ARENA GAMES: General Discussion (Season 3)

Logan D. Hurricanes

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was curious about pulling out some extra data from the info we are given day by day. So I have taken my spread sheet and have running totals of all the points just like Log's results page. But in addition to that I have total END and Total Vote tallies along with averages of those. 

This week isn't over but to pick up a couple interesting bits:

• Average point spending is 10.75 for the week

• Pariah nor SKJAM! have spend any points

• I have the easy lead with 28

• Average votes received is 35.25 for the week

• Top votes received is SKJAM! at 45 and Pariah at 44

• Fewest votes received is me at 23, and then E84 at 26.

So, it would seem that Pariah, SKJAM! and I are at the extremes this week. 

Foreign Orchid. 

PS: I added in a spot for dice rolls. It would seem that E84 is ahead of the pack with an average of 13.25 and Steve is worst off with an average of 8.5.

Oh, I'm running stats, too. But I'm not sharing them for free. :tonguewav

Well, you know me and my anti-capitalist ways. ^^

That said, one thing I want to track but takes more time to input than I want is individual character votes and vote difference for win loss. That is to say, If Danvers gets 10 votes but Thor gets 15, I would track that Danvers got 10, a loss, and -5 for that comparison. Or for Thor, 15, a win, and +5. This would let us cue into individuals who are doing extremely well on average in garnering votes. 

Foreign Orchid. 

I just finished updating my spreadsheet. 

Things of interest:

Most End Spent was still me at 35. Average is 13. Lowest is still SKJAM! and Pariah at 0. 
Most votes received is Pariah at 53 and SKAJAM! at 50. Average is 42. I am the lowest with 29 and E84 with 30. 
Luckiest person is E86 with an average roll of 13.2 (2.4 above the next best).

The Most Unlucky person is Steve at 8.6 (0.6 worse than the next worse). 

Remaining END Total (Post Recovery - not accounting for any extras from the Commish) -- Win:Loss value

Foreign Orchid : 36  ---- 3:2

Psybolt : 37  -------------- 4:1
Enforcer 84 : 23  -------- 2:3
SKJAM! : 61  ------------- 2:3
Steve : 34  ---------------- 0:5

Bigbywolfe : 32 ---------- 3:2
LadyPariah : 31  --------- 3:2
Pariah : 50  --------------- 3:2

Foreign Orchid. 

Perhaps I relied too much on popularity power.

To give you more context on this point, if you spent merely 70% the average END, you would have had a clean sweep of ALL your matches. This would have left you minus 45 END, though. Had you only spent 5 points a day, you would have picked up two more wins. Even one point a day would have given you an extra win. 

I had to rely on other, non-popular-vote means to win. My team's popular vote was extremely low. Enforcer84 and I set the lower limits this last week. But all three of my wins were a direct result of my outspending of my opponent. Otherwise I would have lost every match up this last week. 

Foreign Orchid. 

PS: Sans my contribution to the average END, the average END would have been 9.86. My spending alone bumpted it up to 13. 

You feeling a little run down? Need some END? Here's a chance to recover a little bit more on the weekend break. :coach:

1. Elect a team captain and have them give a rousing speech to the rest of the team.  (4 END)

2. Write up a threat assessment of one of the teams you faced in week 1 (3 END)

3. Name your favorite trick arrow. (2 END; +1 END if it's one nobody else names; +1 END for a picture)

Keep in mind that it is 4am my time. So if there are some oddities in what follows, blame it on that. ^^

--

"Science Buddies Assemble!" I jokingly call out. "It would seem that the mysterious being simply known as "The Commish" has requested that all team managers pick a team captain to help lead the teams into the next week." I pause for a moment as I look over my team with a sense of pride and hope. "This will be the first time in three seasons that my team has had an official team captain. I always acted in that roll until now but it would seem that we need to officially pick one."

"And what does that actually mean, Orchid?" Barry asks. "I mean, what will the team captain be required to do?"

Everyone's eyes once again fall upon me. "Well, to be honest, I am not really sure. Again, this is the first time we have HAD to pick a team captain."

"Has no one else ever had a team captain before then?" Tim asks. "Is there going to be a Team Captains match, then?" 

