A Roman Superhuman Age?

Steve

This was something I was thinking about this morning, about how the Superhuman Age of the 20th-21st centuries could translate to other times.

For example, imagine the Superhuman Age of the Champions Universe instead beginning during the height of the Roman Republic, complete with analogs of Champions Universe characters revised to fit the setting, kind of like what Marvel did with their "1602" series.

What might the Champions be like in that setting?

Interesting concept.

My first thought is the Roman Pantheon of gods. Were they actually immortal beings or were they in fact Super Powered Beings of that time who the people deitifed due to their powers.

Also the Titans (Although Greek I believe have an allegory in Roman Mythology) could be a group who oppose the gods, who are the villians and who are the heroes would be an interesting question to answer. The difference between the two groups could be related the Famlies and the source of their powers. The mythical beings were renowned for having extended families within the hundreds (Family does not mean Blood-Relationship Only).

I will think on it some more.

Interesting concept. My first thought is the Roman Pantheon of gods. Were they actually immortal beings or were they in fact Super Powered Beings of that time who the people deitifed due to their powers.

Given the social and theological attitudes of the classical era, the most powerful of such beings could hardly be taken as anything other than divine, or at least having divine blood. OTOH lesser supers could be treated as the equivalent of the lesser heroes of legend.

As for the current Champions lineup, Witchcraft would need little if any change. Magic isn't really era-dependent, and the Roman Empire featured many cults and secret societies. Ironclad's origin from an advanced alien society would also translate pretty well intact. His gladiatorial career could even continue under Rome. NIghthawk is a highly-trained vigilante with gimmick weapons, so he could also translate. Given the less sophisticated martial arts of the era, he'd probably rely more on weapons than his modern analogue.

Defender I could see as a wealthy nobleman and technological genius, like Daedalus or Archimedes. His equipment could have been inspired by salvaged alien tech, like the Warlord in the modern-day Champions Universe. Any of the scientific heroes and villains of the CU could be justified in that way, although their power should probably be reduced given their humbler scientific beginnings, and the less powerful governmental opposition they would face.

Also the Titans (Although Greek I believe have an allegory in Roman Mythology) could be a group who oppose the gods' date=' who are the villians and who are the heroes would be an interesting question to answer. The difference between the two groups could be related the Famlies and the source of their powers. The mythical beings were renowned for having extended families within the hundreds (Family does not mean Blood-Relationship Only). I will think on it some more.[/quote']

"Titans" could be a generic term for powerful supernatural beings who involved themselves in mortal affairs before the gods forced them into hiding. For example, DEMON could have been formed with the goal of freeing the Titans. VIPER's patron could be considered a Titan, as could the Dragon worshipped by one or more cults under the names of its various avatars, e.g. Typhon or Echidna.

Generally speaking, it would probably be easier for superpowered beings to operate openly in this era. Law-enforcement lacked the electronic efficiency and connectivity of today, and there were plenty of wilderness areas to hide in, or even carve out one's own private domain.

Interesting concept. My first thought is the Roman Pantheon of gods. Were they actually immortal beings or were they in fact Super Powered Beings of that time who the people deitifed due to their powers.

Given the social and theological attitudes of the classical era, the most powerful of such beings could hardly be taken as anything other than divine, or at least having divine blood. OTOH lesser supers could be treated as the equivalent of the lesser heroes of legend.

As for the current Champions lineup, Witchcraft would need little if any change. Magic isn't really era-dependent, and the Roman Empire featured many cults and secret societies. Ironclad's origin from an advanced alien society would also translate pretty well intact. His gladiatorial career could even continue under Rome. NIghthawk is a highly-trained vigilante with gimmick weapons, so he could also translate. Given the less sophisticated martial arts of the era, he'd probably rely more on weapons than his modern analogue.

Defender I could see as a wealthy nobleman and technological genius, like Daedalus or Archimedes. His equipment could have been inspired by salvaged alien tech, like the Warlord in the modern-day Champions Universe. Any of the scientific heroes and villains of the CU could be justified in that way, although their power should probably be reduced given their humbler scientific beginnings, and the less powerful governmental opposition they would face.

