What would your character do...#15?

The Watcher

Ok, I've answered a few of these so I guess it's my turn to posit one.

While patrolling or visiting Millenium City you encounter a strange phenomenon. A sudden storm over takes you, one with an errie glowing blue malestorm. Suddenly it engulfs you and everything totally changes.

It's now early morning and the sun is just rising over Detroit. That's right, Detroit, not Millenium City. As you look around disoriented, trying to get your bearings, you glimpse a large group of figures flying in.

Focusing your attention on them, you immediately recognize them. Members of the Sentinels. Members who have been dead for over a decade. And then you realize what happened. Where you are. More importantly, when you are.

A date that would forever be remembered in history. July 23, 1992. Just an hour or so before the Battle of Detroit.

What do you do next?

1) Go to the Sentinels, tell them you're from the future, that all Hell is about to break loose.

2) Have their telepath probe your mind. Do not resist.

3) Help with the evacuation.

4) Die alongside them against Destroyer as one of the 'unknown heroes' that died in the fighting, just to buy the evacuation a few more moments.

Anthem. Having just ended an adventure in which time nearly ended due to a paradox, she decides that she cannot interfere. She'll pace and worry and torment herself until the last moments, when the fight is actually underway, then she'll realize that there is no way she can stand idly by. she leaves the heroes to their own devices, but she goes in to rescue any bystanders in the path of the massive destruction that comes soon.

Uncle Slam. Slam would try and decide if he is there because his purpose is to "correct" history or to "change" it. His actions, he'll decide, have not yet been written, and that there is no way he will ever know for sure if the actions he takes here will in fact alter the future or simply shape it to be the future he knows. So he will jump in with both feet. He'll give the heroes all the tacticals he knows (and that would be a lot of info about this event, which he has studied greatly), and the Detroit would likely still stand at the end of the day, forever altering the timeline.

Audra Blue. [edit]She would collapse in a heap, since she's agoraphobic. She'll be carted off by an ambulance and given a psych exam. As she tries to explain the pending danger the doctors will decide she's mad, not a time traveler, and pump her full of thorazine. Unable to convince anyone she'll likely remain in a drugged stupor as the city crumbles around her. She may even die in the event, unable to come out of any collapsing building she is in.

Re: What would your character do...#15?

Originally posted by The Watcher

Ok, I've answered a few of these so I guess it's my turn to posit one.

While patrolling or visiting Millenium City you encounter a strange phenomenon. A sudden storm over takes you, one with an errie glowing blue malestorm. Suddenly it engulfs you and everything totally changes.

It's now early morning and the sun is just rising over Detroit. That's right, Detroit, not Millenium City. As you look around disoriented, trying to get your bearings, you glimpse a large group of figures flying in.

Focusing your attention on them, you immediately recognize them. Members of the Sentinels. Members who have been dead for over a decade. And then you realize what happened. Where you are. More importantly, when you are.

A date that would forever be remembered in history. July 23, 1992. Just an hour or so before the Battle of Detroit.

What do you do next?

Okay, first let me say this is frickin brilliant. It's like the movie "Final Countdown" Champs style ;)

Most of my characters would probably do something similar to Mephron's suggestion. Timeline be darned; many of them have CVK or Protective of Innocents, and I'm sorry, they wouldn't be able to make a million ego rolls and just think of the 'big picture'.

Some of my characters are not IN the CU, but assuming they were, a few variations from Mephron's plan would go like this:

APEX: Might take this time to send his future self a note, to save his wife before SHE dies somehow, and tell her and his daughter (Not yet born )He loves her via note, before going off to try to turn the tide.

RECLUSE: He'd spend his time very small, and trying to find a way to sneak up, and web up the doc's button so the laser could never be called down. That's after making the Ego roll to keep from wetting himself... he's new at this.

SLAMMER: He'd join the others and die, after some introspection and maybe some last minute growing up.

