Else Earth: Schools for Gifted Youngsters

Enforcer84

With the first big boom in costumed heroes happening in the 30's - that's Four-Score plus years of metahuman champions and villains. The birthrate for metahumans skyrocketed as well and thus there has been need for places where young naturalized metas can learn to use their powers in addition to all the other things kids gotta learn.

Firstly, there are the government run facilities. Depending on the nation in question (and all first world nations and more than a few emerging nations have something) it can be less scholastic and more bootcamp. 

There are nine known (At least in the Superheroic Community) privately funded schools, three in the US, two in the UK, One in Australia, one in Ethiopia and one in Japan, the schools are all accredited academically and have something of an interscholastic relationship with one another. They are:

• The Prescott Academy, Portland, OR.  Founded in 1989 by Professor James Prescott, brother to the Golden Paladin a "mutant" hero in the 70s and early 80's. Professor Prescott's brother died in 1985 and he started the school to give back and to help take care of John's children. the Prescott Academy is K-12 education, with students living on campus or at home depending on preference. 
  • New Salem Academy, Salem, MA. Originally the Salem Academy, founded in irony by wizards in Salem Town in 1700 after the witch trial fervor had dissipated the Academy was closed from 1887 to 1954 due to corrupting influences and the locale labelled as haunted. In 1954 the campus was exorcised and razed, a new school built on the grounds of the old. The New Salem Academy opened it's doors in 1961 to a new generation of magically gifted youths. The school focuses on magic and supernatural having opened up enrollment to therianthropes, demigods, half-fey, and other supernatural youngsters even if they weren't active practitioners of magic. Accepts ages 11 and up. 
  • St. Martin School for Advanced Studies, Kalispell, MO. Founded by Dr. James Peterson, St. Martin's accepts k-12 students and promises their parents a safe, small town experience. 
  • Woodbridge, Hull, England. Founded by former British Superhero Skyforge in 1971, Woodbridge is one of the most publically known of the metahuman prepschools. Receiving charter to run as a Primary and Secondary school they accept students age 5 to 16. They have a positive reputation but the old joke "If one explodes, it's only Hull." occasionally still pops up. 
  • Osburn School, Aberdeen Scotland, UK. Another school centered on Magic and the Supernatural, founded in 1627. Thanks to a generous (and private) donation from Magewerks, Osburn has Earth's only school for Technomancy. Takes ages 3-18.
  • Wippering Academy, Darwin, Northern Territory, AUS. Founded relatively recently by Philanthropist and former "Techie for the Heroes of Australia" Bart Talbott, this T-12 school is a high-tech bastion of learning and understanding that occasionally has to fend off advances from the government who want to absorb it.
  • Kyoto National Academy, Kyoto, Japan. If Woodbridge is publically known, the KNA is legendary. Founded in 1960 by two Japanese heroes from WWII and the Hyrn Invsasion, the school initially operated on a much more low-key level. But in 1975, the school was attacked by the Iron Dragon Society who sought to collect the young metahumans for their own purposes. The faculty and students repulsed the very public attack and ever since has been the subject of fanciful stories with several manga and anime using it as a backdrop. Many of the students go on to become famous and popular no matter what side of good or evil they end up or even if they take part at all. 
  • The Utopia Institute Preparatory Academy, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Founded in 2000 by the Utopia Institute as part of their bid to eliminate disease, hunger, and suffering in Africa, this academy accepts students from any african nation with metahuman biology. If your child's hair glows green, they receive a full scholarship. This is a k-12 American-Style education system with emphasis on sciences and technology. 
  • Hyperion Institute Academy of the Mind, Stockholm, SWE. A school that trains espers, psionics, and mentalists in better using their powers as well as psionic etiquette. 

In addition, there are three academies that are unnamed, non-accredited and for the most part known only to a few. These cater to the children of supervillains.

Divinity Academy - created by the mysterious group of megalomaniacs known as the Divine Right, the Academy is a highly secretive, decentralized set of campuses scattered throughout the world, though mostly in Europe. Using the "Dark Net" much of the actual education is done online with power training and other criminal activities taught at safe-houses and hidden complexes. Includes a very thorough and self-serving education in history, political science, sociology and the arts. It's a breeding ground for one day master villains.

The Minion Academy for Young Monsters - created by the Myrmidon as a side offering to his clients to help their children cope with metahuman powers, learn to deal with underlings and heroes alike. Campuses are located in Los Angeles, Athens (Greece), London, Moscow, and Saskatchewan (Alberta, Canada)

St Mary's Academy for Girls - a legitimate girls school in NYC run by a headmistress always on the look-out for young, impressionable metahuman girls she can add to her Clique. 

