ARENA GAMES: General Discussion (Season 3)

Logan D. Hurricanes

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It doesn't have to be me," said Cap, looking over the other members of The Paladins.  "I've led two of these Arena teams and we've never done well.  Season one, my decision led to Tony's demise."

"That's not your fault, Steve," said She-Hulk.  "Heck, last year I made you go with the Psy-chos gimmick."

"Yeah, Jen...what were you thinking?" asked Kamala, a big grin plastered across the sweet young teen's face.

"We have several people here who could be our leader this year," said Cap.  "Optimus has led the Autobots in the war versus the Decepticons for years.  Leonardo led the Turtles.  Ororo led the X-Men.  You could be our leader, Jen," said Steve,

"Don't forget about me, Rogers," growled Black Adam. 

"Well, Adam is one of our powerhouses, for sure," Cap said, biting his lip.

"Cap," said Ororo.  "There may be several of us whom could lead this group in these Arena Games, but there is no one better."

"Storm is right," said Moon Knight.  "What has happened in the past is irrelevant.  You are our lead, Captain."

"Cowabunga, Cap," said Leonardo.

"I concur.  Steve Rogers... I will follow you anywhere," said Prime.

Black Adam grumbled, crossed his arms, but said nothing else.

"I have been here with you since day one on this team, Cap," said Kamala.  "You're our leader."

"So...what do you say, Steve?" asked Jen.

"Alright then," said Cap, standing back up.  "Then, we have had a good first week, but we need to continue this each and every week.  The points are evening out among the other teams, and with the new rules, we cannot depend on being able to buy our way out of match-ups.  We have to find our strengths and fill them into the appropriate arenas.  And if we are put in awkward situations, much like Ororo was this past week in the caves, we must overcome.  When we team up, we must work together, and when we lose, we must bond together in support.  The way to win this competition is to become a well oiled machine and have everyone pull their weight."

Cap smiled. 

"Paladins.... Partner!!!!"

"So, my friends," Diego said, "I understand that we are to select a team captain."

"I thought Carol was the team captain," Jen replied.

"It doesn't have to be me."

"Sure it does," Monica offered. "You have military experience and S.H.I.E.L.D. experience, in addition to your stints with the Avengers and the Starjammers. Tactically, you're the best option."

"There is also your experience in the Arena," Diego continued. "You have demonstrated outstanding valor and courage."

"Even if you lost to a Powerpuff Girl."

"Dash, we weren't going to mention that," Billy reminded him sternly.

"Oops. Sorry."

"You are a powerful woman, and more than that, a powerful symbol," Lauren added. "I think you're the only logical choice to lead us."

Carol sighed to herself. Why did it have to be an official thing? The team was coming together just fine without making one of the 'The Leader'. "Look," she offered, "I really appreciate everything you've said. I just wanted to give someone else a chance to...."

"All right, we'll do it your way," Rachel said, cutting her off. "I nominate Captain Marvel Carol Davers as team captain. Do I have a second?"

"I second the nomination," Billy said.

"Nominated and seconded. I move that we close the nominations. Do I...."

"Seconded," Monica offered, a split second before Lauren could.

"Moved and seconded," Rachel confirmed. "All in favor, say 'Aye'."

"Aye," seven voices said in unison.

"The 'Ayes' have it. Carol, you're our captain."

Carol shook her head, a small, wicked smile sneaking briefly across her face. "All right, if that's what you want. I'm honored. Honestly, I am."

"So, captain, what's our plan?"

"Our plan? Our plan is what it's always been. Our plan is to win." The smile returned.

"Very good," Jen said. "How shall we accomplish this, O Captain, my Captain?"

"First of all, if you call me that again, I am going to pop you." Jen's grin matched her own. "But you bring up a good point. We're not going to win with a lot of flowery words and finely-crafted arguments. The voters know who we are and what we can do. So we win by playing smart. We analyze the arenas, we analyze the opposition, and we put the best possible people in place for every match. And the we leave it in the hands of the voters...."

"....who can be fickle," Monica interrupted.

"...and the dice..."

"...which can be absolute pieces of..."

"Hey! We've got little kids here," Billy interjected, cutting off Rachel. Dash looked disappointed.

"And if we're lucky, maybe our illustrious owner will loosen the purse strings and spend a little END now and then," Carol concluded.

"Anything's possible," Diego agreed.

"Whatever happens, though, we do this as a team. We cheer for each other, we support each other, we celebrate together when we win, and we help pick each other up when we lose. As I learned from my time in the Avengers: United, we are strong."