Also the Titans (Although Greek I believe have an allegory in Roman Mythology) could be a group who oppose the gods' date=' who are the villians and who are the heroes would be an interesting question to answer. The difference between the two groups could be related the Famlies and the source of their powers. The mythical beings were renowned for having extended families within the hundreds (Family does not mean Blood-Relationship Only). I will think on it some more.[/quote']

"Titans" could be a generic term for powerful supernatural beings who involved themselves in mortal affairs before the gods forced them into hiding. For example, DEMON could have been formed with the goal of freeing the Titans. VIPER's patron could be considered a Titan, as could the Dragon worshipped by one or more cults under the names of its various avatars, e.g. Typhon or Echidna.

Generally speaking, it would probably be easier for superpowered beings to operate openly in this era. Law-enforcement lacked the electronic efficiency and connectivity of today, and there were plenty of wilderness areas to hide in, or even carve out one's own private domain.

I like the ideas you've presented here, LL.

Having DEMON work with the Titans is an interesting variation on their setup. It could work like a secret cult among Roman society.

While the gods of Rome are more likely to be active in a Superhuman Age version of the time, they might be preoccupied with dealing with other pantheons.

Defender's secret ID could be something like a layabout son of a Roman Tribune, using scavenged alien tech to create his suit.

Those are exactly the sort of ideas I was thinking of. Kudos!

LL's ideas are excellent.

Some of my thoughts: when in Roman history? There were massive changes between different periods. This impacts on things like culture, religion, geographical scope, who the villains are, and so on.

Attila was called the Scourge of God in our reality - what would that imply in a super-Rome? What would Christian Rome think of the superheroes that are trying to stop him? This is all very different from the Rome of Augustus and Nero, just as it is different from the early Republic.

Gauis Grandiloquos was born special, and his grandmother never let him forget it.

At age 13 he was deemed Scion of Jupiter, and awarded the full armor of a soldier.

His great power of Felix and Aquila (4d6 of Luck, Flight and +5 Perception) made

him an invaluable vanguard for the Legions, who wanted to proclaim him Emperor,

but he declined, famously saying We are not become Rome, We but serve Rome.

A Kickstarter was launched late last year for the Savage Worlds game with a similar theme. It wasn't a success but they may well try again in the future.

I took a look at it. It's interesting, but from what I read the setting is Europe of 1102 AD.

LL's ideas are excellent.

Some of my thoughts: when in Roman history? There were massive changes between different periods. This impacts on things like culture, religion, geographical scope, who the villains are, and so on.

Attila was called the Scourge of God in our reality - what would that imply in a super-Rome? What would Christian Rome think of the superheroes that are trying to stop him? This is all very different from the Rome of Augustus and Nero, just as it is different from the early Republic.

If I go with the time frame of my original post, I'm thinking about 100 BC, while the Republic still existed, before it became the Empire. Perhaps someone who was more of a historian might suggest a different era of Roman rule. Setting it during the height of the Roman Empire would be another possibility.

I would imagine that it would mostly play out like a fantasy hero game. Just set in a roman setting.

The power level would be the real question. Do you want to character playing as gods? If so, you are probably going to go full champions level. But you might find that something like a dark champions power level might be more interesting.

For a full powered 350-400 point champions character they would be functionally immune to threat from a 'normal' person or even a trained soldier of that era. Not immune to one or two, but easily immune to entire companies if not armies. They would truly be Godlike sweeping entire battlefields of normal people, only able to be opposed by other gods.

But I think you will find the setting more interesting if you played a character that was a bit above the cut with a few lower level super powers. At that level 'minions' could still threaten a player at least to the point where they couldn't just be ignored. They might function as a 'champion' of the army or the champions of a nation, yet not replace an army.

Of course, there might be something to be said for playing a god...

Back in 2005, someone posted a request for an alternate history in which the Roman Empire fell during the lifetime of Jesus. Some people made good suggestions about working in Arthurian legendry. I would have liked to contribute, but couldn't get the forum of that time to let me post! So I never got a chance to share this little bit of foolery. It may supply some loosely-relevant inspiration for a Roman Champions campaign, though

------------

Somebody had a good point about the need for the alternate history to be good for a supers game. So let’s see what sort of alternate 21st century we can get that’s suitable for an exciting adventure. How about High Fantasy? Any resemblance to a well-known Fantasy epic is purely intentional.

We have two conditions: The Roman Empire collapsed when it was barely begun, and Jesus was important enough to be remembered 20 centuries later. The collapse isn’t too difficult. Just let Julius and Octavian/Augustus have a few more problems, and the nascent empire can tear itself apart in the reign of Tiberius, during the life of Jesus, or in the reign of Caligula, if you want Jesus to live longer.

