former is probably just the special effect of Life Support: Reduced Eating.

The latter is pure handwavium in most of the games I've played in. And probably worth no more than a Perk in any of the other games.

After all, most D&D races and creatures have that same power ;)

Board member Checkmate posted a character named Apex (to the Hero Designer Vault) that probably fits that aspect of the Invincible character a little better.

Here is the original Apex discussion thread started by Killer Shrike and the version of the character posted on his website.

I'm guessing that the Champions Universe Empyreans have a lot in common with Viltrumites from the Invincible universe.

Greetings Program, if you ever want to Superhero or Supervillain Conversion for HERO System's Champions you can always find something from theses HEROphiles; Killer Shrike, Susano, Ghost Hunter, Zornwil, Proditor, Enforcer84, GestaltBennie and I few I forgot.

Or you could follow the Links below!

QM

I'm guessing that the Champions Universe Empyreans have a lot in common with Viltrumites from the Invincible universe.

Not really. The Empyreans are more like Marvel's Eternals, a genetically altered race of humans that has been on earth for thousands of years. Like the Eternals, each Empyrean has his own unique powers and abilities. Of course, Apex is pretty classic flying Brick, so he's close to a Viltrumite. But that's something of a coincidence really :)

Viltrumites all have the same powers, which seem to grow with age and good genetics. They are an advanced alien race that just happens to look human. Overall, they are a bit more like warmonger Kryptoninas hellbent on conquest.

As I said, they don't have all the same powers as Kryptonians, but they also lack all the weaknesses... so they're pretty damn scary.

As I said' date=' they don't have all the same powers as Kryptonians, but they also lack all the weaknesses... so they're pretty damn scary.[/quote']

From are rules/balancing perspective:

If you made a Superman without the limitations, your powers cost more. Thus you can't take that many powers/have to use weaker version of those powers.

The same goes for Complication: No Succeptibility to Kryptonite, no DNCP, no CvK, no "Big Boyscout" - you either have to compensate with other Complications or have even less points (325 points an no Limitations - hard to make anything usefull for a 400 points game with that guidelines).

So you could have a superman without all his downsides - but the real superman with those drawbacks would still beat him up, possibilly easily.

And in the end, it is the question if this is supposed to become a hero, or not. Because a Hero needs Complications and Limitations, or he would be no Hero at all.

Edit:

I just found a interestign question in Champions 6E: "Why does a character become a superhero, instead of just staying a superhuman?"

Okay:

"Why does a character become a superhero, instead of just staying a super[insert species here]?"

a superhero uses his abilites to battle evil and rotect innocents a superhuman just goes abou his day today bisness staying out of what he considers police matters

From are rules/balancing perspective:

If you made a Superman without the limitations, your powers cost more. Thus you can't take that many powers/have to use weaker version of those powers.

True, but they also have less powers to deal with. They're much more focused.

However, I don't think there was any mention of how many points phoenix240 was looking to build Invincible on...

The same goes for Complication: No Succeptibility to Kryptonite, no DNCP, no CvK, no "Big Boyscout" - you either have to compensate with other Complications or have even less points (325 points an no Limitations - hard to make anything usefull for a 400 points game with that guidelines).

Well, I wasn't really touching on his complications too much.

Mark has a strong need to protect the innocent and is one of the sworn protectors of earth. Total first responder to any big crisis, like alien invasions. Even though he's no longer directly affiliated with any of the big teams, he's worked with all of them and they call him in when they need an extra heavy hitter.

He started off with a CvK, thought he killed someone by accident, kept trying not to kill no matter what. It kinda blew up in his face, so he went through a period where he thought he had to kill super villains in order to save lives. He's since changed his ways. He felt pretty awful guilt over it, so he may qualify for a moderate CvK currently. He's generally averse to killing and sometimes solves problems without throwing a single punch.

But he also has an Enraged. He killed the Viltrumite Conquest, a beast of a man that nearly murdered him, his little brother, his father and the woman he loved.

He does have a few characters that would qualify as DNPC's, such as his mom. His girlfriend, Atom Eve, is pretty powerful so she's probably not worth any points. A true love psych complication is probably more appropriate for them.

He has a secret ID (though a lot of his inner circle know it) and several Hunteds (a moderate sized rogues gallery and he's watched by the GDA)

So yeah, plenty of complications.

So you could have a superman without all his downsides - but the real superman with those drawbacks would still beat him up, possibilly easily.

Eh, comes down to how you build them.

Supes might save a bunch of points with limitations, but he has so may more powers (dozens of super senses, Heat Vision, Super Breath, Cold Breath) and a ton more established speed and strength stunts that he uses all the time.

Mark could easily end up a much more efficient on the same amount of points because he's considerably less versatile.

Though in general, I think Supes is currently faster and possibly stronger. He's tougher in general, but Mark would deal with certain threats better.

And in the end, it is the question if this is supposed to become a hero, or not. Because a Hero needs Complications and Limitations, or he would be no Hero at all.

Huh? Complications tend to make for interesting plot hooks, but they aren't "required" to be a hero. Though as I pointed out, Mark DOES have complications.

Same with Limitations: makes things interesting and saves points, but plenty of characters out there don't have any.

It's not like Mark has infinite power or anything. He's been put in plenty of situations where all the strength and speed in the world just wasn't enough...

