"Power Vendors" in DC Universe?

DShomshak

I read a Green arrow story long ago where a young psycho was buying weapons and things to build a villain identity from a guy who's business was equipping villains. The psycho thug then turned around and shot the guy. Don't know if he was part of something bigger, or if he worked alone. I always imagined he was part of a bigger group.

The person to ask would be the Calculator. As information broker supreme to the underworld, he can get you anything you want, including powers, i imagine. He'd be a good middle man/agent.

Lex Luthor's "Everyman" business is the closest match I can think of.

The Evil Factory and, post-New 52, N.O.W.H.E.R.E., both have the capacity to do this but mostly operate with agendas other than providing origin stories for pay. I don't think either is above a little profiteering to fund their larger goals, however.

Bannerman Pharmaceuticals was the developer of both Hourman's Miraclo formula and its variant, Bane's "Venom" drug. I don't think there is a general "we will ensuper you for pay" story involving them yet, but presumably it's got a profit motive for its activities. By the same token, though, I suppose the bottlers of Gingold Juice, Elongated Man's soft drink, would count.

Also think of the time period. In the Golden Age, out and out supervillians were rare. Most of the time, superheros fought gainsters and mad scientists. The only one who fought an occasional supervillian was Wonder Woman, and then it was mostly Mars.

But the question wasn't limited to the Golden Age, was it?

The Cadmus Project was an example of a different trope, the Program. But a related trope, it's true. The chief difference is whether the people trying to create superheumans are doing it for a particular sponsor, to further that sponsor's interests, or (apparently) for anyone willing to pay the price. Cadmus was only one U. S. government program to create superbeings. I recall that Will Payton became Starman through an accidental deflection of the energies meant for another government program. He later met the pissed-off super-soldiers that program created.

Over in Marvel, the two Serpent Squads were products of programs from the evil Roxxon Corporation. Many other examples -- the trope is a lot more common than the Power Vendor.

As Christopher points out, the methods used by a Power Vendor must not be too cheap or easy, or why isn't the world even more full of supers? The limiting factor on a Power Vendor or Program can be as important, from a story POV, as the mechanism for origins.

Dean Shomshak

Steriaca: A Program could become a Power Vendor, or vice-versa, over time; or a Program could hire a Power Vendor. Like, imagine a country that wants a corps of super-soldiers but doesn't have enough native mutants to train, the tech for powered armor or cyborgs, or other available resources. The government might just hire a vendor such as Marvel's Power Broker, Inc. to augment a group of loyal soldiers. If it's an unpleasant regime, so what if half of them die or are horribly mutated into mindless monsters? If the government is somewhat more responsible, the soldiers are volunteers who know the process is dangerous.

QM: Yeah, Will "Starman Payton was great. One of my favorites from DC. I never cared much for DC's A-list characters like Batman and Superman: Too much history (and sometimes, too many titles published at once). I preferred Blue Devil, Halk and Dove, Booster Gold, etc.

Dean Shomshak

• 1 month later...