Now for Jesus himself. Since comic-book universes have real supernatural forces, the Crucifixion still happens eventually and Christianity spreads: That’s a Divine Plan. It could take a different form, though.

So here’s a scenario for an alternate Christianity, bringing in the Arthurian suggestions other people made. In 33 AD, Pontius Pilate is stranded by a crumbling empire and caught in a three-way power struggle with Herod and the Judean religious establishment. He decides not to give in to the bloody natives: If they see him back down now, his authority vanishes. He pardons the popular street preacher who has everyone in a tizzy. Curious, he talks more to Jesus, and likes what he hears. He gives Jesus a secretary to write down his actual words. Several years later, however, Pilate faces rebellion within his own ranks from underlings who think he listens too much to Jesus. The Crucifixion happens through a cabal of Pharisees and Roman rebels. Pilate, Joseph of Arimathea and a group of Jesus’ other disciples, both Roman and Judean, sail west to Britain with the Holy Grail. Joseph plants his staff on Glastonbury Tor and it blooms as a hawthorn tree. Beneath the white flowers of the miraculous tree, Pilate declares, “I came from across the great sea to create a new kingdom. Here shall I abide, and my heirs, to the end of the world.â€

In the coming decades, Pontius Pilate lays the groundwork for the first Christian kingdom, with the Grail and the Tree as tokens of his divine right. Back east, the Apostle Peter takes the Spear of Destiny to Rome and founds another church, though with opposition from the rump Roman government. The rest of Europe and the Near East break up into petty states ruled by Roman governors, invading barbarian chiefs, or former tributary kings such as Herod. The nascent Christian churches face less systematic persecution than in our history, but more competition locally from kings who make Mithraism, the cult of Isis, or other late Classical faiths their state religion. Further east, the Parthian empire expands for lack of serious opposition.

Worst of all, a false prophet arises: Simon Magus, the Proto-Heretic, who twists the teachings of Jesus for his own vile cult of sorcery and personality. The Apostles balk Simon in Europe and the Near East, but the Parthian court welcomes him. Simon’s Gnosticism becomes the state religion of Parthia, and he becomes the power behind the Parthian throne.

Six centuries later, Pilate’s descendant Arthur inherits a kingdom in turmoil from the machinations of Simonist sorcerers. He proves equal to the task once his knights recover the Holy Grail, the sacred emblem of harmony and fellowship. As a war-leader, Arthur defeats several enemies on the European mainland. His campaigns take him all the way to Rome, where he pulls the Spear of Destiny from the stone where Peter drove it centuries before, thus proving himself the true King of the West. Many pagan kingdoms convert -- and some of the faerie-folk, too. Arthur’s dynasty marries into elven and merfolk royalty. At the end of the 7th century, the multi-species Holy Alliance crushes the decadent Parthian Empire with the help of a new player, the prophet Mohammed, who was guided by Gabriel to a third sacred relic, the Crown of Thorns. For a short time, East and West are united. It doesn’t last, but the world remembers this as a Golden Age.

The early primacy of Britain gives this history’s Europe a stronger pull to the Atlantic than to the Mediterranean. Maritime trade among the British Isles, Scandinavia, Gaul and Hispania eventually leads to discovery of Iceland, Greenland and the New World. The Native Americans fare a little better than in our history. As long as the Grail is available, peaceful assimilation is possible, and works both ways somewhat. The Iroquois Confederation unites with European coastal colonies to form the United States of Avalon -- as the Arthurian British call our North America -- as a melting pot of cultures and races, human and otherwise. On the other hand, first contact with the Aztecs leads to a transatlantic crusade -- and Old World diseases still devastate the native populations.

At the start of the 21st century, however, the world is again in dire straits. Simon’s wizard-cult has seized power through much of the Middle East. Some say that Simon himself has returned as the Dark Lord of the new empire. The Grail, Spear and Crown are all lost. The White Tree of Britain is dead, poisoned by a Simonist sorcerer, and the line of Pilate and Arthur was overthrown long ago. The churches of Joseph, Peter and Mohammed bicker while the faerie races recall old grievances against Humanity. Simon has empowered thirty champions through dread sorcery and swathed them in ebon cloaks clasped with one of the silver coins paid to Judas. The Coinwraiths ride unhindered throughout the world, spreading terror and destruction.

