Rules You Didn't Know Until Champions Complete

Armitage

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Rules You Didn't Know Until Champions Complete

Never said it WAS a house rule. You just assumed that.
Actually, I deduced it was "essentially what the rules state." The House Rule comment was tongue in cheek. (Hence the very obvious wink/grin emoticon.) Sorry if that hurt your feelings. :shrug:

Actually' date=' I deduced it was "essentially what the rules state." The House Rule comment was tongue in cheek. (Hence the very obvious wink/grin emoticon.) Sorry if that hurt your feelings. :shrug:[/quote']

It didn't hurt my feelings. :Shrug:

How about we agree to stop poking at one another? Joking even with emoticons don't always translate as well from text.

As a side note' date=' bare-fisting a knight in armor is actually in the realm of possibility if one is committed enough and willing to live with ugly calcium deposits on your hands. When I was younger, I used to bare knuckle train on punching bags in the gym until I bled. My co-worker (who worked out there as well) always thought I was crazy to not protect them with wrappings or gloves, but it toughened them enough that by the time I was able to consistently throw 100 punches in a minute, I was also able to tear the stitching of the bags. I was told to stop after that and alas, I didn't continue elsewhere, but had I done so and followed the proper routine, punching steel would have eventually been on my "hit list."[/quote']

Similarly, by the time I was a year into shootfighting I had thick callouses on my knuckles from doing knuckle pushups on bare concrete three times a week. I have also seen pictorial evidence of karate masters who took this practice to such an extreme that their knuckles were all perfectly even--when they made a fist their knuckles formed a perfectly flat striking surface going all the way across the hand.

Back on topic, given that bricks often use scenery as improvised weapons on each other in the comics, there must be an in-genre reason for them to do so, and we'd want to define this in the rules. Hitting Kirby in the face with a car must do something other than just STR damage or I probably wouldn't bother. Similarly, if it just does haymaker damage, I still probably wouldn't bother. It must do something different such that it is useful in certain circumstances, yet not so advantageous that I would walk around with a bandolier of cars to use in case melee breaks out.

I think the real issue is we're trying to apply a one-size-fits-all solution to a situation that calls for more flexibility. There are lots of improvised weapon tropes:

- Picking up a bottle, presumably to inflict more damage.

- Throwing the bottle, which gives an inaccurate ranged STR attack.

- Hitting a martial artist with a car, presumably because it's easier to hit with.

- Hitting a bunch of mooks with a car, presumably because it's area effect.

- Hitting another brick with a car, presumably for the damage bonus.

- Using a lamppost or street sign to sweep a martial artist or a bunch of mooks.

- Every Jackie Chan movie ever made.

Ultimately what these all boil down to, IMO, is spending a phase to gain approximately +1/2 in advantages on your STR. Whether that shows up as AOE, or additional damage, or +OCV, or +OCV for grabs, or ranged, or armor piercing, or knockback or whatever, probably boils down to intent and the nature of the improvised weapon. I'd probably handwave it in game as taking 0.5*STR in points and applying it as either +OCV or +DC in 5-point increments, with the +DC limited by the DEF+BODY of the object. But the +1/2 advantage would be the overriding guideline.

My game has an in game statistic called PDR, or Property Damage Rating. Literally, it's a raw number based on how many superbattles a city or region has in a year divided by the number of raw dollars of property damage caused. Unsurprisingly, it was developed by insurance companies. The rating doesn't really affect the heroes. It does, however, affect the amount that people pay for insurance in a city where those heroes live.

The San Diego Knights have the highest PDR. If you obey the rules for destruction of walls and floors properly, once their brick destroyed 16 blocks of road when he crashed into the pavement. This was hilarious in-game, but the in-game consequences were pretty severe.

Must Spread Rep. Someone get him for me.

Similarly, by the time I was a year into shootfighting I had thick callouses on my knuckles from doing knuckle pushups on bare concrete three times a week. I have also seen pictorial evidence of karate masters who took this practice to such an extreme that their knuckles were all perfectly even--when they made a fist their knuckles formed a perfectly flat striking surface going all the way across the hand.

Back on topic, given that bricks often use scenery as improvised weapons on each other in the comics, there must be an in-genre reason for them to do so, and we'd want to define this in the rules. Hitting Kirby in the face with a car must do something other than just STR damage or I probably wouldn't bother. Similarly, if it just does haymaker damage, I still probably wouldn't bother. It must do something different such that it is useful in certain circumstances, yet not so advantageous that I would walk around with a bandolier of cars to use in case melee breaks out.

I think the real issue is we're trying to apply a one-size-fits-all solution to a situation that calls for more flexibility. There are lots of improvised weapon tropes:

- Picking up a bottle, presumably to inflict more damage.

- Throwing the bottle, which gives an inaccurate ranged STR attack.

- Hitting a martial artist with a car, presumably because it's easier to hit with.

- Hitting a bunch of mooks with a car, presumably because it's area effect.

- Hitting another brick with a car, presumably for the damage bonus.

- Using a lamppost or street sign to sweep a martial artist or a bunch of mooks.

- Every Jackie Chan movie ever made.

Ultimately what these all boil down to, IMO, is spending a phase to gain approximately +1/2 in advantages on your STR. Whether that shows up as AOE, or additional damage, or +OCV, or +OCV for grabs, or ranged, or armor piercing, or knockback or whatever, probably boils down to intent and the nature of the improvised weapon. I'd probably handwave it in game as taking 0.5*STR in points and applying it as either +OCV or +DC in 5-point increments, with the +DC limited by the DEF+BODY of the object. But the +1/2 advantage would be the overriding guideline.