Unususal premises for Superteams

phoenix240

What are some of the odder backgrounds for teams have you come up with in your games (Heroes of villains)? Right now I'm working on a team of villains composed entirely of different temporal duplicates of the same character each from a different timeline and all working to ensure their specific "nightmare future" doesn't come to pass.

Re: Unususal premises for Suoerteams

Well, when I revised the classic Champions villain Prof. Muerte for current Champions Universe continuity in Digital Hero #44, I had him brought back from the dead by Takofanes as a grotesque fusion of undead flesh and the technology of his armor. Muerte created a whole new set of minions by "upgrading" various types of undead through a combination of science and necromancy. (His nom du crime thus became more appropriate than ever.) ;)

Well' date=' when I revised the classic Champions villain [b']Prof. Muerte[/b] for current Champions Universe continuity in Digital Hero #44, I had him brought back from the dead by Takofanes as a grotesque fusion of undead flesh and the technology of his armor. Muerte created a whole new set of minions by "upgrading" various types of undead through a combination of science and necromancy. (His nom du crime thus became more appropriate than ever.) ;)

That sounds pretty awesome

Re: Unususal premises for Superteams

We used to have a team called The Robot Smashers. They formed to fight evil robots from the distant planet Roboticus who were hellbent on conquering the earth. I don't know if that's usual to the rest of you, but it was for us.

Later on they reformed as The New Robot Smashers, which was a tip of the hat to The New Teen Titans. I guess that shows how long ago this was!

--Kap

Hmmm well I have actually been thinking about a couple of my teams lately...

• The Solution
    This team was originally created using a "Random Team Name" Generator in Champions Almanac II back in the early 90's. I rolled "New Peace Armada" and decided a team of annoying hippie heroes who did more proselytizing than crime fighting would be fun. The original heroes came by and large from Enemies books: Titaness (Villainy Unbound: Eco Terrorist), The Champion of the Poor (Alien Enemies: Naive hero out to redistribute wealth) and Aries (Enemies: Assembled, basically a scientist who felt he was the guy to save the world from itself). The other members were a cat girl who was PETA inspired before I knew of PETA, a mentalist who crusaded against indecency, and a radical militant feminist with pheromone/beauty powers. They were low-end (particularly for my campaigns) power-wise and served as more of an annoyance than anything else. Though they did lend a hand in natural disasters and such. Part of the problem was they often had conflicting agendas.

When Enemies for Hire came out I added professional spokesperson Starwell to the team.
    When I decided to leave the CU proper for my own world I grabbed them and ported them/filed serial numbers off. Then came White Wolf's superhero game Aberrant. They had a Utopian Institute and I liked it, decided to make the guys more focused and potent. Rewrote most of them and dubbed them the Solution. They still seek to fix the world's problems. International.

• The Lords of Justice
    These guys were (in the time honored tradition of almost every IMAGE title ever) a JLA/Avengers knock off. They basically fill the role of professional Rivals for most superheroes, half the team (and it's large) are just a few bad decisions away from evil and the others try to keep them on the straight and narrow. They're powerful and they show up to take credit for anything. They have great publicity but have a rather poor rep among the other heroes of the world (individuals my differ). Operate out of New York.

• The Defenders
    A family (including their two dogs) given super powers in a reality warping accident. They operate out of San Diego, have issues with Children's services (their youngest two kids are clearly underage to be heroes) and there's some growing pains amongst the children who aren't cool with having their parents running the team.

• The Tomorrow Legion
    A group of gamers who met at Cal Tech, each brilliant in a different field and they decided to "play the game" for real and developed super identities (most using Inobvious Foci to simulate powers). They are the #1 science oriented Super Team in the US. Operate out of San Fransisco.

On the Villain side:

• The Lords of the Wasteland
    An American version of Eurostar was the plan here, a disgraced Politician who has gathered a powerful, barely contained group of nihilists and they carry out his vengeance against America - but make a big show of being revolutionaries.

• The Brigade
    A group of powered armor mercenaries - all the armors are based around mythological creatures. Not all that innovative actually...

• The Trinity
    Mind, Body, and Soul
    Three super powered siblings: Genius, Brick, and Mentalist who were orphaned and have turned to crime to support themselves.
    Originally created as a duo (Mind and Body) by a friend in high school.

• The Lords of Gray
    A powerful mostly mystical based team of non-evil criminals who are mostly out to collect rare and potentially dangerous mystic items and protect them. Lead by a revolutionary war era zombie lord. Includes a once possessed girl who now is in control of the demon, a once-learning disabled strongman who has been bonded with a sentient mind crystal and developed mental powers and super intellect, a corrupted dryad, an assassin cursed with immortality and trapped in his armor.

• The Crossroads
    A blues band given their fame, fortune, and powers by selling their souls. They travel the world and collect souls for their patron but suffer from a bit of internal strife as one of them may be an angel sent to mess things up. They serve as rivals to an all female KISS-Style rock band known as Masquerade.

• R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
    (Renegade Elite Super-humans Performing Excelled Criminal Tactics)
    A group of second tier costumed criminals who, tired of being abused, formed a support group that eventually became a Villain Team. Kind of light-hearted fun. Most of them are just looking to be taken seriously. They are as prone to fighting villains who have disrespected them as they are to battle champions of justice.

I had a group called the Death Throws, which were a bunch of criminal jugglers with various mutant powers: Ringmaster, Bombshell, Mesmer, Fire Eater, and Ricchocet). They were mostly comic relief, but surprisingly crafty at times.

I also had a group called the Icthoids, where were murderous amphibious aliens that pooled their life-force. Every time a member of their pod was killed, the remaining Icthoids got stronger. Initially only one appeared at a time, leading the heroes to think that it was a single villain that was nearly indestructible as it kept on reappearing. Once they figured out there was a whole group of them, they had already killed a number of them which made the rest of the pod incredibly tough. It was a nice way to scale the villains up during the course of the campaign.

