Always on Death Touch

PamelaIsley

Actually, I'm not sure the power is all that complicated. This is what I came up with:

Death Touch (RKA 3d6, Does Body +1, NND Longevity +1, No Range -1/2, Always On -1/2); 90 point total cost.

If that is the best way to build the power, I'm curious more about how it works. In the movie X-Men, Rogue's "death touch" is always on, but doesn't work through gloves. However, any real physical contact between Rogue and other characters will result in damage (for example, when she kisses someone).

Would a death touch in Hero work the same way? Would gloves negate the effect (I doubt it)? Is "touch" restricted to hands?

Sorry if these are obvious questions. I might have missed this being clearly stated somewhere in the 6E book (and I will be the first to admit I am not that familiar with 6E2).

Re: Always on Death Touch

If you want the character to be deadly whenever she touches someone or someone touches her, you need to buy it with the Area of Effect option Damage Shield (+¼).

As for whether it works through clothes or not, just put a modifier on it, Requires skin to skin contact (±0). It is a limitation on a regular damage shield because it will be harder to make skin contact, but it is an advantage that the character can cover up to keep from accidentally killing off her friends.

If you want the character to be deadly whenever she touches someone or someone touches her' date=' you need to buy it with the Area of Effect option Damage Shield (+¼).[/quote']

Isn't Damage Shield a total of +3/4 in 6E? AoE Personal Surface (+1/4) and Continuous (+1/2).

Don't forget Reduced Endurance: No Endurance otherwise the character will bleed endurance every single phase and had better have one hell of a high recovery. Alternately you could pout the power on a trigger so that it activates when she is touched or touches someone, and make it uncontrolled.

How about this construction:

Death Touch (RKA 3d6, Does Body +1, NND Longevity +1, personal surface -- Damage Shield +1/4, Constant +1/2, No End +1/2, Limited to Living -1, No Range -1/2, Always On -1/2, Unified -1/4); 59 total cost

One problem I see with this is that the active points get very out of hand.

Yeah the active cost does get high but then it is a 9DC continuous AOE attack. It's pretty bad ass. given that it is NND you might want to cut it down to 2d6 or even 1d6. lets face it this attack has a good chance of killing a normal with one shot and should do some serious harm to almost any characters just because of the NND. I think the number of character I have built with Longevity can be counted on one hand... so it still effects almost everyone... AND they get no defense against it!

Another possibility could be:

Death Touch: Drain BODY 4d6, Area Of Effect (1m Surface; +1/4), Persistent (+1/4), Constant (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (100 Active Points); Limited to Living Targets Only (-1), No Range (-1/2), Always On (-1/2)

100 AP / 33 RC

Sadly, I don't have that book since it hasn't been printed yet. :) I could try to find the Curse in 5E materials.

The living being limit is actually important. Would that be a -1 limit or closer to -1/2?

I'd give it a -1/2 unless the campaign is such that the character will be facing allot of automatons, robots and other non living opponents.

The big thing' date=' I'd think, is walls, Barriers, Entangles, etc...[/quote']

I was taking that into account when I picked -1/2. Its similar to Restrainable Claws but little less limited in some respects like working on things that Grab her automatically. And it would effect some sfx of Entangle and Barrier (plant sfx, for instance).

The reason I mention the skin-to-skin touch thing is that there isn't anything in the build that suggests that otherwise. All No Range means is that you need to be within the "no range" distance to target them, and normally "my armored glove to his armored face" is enough to meet that requirement.

The reason I mention the skin-to-skin touch thing is that there isn't anything in the build that suggests that otherwise. All No Range means is that you need to be within the "no range" distance to target them' date=' and normally "my armored glove to his armored face" is enough to meet that requirement.[/quote']

True, No Range isn't the same as Touch Only. But would Damage Shield/AE: Surface take that into account?

Death Touch (RKA 3d6, Does Body +1, NND Longevity +1, personal surface -- Damage Shield +1/4, Constant +1/2, No End +1/2, Limited to Living -1, No Range -1/2, Always On -1/2, Unified -1/4); 59 total cost

One problem I see with this is that the active points get very out of hand.

Despite being Always on it is a isanely powerfull attack. You pretty much keep everybody from grabbing her.

Death Touch: Drain BODY 4d6, Area Of Effect (1m Surface; +1/4), Persistent (+1/4), Constant (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (100 Active Points); Limited to Living Targets Only (-1), No Range (-1/2), Always On (-1/2)

100 AP / 33 RC

I to think that is the better idea

Don't NND KA's also need the additional +1 "Does BODY" advantage still? Or did that change in 6E?

That's why he wrote it as the first advantage.

Other things:

A Always on Power must be presitent, not continuos.

Also as a attack power it has to be visibile two common senses (maybe three because of the persistense?), so you will need Full IPE unless anybody sees the life draining aura around her (kinda defeats any try to hide). You can also ask your GM if you can "trade" some of the visbility vs another. For example buying of inobviousness to a common sense and obviousness to uncommon senses are both +1/4. So just trade half of one common sense to say "obvious to magic senses".

Skin contact required exists for mental powers and is regarded as -1 (but that includes no Range; 6E 154)

Edit: Forget the part about the three sense. I mixed up Constant and the entire uncontrolled/DoT thing. But it is still by default visible to two common senses.

100 AP / 33 RC

This is a nice alternative. I'll have to think about whether I prefer this to my original line of thinking.

Using the OP I came up with this:

17 Real Pts: Aging Touch: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Area Of Effect (1m Surface; Personal Surfact; +1/4), Persistent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Constant (+1/2), Does BODY (+1) (52 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Attack Versus Alternate Defense (Life Support- Longevity or Not making Skin to Skin contact; All Or Nothing; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only vs Living Targets; -1/2), Always On (-1/2)

Adding 1 DC to the KA pumps the cost up to 70 active. BTW adding the Common defense of Not making skin to skin contact makes the NND(AVAD) a +1/2 instead of a +1 for the more rare Longevity.

As above the power will bring to 0 body an average BODY 8 -10 person in 3 Phases, Killing them in 7-8 phases (ie doubling their body)

Drain vs KA depends on whether you want the damage to go away quickly (ie in a few turns) or to heal back like a wound.

Only vs Living is IMHO only worth at best a -1/2 limit. Unless the campaign the character is in features a ton of undead and or Robots. Most of what your character faces in combat will be Living people. So at best it only makes it worthless a third of the time (probably really only limits it a quarter of the time).

Also a great construction' date=' but I think it's missing the Always On (-1/2) drawback and I'm curious why the AVAD is -1/2 instead of +1/2?[/quote']

Because the Defense Must touch skin to skin (or Longevity) is a Very common defense as most people wear clothing and Supers tend to be more fully clothed than regular people. So It goes from Very Common > Very Common, and also has all or nothing. So it ends up as a limitation and not an advantage.

If I remove the Must touch skin to skin and leave the defense as Longevity then it becomes a +1/2 advantage.

Oh and Hero Designer is one cool piece of software :D