Why is it so slow in here?

NuSoardGraphite

Spence, you make a good point. In fact, I think you hit the nail on the head.

However, I still think that the tool kitting should be included in the initial product. Up to a certain point.

I would say prebuild everything (Class Packages, Talents, etc), tie in the relevant skills and combat sections of the current edition. List how much everything costs so everyone can build the character they want. But provide (either as a footnote or as a free PDF download) the actual ability Builds such as what I posted in my example above.

Thus we have:

1. A complete and ready-to-use Setting and Rulesbook.
  2. Hero System's ability to toolkit the game so the GM and players can do what they want to do with their characters
  3. A behind-the-scenes look at how the abilities were built.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that to get the various incarnations of Hero out there we need to get a out of the box playable version into the world first.  Then introduce them to the wonders of the ToolKit. 

As Nadrakas mentioned. 

This is one of the reasons I think that Vampire the Masquerade (And the other WoD settings) did so well (and still have a following).  You could open the book, follow a relatively easy to follow character creation, and in a pretty short time have a completed character.  I know, comparing any WW product to Hero is like comparing Apples & Oranges, but they were "out of the box playable."

So, create the writeups to be easily understood without being overly "Rules Lawyerish."

However, I still think that the tool kitting should be included in the initial product. Up to a certain point.

I would say prebuild everything (Class Packages, Talents, etc), tie in the relevant skills and combat sections of the current edition. List how much everything costs so everyone can build the character they want. But provide (either as a footnote or as a free PDF download) the actual ability Builds such as what I posted in my example above.

Thus we have:

2. Hero System's ability to toolkit the game so the GM and players can do what they want to do with their characters

Tool Kitting:  I'd keep it to a minimum and away from the initial writeups -- say in the back of the book -- for when the players want to read about it.  Don't force it on them...let them read it when they are ready.

Prebuilds: Might I suggest using something akin to "Templates" in a step-by-step process to build characters?  This would allow players to build their characters while also learning a little about the game at the same time. 

Examples:

Step 1) What Race are You? (Human, Elf, Dwarf, Wookie, Ewok, Eldar, etc...)

Step 2) What happened to You during You're Childhood? (Wonderful Education, Born into a Peasant Family, Born with a Silver Spoon in Mouth, War Orphan, Orphan, etc).

Step 3) What happened to You during You're Adolescence? (Apprenticed to a Craftsman, Ran Away From Home, Kidnapped!, Street Rat, Young Noble).

Step 4) What do You do as an Adult? (Soldier, Politician, Hacker, Spacer, Bum, etc).

Step 5) Divide up You're Bonus Character Points.

Note that each of the above Steps would be a little more involved, in that they would across the board add to the Characteristics  of the Character at each Step.  Also, each Step would cost the same (Step 1 costs V, Step 2, costs W, Step 3 Costs X, etc; -- and yes, would take some work to balance each of them...), in order to keep the final cost "balanced."  Various Complications could/should also be included at each step for Player's to choose from.  And of course, each of the Steps should include a well thought out bit of Flavor Text.

I know this is taking people by the hand, but it's a teaching method.

~ N

This is one of the reasons I think that Vampire the Masquerade (And the other WoD settings) did so well (and still have a following).  You could open the book, follow a relatively easy to follow character creation, and in a pretty short time have a completed character.  I know, comparing any WW product to Hero is like comparing Apples & Oranges, but they were "out of the box playable."

So, create the writeups to be easily understood without being overly "Rules Lawyerish."

Tool Kitting:  I'd keep it to a minimum and away from the initial writeups -- say in the back of the book -- for when the players want to read about it.  Don't force it on them...let them read it when they are ready.

Prebuilds: Might I suggest using something akin to "Templates" in a step-by-step process to build characters?  This would allow players to build their characters while also learning a little about the game at the same time. 

Examples:

Step 2) What happened to You during You're Childhood? (Wonderful Education, Born into a Peasant Family, Born with a Silver Spoon in Mouth, War Orphan, Orphan, etc).

Step 3) What happened to You during You're Adolescence? (Apprenticed to a Craftsman, Ran Away From Home, Kidnapped!, Street Rat, Young Noble).

Step 4) What do You do as an Adult? (Soldier, Politician, Hacker, Spacer, Bum, etc).

