Human Library

Enforcer84

KS: Everything? Check.

Universal Linguist, Scientist, etc? Check.

I looked through the Hyper-Intellect abilities in Champions Powers and was wondering if there are abilities or skills you'd think would be particularly important.

The character concept is an Intellect Sponge who was trapped in the Library of Babylon.

For his structure: 1000pt monster.

Offense: Eclectic Martial Arts, some Combat Intelligence abilities (12d6, or 9 with +1/2 Limitations)

Defense: Combat Luck, Toughness (Damage Reduction) 25% and armored costume, Iron Will (mental defense). (24 PD/ED 12resistant)

Movement: Athlete (running, perhaps swinging)

Exceptional Characteristics

My idea is one part Reed Richards, one part Doc Savage.

Re: Human Library

Combat Sense, Spatial Awareness - byproduct of Always Pays Attention

Possibly a high DMCV (Esoteric Meditation Techniques)

Jack of All Trades - Knows the theoretical underpinnings of every profession out there, and picks up the practical stuff easily

Heavy on the Social skills, since he/she understands the human mind oh-so-very-well

On the MA - Weapon Elements (All)

Probably a variety of Artistic skills (drawing, at least, is useful in studying certain subjects)

Forgery (study that many documents, you get a feel for how to fake them)

SS: Mathematics, Astronomy, Physics, Chemistry, Biology

Gambling (mostly the Chess/Go types, but familiar with all of them)

Possible Psychological Complications - Irritatingly Calm; Always Wins at Trivia; Insufferable Know-it-all; Bores Easily; Too Noble For Own Good;

thanks guys! Good calls, though I have another guy who's going to be the PRE fellow, I suppose I could at least give him Bureaucracy and Charm.

He does have: Jack of All Trades, Linguist, Scholar, Scientist, Traveler (though the Traveler skills are mostly 11- since he's studied atlases that may be out of date)

Why not just buy 10 overall skill levels with a minor lim (All you can know from a book -1/4).

Then buy a few generic skills (AK: Asia, Europe, Africa, N. America, S. America, Mid East). Even if you suffer a -5 penalty in knowing something about the Swedish country side, you still have a reasonable chance at success. And the skill enhances will look nice on the Character sheet and probably save you a few points.

La Rose.

from my write up of Amazing Man

54 4) The Fourth Test: To answer a thousand questions, each in a different tongue: (Total: 72 Active Cost, 54 Real Cost) Universal Translator 16- (23 Active Points); Limited Power Only known, human languages. (-1/4) (Real Cost: 18) plus Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); Requires Amazing Intellect Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 5 Active Points; -1) (Real Cost: 2) plus Speed Reading (x100) (Real Cost: 6) plus Speed Listening (x100) (6 Active Points); Limited Power Only to mentally review information being "played back" by Eidetic Memory (-1/2) (Real Cost: 4) plus Deduction 14- (Real Cost: 5) plus Cramming , Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; Amazing Man always seems to know what he needs to know; +1/4) (6 Active Points) (Real Cost: 6) plus Cramming , Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; Amazing Man always seems to know what he needs to know; +1/4) (6 Active Points) (Real Cost: 6) plus Cramming (5 Active Points); Requires Amazing Intellect Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 5 Active Points; -1) (Real Cost: 2) plus Lightning Calculator (3 Active Points); Requires Amazing Intellect Skill Roll (-1/2), Side Effects (If roll is missed by more than one, a WRONG answer is given - usually a number equal to the right answer, plus 4 ; -1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus Life Support (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week; it doesn't say they gave him any breaks during that test!) (Real Cost: 2) plus Computer Link (5 Active Points); Requires Amazing Intellect Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 5 Active Points; -1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; Has to think about it; -1/2) (Real Cost: 1)