"No, and maybe no. I think. Hope really." I start to stutter. "Most every team in the previous seasons had team Captains. I just never felt the need. And while we obviously never had a team captain's fight, I wouldn't put that past the Commish, either." I start to gather myself and look on with more authority. "Look, all I know is we need to pick one. And while I was given no explicit instructions on how to pick, I thought it best to just..."

"Pick the one person who has actually lead teams of supers into fights" 'Peter' chimes in mid sentence. "I will take up this duty" he continues on. 

Giving 'Peter' a long hard look, "Other than team captain we have one more duty that I think you are better suited to 'Superior' Spiderman". Accentuating the Superior to help reinforce that I know that is going on behind the mask. "No, I was thinking that we should go with The Flash on this issue". I begin to gesture to Barry to come up in front of everyone.

In a quick blur of color Barry makes it up and looks out at everyone. "Well then, Flash, do you care to make an inaugural speech as the new team captain?" I playfully suggest. 

Pulling at his costume so as to straighten it a bit, Barry looks out to everyone. And following a quick clearing of his throat he begins:

"Thank you, Orchid. I guess I am the team captain for Team Science Buddies this season. I am still getting used to the idea of some mysterious all powerful force dragging us here to engage in area style combat but I can't say it is the weirdest thing I have experienced. 

This week we had it rough. Luckily we did pull out of it all with a 60% win rate but I know we can do better than that. While I know the other teams are made up by some of the most impressive individuals from across the universes and that going one on one with any of them is going to be hard, it is not impossible. Even though the other teams can pack a bigger punch than most of us, we've got one thing going for us that they don't: time and an impossibly large IQ. As long as we stay focused on our goals and assess our possible opponents, we should be able to walk into each match prepared. And we should never underestimate the power of being prepared. 

Last week we had one of the largest lopsided matches of the weak with Black Orchid facing off against Mary Marvel. No one betting on that match would have given Black Orchid a shot to pull it off. Indeed, looking back at the numbers, the odds were impossibly skewed against her 3:1. Yet she pulled it off. How did she do that? Determination and Preparation. We knew who our opponents could have fielded and took that knowledge to craft several strategies. Thus even though Black Orchid went into there alone physically, she went in there with the support and back up of this tournament's greatest minds! And that is what is going to give us the edge going forward. Remember, we in here in the Science Buddies' team never fight alone!"

Stretching out his arm into the center of the group, Barry looks out to everyone. Slowly but surely everyone follows up by placing their hands on his. With the last hand laying on top, Barry looks across the group one last time.

"One man, Many minds!" And with that, the group repeats the new slogan as they dip down their hands before raising them up in cheer. 

Team: Science Buddies
Captain: The Flash
Slogan: One Man, Many Minds!

Foreign Orchid. 

--Post Credits scene

Walking over to Spiderman I put my arm around his shoulders. "So, Octavius, about that other job I had for you."

Superior Spiderman Threat Assessment Log:  NQJL

Among the 8 teams competing this season, there is one team that would seem to rank highest for this threat assessment: NQJL. This team is spearheaded by a manager named Pariah. A strange name to be sure but this is not someone to be underestimated. He has been involved in both the prior seasons and achieved great success in the first season with his second place finish and moderate success in his second outing. But don't let the diminished standing fool you into believing his threat level has also diminished. If anything it has increased. He has formed a truly strong team this season. He has 3 Marvel Powerhouses capable of going toe to toe with anyone. If pitted against them, making extreme use of the environment will be necessary as 1 on 1 engagements would surely lead to failure. And the popularity of each member of his team is going to exacerbate the already strained situation. Indeed, their simple speedster, Dash, was able to almost pull off a victory against Gohan, perhaps our single strongest champion in the realm of physical combat. 

Adding to this, we can see that there is a strong strategy behind the choices Pariah makes. Despite no expending any of his bonus reserves, he was able to achieve 3 victories this week and will now be walking into the next week of competition with the second largest reserve available. 

He is anything but his name-sake for sure; he is a popular Manager in control of equally popular characters. His experience in the arena battles has made him bold and that has rewarded him well. 

Tuesday of Week 2 promises to be a hard match. 

-Superior Spiderman

Foreign Orchid.