"Amen," Diego added. The others nodded in assent.

"Good," Carol concluded. "Now, go get some rest. We've got twenty-four hours until the next round begins."

The Paladins team meeting.  Debrief on Science Buddies

"Last week, our lone defeat came at the hands of the Science Buddies," started Cap.

"I am shamed by my loss, Captain.  Please do forgive me," said Prime.

"There is nothing to forgive, Optimus.  I have lost matchups before as well.  Blue Beetle beat me once," said Cap.  "But we will be facing the Science Buddies again during one of the two ladies nights this upcoming week, so it would be wise to plan our strategy for this team.  Since it is 'ladies night' on Friday, that means we will not have to deal with Spider-man, Flash, Cyborg, Black Panther or Red Robin."

"Do not forget Gohan," said Optimus, rubbing the back of his head.

"That is good news," said She-Hulk.  "I'd hate to be punching Spidey.  Honestly, no matter how annoying he is, I really like him."

"They say that this Spider-man version is more...dark...willing to do anything," said Moon Knight.

"Ha...that makes him superior," said Black Adam.

"Friday is also on the cargo plane," said Cap, "which means it is a good thing that Elasti-girl is not in this year's competition.  She was always tough in that plane."

"On the Science Buddies... the options would be Dr. Light or Black Orchid," said Storm, "and remember, there is a 'ladies night' on Wednesday of this week."

"True, the results of Wednesday's action could have a distinct effect on what we see on Friday.  Dr. Light is a challenge in this situation.  She has been the backbone of this owner's team for season onesaid Cap, "but she is a flier.  That might be a strike against her."

"But so is Black Orchid," said Kamala.  "Looks like that is a bonus that is out of the Science Buddies hands."

"So that means we probably have to contend with the END.  We know that the Science Buddies were free spenders last week and it led to some success," said Cap.  "I don't know if they will be able to maintain such a pace..."

"Since it is a Friday match up, perhaps the week will have taken a toll on their END reserve," said She-Hulk.

"Maybe, but the owner of the Science Buddies is a master of PR.  The way he would spin the propaganda to make anyone look like they were evil... really played upon the voters' heart.  He is clearly a dangerous foe," said Cap.

"And if anyone could come up with a plan, it is T'Challa," said Storm.  "I wonder if the fates will line us up on opposite sides at some time this season."

"Would you be all right with that, Ororo?" asked Cap.

"I will do what is necessary for the Paladins to emerge victorious," she said after a slight pause.  The sadness was clear.

KNOCK KNOCK

The knocks were a surprise... to all but one.

"Awesome!" shouted Leonardo.  "The pizza is here!"

* * * PARIAHCOM CLASSIFIED DOCUMENT * * *

SUBJECT: Threat Level Assessment -- ICONS

OVERVIEW: This team is filled with capable and dangerous individuals, but has been plagued with bad luck the likes of which is usually reserved for teams like the Chicago Cubs and the Cleveland Browns.

INDIVIDUAL EVALUATIONS:

Power Girl: Jokes about the 'largest fan base under the age of fifteen' aside, Power Girl is a Kryptonian, with all that entails. She is also notably more pragmatic than most Kryptonians, which makes her a particularly dangerous opponent.

Thundra: Not as well-known as some of her teammates, she is strong enough and resilient enough to go toe to toe with Ben Grimm. She is not to be underestimated.

Valkyrie: She is a near-immortal with lifetimes of combat experience. She should be considered the favorite in most matches she finds herself in.

Supergirl: Another Kryptonian powerhouse. Her sweet demeanor should not be mistaken for weakness or lack of resolve--or capability. Those who make such a mistake won't do it twice.

Starfire: This longtime Titan is a powerful warrior, as well as a fan favorite. She'll likely win the vote in most of her matches.

Red Sonja: She's capable of holding her own against practically any non-powered opponent (and many with superpowers). Look for her to make an impact in the Powerless Peril rounds.

Shrinking Violet: Very little data is yet available on this Legionnaire. Her membership in that group will almost certainly translate into votes, however. Her ability to change her size will give her an advantage in several arenas.

Kitana: Overmatched in her first appearance, Kitana is nevertheless a significant threat. In any arena that allows her to use her stealth and teleportation effectively, she will have a decided advantage.

COACHING: The Justice Buddies, Steve's team last season, beat out the Psy-chos, Spectrum, and the Copy-Cats, all returning playoff teams from Season I, to earn a spot in last year's playoffs.  Steve has proven that he can pick the right competitor for each match, and he's shown skill at allocating points.  He'll have the team ready to fight, day in and day out.