SURGE: If he were a mainstream 5th Ed CU character, he'd beg the most technical of the Sentinels to help him create some sort of super jamming device, to prevent Dr D's signal from getting to his satelite.

WILDCARD: Obsessed with Justice, WildCard would do his best to kill Dr Destroyer BEFORE he could send that signal. I don't see how possibly he could, but he'd throw off the kid gloves

and hope he could live up to his name.

Wow this is a brilliant idea. Good basis for a campaign as well. I like it.

Eightball: (Geneticaly engineered super with no real world knowledge or History) Would have no idea what was going on or what was about to happen.

Tombstone: No way this would be going down on his watch he would fight to the last and try and interpose himself in the path of laser and try to save as many as he could.

Freon: Would try to save as many as possible but he would know history was already written and those destined to die would die. In his time he figures he was probably one of the unnamed heroes who perished in the disaster.

Oh, well, if we're going by character... :)

Steel Thunder: the plan I gave in my first post.

Ultra Gadget Queen G: Tell the heroes, have them verify, then spent as much time as possible gadgeteering up as many city defences as possible, like a huge forcewall over the city, to minimize the damage.

Outback: work with the evac. As a mage with flight and a lot of TK, he can move a lot of people.

Warpage: the plan I gave in my first post.

Msgn. Jean-Claude des Champes: lead the Roman Catholic - or even just the Christian - heroes in prayed beforehand, and then leave in order to minister to those who have been displaced.

Bestiary: help with the evac, then join the fight. (Metamorph with the ability to do what any mammal is good for helping with evacuation or survival shelters.

BTW, the campaign I'm currently DMing IS set in 1992 Detroit...

Tempest II: Not the brightest or most cautious hero, Tempest would probably try to persuade the Sentinels he's from the future. Fact is, the Tempest from 2003 is just the heir of the original hero by the same name (and same costume). By 1992, the original Tempest is still active and living, so Tempest II will be considered an imposter. Unable to prevent the disaster, he'll just fight Doc D and die if he has to.

Ombra: Acting quickly, he'd leave a message to his future self, including a detailed list of "future" (ie 1992-2003) disasters to avert: floods, earthquakes, eco-disasters, 9/11, you name it. Then he'd join the fray. He'd be most concerned with evacuation, as he's really out of his league with the likes of Destroyer. However, he might actually join the fight to buy time for evac. In this instance, however, he'd probably fight alongside Destroyer, not against him! Why? Well, Ombra knows Doc D activated his orbital cannon when he realised he was going to be defeated - so the best way to buy time is deleaying his defeat...

Quantum (flying Energy projector w/high FF) - Would follow Mephron's plan, then take off into space to try and disable the cannon...or die trying.

Specter (desolid spooky detective w/drains) - Advise the heroes and set out to delay Dr. D as long as possible.

Stone (big brick) - Would go see his father and try to get him to leave the city, then would go find a steel i-beam and a wrecking ball on a chain and wait for the fight.

Anthem: understanding that his own future cannot be changed, not matter what he does, but that a divergent timestream in which millenium city was not destroyed now exists in potentia, would inform the sentinels of destroyers hideout, and then go destroy the sattelite cannon. all of this presumes he was in the CU to start with, which he isn't. a more realistic answer would be "where in God's creation am I and what is going on?" (followed by the destruction of the sattelite cannon, which his supermanish role dictates).

Midnight: he would try to help the sentinels. Of course, he wouldn't know where he was or who destroyer or anyone else was... where did San Francisco go?!

Pinstripe: pinstripe would wonder how he ended up in this four-color hell-hole filled with tights-wearing goody two-shoes. He would then proceed to assits these idealistic nincompoops, cutting a blood red swath through destoyers agents. After that he'd ponder how to get back to the "real" detroit.

