The Monster Age!

assault

Instead of working on my Australian super-villains, I've been sidetracked into thinking about a campaign inspired by Marvel's pre-Fantastic Four monster comics and GURPS Atomic Horror. I thought I should write it up and share it.

Setting: the 1950s. The Atomic Age. The beginning of the Space Age. The Cold War. About a decade after the end of World War II.

The heroes: Well, the ultimate team would actually be the Challengers of the Unknown, but I want a team with powers. The FF would be suitable too, but I want something more Avengers-like.

Two characters come to mind. First, the Hulk. He's a monster in his own right - just a heroic one. Who better to fight a monster than another monster?

Second, a monster fighting scientist and explorer. Marvel had such a character - the unnamed blonde scientist who was eventually named as Hank Pym and made a superhero - Ant-Man. This is a rare case where someone who develops superpowers doesn't go mad and try to take over the world.

Obviously there would be a temptation to have the interaction between them being similar to that between Reed Richards and Ben Grimm - that's perfectly fine.

Female characters are a little trickier. This is the 50s.

I don't want characters with derivative powers, so characters modelled on the Wasp and Sue Storm are out.

A cross between Lois Lane and Black Canary would work. After all, the world can be a dangerous place for a single girl, so learning Judo is a good idea. And Plucky Girl Reporters can go anywhere. Wearing a costume and a mask is a bit dubious though, and should probably be left for later. Patsy Walker would be another suitable influence.

Finally, you can't go wrong with a Jungle Girl. (Actually, you can go very wrong with a Jungle Girl, but that's another story). Personally, I would go with a character influenced by the Australian published Kazanda. She would have psychic abilities that would give her a role in the team separate from the Girl Reporter. Lost Worlds are a legitimate part of the setting, or she could even be from Venus (or an alien Jungle World if you insist on a "realistic" Venus).

And by the way, how did she maintain her hair and nails in such perfect condition in the jungle? Her fondness for dressing like a circus performer would cause a certain amount of disapproval in certain social circles, but the fact that she has the body of a pin-up girl would attract approval in others.

Because I'm still in the framework of my Australian setting, four heroes would be enough.

Villains: For the moment, I'll only go with about 6. Most of them are pretty much masterminds anyway.

1. The leftover Nazi. Remember, WW2 was only about a decade ago. A hardline Nazi could still be trying to reverse the outcome, through Mad Science!

2. The Silver Age Commie mastermind. Basically the same as the Nazi, but with different symbolism.

3. The Femme Fatale. Works for the Commie mastermind. Basically the Black Widow. Will our heroic scientist fall for her charms? What does the Plucky Reporter think about her?

4. The Alien Queen. Commands a fleet of UFOs, an army of robots, giant monsters and all the Mad Scientists you could ever want. She has plans for conquering Earth. Just hope she doesn't resort to Plan 9... She might have a special grudge with the Jungle Girl if the latter is an alien. Why?

5. Some scientists just don't know enough not to mess with things Man Was Not Meant To Know. And some do it deliberately...

6. An innocent lizard was caught in the blast of a nuclear test. We had better hope she wasn't pregnant, and that Our Heroes can prevent her from reaching Adelaide... Or Tokyo, of course.

Re: The Monster Age!

Incidentally, all this does tie in well with my Australian setting.

Australia was the scene of British nuclear testing, and fallout from French atmospheric tests in the Pacific reached here as well.

Woomera was the site of extensive missile testing.

I have to admit that Australia doesn't seem like a prime target for the Nazi and Commie masterminds, but it's likely that either of them could have secret island bases, and in any case Our Heroes are likely to encounter them no matter where they are carrying out their Nefarious Plans.

I have to admit that Australia doesn't seem like a prime target for the Nazi and Commie masterminds' date=' but it's likely that either of them could have secret island bases, and in any case Our Heroes are likely to encounter them no matter where they are carrying out their Nefarious Plans.[/quote']If you're going to RISK your armies on world domination, Australia is a safer place to start.

You could have a remnant or two of Australia's top secret super-soldier project for hero sources, a project so secret that they never announced any successes. For a laugh, you could have their one success be a woman, a fast Brick-type. Maybe she was cryo-preserved during the early years of the war, so never saw action.

You could have a remnant or two of Australia's top secret super-soldier project for hero sources' date=' a project so secret that they never announced any successes. For a laugh, you could have their one success be a woman, a fast Brick-type. Maybe she was cryo-preserved during the early years of the war, so never saw action.[/quote']

Ouch. I'm going for an Atomic Horror vibe here, so that probably wouldn't end well.

I have to admit that Australia doesn't seem like a prime target for the Nazi and Commie masterminds' date=' but it's likely that either of them could have secret island bases, and in any case Our Heroes are likely to encounter them no matter where they are carrying out their Nefarious Plans.[/quote']At the end of WW2, there was a German U-boat transporting some secret material to the Japanese that never reached its destination. While the cargo was most likely German technology and blueprints (V2's, jet engines, etc.), you could always modify the cargo to suit your campaign needs as well as how the Germans arrived.

For an Aussie based campaign wouldn't it be more like a Fu Manchu or an Imperial Japanese Mad Scientist?

I considered that.

The first thing is that the Australian-based part is optional, and was something I bolted on retrospectively. That doesn't prevent the change from being made though. Nazis are, after all, somewhat overused.

However.... I tend to avoid Yellow Peril villains. They are in genre, and many real 1950s Australians were convinced that the Indonesians and/or Chinese were going to invade at any moment, but I'm reluctant to pander to that kind of stupidity. For the record, Australian troops fought the Chinese in Korea, and the Indonesians in Malaya. That's while sending troops to occupied Japan, and a few years before sending troops to Vietnam.

Maybe I should create an Australian mastermind, plotting to overthrow the governments of Asian countries. ;)

Second, a monster fighting scientist and explorer. Marvel had such a character - the unnamed blonde scientist who was eventually named as Hank Pym and made a superhero - Ant-Man. This is a rare case where someone who develops superpowers doesn't go mad and try to take over the world.

*SNIP*

I don't want characters with derivative powers, so characters modelled on the Wasp and Sue Storm are out.

Okay, this is kinda off-the-wall... but how about a scientist modelled after the one in the movie The Fly? Not the 1986 Jeff Goldblum remake, but the original 1958 film? As something of an odd-couple partnership, you could have both forms -- the fly-headed insect man, and the tiny human-headed fly -- working together. If you want a female character you could adapt the Pym/ Van Dyne dynamic, with the tiny insect as the scientist's wife or girlfriend.

4. The Alien Queen. Commands a fleet of UFOs, an army of robots, giant monsters and all the Mad Scientists you could ever want. She has plans for conquering Earth. Just hope she doesn't resort to Plan 9... She might have a special grudge with the Jungle Girl if the latter is an alien. Why?

Why? Because they're sisters. Trust me. I have their long form birth certificates around here somewhere.