Team as characters

JmOz

A friend of mine likes to observe that as soon as one player takes a hunted (Specifically Viper), the whole group might as well.

It has got me thinking, certain perks and certain complications seem to affect the team equally if only one or the whole group takes them. For instance a contact with the PD department is useful in a champions game, but 3 members with it is considerably less so.

Furthermore a Hunted who hunts the team affects the whole team. While a DNPC would be less of a complication as all of the team can help to "look after" the person.

My general idea is this, a "character" sheet for a team. I'm still not sure how it would work, but I see things that are "team Based" being placed on it, as a +/- type thing, some of them modified by number of members.

Any ideas?

Re: Team as characters

Sounds like a reasonable idea.

Team crashes Demon / VIPER and they are pissed off. Does only one player gain Hunted or all of them?

Some contacts picked up in play are they just for one player or several?

A team could get a "character sheet".

It would make things easier to keep a track of contacts / hunted that they all picked up and not just one player.

I may create a HD sheet for my group as I always lose the "who did they last talk to in UNTIL last list"

My general idea is that certain elements would be priced per book (contacts come to mind) while others would be rated as value times membership. The cost would be then diivded up among members as a membership perk. Like i said earlier, it is still a vary vague idea

A friend of mine likes to observe that as soon as one player takes a hunted (Specifically Viper)' date=' the whole group might as well. [/quote']Yes and no. Viper may attempt an end-around and strike at one of the other members, without directly striking at the character that is hunted. No different than Viper going after a character's NPCs. Price of doing business.
It has got me thinking, certain perks and certain complications seem to affect the team equally if only one or the whole group takes them. For instance a contact with the PD department is useful in a champions game, but 3 members with it is considerably less so.
Not necessarily. Part of the Contact is defining who that contact is. Player 1 may have connections with the commissioner. Player 2 has a connection with a records clerk. Player 3 has a connection with a janitor. Who is actually better connected all depends on the situation.
Furthermore a Hunted who hunts the team affects the whole team. While a DNPC would be less of a complication as all of the team can help to "look after" the person.
In such a case (Jarvis) take the NPC for the base, and not for any one player.
My general idea is this, a "character" sheet for a team. I'm still not sure how it would work, but I see things that are "team Based" being placed on it, as a +/- type thing, some of them modified by number of members.

Any ideas?

Is your team always together, or only separated briefly? If not, I would keep their contacts/DNPCs/Hunteds separate.

In the games I run there are sometimes occasions where the team members are separated for long-ish periods, so having these as team advantages/disadvantages wouldn't work. The PCs are live in different areas and generally only see each other when duty calls.

why not use it to buy a base instead of characters donating to it

the characters as part of a team get the bennies and complications of the base

since you now only have to come up w/ 75pts for a character you can use the base to round out the whole team

A friend of mine likes to observe that as soon as one player takes a hunted (Specifically Viper), the whole group might as well.

Any ideas?

That strongly sounds like it is simply a campaign rule. The hunteds you accuire in game are usually not worth any character points.

My general idea is that certain elements would be priced per book (contacts come to mind) while others would be rated as value times membership. The cost would be then diivded up among members as a membership perk. Like i said earlier' date=' it is still a vary vague idea[/quote']

For values times membership: How about using the 5 point doubling rule for this (if it makes sense)?

Yes and no. Viper may attempt an end-around and strike at one of the other members' date=' without directly striking at the character that is hunted. No different than Viper going after a character's NPCs. Price of doing business.Not necessarily. Part of the Contact is defining who that contact is. Player 1 may have connections with the commissioner. Player 2 has a connection with a records clerk. Player 3 has a connection with a janitor. Who is actually better connected all depends on the situation.In such a case (Jarvis) take the NPC for the base, and not for any one player.[/quote']

The idea with different contacts in the same organisation is good. It especially explains how ones avaliablity Roll can fail while the others succeds (aside from personal quarrels between Hero and Contact right now). So buying similar/the same contact for the team has a considerable drawback (only one throw).

And for DNCP's: He could be endangered in a way that only one hero can help - wich in turn won't be around to fight the real menace.

General ideas:

Heroes can always pool their resources. If the entire team is considered the ruling council of a country, 5 heroes could pool 2 points each for a shared "head of state" perk. Each of them might have some (political and diplomatic) wieght, but only all of them together can use all the power of that perk.

Anotehr idea is a 'Emtpy Base'. Basically a base sheet, but without physical grounds, a building or walls. It's only a collection of resources the entire team has access too.

I've had a similar thought. Let's say you have pre-created with the intention of allowing players to buy membership with one of the teams as an advantage. What value should the advantage cost? I assume that buying a membership to the JLA should be more prestigious than joining the Outsiders, but one of the advantages of being in a team is to spread the cost of things like bases and vehicles. Does anyone have any good formulas for the proper price of being in a team?

The Team

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

0 PD -2 Total: 0 PD (0 rPD)

0 ED -2 Total: 0 ED (0 rED)

0 BODY -2

Total Characteristic Cost: -6

Movement:

Cost Powers END

20 Patron Wizard's mysterious workings: Luck 2d6, Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (20 Active Points) 0

Perks

6 Positive Reputation (A large group) 14-, +1/+1d6, Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (6 Active Points)

1 Team Funds: Money: Well Off (3 Active Points); Required Multiple Users ([5-8] people; -¾), Only In Alternate Identity (-¼)

2 Communications Link, Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (2 Active Points)

6 Well Connected, all slots Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (6 Active Points)

12 1) Contact: Local Law Enforcement (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact limited by identity), Organization Contact (x3) (16 Active Points) 12-

8 2) Contact: FBI (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact limited by identity), Organization Contact (x3) (12 Active Points) 11-

6 3) Contact: Wealthy Benefactor (Contact has very useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity, Very Good relationship with Contact) (8 Active Points) 8-

4 4) Contact: Powerful magical patron (Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity) (6 Active Points) 8-

2 5) Contact: Fan Club (Contact limited by identity, Good relationship with Contact) (4 Active Points) 11-

0 6) Contact: Assorted people the team has helped (Contact limited by identity, Good relationship with Contact) (2 Active Points) 8-

Talents

2 +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters) (3 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (In uniform; -¼)

Skills

6 Teamwork 9-, Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (6 Active Points)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 75

Total Cost: 69

200+ Matching Complications

16 Contribution: 2 pts per member

10 Hunted: Viper Infrequently (As Pow; Harshly Punish)

5 Hunted: News Media Frequently (Less Pow; NCI; Watching)

5 Hunted: Law Enforcement Infrequently (As Pow; NCI; Watching)

10 Hunted: Assorted villains - an enemy to one is an enemy to all Infrequently (As Pow; Harshly Punish)

5 Hunted: Patrons and Benefactors Infrequently (Mo Pow; Watching)

10 Social Complication: Duties and commitments to the team Frequently, Minor (assuming you WANT to be a superhero)

10 Dependent NPC: Assorted friends and relations of the characters, up to two at a time Frequently (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC (or LESS), Useful Noncombat Position or Skills, Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs

Total Complications Points: 69

Campaign Use: This is an example of a "Team Membership" built using the Base template. There is no actual building or grounds, although that could be added if the team has an actual base. It illustrates how various abilities could be bought so as to be shared among a group, and how Complications as well as Assets can be pooled.

I can post the Hero Designer file if anyone is interested.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Enterprises

[ATTACH]41606[/ATTACH]

Lucius that was what I was implying! Nice job.

Here's the file; pretty simple although I went out of my way to include as many different kinds of things as possible to use as examples.

I suppose a couple of things (like how to put Well Connected on a Base) are non-obvious.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary not included