Using DEX instead of STR for precision attacks.

I have been GMing heroes now for almost a year, but I have recently run into a snag with converting something for one of my players. This player in my group wants to convert over a Feat from D&D. The feat states that using your Dex to make many precise attacks during your attack instead of Brute Strength to do the damage. We are looking for a way in this system to use a high dex to add in the damage to HtH attacks. He wants to remove the damage based off strength from his HtH attacks and add in damage based off his Dex.

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance for any help given.

Re: Using DEX instead of STR for precision attacks.

Simple way:

CSL or Weapon Master.

Those cost 0-End and are based on "skill", not brute Strenght.

Martial Arts is also a way.

Complex way:

I think one of the APG's has rules for that (changing what adds damage to an attack). But I never manage to find them when I search for them.

DEX is more expensive than STR, right?

I would put a "Based On DEX" (-1/2) Limitation on all the PC's attacks... and call it a new kind of Talent.

But DEX also costs no endurance to use. Also it now is harder to drain the "Damage increase Stat", so I would say they are at least equal.

But DEX also costs no endurance to use. Also it now is harder to drain the "Damage increase Stat"' date=' so I would say they are at least equal.[/quote']

Okay, and...

Don't forget STR minimums for weapons are still unchanged, and most weapons likewise have weight... so STR drains will still knock the PC on its butt & make weapon handling impossible.

What about "DEX Does Damage As STR" (+?), an Advantage placed directly on DEX? That sounds like a real Talent to me.

Is the feat he wants called Weapon Finesse?

If it is, I think you should buy STR equal to the value of the character's DEX with Inherent and 0 END Advantage as this STR should not be subject to adjustment powers nor should use any extra effort to use over his normal STR, Linked(proportional to DEX), Use normal STR score for STR Min, END use (-1/4), Only for Hand-to-Hand Damage(-1/2), & Only Unarmed or One-handed weapons(-1/2).

The idea behind it is that it acts as a STR replacement for your appropriate weapons(Weapon Finesse can only be used with a light weapon[unarmed is considered light], rapier, whip, or spiked chain made for a creature of your size category), can only be used with damaging your opponent and still requires the character's base STR Min to wield the weapon. Drains on DEX will still affect how much of this power's STR is used because of how linked works and it still respects the way Strength is used in the Hero System.

+Hand Attack, Requires DEX Roll.

End Result: He's doing Damage. That means buy something that does Damage. Base the amount he can add off of how much he makes the DEX Roll by. Buy the number of Hand Attack Dice equal to the maximum he can add.

You're running into an inherent system difference; that being D&D has Bonuses that are attached to each Characteristic, that are effectively completely interchangeable in the system; the Characteristics are all the same "cost" and each gives the same bonus at the same level. They are, for all intents and purposes, the same mechanic.

Hero has no such equivalent that is so universally adaptable. There is not "one mechanic that is a bonus based on Characteristic Score" so you have to look at the End Result: Doing Damage.

The best equivalent is Deadly Blow, or Weapon Master. Which are Talents that add directly to damage of a weapon in hand. The Special Effect being "my superior Dexterity allows me to do more damage."

EDIT: these meant to be one post, but my browser went wonky

I finnaly found the Rule I was searching for (and I noted above):

APG II 29, Killing Attack notes the option to use other Characteritics to add Damage. This is a "+0" if you just replace them. But a +1/4 if you can choose between both (STR or DEX). It even gives the Rapier/Weapon Finesse Weapons as example.

However, it is not really clear how the END cost would be and how many Dice DEX would add, but I asked this here:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/90129-Alternative-Characteristic-to-add-Damage

Weapon Finesse: (Total: 19 Active Cost, 13 Real Cost) Deadly Blow: +1d6 ([broad circumstances]) (19 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4), Linked to DEX (-1/4) (Real Cost: 13)

Lucius Alexander

Teaching a palindromedary the Joy of DEX

Not that it impacts any of the builds, but D&D Weapon Finesse allows DEX to be used for to hit rolls - it doesn't add damage. It must be some other feat as the OP is quite clear the object is to add damage using DEX.

So, according to Steve Long, every 5 DEX adds a DC, but since DEX costs two points every DC adds a point of END cost. That's doable in a Champions game, but that's going to be murder in a heroic game since every DC of DEX will add 2 points of END cost, on top of the END from the weapons STR Min.

This is especially annoying since by SFX precision damage should be less tiring than brute force. Which is why Martial Maneuvers and CSLs cost No END when they add damage.

Why does DEX cost two points again? Oh, right. Initiative. :doi:

Guess your going to have to put Reduced Endurance Cost on your DEX. It's certainly not going to be much, much cheaper to buy enough limited CSLs to add your DEX/5 in DCs, or even to buy more base damage on your HKA. :rolleyes: