What elements should a great superhero setting contain?

humantorch101

Re: What elements should a great superhero setting contain?

Golden Age and Sinanju have brought up innocents, which makes me think of another thing a Superhero Universe needs.

An Infrastructure.

The world must have accepted the existence of superpowered people. This doesn't mean approval. A campaign can get along very well if your heroes are the first, or there are only a few. But regardless of numbers or how popular superhumans should be considered real. The reaction to them in society would depend on the actions of those with powers.

If they are like Superman, Wonder Woman, or Captain Marvel, those true blue heroes who save innocent lives, then society will more quickly come to accept them. On the other hand, those who use their powers to main or kill, like the Watchmen, then society would reject them.

Acceptance means superheroes become like celebrities. Songs are written about them, movies tell their "true" life stories, there are TMZ ("The Hero Zone?") like shows following their exploits. Hostility means harsh criminal sentences for being a superhero, possibly even psychological commitment.

So who would you rather be, the Justice League, or the Watchmen?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superhero Teams

There should be groups of superheroes, each with a different style/objective/tactics. Some would be a mix of members with various powers and abilities (Justice League/Avengers), while others would have a common power source/origin (X-Men being Mutants, and Teen Titans being Sidekicks).

Teams in comic books -- at least the successful ones -- all seem to have a common theme which makes each team distinctive. You have the surrogate family (Fantastic Four), the misunderstood/ outcast heroes (X-Men, Doom Patrol), the heirs to the previous generation (Infinity Inc.), the new kids on the block (New Warriors), and so on. Most settings also include a team like the Avengers or the Justice League, an "all-star" elite group who together make up the world's greatest heroes.

Not sure exactly how to state this, but "The ability to adapt to lasting changes." Nothing bugs me more in tv/comics/movies etc when one episode something is destroyed, built, remodeled and the next issue/episode its back to the old way. Also, if you have a huge fight that destroys half of downtown, it shouldn't be back up and running the next day. These sorts of wounds take time to heal.

Psyber624 had a great point.

Marvel is better at that kind of Continuity the DC. With DC is was purely episodic, while Marvel had an entire universe effected by actions taken in other titles. But DC had a more friendly and stable environment for superheroes.

So we're looking for A Silver Age DC World With Marvel Continuity and a Touch a Realism.

I vaguely remembered one TV show (I think it was The Tick, but I could be wrong) that got this right and always made me smile. In one of the early episodes a villain builds a laser and starts writing or drawing something on the moon. EVERY time we saw the moon after that you could still see the drawing/writing (including the squiggle at the end where the hero knocked the laser off target). Every time I saw that moon I smiled.

I like the idea of Joxer class villains and heroes. They make good sidekicks.

The master villain will have a "Smithers" to help his feel superior, and carry out high risk tasks. They could have some skills, though not combat oriented.

New heroes, even if they're not teenagers, could cause the Superheroes a great deal of trouble having to save them all the time.

Lois and Jimmy fall in to this category.

Superheroes Rules of Engagement

1. Protect the Innocent

2. Use Minimum force necessary

3. Cooperate with the Authorities

Superheroes (Those with Powers) and Crime Fighters (Those without powers) who follow the rules of engagement will earn respect from the authorities and public support. Those who don't are vigilantes and will be hunted by superheroes.