Notes: Some notes on the powers: Amazing Man is reported to have "passed easily" a test on "all subjects." Rather than buy KS: Everything at <=30, I chose to annotate his encyclopedic knowledge as a "computer link." to represent the library in his mind. This, combined with Eidetic Memory, Speed Reading, Speed Listening (in a single Turn he can mentally review an hour and a half lecture) and three slots of Cramming mean that he can get an <=8 roll in almost anything (by consulting his Eidetic Memory, and speed-studying it.) Note, however, that he is not omniscient (even he can't read every book and every newspaper and attend every lecture on every subject!) nor is his information perfect; even if he remembers a text, article, or conversation perfectly, the source may be incomplete, outdated, or just plain wrong.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders if anyone ever noticed the joke in Lightning Calculator

That sounds somewhat similar to one of my concepts: Mnemos.

Basically he has a Dedicated Mental Line to "the Libary at the end of time" and thus theoretical access to all knowledge of the Universe (or rather Multiverse and maybe even beyond that)

Put in Martial Arts as well, but I build them as Powers instead of using the Martial Arts Skill:

Put the followign in a 30 pt Multipower:

+20 STR, 0 END (+1/2)

+6 OCV

+6 DCV

And then buy "Supercombatmaneuvers":

i.e.:

Move by: 30 STR, 0 END, only adds equal to Velocity/6 (-1/4; HSMA 110)

Super Analyzing:

2 Overall Skill Level, Works like Analyzing (-1/2).

(that one gives you the same bonus as a succesfull Analyzing Roll; maybe based on an INT/Perception Roll)

Super Analyzing:

Detect (Anything you could find via Analyzing, 10 Points)

Anti-enigma:

Detect (solution to any riddle, Trivia question, or similar things; 10 Points)

• 1 month later...

The Archivist (6e, 1000pts)

*blows off dust*

Can't sleep so I thought I'd work on this guy a bit.

ARCHIVIST, THE

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

25 STR 15 14- Lift 800.0kg; 5d6 [2]

25 DEX 30 14-

20 CON 10 13-

30 INT 20 15- PER Roll 15-/19-

15 EGO 5 12-

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

9 OCV 30

9 DCV 30

3 OMCV 0

6 DMCV 9

5+2 SPD 30 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12/2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12

12+12 PD 10 Total: 12/24 PD (0/12 rPD)

12+12 ED 10 Total: 12/24 ED (0/12 rED)

10 REC 6

50 END 6

15 BODY 5

50 STUN 15 Total Characteristic Cost: 246

Movement: Running: 16m/22m/32m/44m

Leaping: 10m/20m

Swimming: 6m/12m

Swinging: 20m/40m

Cost Powers END

28 Esoteric Attacks: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6+1, Variable Advantage (+½ Advantages; +1) (64 Active Points); Does not Add to Martial Arts Damage or Effects (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-¼) 6

65 Gadgets and Gear: Variable Power Pool (Gadget Pool), 40 base + 75 control cost, (78 Active Points); all slots OIF (-½)

Notes: All slots must take at least an OIF/IAF level Focus.

0 1) Force Beam Carbine: Blast 15d6 (75 Active Points); OAF (-1), 12 Charges (-¼), Beam (-¼) Real Cost: 30 [12]

0 2) Grapplier Line: Swinging 20m (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), 2 clips of 8 Charges (-¼) Real Cost: 4 [8]

0 3) Stealth Field Generator: Invisibility to Sight Group (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), 2 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (-¾), Only When Not Attacking (-½) Real Cost: 6 [2 cc]

Gear

15 1) Armored Costume: Resistant Protection (6 PD/6 ED), Impenetrable (+¼) (22 Active Points); OIF (-½) 0

6 2) Auditory Enhancers: +4 PER with Hearing Group (8 Active Points); IIF (-¼) 0

6 3) Holographic Comm Link: High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); OIF (-½), Sense Affected As Sight And Hearing Groups As Well As Radio Group (-½) 0

3 4) Nightsight Lenses: Nightvision (5 Active Points); OIF (-½) 0

3 5) Thermalsight Lenses: Infrared Perception (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); OIF (-½) 0