In this alternate Earth of swords and sorcery, heroes from two worlds must unite to stop the Shadow of Simon from overspreading the world. They must unite the Free Peoples of the West to turn back the armies from the East and recover the Spear, Grail and Crown -- uniting the emblems of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit -- to end Simon’s power forever. And finally they must restore the Heir of Arthur -- one of this world’s superheroes (would it be too heavy-handed to call him the Ranger?) -- to his rightful throne, to bring peace and justice once more.

At least, that’s one way you could do it. There’s no shortage of other possibilities!

Back in 2005, someone posted a request for an alternate history in which the Roman Empire fell during the lifetime of Jesus. Some people made good suggestions about working in Arthurian legendry. I would have liked to contribute, but couldn't get the forum of that time to let me post! So I never got a chance to share this little bit of foolery. It may supply some loosely-relevant inspiration for a Roman Champions campaign, though

------------

Somebody had a good point about the need for the alternate history to be good for a supers game. So let’s see what sort of alternate 21st century we can get that’s suitable for an exciting adventure. How about High Fantasy? Any resemblance to a well-known Fantasy epic is purely intentional.

We have two conditions: The Roman Empire collapsed when it was barely begun, and Jesus was important enough to be remembered 20 centuries later. The collapse isn’t too difficult. Just let Julius and Octavian/Augustus have a few more problems, and the nascent empire can tear itself apart in the reign of Tiberius, during the life of Jesus, or in the reign of Caligula, if you want Jesus to live longer.

Now for Jesus himself. Since comic-book universes have real supernatural forces, the Crucifixion still happens eventually and Christianity spreads: That’s a Divine Plan. It could take a different form, though.

So here’s a scenario for an alternate Christianity, bringing in the Arthurian suggestions other people made. In 33 AD, Pontius Pilate is stranded by a crumbling empire and caught in a three-way power struggle with Herod and the Judean religious establishment. He decides not to give in to the bloody natives: If they see him back down now, his authority vanishes. He pardons the popular street preacher who has everyone in a tizzy. Curious, he talks more to Jesus, and likes what he hears. He gives Jesus a secretary to write down his actual words. Several years later, however, Pilate faces rebellion within his own ranks from underlings who think he listens too much to Jesus. The Crucifixion happens through a cabal of Pharisees and Roman rebels. Pilate, Joseph of Arimathea and a group of Jesus’ other disciples, both Roman and Judean, sail west to Britain with the Holy Grail. Joseph plants his staff on Glastonbury Tor and it blooms as a hawthorn tree. Beneath the white flowers of the miraculous tree, Pilate declares, “I came from across the great sea to create a new kingdom. Here shall I abide, and my heirs, to the end of the world.â€

In the coming decades, Pontius Pilate lays the groundwork for the first Christian kingdom, with the Grail and the Tree as tokens of his divine right. Back east, the Apostle Peter takes the Spear of Destiny to Rome and founds another church, though with opposition from the rump Roman government. The rest of Europe and the Near East break up into petty states ruled by Roman governors, invading barbarian chiefs, or former tributary kings such as Herod. The nascent Christian churches face less systematic persecution than in our history, but more competition locally from kings who make Mithraism, the cult of Isis, or other late Classical faiths their state religion. Further east, the Parthian empire expands for lack of serious opposition.

Worst of all, a false prophet arises: Simon Magus, the Proto-Heretic, who twists the teachings of Jesus for his own vile cult of sorcery and personality. The Apostles balk Simon in Europe and the Near East, but the Parthian court welcomes him. Simon’s Gnosticism becomes the state religion of Parthia, and he becomes the power behind the Parthian throne.

Six centuries later, Pilate’s descendant Arthur inherits a kingdom in turmoil from the machinations of Simonist sorcerers. He proves equal to the task once his knights recover the Holy Grail, the sacred emblem of harmony and fellowship. As a war-leader, Arthur defeats several enemies on the European mainland. His campaigns take him all the way to Rome, where he pulls the Spear of Destiny from the stone where Peter drove it centuries before, thus proving himself the true King of the West. Many pagan kingdoms convert -- and some of the faerie-folk, too. Arthur’s dynasty marries into elven and merfolk royalty. At the end of the 7th century, the multi-species Holy Alliance crushes the decadent Parthian Empire with the help of a new player, the prophet Mohammed, who was guided by Gabriel to a third sacred relic, the Crown of Thorns. For a short time, East and West are united. It doesn’t last, but the world remembers this as a Golden Age.