SUMMARY: This team is a legitimate threat to make a run at the playoffs. Anyone who believes the team's current won-loss record is truly indicative of their capabilities simply isn't paying attention.

THREAT LEVEL ASSESSMENT: Very High

It was pretty obvious who the captain of Team Justice Force had to be.  Of the members who had leadership experience, Magneto was best known for leading highly dysfunctional teams, and Ant-Man was relatively new at the job.  So it was down to Nightwing, who had led the Teen Titans, Titans and Justice League.

If Magneto minded, he kept it to himself, going into the aloof pose he pulled at these meetings.

Kenshiro and Karate Kid were freshly showered after a sparring match, each learning new techniques from the other.  Of course, Kenshiro's most deadly skills were a secret of North Star Style, but there were less fatal moves in his repertoire.

Spinnerette and Mary Marvel had hit it off, though Spinny was still a bit annoyed that a fifteen year old was the old hand while she got stuck with the rookie slot.  Blue Beetle had taken up residence on the ceiling.

"Thanks, everyone, for a good first week.  We didn't win the majority of our battles, but I hope we all learned something from the defeats, and our manager promises to spring for at least some END juice this week.  Spinnerette, I hope you're prepared, because the way the schedule looks, you'll be going out solo.  If we can out think, out fight and out-popular vote the opponents, I'm sure we'll all do fine.  Each and every one of you is a winner, and you'll be able to show that."

Thing: So we're supposed to do a threat assessment.  I figure we should...

Toph: Whoa!  Who died and left rock-butt in charge?

Rockslide: Last season he led his team to the semi-finals and he's the most experienced one here, so shut it.  These meetings take long enough as it is.

Toph: Sheesh, sorry Rock-Butt Junior. I won't interrupt daddy again.

Thing/Rockslide: We're NOT related!

Warlord (aside to Green Lantern): I was wondering.

Thing: Fine, someone else want to volunteer?  We could change the name to the New New X-Men while we're at it since half of them are here.  Or maybe one of you guys (looking at GL and Warlord) wanna throw your hat in?  I didn't ask to get roped back into this circus.

Green Lantern:  Honestly, I'm still a bit lost.  Most of my experience with dimensional travel have been with alternate realities of my own world.  This is... different.  You all seem to know each other and what's going on.  We'll follow your lead.

Sandman: Alright, so the Thing's in charge, right?  Can we get on with it already?

Thing:  Okay, here's the deal.  Whoever is in charge of this cockamamie thing decided to have a strong "theme" this season, hence the name change and obvious similarity among some of your powers. (Dust and Sandman glance at each other.) That's a good thing in some ways, we know what our strong points are and can compliment each other on tag team matches.  However he sacrificed a lot of raw power from last season and there's a lot of powerhouses out there like Captain Marvel, Thor, and even that Black Adam guy that was on my team last time. 

Green Lantern: Wait, how do you know Captain Marvel?

Thing/Dust: How do you know Captain Marvel?

Toph: Who the heck is "Captain Marvel"!?

Magma: It seems like we have a lot to figure out yet.  Obviously we have some duplicate names, we aren't the only team with "Green Lantern" for example.  No doubt we'll figure some of it out during the threat assessment.  Now Ben, you were saying?

Ben: It's gonna be a tough season, there's a lot of power headed our way, but all of us have faced worse.  A lotta flashy powers and gimmicks won't win if we're careful.  Be smart.  Use your environment.  Play to your strengths.  We're 3-2 right now and that's not too bad.  I'm not much for speechifying so I'll just point out that Salt of the Earth describes a lot of the personality of this team, not just our powers.  Keep it simple, hit 'em hard, work together.  Now, about that threat assessment...

Hmm.  I've been unable to access Google Docs--what are the match rules this week?

Try using the link I have in my sig. Maybe my doc will work better. If not, try using a different browser and see if that helps. I was having issues before, too.

As to the info: 

Monday - Redwood - Standard

Tuesday - Bouvet Island - Standard

Wednesday - Golden Gate Bridge - Ladies Night

Thursday - Santa's Village - Naked Aggression

Friday - Cargo Plane - Ladies Night

Foreign Orchid. 

The ICONS base was solemn as the group contemplated the grim results of the week.

Five straight losses after such a promising victory by their new member Starfire in the pre-season was bitter medicine to swallow.