Note that each of the above Steps would be a little more involved, in that they would across the board add to the Characteristics  of the Character at each Step.  Also, each Step would cost the same (Step 1 costs V, Step 2, costs W, Step 3 Costs X, etc; -- and yes, would take some work to balance each of them...), in order to keep the final cost "balanced."  Various Complications could/should also be included at each step for Player's to choose from.  And of course, each of the Steps should include a well thought out bit of Flavor Text.

~ M

Yeah, I think is the general path this should take, a pretty straightforward "flow-chart" to a character... If you make characters easy to build, you've beaten at least half of the complaints I have ever heard concerning Hero. A set of career paths, some racial backgrounds, starting gear packages.. that sort of thing goes a long way towards getting the unwashed masses playing, at least in my opinion.

Yeah, I think is the general path this should take, a pretty straightforward "flow-chart" to a character... If you make characters easy to build, you've beaten at least half of the complaints I have ever heard concerning Hero. A set of career paths, some racial backgrounds, starting gear packages.. that sort of thing goes a long way towards getting the unwashed masses playing, at least in my opinion.

KISS -- Keep It Simple Silly

~ N

Here my take on character creation:

Step One: Racial Package (Self explanatory) - 25 Points with 5-10 points matching disads

Step Three: Base Characteristics: Rough and Tough (focused on STR, PD and BODY), Fast and Nimble (Dex, OCV/DCV, SPD), Brains and Will (INT, EGO, MOCV/MDCV) - 25 Points

Step Four: Base Profession Package: Warrior, Thief, Mage, Priest, Druid - 25 Points with 10-15 Points Matching Disads

Step Five: Secondary Profession Package: Additional Abilities for the above Professions (Knight or Barbarian for Warrior, Bard or Assassin for Thief, etc), or Pick a second Profession to create hybrid (Spell-Sword, Ranger, Palladin, etc) - 25 points

Step Six: Skills Sets and Talents 25 Points

Step Seven: Equipment Packages

That would create a character built on 125 Points with 25 points of matching Disads.

Here my take on character creation:

Step One: Racial Package (Self explanatory) - 25 Points with 5-10 points matching disads

Step Three: Base Characteristics: Rough and Tough (focused on STR, PD and BODY), Fast and Nimble (Dex, OCV/DCV, SPD), Brains and Will (INT, EGO, MOCV/MDCV) - 25 Points

Step Four: Base Profession Package: Warrior, Thief, Mage, Priest, Druid - 25 Points with 10-15 Points Matching Disads

Step Five: Secondary Profession Package: Additional Abilities for the above Professions (Knight or Barbarian for Warrior, Bard or Assassin for Thief, etc), or Pick a second Profession to create hybrid (Spell-Sword, Ranger, Palladin, etc) - 25 points

Step Six: Skills Sets and Talents 25 Points

Step Seven: Equipment Packages

That would create a character built on 125 Points with 25 points of matching Disads.

I would further recommend that racial packages do not all necessarily need to be even.

Having your points to spend the way you want to spend them is the "benefit" of being a human.

Elves get their elven shtick, but have fewer points to devote to everything else.

It is HERO's natural system of "Level Adjustment."  

Just a thought.

Agreed.  Racial packages do not need to be even.  A half-ogre is not equal to a halfling.  As long as everyone is based on the same number of starting points, everything will even out in the end. (the half-ogre will spend more on his racial package and will start with higher characteristics, but the halfling will have a lot more points to spend on Talents and Skills during character creation)

I think cultural packages should be standard within most settings. Many racial packages in the book include things that are dependent on culture.  These should be removed from the racial package and added to the cultural package.  The reason being that a Sylvan Elf will have higher than normal Dex, nightvision and enhanced balance as genetic traits, but Climbing and Wood lore are something learned from growing up in the Sylvan culture...such an elf born and raised among Dwarves or Humans would not necessarily develop those skills.  Then again, a Human raised in the Sylvan Elf culture wouldn't have the Dex bonus, nightvision or enhanced balance as a part of his racial package, but he would develop the Climbing and Survival (woodland) skills because he grew up with them and would take their Cultural Package.

(BlueCloud2k2 and I talked about this through Messaging...not posting for him...)