The early primacy of Britain gives this history’s Europe a stronger pull to the Atlantic than to the Mediterranean. Maritime trade among the British Isles, Scandinavia, Gaul and Hispania eventually leads to discovery of Iceland, Greenland and the New World. The Native Americans fare a little better than in our history. As long as the Grail is available, peaceful assimilation is possible, and works both ways somewhat. The Iroquois Confederation unites with European coastal colonies to form the United States of Avalon -- as the Arthurian British call our North America -- as a melting pot of cultures and races, human and otherwise. On the other hand, first contact with the Aztecs leads to a transatlantic crusade -- and Old World diseases still devastate the native populations.

At the start of the 21st century, however, the world is again in dire straits. Simon’s wizard-cult has seized power through much of the Middle East. Some say that Simon himself has returned as the Dark Lord of the new empire. The Grail, Spear and Crown are all lost. The White Tree of Britain is dead, poisoned by a Simonist sorcerer, and the line of Pilate and Arthur was overthrown long ago. The churches of Joseph, Peter and Mohammed bicker while the faerie races recall old grievances against Humanity. Simon has empowered thirty champions through dread sorcery and swathed them in ebon cloaks clasped with one of the silver coins paid to Judas. The Coinwraiths ride unhindered throughout the world, spreading terror and destruction.

In this alternate Earth of swords and sorcery, heroes from two worlds must unite to stop the Shadow of Simon from overspreading the world. They must unite the Free Peoples of the West to turn back the armies from the East and recover the Spear, Grail and Crown -- uniting the emblems of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit -- to end Simon’s power forever. And finally they must restore the Heir of Arthur -- one of this world’s superheroes (would it be too heavy-handed to call him the Ranger?) -- to his rightful throne, to bring peace and justice once more.

At least, that’s one way you could do it. There’s no shortage of other possibilities!

I like the idea of the Coinwraiths. It's an intriguing way to create a band of villains.

Thumbs up to your alternate history idea, sir!

I can never get enough of Dean Shomshak's inspiration. :hail:

Just to dip into relevant published Champions materials: with its perversion of Christian themes and symbolism, DEMON would readily fit the cult of Simon Magus. The villain Invictus would also be a natural power-player in the "United States of Avalon," assuming the cult of Sol Invictus received the patronage of one or more of the splinter Roman states.

I can't take too much credit for the Coinwraiths. Various writers have used Judas' 30 pieces of silver as powerful, malign magic items: Notably, in Jim butcher's "Dresden Files" series, each coin is a conduit for a demon. Whoever touches a coin can be possessed by the demon and take its form. The "Order of the Blackened Denarii" could be ported into a Champions setting as a supervillain team, easy-peasy. (Though, do you want a team with up to 30 members?)

Dean Shomshak

Getting back to Roman history...

In 100 BC, the social trends that lead to the Republic becoming an Empire are already pervasive. With the destruction of Carthage decades before, Rome faces no great threats from abroad... so there is no check to the ambitions or hatreds of parties and leaders. In this period, the highest levels of political conflict are often resolved with assassination and street violence. The popular reformist Gracchus brothers have already been murdered by their political enemies (in 133 and 121 BC).

Rome's most recent major war, the Numidian Campaign or Jugurthine War (112-105 BC), was a case of "sorrows of empire": An allied king gets overthrown by his brother, appeals to Rome to honor its treaty obligations. The war was fought with bribes in the Senate as much as by the legions in Africa. The Roman commanders, Marius and Sulla, defeat Jugurtha -- and begin a rivalry that will later tear Rome apart in civil war.

Marius, a low-born Roman who married into the aristocracy, leads the Popular Party. Sulla is the favorite of the patricians. When their conflict boils over into civil war in 90 BC, Sulla's forces win and drive Marius into exile.

At the same time (91 BC), the cities of southern Italy rebelled against Rome. Technically, these remained sovereign allies, but were treated as subjects. Sulla's forces also defeated these rebels in a conflict sometimes called the Social War, though it was as much political as military: Cities were split from the alliance by promises to grant them full Roman citizenship and rights.

The Popular Party regrouped under Marius' son, leading to another civil war in 82 BC. Sulla won and was declared dictator for life. Though he resigned from dictatorship in 79 BC, he set the precedent for Julius Caesar and Imperial rule.

