Announcement: The Monster Hunter International RPG!

Steve Long

Larry Correia and Hero Games are pleased to announce that they’re teaming up to produce a fan’s guide to and roleplaying game set in Correia’s “Monster Hunter International” setting, tentatively entitled The Monster Hunter International Employee’s Handbook And Roleplaying Game.

The MHIEHRPG will be a full-color, hardcover book approximately 300 pages long. It will be written by award-winning RPG writer/designer Steven S. Long and will include a full version of Hero Games’s HERO System rules specifically tailored for playing in the MHI setting. Fans won’t have to buy any other books to play the game; the MHIEHRPG will have everything they need for hours of exciting adventure!

“I’ve played roleplaying games for many years, and I’m thrilled to be able to bring the world of MHI into the roleplaying game arena,” said Correia, the author of three best-selling MHI novels (his fourth MHI book, Monster Hunter Legion, debuts in September). “I think the HERO System offers the perfect level of flexibility and detail for MHI adventures.”

“All of us here at Hero Games are big fans of Larry’s books, and we’re really looking forward to bringing the world of MHI to roleplaying gamers,” said Jason Walters, General Manager of Hero. “The book’s going to be a fantastic, full-color resource about the world of MHI.”

“The MHIEHRPG will have a lot to offer any MHI fan, even if he’s not a roleplaying gamer,” said Long. “It’s going to include information on how MHI trains its agents and carries out its missions, how the PUFF bounty system works, background information on major characters, and much more. If you like the MHI novels, you’re going to want the Employee’s Handbook.

Best of all for MHI fans, the MHIEHRPG will include all-new MHI fiction written by Larry Correia! Each chapter of the book begins with a piece of short MHI fiction that Correia will write especially for the MHIEHRPG.

Correia and Hero plan to fund the work through a Kickstarter project scheduled to begin October 1, 2012. “We think Kickstarter is the perfect way to bring this book to life,” said Walters. “It gives the fans a chance to learn more about the book, show their support, and earn some great rewards in the process. We’re still deciding on some of the rewards, but we know the highest support tiers will include the chance to appear as a character in a future MHI novel.”

To learn more about Larry Correia and Monster Hunter International, please visit Correia’s blog at http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com. To learn more about Hero Games and the HERO System, please visit http://www.herogames.com.

Re: Announcement: The Monster Hunter International RPG!

I have no idea what this is, but I am intrigued by your ideas, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Seriously, I'm never read any of the MHI books, but they have good reviews on Amazon (even glowing reviews) so it looks like I may have to check this out.

I love the MHI series and am happy that a Licenced Property will be coming to the Hero System. I am a fan of the books and have read all of them. So a RPG sourcebook of the world would be great.

As I said in the Champions Complete thread. I am not as thrilled by having the rules take up a part of the book. I DO understand that in this case it will probably help sales (esp with no core rule books on sale currently). I will suspend judgement in this case and will buy the book for the other bits (which hopefully will have as big or bigger page count than the rules). I just can't shake the feeling that Hero is going back to the old days of the game where we have many slightly different versions of the rules customized to a particular setting.

I understand and sympathize with your position, Tasha. But the more recent model of core rulebook + supplements seems to have taken us as far as it can, and isn't working as well any more. Perhaps the "old days" are new again, and will have broader appeal for the current market. Only time will tell.

I was going to be getting this, because it sounded interesting.

Then I took a look at Correia's blog.

I've now decided he's going to get none of my money.

Sorry, Hero Games folks.

As a person with a very Left of Center Philosophy, I have to say that if I ended up caring what the politics of my authors were. I would be missing a ton of fun books. David Weber, John Ringo are both very right wing authors and their politics do come though their writing. I also thoroughly enjoy everything both of those writers write. Now, Larry Correia might have different politics from me. I do say that he writes a VERY fun series of book with his Monster Hunter International series. I don't get the sense of political bias (Beyond not liking Gun Control) from the first 2 books in the series. Though I admit that I tend to ignore most things like that. The only thing that will really turn me against an author is Blatant Homophobia, Misogyny, and or Racism (from a modern author). When I read "classics" those things annoy me, but I tend to write them off as a "thought process from the past". On top of that, I find it's useful to know how other people think. It allows me to look at my beliefs and double check them, and also to try to see where other's come to their particular viewpoints.

I understand and sympathize with your position' date=' Tasha. But the more recent model of core rulebook + supplements seems to have taken us as far as it can, and isn't working as well any more. Perhaps the "old days" are new again, and will have broader appeal for the current market. Only time will tell.[/quote']

This also brings up the question of How customized will MHI Hero be. Will the Customizations be just in prebuilt powers/eqipment and not printing rules that don't work for the genre (ie Knockback).

