Gaining complications in game?

Theros

This might be stupid question. Background information from this current situation.

One player of my group is playing possessor character. His character was sociopath when he created it (player wanted character to be like that), he took Hunted: NSA (his character killed NSA agents).

Well...no he has been playimg his character like psychopath (plays it quite well). He has taken control of one good superhero lady, as he gained total control over lady, he did all kind of nasty things. Lady survived and he got first complication from game: Hunted: frequently, more powerful, Defenders of New York superheroes group.

Then betrayed UNTIL, he is hunted by them. I wish that it would be enough, but no. He killed some innocent locals when he was fleeing UNTIL. He used possession, which is illegal.

T

Then he killed main NPC from adventure (possessed him and cut his throat). Feds find out that and he is hunted by FBI.

He did not stop to that...he is now hunted by PRIMUS. Generally speaking his character is unplayable at the moment, or what you think? How you would handle that character? My idea is to tell player to create new character.

Just a tip for all GMs. Don't allow PCs to take possession powers.

This might be stupid question. Background information from this current situation.

One player of my group is playing possessor character. His character was sociopath when he created it (player wanted character to be like that), he took Hunted: NSA (his character killed NSA agents).

Well...no he has been playimg his character like psychopath (plays it quite well). He has taken control of one good superhero lady, as he gained total control over lady, he did all kind of nasty things. Lady survived and he got first complication from game: Hunted: frequently, more powerful, Defenders of New York superheroes group.

Then betrayed UNTIL, he is hunted by them. I wish that it would be enough, but no. He killed some innocent locals when he was fleeing UNTIL. He used possession, which is illegal.

T

Then he killed main NPC from adventure (possessed him and cut his throat). Feds find out that and he is hunted by FBI.

He did not stop to that...he is now hunted by PRIMUS. Generally speaking his character is unplayable at the moment, or what you think? How you would handle that character? My idea is to tell player to create new character.

Reveal that the Hero had been replaced by an Evil Double, who was responsible for all the terrible things.

Is this a villains game?  If not, why did you allow this character?  Why did you not deal with the player when he killed his first innocent victim?  Is this a 1-on-1 game?  If not, why hasn't the rest of the team put him down themselves?

The problem is not with possession powers, it is with the villainous character, and probably the player.

Is this a villains game?  If not, why did you allow this character?  Why did you not deal with the player when he killed his first innocent victim?  Is this a 1-on-1 game?  If not, why hasn't the rest of the team put him down themselves?

The problem is not with possession powers, it is with the villainous character, and probably the player.

Yeah. This. "Hey, [Player Name], did you miss the part where this is a superHERO game we're playing?"

Turn the PC into an NPC villain locked up in Stronghold (or the equivalent) until his trial, at which time the locking up becomes a lifetime punishment. Or maybe he's just killed while resisting arrest. I wouldn't even give the player the fun of playing out the final battle. Just announce it as a fait accompli and he is free to make a new character, one who will actually fit into the game. Or to leave the game, if he'd rather. His choice.

It's not the mind control/possession power that is at issue*. It's how the character/player uses it. Superman, to name one character, has phenomenal potential for evil. He's strong enough to go on a rape/robbery/killing spree that almost nobody else could stop. He's got potentially lethal heat vision. Et cetera, et cetera. But he doesn't use his powers that way.

*Although of course, when your only tool is a hammer every problem looks like a nail. If you can't do much else with your powers but turn people into puppets, the game may not be much fun if you restrain yourself. Still, mind-controlling heroes do exist in the comics.

T

Pro tip. Don't allow players to play characters that would make better SuperVILLAINS. Your first mistake was allowing someone to play a "hero" with Psychopath anywhere in his description, complications etc. I would have made the PC an NPC the moment he Sexually Assaulted the Superhero from another team. Makes me wonder where his other team mates were and what their thoughts on this guy screwing up their reputations are.

Yeah. This. "Hey, [Player Name], did you miss the part where this is a superHERO game we're playing?"

Turn the PC into an NPC villain locked up in Stronghold (or the equivalent) until his trial, at which time the locking up becomes a lifetime punishment. Or maybe he's just killed while resisting arrest. I wouldn't even give the player the fun of playing out the final battle. Just announce it as a fait accompli and he is free to make a new character, one who will actually fit into the game. Or to leave the game, if he'd rather. His choice.

It's not the mind control/possession power that is at issue*. It's how the character/player uses it. Superman, to name one character, has phenomenal potential for evil. He's strong enough to go on a rape/robbery/killing spree that almost nobody else could stop. He's got potentially lethal heat vision. Et cetera, et cetera. But he doesn't use his powers that way.

*Although of course, when your only tool is a hammer every problem looks like a nail. If you can't do much else with your powers but turn people into puppets, the game may not be much fun if you restrain yourself. Still, mind-controlling heroes do exist in the comics.

The Martian Manhunter has possession and many other very abusable powers. He's the gentlist nicest person on the whole Justice League team. So the powerset isn't to blame it's the Player who made the stupid character. Honestly, it's also the GM's fault for allowing it to go on for so long.

As has already been pointed out by others, this is not an issue about possession powers. 

There are 2 great superhero examples with that as their core powers: DCU's Deadman and Jericho.

Both are/were heroic and go out of their way to NOT kill.

To use a Star Wars example, Obi-Wan Kenobi certainly has the strength to totally bend someone to his will...yet all he chooses to do with that power is convince some stormtroopers that "These aren't the droids you're looking for".  His apprentice, on the other hand, uses his power to work great evil--not so much  mind control, perhaps, but still: it ain't the glove, it's the hand that wears it.

In my GMing days, I would let characters gain positive traits (Advantages, Merits, etc., depending on game) and negative traits (Flaws, Disadvantages, Complications, again depending on game) depending on their roleplaying, and I usually wouldn't make them pay points for it if it was roleplayed well.

T

I have to ask, what have the other Players/Heroes been doing during all of this?

Possession power aren't the problem. I allowed a player to have them before, and it wasn't an issue (though it could be overpowering in the right circumstances).

Don't allow villainous PCs in a superhero campaign.

The psychopath has five Hunteds, and he can't take them all at once. The NSA is willing to assist the FBI in finding him. Both organizations are good at covert investigations. The FBI can form a joint task force which includes PRIMUS, UNTIL, the New York superhero group (and the NSA as a covert participant). PRIMUS and UNTIL can provide special technology to nullify his possession powers, and whatever other power he has that might allow him to easily escape (like Desolid).

Smart, organized and well-prepared Hunteds can stop anyone. After they capture him, PRIMUS can put him in a special cell that nullifies his powers. Since his character will spend the rest of his life in prison, tell him to create a new one or leave the game.

Next time, don't let him play a sociopath or psychopath unless you're running a supervillain campaign. And if he starts to act like a villain again, slap him down much sooner.

Handling the other players:

Why did the other players (superheroes) let him act like a criminal for so long? When he's thrown in prison, tarnish their reputations. Let them know that the public holds them responsible for what they let him do. Picket their base. File civil lawsuits against whatever points in wealth they have. Let them know that his actions have negative consequences for them.

The next time he jumps out of line, they'll put him in his place.

If you are running a supervillain campaign:

Sociopaths and psychopaths are allowed, and sometimes encouraged. In that case, don't have his Hunteds stomp him all at once. Let them continuously harass him until he's forced to be a lot more cautious and discreet. Similarly, if the other PCs start getting hunted as his accomplices, they'll encourage him to be a lot more discreet.