Doc Micro - would spend about two minutes marvelling at the fact that his x-dim microzone movement power allows him to shift continuities in the multiverse. He would assist the heroes here, since he can't change his own continuity by doing so. He would assess the situation, conclude he had only 19 minutes to spare, explain how to fix it for 20 minutes, then do something to avert catastophe (shrinking destroyer would be just too classic a move, but the cannon is likely a better target) ... just in the nick of time. "I've always wanted to cut destroyer down to size!"

Starguard -- frantically warn the Sentinels. Then activate her Power Cosmic, fly up to Destroyer's death satellite *before* it activates, and nuke the holy living hell out of it until there ain't two quarks of that bastard left sharing the same cubic light-year.

Baron von Darien -- urgently warn the Sentinels, use his Eidetic Memory to recall the exact ephemeris of the death satellite (which was in an after-action report he'd have read at some time in the intervening twelve years), and strongly suggest to PRIMUS that they have Victory or some other space-capable superheroine fly up there and zap the bastard, or convince the Air Force to hose off an ASAT at it, or something.

Dr. Pain -- urgently warn the Sentinels, mention there's a death satellite up there somewhere but he doesn't know where, and...

... well, truth be told, given that they've got one hour *plus* the entire time of the battle (which went for /hours/, IIRC) before Destroyer actually activates the satellite, it's just possible that a fast and discreet search by all available spacegoing assets (superheroic and otherwise) can actually find in time and zap it. (Especially given that it's most likely going to be directly overhead or nearabouts at H-hour, thus narrowing down the search cone.)

Remember, folks, the reason that Destroyer's orbital WMD attack succeeded so well is because nobody suspected it was there until it was too late.

But anybody from the future already knows about it.

Quasar - He would be VERY torn. It's his nature to protect the innocent, so he would feel compelled to assist in the battle/evacuation. However, he IS space capable, AND an electronics genius, and would finally decide he would be best utilized in taking out the satellite.

Shadowhunter - He'd be in over his head and he'd know it. He'd try a stealth entry into Destoryers lair, but he'd know he'd he'd die trying. But he'd try anyway.

Mind Maiden - First, a question to the GM: What's the DEF and BODY of a typicle microchip?

First she'd use Clairsentience to locate Destoryers lair, then an Armor Piercing Teleport with Invisible Effect to get in. Next a 3D6 Megascale Armor Piercing AOE RKA, Only Effects Microchips with the sfx of a MASSIVE static power surge. ;)

"Activate the satellite NOW, chump!"

Then Destoryer would kill her.

Scales:

Doesn't live in the CU, but there was some cross traffic at one point which involved the Doctor. However, this was prior to Detroit being destroyed.

We'll have to assume that Scales learns the basic facts of the destruction of Detroit before being pulled yet again into the past of 1992. The date, Destroyer did it, and the space laser.

He might have to deal with a Merry Marvel Mixup concerning the Sentinels (The problems with being a hideous metallic monster), but it shouldn't take too long to convince them that he's a good guy and very tough.

Hopefully, someone can investigate the space angle. Scales will then wade into the fight with Dr. Destroyer though that might get the laser fired off early.

The rest, not really in CU either, but we'll fake it with them...

Andromeda:

Goes into space like a bat out of hell. She's got the perfect power set for dealing with rogue satellites. Electromagnetic casting, space capable, plus the ability to control machines.

Ice Pirate:

She'd warn the Sentinels and start figuring a way to hack into the satellite controls.

Calico:

Was undercover as a villain in 1992 so would have to avoid the Sentinels. Would try to contact them anonymously to mention the Satellite. Next stop, warehouse and trying to beat the crap out of Dr. D. She's tough, she's overconfident, she'll get her head handed to her. :)

Pretty much the rest would divulge all known information and join the assault.

• 1 month later...

Husky would be torn but most likely he'd realize he actually needed Kenneth's help so he'd transform. Kenneth would then try to calculate if he should try to change history (or if maybe he already helped in the past) and do as his science indicates he should/did. If a fight is coming up he'll change back into Husky otherwise he'll need to find a safe place to wait for history to unfold before building a time machine to return to the future.