What elements should a great superhero setting contain?

humantorch101

I am throwing a very broad question at you guys, what elements (heroes,villains,groups,places,items,organisations) should a great superhero universe/setting perhaps contain?

I am looking for ideas and inspiration, are there certain hero or villain homages or archetypes that just have to be present? what type of superhero groups or support organisations? Alien races or strange places? fictional cities or powerful items?

List one element per post and lets get creative!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What elements should a great superhero setting contain?

Modern-day Nazis. Not pathetic white supremacist gang types, but genuine died-in-the-wool, jack-booting, fascistically organized, fanatical, aspiring world conquerors. Direct or spiritual descendants of the originals, perhaps with a broader philosophy, and a charismatic, ruthless, yet brilliant leader.

At least one alien tyrant. Ruthless master of a planet, dimension, or even interstellar empire. Possessed of great power and resources, with ambition and plans to make himself master of all. Typically Earth is the one thing standing in his way, or possesses the key element to bring his plans to fruition.

Cosmic beings. Generally possessed of more power than superheroes can defeat through brute force, they may be threats to the whole Earth whose weakness the heroes must discover; or they can make superheroes (and villains) pawns in games they play for their amusement or more inscrutable motives.

Human looking aliens who have incredible powers.

Good Aliens who recruit humans into their multi-species alliance while granting them powers.

A powerful super agent organization that works both with and against the heroes.

A shadowy government agency that recruits villains for special missions in exchange for clemency.

Ancient Mythological Beings who become superheroes/villains.

The easy availability of hand held blaster weapons, force field devices, exotic power sources, along side with sleep gas, knock out darts, and good old fashioned chloroform.

One group of superhumans shunned by humanity forces them to operate undercover to save innocents.

Every superhero universe sould have a suport mechanism for its heros. Heros need people they could turn to. Perhaps this could be other heros. Alo I think a great arch vilon like Lex Luthor or The Joker would be essential. Maybe even a few surprises thrown in.

Costumes. The lack of costumes in modern superhero fiction is a case of "too cool for school" mentality.

Agreed. Hopefully the success of recent serious superhero movies, with costumes in all their colorful symbolic glory, will push that trend through all the media.

The real question is just how powerful a campaign do you wish to run?

The ones that i have had the greatest success/happiness in emulates reality in a minor way. Here are some things that i believe goes into a good story/campaign:

1) While i do believe that aliens exist, none have currently visited Earth, so i would not bring in aliens (except those that come from another country :whistle:).

2) If secret societies exist then they would need to obtain funding from private funds (if they get public funds then the public can find out about them - although that could be extremely difficult).

3) If mutants are introduced (give rational?)

A) Does the public know?

a) If yes, are they accepted or rejected by the mainstream population?

B) If no, how do they hide themselves?

B) Is there a method of detecting mutants & how does it work?

C) How "out-there" are mutant powers/abilities allowed to get - only minor variations on normal humans, low-level comics, "standard" comics, high-powered comics?

4) Advanced tech - what is the nature of such? Who has it (gov, corp, indiv)?

Hope that this helps you in creating your campaign. My two cents only - hope that it helps.

Costumes can be functional and still look good. Batman's costume in the Dark Knight is a good example (although I think Christian Bale's head may be a touch off center). There is nothing wrong with Black Canary wearing bulletproof fishnets.

The Greatest Hero of Them All. This can be the first superhero in the world, the most powerful, the most respected, or some combination of the above. But he (or she) needs to be the shining example that others look up to, and who sets the standard they are compared to. This can be a PC or an NPC, depending on the setting, but either way, he should fulfill the role of the Hero above all others.