3 6) Ultrasight Lenses: Ultraviolet Perception (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); OIF (-½) 0

Hyper-Capable Mental Faculties

8 1) Anticipation: Lightning Reflexes (+8 DEX to act first with All Actions)

10 2) Battle Expertise: +2 SPD (20 Active Points); Requires A Roll (INT roll, -1 per 5 Active Points modifier; -1)

20 3) Iron Will: Mental Defense (20 points total) 0

25 4) Linguistical Analysis: Universal Translator 20-

30 5) Think Fast: +15 with all Intellect Skills (60 Active Points); Only To Counteract Penalties For Rapid Performance (-1)

26 6) True Eidetic Memory: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Hearing, Sight And Smell/Taste Groups), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (90 Active Points); Retrocognition Only (-1), Personal History Only (-1), No Range (-½) 0

Preternatural Athleticism

8 1) Acrobatic: Leaping +6m (10m forward, 5m upward) (Accurate) 1

4 2) Fast Healing: Regeneration (1 BODY per Day) 0

4 3) Marathon: Reduced Endurance (½ END; +¼) (4 Active Points) applied to Running

4 4) Sprinter: Running +6m (16m/22m total) (6 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -½) 2

10 5) Tough in a Fight: Energy Damage Reduction, 25% 0

10 6) Tough in a Fight: Physical Damage Reduction, 25% 0

Secrets of the Ancients

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

16 +4 HTH Damage Class(es)

4 Aikido Locks +1 +0 Grab One Limb; 3d6 NND ; Target Falls

4 Box the Ears -1 -1 Flash 8d6

5 Catching the Fists and Feet +1 +1 Grab One Limb, Block

4 Counterstrike +2 +2 11d6 Strike, Must Follow Block

4 Disarm -1 +1 Disarm; 55 STR to Disarm

4 Escape +0 +0 60 STR vs. Grabs

4 Evade -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

3 Grapple -1 -1 Grab Two Limbs, 55 STR for holding on

4 Impede Air Intake -2 +0 Grab One Limb; 4d6 NND

3 Legsweep +2 -1 10d6 Strike, Target Falls

4 Lethal Strike -2 +0 HKA 3 ½d6

3 Luchadore Moves +0 +2 11d6 Strike; Target Falls; Must Follow Grab

4 Nerve Strikes -1 +1 4d6 NND

4 Parry +2 +2 Block, Abort

5 Strikes, Fierce -2 +1 13d6 Strike

4 Strikes, Standard +0 +2 11d6 Strike

3 Throw +0 +1 9d6 +v/10, Target Falls

4 Weapon Bind +1 +0 Bind, 55 STR

1 Weapon Element: Blades

1 Weapon Element: Chain & Rope Weapons

1 Weapon Element: Clubs

1 Weapon Element: Karate Weapons

1 Weapon Element: Polearms and Spears

1 Weapon Element: Staffs

Perks

3 Well-Connected

3 1) The Book Club: Contact: Secret Society of World Archivists (Surprisingly Large group) (Contact has useful Skills or resources) (4 Active Points) 12-

1 2) Contact (Contact limited by identity) 11-

1 3) Contact (Good relationship with Contact) (2 Active Points) 8-

4 4) Contact (Very Good relationship with Contact) (5 Active Points) 12-

1 5) Favor: Important Person (2 Active Points)