This wouldn't necessarily be for the experienced Hero Gamer.  It would be an Introduction to New Players.  Think of this as kind of like the D&D Basic to Immortal Sets: Basic Set (1st - 3rd Level), Expert Set (4th - 14th Level), Companion Set (15th - 25th Level), Master Level (26th - 36th Level) and Immortal Set (Well...Immortals).  This would be an Introduction, leading into the Main Hero Rules.  You'd have a very simplified character creation built through a Modified Template structure, with all "Powers" having their game effects described in the Flavor Text -- accompanied by standard Hero Rules States.  Some Tool Kitting could be included in the back, with a short introduction/explanation of the Hero System (not overwhelming...), in order to attract New Players.

Character Creation would be a quick "plug & play" method.  Come up with a concept, choose a "Template" at each Step, write the Characteristics/Skills/Combat Values/etc and you're ready to go.  (Think VtM Character Creation...)

As far as a "Human Package Deal" -- Why not??  Each Race gets a Base in each Characteristic (Example: Human's get 10's. Elves get 8's or 10's in most things, while some are lower or higher. Same with the other races.).  You write any "Specials" (Powers, etc) that go along with the Race. Then move on to the next Step.  Keeping the Points Even at each Step allows for things to Balance at the end.  Again...K.I.S.S..

I know this is Jarring to the regular Hero Player, but I'm trying to "Think Outside the Box" here.  Trying to attract New Players.  If we keep doing the same thing over, and over, and over...then the number of new player's that we attract will continue to diminish, and eventually we'll all be old fogies wishing for the "Good Olde Days."   This doesn't mean that the System needs to be changed -- it doesn't.  Just that a simpler "Plug & Play Character Creation" might -- just might -- attract a few new players, which might spread...and eventually, some of these new Player's might spend the time to learn the System, spend a little money and help expand the overall Line.  A long-term strategy....not a quick fix.

Note: I am not necessarily wedded to the "Human, Elves, Dwarves, etc" thing, or even a Fantasy Setting (Despite this being a Fantasy Forum).  This would have to be decided by a group consensuses as to the Genre, What was being done (Full Setting, Adventure, Character/Monster/Power Book, etc), along with a great many other details.  Something like this -- even small -- requires a LOT of work (One that I'm willing to commit to with help) and shouldn't be entered into lightly...though any amount of time & effort would be appreciated.

Peace.

~ N

Examples:

~ M

I will say that my preference would be for any mention of toolkitting to be in the same location as the basic power description, and for it to be very minimal.  HERO GM's can use the other core books for further detail; but the information should be in the "Open Box, Play" version, listed with the basic rules entry, in a very streamlined way that doesn't take up much page space.  A little colored-background addendum to each spell, power, talent, feat, whatever.

Character Creation would be a quick "plug & play" method.  Come up with a concept, choose a "Template" at each Step, write the Characteristics/Skills/Combat Values/etc and you're ready to go.  (Think VtM Character Creation...)

The 6th edition Champions genre book (not Champions Complete) has something called the Superhero Gallery in it, which is essentially this.  I think it could very much work for Fantasy Hero, especially in the Open & Play book.  

I will say that my preference would be for any mention of toolkitting to be in the same location as the basic power description, and for it to be very minimal.  HERO GM's can use the other core books for further detail; but the information should be in the "Open Box, Play" version, listed with the basic rules entry, in a very streamlined way that doesn't take up much page space.  A little colored-background addendum to each spell, power, talent, feat, whatever.

Perhaps in a Sidebar? -- but then the Tool Kitting would be short by necessity.  I wouldn't want to scare away people with the "math" here.  That is one of the biggest complaints that people tend to have with Hero's -- it's Math Intensive (Though there are plenty of Math Intensive systems out there...Hero's just Front Loads the Math, as opposed to spreading things out...). Along with being "overly complex & wordy."  (I don't have a problem with either...but I'm olde and cantankerous :P).

Again, this would be focused toward the New Players, not toward the Established Players.  We can make products for the Established Players that is is like the Regular Products, just the "Hero Basic" products would be streamlined.

Don't know if I'm explaining this well...

~ N

The 6th edition Champions genre book (not Champions Complete) has something called the Superhero Gallery in it, which is essentially this.  I think it could very much work for Fantasy Hero, especially in the Open & Play book.  

