Acquitaine [PDF] now available.

Jason S.Walters

Acquitaine: The Realm of the Summer King is now available.

PDF: $4.99

ESP-G-0001

Steven S. Long

39 Pages

Description: Asetting by Steven S. Long (d/b/a Elvensong Street Press) for FantasyHero 6th Edition. ACQUITAINE describes the kingdom of the same namefor Fantasy Hero. It’s part of the Tuala Morn setting, but can beused by itself or as part of another world. It covers the history,society, lands, and nobles of the “Summer Kingdom,” a magicsystem with several new spells, and six new monsters.

Re: Acquitaine [PDF] now available.

A quick update!

My friend Peter Corless, of Green Knight Publishing, saw Acquitaine and decided it could use a cover, so he very kindly whipped one up for me using a Creative Commons photo. So those of you who've already bought Acquitaine, if you want it with the cool new cover, just go download it again. Those of you who haven't bought it, get crackin'! ;)

This is rather off topic, but maybe the group could indulge me briefly (I'll try to be brief). Does anyone know the copyright rules on hand tracing or light box (literally shining a light under an image to make it easier to trace) an image? Because I thought that was legal for nearly any image. I'm thinking primarily of the Dover clip art books where Dover publishes copyright free material. Dover cleans those images up and therefore protects the image itself, but if the image is 200+ years old, they can't protect a hand drawing of the same thing, right?

Obviously, this doesn't apply to trademarks (so no tracings of Superman), or trade dress or "look and feel" sort of stuff. I realize some images are grey area. But in general I was just wondering for similar projects like Acquitaine what would be permissible.

OK if this is too far off topic let me know, I'll delete it and post it elsewhere...

• 2 weeks later...

Got it and like it a lot. Just prepping for my return to HERO after a dalliance with RuneQuest.

Interested to see that Clark Ashton Smith's Averoigne was one of the inspirations for Steve as I love it. There is something wonderfully dark and enchanting about forests. A list of the stories can be found on wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Averoigne

There are a couple of collected editions of Averoigne tales available although I'm not completely sure how complete they are nor whether they are still widely available. Arkham House published a hardcover edition in 2003 entitled "A Rendezvous in Averoigne" ISBN 0-87054-156-0. It contains four tales from Averoigne. Chaosium have published three collections of CAS tales: The Tsathoggua Cycle, The Book of Eibon, and The Klarkashton Cycle. Averoigne tales can be found spread across these books. A number of the Averoigne tales are also featured in "The Emperor of Dreams", which is a relatively cheap collection in paperback published as part of the Fantasy Masterwork series by Orion Books. Finally all the Averoigne tales should be found in The Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith, which is a five volume hardcover series published by Night Shade Books. The Worlds of Cthulhu magazine also featured Averoigne across several issues. Although the material was presented for the Call of Cthulhu RPG, there was some useful settings info including maps.

I'd recommend getting it to any fantasy fan. I have (I think) all the Clark Averoigne stories, either in the collection The Emperor of Dreams or in several tatty paperbacks with garish covers (Lost worlds, Tales of Science and Sorcery, etc). I think they are my favourite stories of his. I also drew pretty heavily on them for the initial phase of my last campaign, especially two stories The Maker of Gargoyles and The Mother of Toads.

cheers, Mark

If you're willing to go to the work, you can track down the text of all the Averoigne stories online and print them out (that's what I did, just to make sure I had a complete collection). But assuming the Grant Books collection is still in the works that's probably not necessary, provided you're willing to wait. ;)