Looking for 'maps' for a modern environment

bluesguy

GameMastery has some of the best maps for playing Fantasy RPGs that you can find. I do have a hex/square map that I can draw on with the 'dry eraser' markers so I can draw out maps by hand. But it would be nice to either have some 'standard' modern scene maps (street corner, bank, base, mad scientist lab, etc) to use with Champions.

Does anyone know about a product like the one I am describing?

Also does anyone know where I can get/buy 'landscape' to go with a map? I use to have their transparencies which I had bought that had cars, telephone poles, mailboxes, etc. which could be added to the map so the superheros could use those items in combat.

Thank you all in advance.

Re: Looking for 'maps' for a modern environment

I do have the Hero System Resource Kit which is ok. And the downloaded/PDF resources from DriveThruStuff are also very useful. But nothing beats a laminated color map with hexes or squares on it. Printing out paper ones is ok. But not nearly as nice.

Guest steamteck

I agree but what I do is print them on posterboard using a program called poster razor which allows you to break up the image to print out in connecting segments. I then almost laminate them using clear contact paper. The results are not quite commercial but still very nice.

Guest steamteck

Poster razor looks like a great tool to add to my arsenal of tools. But all these products are PDF files and Poster razor doesn't handle PDF files.

How do you deal with that?

Those products are fine already cut up. I was refering to the free stuff on Rapidshare and other similar sites

Try here also

http://dundjinni.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=6

Here's some Star Wars stuff

http://starwarsmaps.blogspot.com/

I'm afraid I can't help with the dry-erase boards, although there are transparent plastic sheet protectors you can put paper maps into that will allow you to write with dry-erase markers over them.

Here's a little tip: Ki Ryn Studios publishes a series of PDF maps for starships under the "Future Armada" imprint. The different decks for the larger ships are set up as interlockable modular map tiles that can be configured different ways. Used with Maptool or Campaign Cartographer or other mapping software they are quite easy to use. While marketed as being for specific starships, they can easily configured into detailed (if slightly repetitive) maps of high-tech secret villain bases for Champions. Here is a sample map of a VIPER Nest I made from just one set of the tiles (Future Armada: Invictus):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43269[/ATTACH]

You can get these at Drive-Thru RPG: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/50121/Future-Armada%3A-Argos-III-%26-Invictus-%5BBUNDLE%5D.

Another little trick:

Champions Online has a screen capture function. Create a flying character. Go to each zone of the game and fly above from a height, looking down. Screen capture. The resulting graphic file will be a servicable map you can use for the pen-and-paper game. For instance, here is a handy "map" of the waterfront warehouses and cargo containers in Westside, Millennium City that can come in handy:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43270[/ATTACH]

Another little trick:

Champions Online has a screen capture function. Create a flying character. Go to each zone of the game and fly above from a height, looking down. Screen capture. The resulting graphic file will be a servicable map you can use for the pen-and-paper game. For instance, here is a handy "map" of the waterfront warehouses and cargo containers in Westside, Millennium City that can come in handy:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43270[/ATTACH]

As someone who can't afford the for-sale map programs and don't have the time or patients to get over the learning curve of the free ones, I must say this is a freaking brilliant idea! Repped.

Ki Ryn Studios publishes a series of PDF maps for starships under the "Future Armada" imprint.

We're expirimenting with dry erase vinyl rollup maps of these. So far, we only have a few prototype copies for sale. If you see us at Origins next week, we'll have them for sale.

If you can print them out and blow them up, "Critical Locations" for d20 Modern has some good maps, although they're marked with 5' squares rather than hexes.

Arctic Research Station

Bomb Shelter

Bowling Alley

Cemetery

Cineplex

City Hall

City Morgue & Forensics Lab

Convention Center

Corporate High-Rise Office Building

Fast Food Restaurant

Firehouse

Gothic Church

Grocery Store

Hotel Lobby with Fancy Restaurant

Lakeside Cottage

Large Family Residence

Large Metropolitan Bank

Luxury Yacht

Mansion

Municipal Library

Nightclub

Occult Shop

Pawnshop

Police Station

Public High School

Roadside Motel

Sleazy Bar

Small Apartment Building

TV and Radio News Broadcasting Station

Guest steamteck

I'm afraid I can't help with the dry-erase boards, although there are transparent plastic sheet protectors you can put paper maps into that will allow you to write with dry-erase markers over them.

Here's a little tip: Ki Ryn Studios publishes a series of PDF maps for starships under the "Future Armada" imprint. The different decks for the larger ships are set up as interlockable modular map tiles that can be configured different ways. Used with Maptool or Campaign Cartographer or other mapping software they are quite easy to use. While marketed as being for specific starships, they can easily configured into detailed (if slightly repetitive) maps of high-tech secret villain bases for Champions. Here is a sample map of a VIPER Nest I made from just one set of the tiles (Future Armada: Invictus):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43269[/ATTACH]

You can get these at Drive-Thru RPG: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/50121/Future-Armada%3A-Argos-III-%26-Invictus-%5BBUNDLE%5D.

I love future armada. Great idea about the screen capture. I used the same trick with the game Freedom force.