Kitana looked especially put out, having been almost unanimously rejected by the voters in favor of Captain Marvel. She opened and snapped shut one of her warfans, her mood deadly. Loss was not something the princess of Outworld was comfortable with.

Power Girl shifted her gaze around the table, immediately noting the Hyrkanian woman solemnly sharpening her dagger with deft, efficient moves, the jingle of her chainmail the only sound she made aside from the scraping of steel against stone, her eyes fierce. Starfire, normally the most upbeat of the group, was almost ominously quiet, her thoughts kept to herself. Supergirl, her counterpart from Earth One, was looking to her for guidance, guidance she did not feel confident enough to give. The others were in similar states.

The Commissioner had asked each team to pick a leader, but Power Girl did not view herself as a leader. She knew she worked well with a team as a front line fighter, but leading was different from fighting. Leading meant you had to be inspiring, and she was not a woman gifted with words.

She was about to suggest a vote when the matter was suddenly taken from her hands.

"Enough of this gloom! The season has only begun." Red Sonja buried the tip of her dagger in the tabletop and stood. Valkyrie and Thundra nodded, silently agreeing with the Hyrkanian woman's sentiment.

"What would you suggest?" Power Girl asked mildly. "We are not attracting sufficient votes to overcome deficiencies in our manager's available points to spend or the dice..."

"DICE!" Red Sonja roared. "Mitra take the Commissioner's Set-cursed dice and shatter them on the nearest rock! I look around this table, and I see sisters I would gladly take into battle against armies. And I have fought armies. We should be winning."

"Agreed" Valkyrie contributed.

"B-but maybe we just aren't popular enough," Shrinking Violet said quietly.

"I say we are!" Red Sonja stated firmly. "Who is with me?"

There was a chorus of shouts around the table, and even Kitana was shaken from her dark thoughts to roar her agreement.

"Let them see us as our manager sees us. We are icons, one and all, and the fans will support us if we show them we are not cowed by these early losses."

Power Girl smiled a grim smile.

The team had found its captain, and one who could rouse armies to fight. Now let the other teams beware.

ICONS Team Captain: Red Sonja

Threat Assessment:  Salt of the Earth.

This team is thematically linked to earth, rock and the planet.  Unfortunately, none of the arenas are in the vacuum of space.

The Thing, their leader, is well known for his decades of experience, his willpower, and being a tank.  He is much brighter than his diction would lead the unwary to believe, fully able to understand the operation of high technology if not necessarily the advanced physics involved.  His weaknesses include fluctuating power levels, periodic difficulty dealing with his appearance and how it separates him from common humanity, and a poor temper.  This last is the only one likely to come up in our battles, as none of us can manipulate DNA or use mind control.  His ranged attacks are limited to what he can throw, and a less effective version of the Hulk's clap.  Kenshiro believes he can still target Ben Grimm's pressure points, but this will take extra time for him to move the plates of the Thing's armor aside, during which he will be in arm's reach.  The Thing is also slightly less flexible than a normal human, but has spent years in combat training to deal with the problem.

Sandman has the ability to turn into sand, change shape at will, and absorb sand to become larger.  He apparently also has learned to transform parts of his body to glass for various purposes.  His primary weakness is that he's not a fast thinker---most of his victories have come from figuring out a good plan first (even if that plan is just "strike from behind") while his defeats are usually due to his opponents coming up with new tactics on the fly.  Kenshiro is not sure if his pressure points can be struck except when he has a humanoid shape.

Dust has similar powers to Sandman, but is far less experienced.  She is somewhat resistant to magic and telepathy, but weak against wind and water.  Again, pressure points may be difficult to impossible to press.

Rockslide is also a metamorph, but with rock, rather than sand and thus far less flexible.  His form is similar to a "golem" with great strength and durability.  He can be blown apart, but can then reassemble himself from local materials, which may allow him different properties based on the rock he is composed of.   His primary weakness is emotional, being brash and easy to make overconfident.  He may have a "keystone" that control of will prevent his reforming.

Magma controls/summons magma, and can cause earthquakes by moving magma, even at great depths.  Once the magma is summoned, she is coated in a flaming aura that projects light and heat, and protects her from same.  She may also be immune to poisonous gases while her powers are active.  She has strong recuperative abilities while standing on the Earth; removing her from it slows this down.  She is not, however, made of magma, and her nerve structure should be basically human in nature.  Initially, she had trouble controlling her emotions, but this does not seem to be the case in the current day.

The Warlord is a skilled swordsman and pistol shot, and remarkably fit for his age.  He's familiar with how to defeat mages, and has sometimes used a deadly magical sword.  He is otherwise human.