Wippering Academy, Darwin, Northern Territory, AUS. Founded relatively recently by Philanthropist and former "Techie for the Heroes of Australia" Bart Talbott, this T-12 school is a high-tech bastion of learning and understanding that occasionally has to fend off advances from the government who want to absorb it.

Darwin? Oh my.

Rough town?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_Northern_Territory

Just a few choice tidbits:

• 18 August 1983 – Douglas Crabbe rammed his 25 ton Mack truck into a motel bar at the base of Uluru, killing 5 people.
  • 1999 – Rodney Ansell, inspiration for the 1986 film, Crocodile Dundee, killed Sergeant Glen Hutison before being killed by police.
  • 2 February 2010 – A disgruntled customer used a trolley based device and bombed the Territory Insurance Office in Darwin City injuring 15.

Never been to Darwin. But everyone I know who has describes it much the same way: full of weird, weird people. Scary weird. Less Crocodile Dundee, more Wolf Creek. And remember it's hot all year round. Really hot.

Strange, angry people + lots of heat = some interesting situations.

I will visit it someday.

The Prescott Academy, Portland, OR.  Founded in 1989 by Professor James Prescott, brother to the Golden Paladin a "mutant" hero in the 70s and early 80's. Professor Prescott's brother died in 1985 and he started the school to give back and to help take care of John's children. the Prescott Academy is K-12 education, with students living on campus or at home depending on preference. 

Located in the West Hills, with the Phil Knight memorial library....Right?

The Prescott Academy, Portland, OR.  Founded in 1989 by Professor James Prescott, brother to the Golden Paladin a "mutant" hero in the 70s and early 80's. Professor Prescott's brother died in 1985 and he started the school to give back and to help take care of John's children. the Prescott Academy is K-12 education, with students living on campus or at home depending on preference. 

Located in the West Hills, with the Phil Knight memorial library....Right?

Over my dead body...:) Close though

Rough town?

Yes, but the main reason why I questioned it was that it has what I would consider to be the disadvantages of remoteness from civilisation without the advantages of remoteness from civilisation.

Basically, I wouldn't send my children there.

That's a whole lot of preppies. Which raises the question of who, exactly, is defending Else Earth.

Captain Volunteer Intern: "Okay, everybody, Plan A-2! Get in, blast this extra-galactic eldritch monstrosity, and have it done in time for me to get back to Starbucks before my fifteen is up!"

The Amazing Volunteer Intern: "Hey, Cap, it you lose your job again, you're not couch surfing at my place!"

Super Volunteer Intern: "Yeah, cuz the 'rents won't let you!"

Volunteer Intern Girl: "It's not really living with your parents if you pay rent."

Queen Volunteer Intern: "Yeah, like a hundred bucks a month is real rent."

The Invincible Volunteer Intern: "It's more than you make. And don't tell me that you'll be getting full time hours in the summer. I need you to pay me back before I get kicked out of my place."

Volunteer Interniac 5: "Hold on, guys. Just five more minutes, and Todd and Buffie'll be able to split the party and help out!"

Had a bit of an idea on how students of the New Salem Academy might look (training outfit-wise),

and this is what I came up with -- Gabriel Hawthorne and Lyrielle Oakheart, both of whom are

currently in their sophomore year at NSA:

post-10891-0-75277300-1438024020_thumb.jpg

Gabriel is a seventh-generation wizard-in-training (a seventh son of a seventh son), while Lyrielle is the

half-elven daughter of a full-blooded Elven nobleman and a human sorceress. While both of them are

now the best of friends (with a bit of a romantic attachment thrown in), this wasn't always the case; in-

deed, when they first met, they nearly came to blows due to an accidentally-cast spell on Gabriel's part

(he'd been trying to change the form of a vase into something else, only for the spell to be changed and

deflected away from the vase because of an existing enchantment upon it). The spell in question struck

Lyrielle and permanently changed her hair color from its original black to the platinum blonde that it has

remained to this day. Although she was upset with the change, she eventually accepted it (along with

Gabriel's heartfelt apologies) and came to appreciate the attention she got because of it, especially from

the male student body. But it was Gabriel's attention that she appreciated most of all, and the two event-

ually became friends.

Their families have likewise become friends, and they all spend their Summer vacations together, alternating

between Else Earth and the Land of Legends (where Lyrielle's family lives). Although the two teens don't

realize it, this closeness between their families has come about as the result of a visit from an Elven seeress,

who told both families that Gabriel and Lyrielle were not only destined to be together, but that they would also

face great danger to themselves in the future, and that only together could they hope to survive it. Since then,

their families have been giving the two teens additional instruction in the mystic arts, both in the Elven and

Human traditions. Neither has been told of the seeress' pronouncement regarding them as yet.

Major Tom 2009 :cool: