Is it worth converting

Ferret

My question is simple. I have a ton of fifth edition books and I'm wondering if it is worth it to convert to 6th edition. The thing is I rarely get a chance to run Hero. Because the Hero system is a little tougher to learn. I'm wondering if the sixth edition is easier for new players to pick up. The cost of all those new books will also be a nasty pill to swallow. Lastily hero designer is it cabaple of converting all those fifth edition hd files I purchased? Is the vault is still up and is it full of new npc's. Thanks for your help sorry if this thread appeared some where else I could not find the answers I was looking for. Ferret.............

Re: Is it worth converting

Some people say the Basic Rulebook has it's place as introduction into the HERO system. It is not fully compatible with the full books* but might be worth to give new players at first. Just don't forget to say that "Details provided without guarantee".

*They cut the Frameworks down to one page about Multipower. The Default Multipower allows you only to use on power and the GM-Optional flexible Multipower just behaves like a normal Multipower with all flexible slots.

My question is simple. I have a ton of fifth edition books and I'm wondering if it is worth it to convert to 6th edition. The thing is I rarely get a chance to run Hero. Because the Hero system is a little tougher to learn. I'm wondering if the sixth edition is easier for new players to pick up. The cost of all those new books will also be a nasty pill to swallow. Lastily hero designer is it cabaple of converting all those fifth edition hd files I purchased? Is the vault is still up and is it full of new npc's. Thanks for your help sorry if this thread appeared some where else I could not find the answers I was looking for. Ferret.............

As mentioned above, there is a "Basic" Hero book and that is somewhat easier to digest. As far as the "Full" 6th edition (Character Creation book and Adventuring and Combat book) it is not any easier to learn than the 5th edition, in fact it may be harder. Difficult to say at this time though. Us salty Hero players will not have had a difficult time with 6th. We have to hear back from the general gaming community for the verdict on this subject.

You say that 5th is too hard to learn, but my question is, how much of the system do you expect the players to know off the bat? Do you want them to create their own characters, and by that I mean figure out the mechanics of character. And how many options are you using right off the bat? (Both mechanical options like frameworks, and rules like hit location.) My daughter is picking up hero system and she is seven. (Plus she says she likes the math!) Now its not like we use every rule. She told me what type of character she wanted, I wrote it up. And when running the game I've used the basic rules, and introduced new ones as needed, such as double knockback. And to save time, I used premade characters and changed them as needed. Crusader is now the Night Adder, Frisbee is the Diskmaster, and King Cobra is the Dinomaster. My point is that you can start off basic and add complexity when and where it is needed.

I do no think HERO rewards converting. However, I do like to pick up new editions of the rules because it provides me with insight into how I have been doing things in the past and how that might be changed - doesn't mean I will and no-one is going to force me. However, if I stick with the old way of doing things then I know I am justified in doing that because I have considered alternatives. As well as that, I want to see more HERO products and that means providing some encouragement such as dropping money on a new set of rules every ten years or so... ;-)

I do not think there is a real need to upgrade the ultimate books etc as they are pretty much system independent never mind version independent.

I do not think any of your players would notice the change as the gameplay is pretty much the same. What is definitely worth getting are the Advanced Players Guides which provide options that did not make the core rules as that provides some official options for expanding the powers within the game.

Doc

HD does not convert 5th to 6th

you pretty much have to redo most characters

the good thing is most characters need only a little redoing

HD is a very good thing to have

But there has not been an update since Feb of 2011 and Dan is not working on it at this time

And no word that I have seen yet if Hero/DoJ will extend the 2 yr support contract to cover this unsupported time or lower the price to reflect that there is no more support

In a word, depends. Hero 6E brings the following to the table:

• Figured Characteristics have been replaced by non-figured (they start at a given value and must be bought up separately from that value).
  • Comeliness has been removed ( bad thing to some).
  • Damage Adding has been simplified.
  • Force Wall has been replaced with Barrier
  • Armor and Force Field have been replaced with Resistant Protection
  • Damage Negation is a new power. It literally subtracts Damage Classes before rolling the dice.
  • Some additional Powers, Modifiers etc.
  • A better layout. While the rules themselves are not easier, the layout makes them seem more accessible.
  • General tightening of the rules.

With those benefits comes a high dollar price (for some). As mentioned by Beast, Hero Designer does not convert characters from one edition to another.

I have not yet had the chance to pick up Star Hero for 6E, but I was sorely disappointed in the Fantasy Hero 6E book. Much of it was reprinted from the earlier 5E book. The good news there is that you will probably not have to pick up replacements for a lot of the genre books. Much of the material from the Bestiary (and I am going to go out on a limb and add the Grimoire to that list) is already printed in 5E books. For example, the dragons in the Bestiary are essentially item for item replications from the Book of Dragons. The only real changes are in the Characteristics section.

My own verdict is that you should consider the Hero 6E Character Creation and Combat and Adventuring books but leave the rest alone. In a pinch you can get the very basics with the Basic Rules, but it omits several of the things that separates 6E from 5E (many powers and modifiers for instance).

Just speaking for myself:

I've seen the 6th Edition core books in store, I've looked through them (out of morbid curiousity mostly), and I feel confident in my decision to stick with 5th Rev. The few changes that even come close to what I would consider a good idea simply are not good enough to make up for the things I absolutely detest about 6th Edition.

I bought the new books and am generally happy with them. I saw enough of worth that I felt justified in converting. I actually liked getting rid of Figured characteristics. My current pet project is converting old 3rd and 4th ed modules to 6th. I've gotten through VOICE of Doom, Scourge from the Deep, Atlas, Demons Rule, Stronghold(old version), and Coriolis Effect. Unlinking figured makes for a lot more character flexibility. I love being able to just buy high DEX or high combat values without them being linked and so forth.

I own the 6th edition books but have not played yet. Overall my first impression is positive and I intend my next game to be 6th ed. There are some things I will miss from 5th (Find Weakness, calculated characteristics) but I think over all the system is better organized and strait forward. They deleted several powers that were not needed or could be duplicated with other powers and they created new powers that you previously had to build using complicated advantage/limitation combinations to pull off. I'll post again once I actually play and let you know if there are any hidden issues or treasures I find in the system.

Just speaking for myself:

I've seen the 6th Edition core books in store, I've looked through them (out of morbid curiousity mostly), and I feel confident in my decision to stick with 5th Rev. The few changes that even come close to what I would consider a good idea simply are not good enough to make up for the things I absolutely detest about 6th Edition.

Same here.

I have the books for reference and mostly so I know what the heck people are talking about around here, but I have no desire to "upgrade" to 6th from 5th. I may take a few things from 6th (Damage Negation etc) and use them in my games, but for the most part I like what 5th edition HERO did for the game and see no reason to change it.