Also will those customizations cause yet another character type in Hero Designer? We have 5e Hero, Super, 6e Heroic, Super, now we will be getting 6e Champs Complete Super. Will we also end up with HMI Heroic as a default setting in HD? I am really hoping that we get a collection of Prefabs and NPC Writeups for HD.

Also the annoying thing about the Old HS rulebook + GenreBook was that the book was like 2/3 rehashed rules and only 1/3 genre book which led to the books not having much fluff to hang a game off of.

I will be backing this Kickstarter when it goes up. I'll back it at whatever level gets me the most goodies (inc PDF, Printed book and hopefully HD Templates/Prefab etc).

I am posting these objections so Hero Games will know what will cause me to not buy a book in the future. I DO understand that in this marketplace that having the rules along with the background is better to gain new player converts. Buying one book that has everything included is perceived as a much better value than a Genre Book + RuleBook(s).

As I said in the Champions Complete thread. I am not as thrilled by having the rules take up a part of the book. I DO understand that in this case it will probably help sales (esp with no core rule books on sale currently). I will suspend judgement in this case and will buy the book for the other bits (which hopefully will have as big or bigger page count than the rules). I just can't shake the feeling that Hero is going back to the old days of the game where we have many slightly different versions of the rules customized to a particular setting.

In the same boat as Tasha.... not pleased by the bundling of rules and setting. I've found that over the years I target generic systems (Hero, Savage Worlds, kinda GURPS ... don't like GURPS much) because of the one rulebook covering multiple settings. I typically stop buying books when I'm sold the rules again (White Wolf).

Now if the rules are really customized then maybe.

Too bad I've had MHI on my list since reading his other books the Grimnoir Chronicles.

Another good news! I will pledge for this one too. As for the book containing the rules, I am pleased as long as the rules are specifically tuned for the game. For me it means lots of pre-built abilities and talents, a tuned up skill list if needed (with regards also to KS, PS and such), spelledout complications and obviously templates. Heck, if the pre-built abilities and talents are extensive enough, I would not even mind if the power section is removed (or very much condensed). Most "outside HERO and such games" players are expecting shopping lists of abilities instead of building systems anyway. For those wanting more customization power, there is 6E and CC. It would makeme feel that I buy an already constructed game instead of buying the same engine all over again and yet would still provide all the flexibility of the system under the hood.

On these board I am pretty sure I am a minority but in the outside world, not so sure...

Posted my reply on Larry's site awhile back. Been there (and a fan) a long time anyway and our politics synch well though political stuff is never a factor with me if I'm going to buy a product or a book or go out for entertainment.

So count me in for the project. It will be a good one and the more HERO stuff that gets out there the better. If anything now it will give me ONE book to carry out to the cons to run my MHI events as opposed to a Bag of books......and a few 5 subject notebooks etc etc etc....

~Rex

Eh, I like the series, but the main character (several of them really) have major attitude problems (i.e. they're jerks), and the writing is weakened by the obvious author bias.

Still fun reads, but they would be better if an axe wasn't obviously being ground. Grinded? No. Ground. Definitely NOT grounded, though you probably should generally ground your axes instead of grounding them.

Ok, I'll stop. I don't want to run it into the ground...

So to be clear' date=' is this going to be a Kickstarter book or is DOJ, Inc. I just want to know if I should stop looking for it at kickstarter.[/quote']

Correia and Hero plan to fund the work through a Kickstarter project scheduled to begin October 1' date=' 2012.[/quote']

:)

So to be clear, is this going to be a Kickstarter book or is DOJ, Inc. I just want to know if I should stop looking for it at kickstarter.

It is going to be a Kickstarter, but it's not scheduled to start until October 1. We decided to go ahead and announce it so folks could start saving their pennies, and in the case of Hero fans who hadn't yet heard about MHI, read the books! :)

Here's kind of an off the wall question: Is this "Storm Lords?" Do you still plan on doing a separate Storm Lords RPG? And perhaps will it be a supplement to MHI?

Because the premises seem somewhat similar; I'm thinking that two "Big Guns plus Fantasy" RPGs would fit rather naturally together.

I just can't shake the feeling that Hero is going back to the old days of the game where we have many slightly different versions of the rules customized to a particular setting.

Wait a minute: isn't that what toolkitting is all about - customizing the base rules to work for the setting, genre, or campaign?