Green Lantern has powers similar to those of other Green Lanterns, but draws his power from The Green, the lifeforce of the ecosphere, especially plants.  Thus in addition to the usual energy constructs, flight, energy beams, etc., Mr. Scott can also command plants and make them grow at accelerated rates, as well as heal injuries.  He is relatively new to his powers, and may be confusable.  His pressure points appear to be human at this time, unlike some other protectors of the Green.

Toph Bei-Fong is a highly skilled martial artist with the ability to telekinetically control earth, rock and metal.  She is blind, but senses anything touching the ground, making her effective attack and defense range 360 degrees.  She is somewhat weaker against opponents that don't touch the ground, but has learned basic defenses against these.  Her pressure points appear to be normal human.

All in all, a very formidable team unless you can get them into a zero-gravity environment. 

Let's take a look at one of the teams we lost to this week.  The Paladins are a tough team.  Even though our loss was mostly the dice's fault, it was an extremely close match.  Ms. Marvel has shown to be extremely popular and last season did fairly well even when outmatched in terms of power. 

Captain America is, of course, Cap. What can I say?  He's got popularity, skill, smarts, and that shield of his helps even the odds against opponents that should be way out of his league.  He may be considered "only human", but his abilities are next to none and his popularity is a major issue in this type of contest.

Shulkie is quite a dame.  She's not as strong as her cousin, but she is a powerhouse nevertheless.  She has a lot of finesse and relies on skill more than a lot of heavy hitters do, making her doubly dangerous.  She even served on the FF for a while, though of course no one could ever replace yours truly.

Storm can control weather and fly, but that's more dangerous than it sounds.  She can drop lighting like it's nothing and drop the temp to near arctic on a hot summer day.  Add in her experience in hand to hand combat and strategy as a leader of the X-men and we have a powerful opponent who can stay out of reach of many of us.

Moon Knight is another great hand to hand fighter.  I know some of you aren't too worried about taking a punch, but he gets pretty strong when the moon is full and he has a lot of gadgets too.  He has no problem taking a punch if it means he'll be able to hit you too and he has thrown weapons and is pretty stealthy for a guy who sneaks around at night in all white clothing.  Basically, he's tougher than he sounds.

Black Adam.  I worked with that schmuck last season.  Guy can be okay but he's a bit full of himself.  Anyway, he's one we really need to watch out for powers-wise.  He's got high end super strength along with speed, agility, and he can shoot lighting.  He's tough.  His biggest weakness is that he doesn't seem to be that popular.  To much of a "dark anti-hero" vibe for some voters, and that's when he's not a villain.  Truth be told I got a bit confused about his backstory with two different pantheons of gods and time travel and alternate versions and what not.  Short version, he's a tough one, be careful and try to act popular.

The turtle is a turtle... that's a ninja.  I kid you not.  Apparently he is really good, he leads a team of turtles that all do ninja...stuff.  I'm sure he's a tough opponent or he wouldn't be here.  (I'm getting a headache, how the heck am I supposed to assess the threat level of a friggin' turtle...with swords)

And then there's Optimus Prime.  He's a great big robot who turns into a truck.  He's strong and has a laser gun of some kind.  I assume he's a bit tougher than a normal truck so be careful, but other than that I'm not sure what to say other than almost all of us have taken on our share of giant robots... What?  Magma, could you explain to Toph what a robot is?  Thanks.

Okay, that's it.  Any questions?  Good.  Let's get out there and bust some skulls, huh?

My threat assessment is for Armies of Heaven:

*Having Sif as a team captain...she is a strong leader. Much experience and an Asgardian God. Definitely many strengths.

*Mister Miracle and Big Barda. What do you say about such a bad a** team? I don't think they were beat last season as a duo. Great team. And Barda was MVP from Season 1. Definite threats.

*Cosmic Boy is a Legion character with control over one of the fundamental forces of nature.

*Longshot was an X-Men with control over luck, which in this arena may serve him well.

*Colleen Wing is a samurai weapons master with stealth and speed healing. All things which can serve her well in the arena.

*Bronze Tiger-wild and untamed, he is an expert tracker and a weapons master. Stealth and stamina are strengths often overlooked but great advantages, especially in certain arenas.

*Crush-although not as well known she has much experience, has had a career as a superhero. She has Density Control to make herself heavier and stronger. She is smart, strong, and has enhanced durability. All great assets in the games.

Definitely a high threat with many assets to work with in this team.