10 Library of Babylon: Computer Link

3 Access

6 Money: Wealthy

5 Fringe Benefit: International Driver's License, Membership: Legacy, Passport

Talents

6 Cleans Up Good: +2/+2d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters)

1 Coach Told Me To Be Amphibious: Ambidexterity (-2 Off Hand penalty)

3 Doesn't Get Lost: Bump Of Direction

8 He Reads A bit: Speed Reading (x1,000)

12 Master of Escapes: Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

3 Math Nerd: Lightning Calculator

3 Musical Theater: Perfect Pitch

3 Play Dead: Simulate Death

27 Tell-tale Signs of Trouble: Danger Sense (immediate vicinity, out of combat, Function as a Sense) 15-/19-

Skills

48 +4 Overall

3 Acrobatics 14-

3 Acting 13-

3 Analyze: Combat 15-

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Bureaucratics 13-

3 Charm 13-

3 Climbing 14-

3 Combat Driving 14-

3 Computer Programming 15-

5 Cramming

3 Cryptography 15-

3 Deduction 15-

3 Electronics 15-

3 Forgery 15-

3 Gambling 15-

3 High Society 13-

3 Jack of All Trades

2 1) PS: Appraise (3 Active Points) 15-

2 2) PS: Cook (3 Active Points) 15-

2 3) PS: Instructor (3 Active Points) 15-

2 4) PS: Librarian (3 Active Points) 15-

3 Linguist

0 1) Language: English (imitate dialects) (5 Active Points)

1 2) Language: German (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

2 3) Language: Greek (Modern) (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

2 4) Language: Japanese (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

1 5) Language: Latin (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

2 6) Language: Mandarin (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

2 7) Language: Spanish (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

3 Mechanics 15-

3 Navigation 15-

3 Paramedics 15-

3 Persuasion 13-

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Cooking Styles (3 Active Points) 15-

17 2) KS: Everything (18 Active Points) 30-

2 3) KS: Portland, OR (3 Active Points) 15-

2 4) KS: The Martial Arts World (3 Active Points) 15-

2 5) KS: The Superhuman World (3 Active Points) 15-

3 Scientist

2 1) Science Skill: Biology 15- (3 Active Points)

2 2) Science Skill: Chemistry 15- (3 Active Points)

2 3) Science Skill: Mathematics 15- (3 Active Points)

1 4) Science Skill: Medicine 11- (2 Active Points)

2 5) Science Skill: Physics 15- (3 Active Points)

3 Security Systems 15-

3 Stealth 14-

3 Survival 15-

3 Systems Operation 15-

11 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Riding Animals, Agricultural & Construction Vehicles, Carts & Carriages, Chariots, Railed Vehicles, Tracked Military Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Muscle-Powered Ground Vehicles, Wheeled Military Vehicles

3 Tactics 15-

3 Tracking 15-

3 Traveler

1 1) CK: Athens (2 Active Points) 11-

1 2) CK: London (2 Active Points) 11-

1 3) CK: New York, NY (2 Active Points) 11-

1 4) CK: Paris (2 Active Points) 11-

2 5) CK: Philadelphia, PA (3 Active Points) 15-

1 6) CK: Rome (2 Active Points) 11-

10 Two-Weapon Fighting

3 Ventriloquism 15-

10 WF: Common Martial Arts Melee Weapons, Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Boomerangs and Throwing Clubs, Fukimi-Bari, Staffs, Three-Section Staff

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 719

Total Cost: 965

400+ Matching Complications

15 Hunted: Intellectual Rival Infrequently (As Pow; NCI; Harshly Punish)

15 Hunted: Library of Babylon Infrequently (Mo Pow; NCI; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Watching)

20 Psychological Complication: Code of Heroism (Common; Total)

0 Psychological Complication: Intellectual Vanity (Common; Moderate; Extraneous Complication)

10 Psychological Complication: Protective of Information (Uncommon; Strong)

15 Social Complication: Secret Identity Frequently, Major

565 Experience Points

Total Complications Points: 965

Background/History:

Personality/Motivation:

Quote:

Powers/Tactics: Part Reed Richards, Part Doc Savage.

Campaign Use:

Appearance:

Still have 35 pts to spend!

Not necessarily thrilled, I might remove his strikes and grapples and go with the MA multipower and drop my Esoteric strikes into it.

I think his breadth of knowledge is pretty well summed up - gave him some neato powers (and a few annoying to deal with ones...darn you speed enhancement!)