Edit:

I just found a interestign question in Champions 6E: "Why does a character become a superhero, instead of just staying a superhuman?"

Probably a good topic for another thread :)

Here's the most powerful (and semi retired) PC in our collective campaign for comparison

Free Spirit

Player: Chris Bayliss

Val Char Cost

100 STR 90

25 DEX 45

40 CON 60

20 BODY 20

15 INT 5

18 EGO 16

20 PRE 10

30 COM 10

42 PD 22

40 ED 32

5 SPD 15

28 REC 0

100 END 10

105 STUN 15

10" RUN 8

4" SWIM 2

20" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 360

Cost Power

50 Invulnerable: Damage Resistance (40 PD/40 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (50 Active Points)

10 Invulneable 2: Hardened (+1/4) for up to 40 Active Points of PD (10 Active Points)

10 Invulnerable 3: Hardened (+1/4) for up to 40 Active Points of ED (10 Active Points)

50 Sealed Physiology: LS (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep)

150 Multipower, 150-point reserve

15u 1) Flight 40", x4 Noncombat, Usable Underwater (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (149 Active Points)

15u 2) Flight 20", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Usable as: FTL Travel (+1/2), MegaScale (1" = 100,000 km; +1 1/2), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (150 Active Points)

15 Enhanced Senses: +5 PER with all Sense Groups

8 Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group), Discriminatory

10 UV Perception (Sight Group), Discriminatory

48 +16 versus Range Modifier for Hearing Group and Sight Group

15 Penetrator Vision: N-Ray Perception (Sight Group), Discriminatory

15 Microscopic ( x1,000) with Sight Group

90 Thermal Vision: Multipower, 90-point reserve

9u 1) Flash Vision: RKA 6d6 (90 Active Points)

5u 2) Focussed Flash Vision: RKA 4d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2) (90 Active Points); Extra Time (Extra Phase, -3/4)

5u 3) Welding Beam: Minor Transform 9d6 (Welding Effects, Breaking) (90 Active Points); Extra Time (Extra Phase, -3/4)

75 Brick Tricks: Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages; +3/4) for up to 100 Active Points of Strength (75 Active Points)

43 Effectively Immortal: Healing 4 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (130 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2), Ressurection can take a very long time depending on damage Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (-1/4)

7 Distracting Costume: +15 PRE (15 Active Points); Only affect opponets that would attracted to her Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2), Only to make foe hesitate or lose phase Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (-1/4), OIHID (-1/4)

10 Fortune favors the Bold: Luck 2d6

10 Rally!: +20 PRE (20 Active Points); Only for Positive Pre Attacks Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1)

20 Does not Falter in the Face of Evil: +20 PRE; Defensive Only Power loses less than a fourth of its effectiveness (-0)

10 Heroic Will: +5 with Ego Rolls

55 Heroic Inspiration: Succor Presence 4d6, MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Selective (+1/4) (55 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses less than a fourth of its effectiveness (Targets must have Line of Sight to her; -0), Limited Power: Pre can only be used by starter to defend Power loses less than a fourth of its effectiveness (-0)

Powers Cost: 750

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

4 Human Torpedo: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -2 DCV, 20d6 +v/5; FMove

5 All Out Attack: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 24d6 Strike

5 Evasive Flight: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove

5 I'll take that!: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab Weapon, 110 STR to take weapon away

Martial Arts Cost: 19

Cost Skill

3 Bureaucratics 16-

7 Demolitions 14-

4 AK: Europe 13-

1 Language: German (basic conversation)

2 Language: French (fluent conversation)

1 Language: Japanese (basic conversation)

6 Navigation (Air) 14-

3 Oratory 16-

3 Tactics 12-

3 Teamwork 14-

9 +3 with Flash Vision

20 +4 with HTH Combat

Skills Cost: 62

Cost Perk

15 Reputation: World's Greatest Heroine (A large group) 14-, +5/+5d6

5 Money: Well Off

24 Contact (Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (24 Active Points) 13-

10 Favor

Perks Cost: 54

Total Character Cost: 1245

Pts. Disadvantage

15 Distinctive Features: Unearthly Beauty (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 DNPC: Paul Mcormick (Captain Liberty) 14- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)

15 Hunted: The Fourth Reich 11- (As Pow; Harshly Punish)

15 Hunted: Sturmfurher 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: Esienfaust 8- (As Pow; Harshly Punish)

15 Social Limitation: Famous Public ID (Very Frequently; Minor)

10 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Magic (Uncommon)

10 Psychological Limitation: Patriotic (Uncommon; Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Protective of Innocents (Common; Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Honorable (Common; Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Love Paul Mcormick and Daryl Equus (Uncommon; Strong)

10 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Atlantean Magic (Uncommon)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 850

Experience Required: 245

Total Experience Available: 300

Experience Unspent: 55

Thanks. :)

But I can't claim credit. FS is really old character. We run a collective campaign thats basically several games run in the same "universe". She's originated in one gm's universe when he was running a Golden Age game so have been functioning as hero for decades in game and a couple in real life and has become the setting's Superman analogue. The other PCs are much more "reasonable" and she's often "on a mission in space" or some such lately. We're considering a radiation accicdent to power her down or even a reboot or new game. Having her killed in Viltrumite invasion was tossed around but no one really wants to see her killed particularly if its a "Worf".