In concept, yes.  I had forgotten about this.  Thanks for mentioning it Chris.

~ N

Okay, at this point, it might be useful to get some commitment from folks concerning particular tasks, etc. For myself aside from "creative" work, I can do typsetting, graphics creation, layout, PDF and Ebook creation, as well as some web/IT tasks. Another thought occurred to me, that we may actually want to build a website to better facillitate the process of tracking and coordinating this project.

Okay, at this point, it might be useful to get some commitment from folks concerning particular tasks, etc. For myself aside from "creative" work, I can do typsetting, graphics creation, layout, PDF and Ebook creation, as well as some web/IT tasks. Another thought occurred to me, that we may actually want to build a website to better facillitate the process of tracking and coordinating this project.

Agreed.  Count me in.

I suspect that we'll have people filling many different "Jobs."

I can do Creative Writing, Layout/Design, Typesetting, PDF Creation, Graphics (To an extent - I have issues w/hand art due to physical disabilities :( )  For software I have Adobe CS2/InDesign2 & Corel6. For word processing I use LiberOffice.

We can decide on exactly what the first project should be as we get a team together: Specific Genre, Established Setting (Legality with Hero Games??), What Exactly (Full Setting, Adventure, etc), and more.  For now, I'd suggest getting a team together and perhaps keeping our ambitions realistic -- start small at first, then work on a larger project(s) as we grow/get comfortable doing this sort of thing.

Peace.

~ N

Agreed.  Count me in.

I suspect that we'll have people filling many different "Jobs."

I can do Creative Writing, Layout/Design, Typesetting, PDF Creation, Graphics (To an extent - I have issues w/hand art due to physical disabilities :( )  For software I have Adobe CS2/InDesign2 & Corel6. For word processing I use LiberOffice.

We can decide on exactly what the first project should be as we get a team together: Specific Genre, Established Setting (Legality with Hero Games??), What Exactly (Full Setting, Adventure, etc), and more.  For now, I'd suggest getting a team together and perhaps keeping our ambitions realistic -- start small at first, then work on a larger project(s) as we grow/get comfortable doing this sort of thing.

Peace.

~ N

Good, I have access to Adobe CC and every version before that. I typically do all my text work in InDesign, though I also have access to MS word and virtually any other DTP or GA program. Also, I do all my work in the Mac OS, though I can transliterate, etc if need be. I think the first thing to be determined is if we want to have people pitch settings first (which seems the natural order) or build pieces willy-nilly and then shoe horn them in.

(BlueCloud2k2 and I talked about this through Messaging...not posting for him...)

This wouldn't necessarily be for the experienced Hero Gamer.  It would be an Introduction to New Players.  Think of this as kind of like the D&D Basic to Immortal Sets: Basic Set (1st - 3rd Level), Expert Set (4th - 14th Level), Companion Set (15th - 25th Level), Master Level (26th - 36th Level) and Immortal Set (Well...Immortals).  This would be an Introduction, leading into the Main Hero Rules.  You'd have a very simplified character creation built through a Modified Template structure, with all "Powers" having their game effects described in the Flavor Text -- accompanied by standard Hero Rules States.  Some Tool Kitting could be included in the back, with a short introduction/explanation of the Hero System (not overwhelming...), in order to attract New Players.

As far as a "Human Package Deal" -- Why not??  Each Race gets a Base in each Characteristic (Example: Human's get 10's. Elves get 8's or 10's in most things, while some are lower or higher. Same with the other races.).  You write any "Specials" (Powers, etc) that go along with the Race. Then move on to the next Step.  Keeping the Points Even at each Step allows for things to Balance at the end.  Again...K.I.S.S..

I know this is Jarring to the regular Hero Player, but I'm trying to "Think Outside the Box" here.  Trying to attract New Players.  If we keep doing the same thing over, and over, and over...then the number of new player's that we attract will continue to diminish, and eventually we'll all be old fogies wishing for the "Good Olde Days."   This doesn't mean that the System needs to be changed -- it doesn't.  Just that a simpler "Plug & Play Character Creation" might -- just might -- attract a few new players, which might spread...and eventually, some of these new Player's might spend the time to learn the System, spend a little money and help expand the overall Line.  A long-term strategy....not a quick fix.