Hmmm well I have actually been thinking about a couple of my teams lately...

• The Solution
    This team was originally created using a "Random Team Name" Generator in Champions Almanac II back in the early 90's. I rolled "New Peace Armada" and decided a team of annoying hippie heroes who did more proselytizing than crime fighting would be fun. The original heroes came by and large from Enemies books: Titaness (Villainy Unbound: Eco Terrorist), The Champion of the Poor (Alien Enemies: Naive hero out to redistribute wealth) and Aries (Enemies: Assembled, basically a scientist who felt he was the guy to save the world from itself). The other members were a cat girl who was PETA inspired before I knew of PETA, a mentalist who crusaded against indecency, and a radical militant feminist with pheromone/beauty powers. They were low-end (particularly for my campaigns) power-wise and served as more of an annoyance than anything else. Though they did lend a hand in natural disasters and such. Part of the problem was they often had conflicting agendas.

When Enemies for Hire came out I added professional spokesperson Starwell to the team.
    When I decided to leave the CU proper for my own world I grabbed them and ported them/filed serial numbers off. Then came White Wolf's superhero game Aberrant. They had a Utopian Institute and I liked it, decided to make the guys more focused and potent. Rewrote most of them and dubbed them the Solution. They still seek to fix the world's problems. International.
  • The Lords of Justice
    These guys were (in the time honored tradition of almost every IMAGE title ever) a JLA/Avengers knock off. They basically fill the role of professional Rivals for most superheroes, half the team (and it's large) are just a few bad decisions away from evil and the others try to keep them on the straight and narrow. They're powerful and they show up to take credit for anything. They have great publicity but have a rather poor rep among the other heroes of the world (individuals my differ). Operate out of New York.
  • The Defenders
    A family (including their two dogs) given super powers in a reality warping accident. They operate out of San Diego, have issues with Children's services (their youngest two kids are clearly underage to be heroes) and there's some growing pains amongst the children who aren't cool with having their parents running the team.
  • The Tomorrow Legion
    A group of gamers who met at Cal Tech, each brilliant in a different field and they decided to "play the game" for real and developed super identities (most using Inobvious Foci to simulate powers). They are the #1 science oriented Super Team in the US. Operate out of San Fransisco.

On the Villain side:

• The Lords of the Wasteland
    An American version of Eurostar was the plan here, a disgraced Politician who has gathered a powerful, barely contained group of nihilists and they carry out his vengeance against America - but make a big show of being revolutionaries.
  • The Brigade
    A group of powered armor mercenaries - all the armors are based around mythological creatures. Not all that innovative actually...
  • The Trinity
    Mind, Body, and Soul
    Three super powered siblings: Genius, Brick, and Mentalist who were orphaned and have turned to crime to support themselves.
    Originally created as a duo (Mind and Body) by a friend in high school.
  • The Lords of Gray
    A powerful mostly mystical based team of non-evil criminals who are mostly out to collect rare and potentially dangerous mystic items and protect them. Lead by a revolutionary war era zombie lord. Includes a once possessed girl who now is in control of the demon, a once-learning disabled strongman who has been bonded with a sentient mind crystal and developed mental powers and super intellect, a corrupted dryad, an assassin cursed with immortality and trapped in his armor.
  • The Crossroads
    A blues band given their fame, fortune, and powers by selling their souls. They travel the world and collect souls for their patron but suffer from a bit of internal strife as one of them may be an angel sent to mess things up. They serve as rivals to an all female KISS-Style rock band known as Masquerade.
  • R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
    (Renegade Elite Super-humans Performing Excelled Criminal Tactics)
    A group of second tier costumed criminals who, tired of being abused, formed a support group that eventually became a Villain Team. Kind of light-hearted fun. Most of them are just looking to be taken seriously. They are as prone to fighting villains who have disrespected them as they are to battle champions of justice.

I like these, the Solution most of all.

I had a group called the Death Throws' date=' which were a bunch of criminal jugglers with various mutant powers: Ringmaster, Bombshell, Mesmer, Fire Eater, and Ricchocet). They were mostly comic relief, but surprisingly crafty at times.[/quote']

Believe it or not, someone beat you to it: http://marvel.wikia.com/Death-Throws_(Earth-616)

The Janissaries were super powered descendants of alien abductees sold to a far off Empire as slaves who worked as soldiers for the empire.

The Outcasts/Freak Show were escapees from the laboratory where they were being used as experimental subjects.

Locus Mundi were the top remaining young magicians, working together to fill the shoes of the deceased Sorcerer Supreme, each of them aware that they were being judged to decide which of them was fit to be given the power of said Sorcerer.

The X-Wives had all been given their powers by a Superman knockoff on their wedding night so they could survive sex with him, but now had to team up to defend his city because he was dead.

The Fraternity

students and faculty of a university exposed to a dimensional rift caused by a physics experiment carried out in an abandoned fraternity house originally but as the university became the first in the country with its own super team. it quickly became a center for meta human research and offers a power scholarship and thus and attracts a new batch of people with powers every year from the very minor to the earth shattering some graduate and go on to be heroes or villians others stay on to teach and some return to visit old friends

Well' date=' when I revised the classic Champions villain [b']Prof. Muerte[/b] for current Champions Universe continuity in Digital Hero #44, I had him brought back from the dead by Takofanes as a grotesque fusion of undead flesh and the technology of his armor. Muerte created a whole new set of minions by "upgrading" various types of undead through a combination of science and necromancy. (His nom du crime thus became more appropriate than ever.) ;)

one of the best bits in the magazine's run (well... aside from my stuff)