Oops and that KS Portland, OR should be a CK...will fix

The esoteric strikes power is +1 so that I can avoid the half die when this STR is affected by the Variable Advantage...I think the end result is a 9d6 attack with a +1/2 Advantage.

When reading the initial post I was thinking of something like Kid Flash (Bart) who read and remembers an entire library, but he's not always sure how best to use that knowledge. To stay away from the "Face Man" skills you could play as someone who knows the psychology, but doesn't gronk how to apply it to real people. To use a D&D-ism High INT low WIS.

I also noticed you spent 13 points on Languages, for 10 points you can just get Universal Translator, 7 points if you add the limitation "Only Known Earth Languages".

When reading the initial post I was thinking of something like Kid Flash (Bart) who read and remembers an entire library, but he's not always sure how best to use that knowledge. To stay away from the "Face Man" skills you could play as someone who knows the psychology, but doesn't gronk how to apply it to real people. To use a D&D-ism High INT low WIS.

I also noticed you spent 13 points on Languages, for 10 points you can just get Universal Translator, 7 points if you add the limitation "Only Known Earth Languages".

He has UT as well. The languages are learned and he can speak them at will, the UT is to help him grok others based on what he knows.

He has UT as well. The languages are learned and he can speak them at will' date=' the UT is to help him grok others based on what he knows.[/quote']

Gah you're right, I forgot it's not a talent anymore and I missed it in the powers section.

Just out of curiosity, how do you (and by "you" I mean anyone reading this) feel about the Ultimate Skill's ideas of other Universal Skill modifiers, for example Universal Scientist? I go back and forth with it. I think I'd allow it in a supers game if only one person wanted to be the scientist (normally if I have more than one who wants to go the science route I make one take the physical sciences like Physics, Metallurgy, while the other gets life sciences like Biology, or Zoology). I would probably also limit their combat effectiveness since they'd be so overwhelming in the non-combat side of things.

Universal Translator has it's drawbacks:

A roll is required and byuing that up is expensive.

Isn't it just 1 pt for a +1?

You cannot speak the language. It is not Discriminatory by default (you only get rough meaning).

Improved Universal Translator: Detect Text and Speech +5 to INT Roll (Sight Group), Concealed (-8 with Detect PER Rolls), Discriminatory, Perceive into a single other dimension (near future), Transmit Active and Real Cost:40

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks I should explain that build.

Improved Universal Translator: Detect Text and Speech +5 to INT Roll (Sight Group), Concealed (-8 with Detect PER Rolls), Discriminatory, Perceive into a single other dimension (near future), Transmit Active and Real Cost:40

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks I should explain that build.

you wild man you!

Gah you're right, I forgot it's not a talent anymore and I missed it in the powers section.

Just out of curiosity, how do you (and by "you" I mean anyone reading this) feel about the Ultimate Skill's ideas of other Universal Skill modifiers, for example Universal Scientist? I go back and forth with it. I think I'd allow it in a supers game if only one person wanted to be the scientist (normally if I have more than one who wants to go the science route I make one take the physical sciences like Physics, Metallurgy, while the other gets life sciences like Biology, or Zoology). I would probably also limit their combat effectiveness since they'd be so overwhelming in the non-combat side of things.

I would keep in mind that this power does not means they always know an answer. Especially not if it is a odd information (-5 to a skill roll) or an odd/new field of science. But they will know who knows the answer/is expert on that area so it can help the GM to get the story along.

Two players having both Ultimate Scientist with the same areas could not be that much of a propblem. You could let them make INT rolls to figure out who thinks of the solution first. They could of course be rivals that way. You might inform the player that somebody else has this "Ultimate" too, if they still insist let them. As long as not every player has it, there is no problem.

But that is still enough to bring the Price for a reliable Translation up a lot. 20 for an Int Roll. You have to anticipate a penalty of up to -3 on the roll. At 30 Points you are somewhat certain to make the roll, but never as certain aas someone who just has the language.