All this seems well suited for a Roman Dark Champions campaign. The greatest danger to Rome comes from within.

Dean Shomshak

In 100 BC, the social trends that lead to the Republic becoming an Empire are already pervasive. With the destruction of Carthage decades before, Rome faces no great threats from abroad... so there is no check to the ambitions or hatreds of parties and leaders. In this period, the highest levels of political conflict are often resolved with assassination and street violence. The popular reformist Gracchus brothers have already been murdered by their political enemies (in 133 and 121 BC).

Rome's most recent major war, the Numidian Campaign or Jugurthine War (112-105 BC), was a case of "sorrows of empire": An allied king gets overthrown by his brother, appeals to Rome to honor its treaty obligations. The war was fought with bribes in the Senate as much as by the legions in Africa. The Roman commanders, Marius and Sulla, defeat Jugurtha -- and begin a rivalry that will later tear Rome apart in civil war.

Marius, a low-born Roman who married into the aristocracy, leads the Popular Party. Sulla is the favorite of the patricians. When their conflict boils over into civil war in 90 BC, Sulla's forces win and drive Marius into exile.

At the same time (91 BC), the cities of southern Italy rebelled against Rome. Technically, these remained sovereign allies, but were treated as subjects. Sulla's forces also defeated these rebels in a conflict sometimes called the Social War, though it was as much political as military: Cities were split from the alliance by promises to grant them full Roman citizenship and rights.

The Popular Party regrouped under Marius' son, leading to another civil war in 82 BC. Sulla won and was declared dictator for life. Though he resigned from dictatorship in 79 BC, he set the precedent for Julius Caesar and Imperial rule.

All this seems well suited for a Roman Dark Champions campaign. The greatest danger to Rome comes from within.

Dean Shomshak

The mention of Roman Dark Champions makes me wonder what a Roman version of Batman would be like.

I can't take too much credit for the Coinwraiths. Various writers have used Judas' 30 pieces of silver as powerful, malign magic items: Notably, in Jim butcher's "Dresden Files" series, each coin is a conduit for a demon. Whoever touches a coin can be possessed by the demon and take its form. The "Order of the Blackened Denarii" could be ported into a Champions setting as a supervillain team, easy-peasy. (Though, do you want a team with up to 30 members?)

Dean Shomshak

What if the coins had been scattered, though? You could base a whole campaign around a supernatural scavenger hunt, with villains trying to gather the coins and heroes trying to keep them out of their hands. And you could have as many or as few coin-possessors as you need at one time.

For my more recent Champions games I modified the Coin Collector, of DEMON's Inner Circle, to wield a suite of black-magic Powers Focussed through his thirty pieces of silver, on the assumption that they're the actual coins paid to Judas.

In pre-Christian Rome it wasn't uncommon for prominent Romans to claim descent from gods or legendary heroes, and a few were even deified after their deaths. This seems to have been mostly for purposes of status and public relations, but in a super-Rome it could be more literally true, and could bring more tangible benefits.

Hero Games's The Atlantean Age would be a good model to base that convention on. It includes templates of abilities for characters of the bloodline of various deities and demigods. In fact the whole setting is close to true superhumans in a pseudo-Classical fantasy world. More Greek in style than Roman, but still.

In pre-Christian Rome it wasn't uncommon for prominent Romans to claim descent from gods or legendary heroes, and a few were even deified after their deaths. This seems to have been mostly for purposes of status and public relations, but in a super-Rome it could be more literally true, and could bring more tangible benefits.

Hero Games's The Atlantean Age would be a good model to base that convention on. It includes templates of abilities for characters of the bloodline of various deities and demigods. In fact the whole setting is close to true superhumans in a pseudo-Classical fantasy world. More Greek in style than Roman, but still.

Now that's an interesting idea, taking the magic and superhuman aspects of Atlantean Age and dropping them into the Roman Empire. Imagine if Rome's rise had been aided by magic and supernatural assistance, spreading their control even further than it was in the real world.

Dean Shomshak

I would go with a woman using the name Adrasteia, "the inescapable," one of the titles of the goddess Nemesis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_(mythology)) . She could use a wing-shaped cloak reminiscent of the wings Nemesis was commonly depicted with; or have real wings if she's superhuman.

Assuming, of course, that Rome was the only power with strong magic, and whose gods were real and involved in the affairs of their worshippers.