Note: I am not necessarily wedded to the "Human, Elves, Dwarves, etc" thing, or even a Fantasy Setting (Despite this being a Fantasy Forum).  This would have to be decided by a group consensuses as to the Genre, What was being done (Full Setting, Adventure, Character/Monster/Power Book, etc), along with a great many other details.  Something like this -- even small -- requires a LOT of work (One that I'm willing to commit to with help) and shouldn't be entered into lightly...though any amount of time & effort would be appreciated.

Peace.

~ N

Yes.  Exactly.

Thus we have:

I agree that the tool-kitting must be in the book.  I just think it should be in a Part Two or Appendix.  Safely tucked out of sight until they are understand the game play enough to want to make changes. 

Good, I have access to Adobe CC and every version before that. I typically do all my text work in InDesign, though I also have access to MS word and virtually any other DTP or GA program. Also, I do all my work in the Mac OS, though I can transliterate, etc if need be. I think the first thing to be determined is if we want to have people pitch settings first (which seems the natural order) or build pieces willy-nilly and then shoe horn them in.

Gather together.  Then, as for "Setting," decide on exactly what we want to do.  I wouldn't go willy-nilly/hog-wild.  We need to be on the same sheet-of-music, otherwise we'll be spinning our wheels.

I work on a PC, but nowadays's that isn't as much of an issue as far as cross-platform comparability goes.

~ N

I agree that the tool-kitting must be in the book.  I just think it should be in a Part Two or Appendix.  Safely tucked out of sight until they are understand the game play enough to want to make changes. 

(Nod...)  If it is anywhere else, it should be minimal...but I'm more for a Part X/Appendix section.

~ N

Gather together.  Then, as for "Setting," decide on exactly what we want to do.  I wouldn't go willy-nilly/hog-wild.  We need to be on the same sheet-of-music, otherwise we'll be spinning our wheels.

I work on a PC, but nowadays's that isn't as much of an issue as far as cross-platform comparability goes.

~ N

The only real issue with cross-platform will be fonts. Some don't cross the threshold well, but otherwise, yeah no real problems there. As far as where we work.... I would suggest here until a rough framework of people and "duties" is hashed out, and then via email and perhaps keeping live files in a dropbox account all the people involved have access to. This seems to be the easiest way considering the obvious separation of time, location and duties this entails.

The only real issue with cross-platform will be fonts. Some don't cross the threshold well, but otherwise, yeah no real problems there. As far as where we work.... I would suggest here until a rough framework of people and "duties" is hashed out, and then via email and perhaps keeping live files in a dropbox account all the people involved have access to. This seems to be the easiest way considering the obvious separation of time, location and duties this entails.

Font's are always an issue, even between the same platform.  I'd say keep it to a basic Font for review, and allow the person(s) who are doing the Layout & Design hash out the Layout & Design worry about the Fonts.

Agreed on the Duties.

Agreed on e-mail & dropbox.  Question: Is there a "dropbox" that has a post/forum/on-site message for collaboration purposes?

All logical.

~ N

~ N

I really don't think the setting needs to be that developed.  At least not to the level that HERO gamers tend to expect.  Take a good look at the D&D books.  Just how developed was the 'world'.  Not much at all.  They gave you material needed to build a PC and some info on creatures and treasure.   A basic world/region map.   That was pretty much it. 

I really don't think the setting needs to be that developed.  At least not to the level that HERO gamers tend to expect.  Take a good look at the D&D books.  Just how developed was the 'world'.  Not much at all.  They gave you material needed to build a PC and some info on creatures and treasure.   A basic world/region map.   That was pretty much it. 

If I may.  Perhaps, at first, a quick Adventure (to get our feet wet) that contains everything that the players need: Pregen PCs, Plot, NPCs, Monsters, etc.  Things would have to be explained a bit more in-depth than normal when it comes to how the system works, but not to the point that it would take the place of the Core System (We're not trying to replace Hero...just attract new players afterall)

I know this is kind of counter-intuitive nowadays, but it would be a starting point.  It doesn't have to be long, indeed a somewhat short adventure that is focused and stays on target would probably be best (as much as adventures can do that with player's involved :P )

After that, move on to bigger projects, such as a Setting.

~ N